Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

jolly topper in finglas

witnessed 2 murders there..........i win

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Don't know whether this has been posted already, nevertheless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

jimpump wrote: »
    jolly topper in finglas

witnessed 2 murders there..........i win

/thread

**ding ding**
    Yep I agree a winner alright, I use to stay with my cousin out there years ago, I remember another pub in Finglas village, "The bottom of the hill" it was notorious for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

44leto wrote: »
    **ding ding**
    Yep I agree a winner alright, I use to stay with my cousin out there years ago, I remember another pub in Finglas village, "The bottom of the hill" it was notorious for similar reasons.

yeah man, the bottom of te hill used to be notorious, changed a lot now tho....half the ra does be on the doors there so not as bad as it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

CHealy wrote: »
    The Fob and Gill in Mayfield, Cork. The place has no windows. Had to go there for a christening afters, once the locals found out me and my brother were from Turners cross on the southside the mood took a dive, never erver goin back there. They call it the ROB and Kill

FYP :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I used to go to Parnell Mooney's every Wednesday downstairs for the Reggae night and it was one of the safest places in Dublin. Packed full of hippies, foreign students and hash.

I remember bringing two mates there and told them it was fine to roll a joint, que bouncer coming down and their faces dropping. Bouncer goes "you know the one rule in here lads? You don't roll your joints on the table" smiles and walks off.

Good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

RasTa wrote: »
    I used to go to Parnell Mooney's every Wednesday downstairs for the Reggae night and it was one of the safest places in Dublin. Packed full of hippies, foreign students and hash.

I remember bringing two mates there and told them it was fine to roll a joint, que bouncer coming down and their faces dropping. Bouncer goes "you know the one rule in here lads? You don't roll your joints on the table" smiles and walks off.

Good times

I love the trad scene and the Mooney had a great trad group playing at the weekends downstairs. It was a more Ra inclined trad scene, but non the less some great songs whether you believe in the cause or not (which I never did).

I never really stayed after 12, but jaysus what a kip, some of the clientèle were scary people and those were the women, the men were right lunatics.
    I never got into any trouble there, but I was accused of been a copper sometimes. Needless to say I denied it vehemently, a number of people have been shot in that place.

I haven't being there in years, I wonder what it is like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

PARNELL MOONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

maybe donaghmede bin

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

The Norfolk arms off Holloway road in North London .It stank as you opened the door .A smell so putrid it would make you vomit .
    A old Irish lady ran it and it was never cleaned properly .That was years ago ,and its probably gone by now .

• Advertisement

luckyfrank wrote: »
    PARNELL MOONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes ,that was/is some hole .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Don't know whether this has been posted already, nevertheless...

rough Paddy Pub ....must be in kilburn ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Kippure wrote: »
    The best pub ever. The down stairs had a pallet for a stage. Lost of good skin head and punk bands played there. Cans of smithwicks there were Price 1.22 old money.

Used to go in there with the oul fella after he'd get the wages. It wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Place called 'Noras' in Carrick-on-suir...holy christ! that place is dodgy. You can buy a can there drink half, they'll write your name on it with marker, put it in the fridge and hand it back to you next time you're in!! no smoking ban there either...NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

The Office in Bray.

A friend of mine was on crutches and v. v. drunk. He slipped backwards poured his drink on this guy who went mental and started kicking him on the ground. He was held back by one of his friends after a while. I got the bouncer.
    Then my friend was carried out by the female barstaff while the male bouncers supervised.
    I don't think the other guy had to leave at all.
    Really very strange.

fryup wrote: »
    rough Paddy Pub ....must be in kilburn ?

""Mother black cap " its a well known Gay pub in Camden ,London .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

anto9 wrote: »
    The Norfolk arms off Holloway road in North London .It stank as you opened the door .A smell so putrid it would make you vomit .
    A old Irish lady ran it and it was never cleaned properly .That was years ago ,and its probably gone by now .

looks like its closed but not gone..

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/n19_upperholloway_norfolkarms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In ireland probably finches in clondalkin. I was doing volunteer work in south africa a few years ago in the kwazulu natal province. Working in a school in the middle of nowhere it was the poorest place I have ever been. No running water, no electricity, most people lived in shacks, no roads just dirt tracks. There was "bar" down the road from the place we were staying. The nuns told us never to go there so on our first night we went straight to it. It was a small shack with holes in the roof and absolutely packed, local men only. They served vodka and beer and that was it. Apparently its a no go zone for whites but we didn't speak xhosa so we didn't know what was going on. We left after the barman starting gesturing at us with his shotgun. Next morning we found out that a couple of hours after we left a man was killed with a hammer in a fight outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    In Ireland, a place called The Ramble Inn at the back of a housing estate in Killester Dublin. Seriously dodgy spot, the locals reckoned we were cops and followed me into the jacks anytime I went. There was a fella shot dead outside it a week later.

Yeah he was shot in the bookies while he was having a day in the pub.. Christy Barry. Not a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

not a dodgy pub at all but just remembered a place in limerick up an alleyway.
    was a sort of dark , dingy place but i thought it was great , went back about 10 years ago and asked for it but was told it had closed.
    anyone got the name of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

In Dublin, easily the Chancery. Crowd is 75% brazzers, gangsters, trannies, corpo workers and junkies, 25% endurance revelers.

It's generally grand though, and definitely the best pint of Guinness you'll get at 7 in the morning anywhere in town.

But, there was the morning a car battery got fúcked in through the window.

And the time my mate had his jacket robbed off his back in the jacks - two lads went either side and took it off him. To be fair, it was a pretty flamboyant jacket. He spent the next hour trying to convince his new headcase best friend out at the bar not to bother knifing them.

Haven't been in years at this stage, some funny times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Piper101 wrote: »
    Place called 'Noras' in Carrick-on-suir...holy christ! that place is dodgy. You can buy a can there drink half, they'll write your name on it with marker, put it in the fridge and hand it back to you next time you're in!! no smoking ban there either...NEVER AGAIN!!!

are you serious??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

anto9 wrote: »
    ""Mother black cap " its a well known Gay pub in Camden ,London .:D
    MMM,uncle Monty would like the Mother black cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

loalae wrote: »
    The Office in Bray.

A friend of mine was on crutches and v. v. drunk. He slipped backwards poured his drink on this guy who went mental and started kicking him on the ground. He was held back by one of his friends after a while. I got the bouncer.
    Then my friend was carried out by the female barstaff while the male bouncers supervised.
    I don't think the other guy had to leave at all.
    Really very strange.
    The bouncers there were a joke, that's not the first time I've heard of or seen them throwing out the victim of an assault and letting the scumbag who started it stay on.

Good riddance to that ****ehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

the players lounge....

no playin in there... i was too afraid!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Stopped into the only pub in this small town up north to get food, well when we came the whole place which was a dive stopped and stared at us apparently they did serve food on this day, we knew it was bs but wouldn't of wanted to stay there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Parts of Mississippi are exactly like something of a movie, time has stood still for the past 60 years or so. This joint we went into for beers was full your typical redneck gruff southern men. When I asked for a beer the reply from the barman was who are you?, I answered a student from Ireland and he just glared at me and served the drink. Needless to stay we didn't stay long.
    he asks who the stranger is and you leg it,maybe he was just making polite conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The bouncers there were a joke, that's not the first time I've heard of or seen them throwing out the victim of an assault and letting the scumbag who started it stay on.

Good riddance to that ****ehole.

+10!

A mate of mines lives in Bray and the office and Martello emplpyed some seriously dodgy bouncers! The Martello's bouncers in particular have been up in court over assault once or twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the 4 roads on sundrive road, south dublin is an absolute dive as well. the bookies next door was robbed 3 times in 2 weeks a while ago and 'missiles' regularly come through the windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

the 4 roads on sundrive road, south dublin is an absolute dive as well. the bookies next door was robbed 3 times in 2 weeks a while ago and 'missiles' regularly come through the windows

Sundrive road Kimmage? Which one is that? Not the one oppisite superquinn?

Advertisement