Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Widow Scallans in Pearse Street. Been years since i was there, but brought an English friend there once, locals didnt' look too impressed! Also a bar in Woolwich, forgotten the name of it, but proper nawty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Widow Scallans in Pearse Street. Been years since i was there, but brought an English friend there once, locals didnt' look too impressed! Also a bar in Woolwich, forgotten the name of it, but proper nawty.

its closed afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Was meant to be meeting friends in a pub in Rosmuc. Was down in Galway and wasn't quite sure where we were going. Ended up in this random old man's pub attached to a shop which was basically a massive open space consisting of a pool table, bar and a fireplace. It was freezing cold and smelt really bad. Made a speedy exit to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

an honourable mention to the barn house, dolphins barn, south dublin. i went in there on paddys day a few years ago and they were openly serving 13/14 year olds drink. most of the customers looked like they had just left st patricks institute/cloverhill

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

its closed afaik

Only a matter of time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Never felt the need to try it but I passed 'The Flemish Weaver' daily while living in Salford a few summers ago.

Heard a lot of scary stories about the place.

Snap of it today: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5123/flemishweaver.jpg

Snap of it from 1970: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61756486@N05/6318634247/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

The 'dodge arms' in dodgeville was pretty dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

An aptly named pub called boggers in Ardee
    The portaloos on the 3rd day of a major festival were cleaner than the toilets in this place. They also sold cans of beer and cider! I flet dirty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"The Countess", somewhere on the quays in Dublin. Feck, that was scary, circa late 80s early 90s. Probably long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The Trafford pub in Manchester last Stephens Day.

Didn't help I was drunk and shouting "scousers for life" and singing Liverpool chants with my equally loaded friend!

Somebody was shot in the head the night we left. We think it was mistaken identity :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Swallows Clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

old hippy wrote: »
    "The Countess", somewhere on the quays in Dublin. Feck, that was scary, circa late 80s early 90s. Probably long gone.

Near the corner of Townsend Street/Lombard Street and it is long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Boomerangs in Bray and the pub opposite Stoke City's old ground would be my nominations :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Long story but I ended up in some Turkish gangster bar on a holiday in Kusadasi. Very spooky. Anyone who knows the score with Turkish lads will know the type of bar it is, basically where they go to groom poor, innocent girls looking for a bit of attention. When they saw me and my mate show up with a few of the girls from our hotel, they did not like us at all, at all. Had my Dad not worked with the guy who ran it (in a legal, legitimate job, I'll add; though yer man reminded me of a Turkish Tony Soprano), I genuinely believe we either would've been run out of the place or left it in a body bag. Very intimidating. I wrote a blog on the experience with the full story, it's too long for boards and I'm tired now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

A mate of mine was playing a gig in the Waterfront on Sir John Rogerson quay in Dublin years ago.
    Before the gig we decided to drop into the Dockers next door for a pint.
    As we walked in the door there was a screaming match and a woman at the bar smashed a pint glass off the counter and stuck it in the barman's face, blood everywhere.
    Still and all we ordered off the other barman when the commotion died down and had a couple of lovely pints....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

old hippy wrote: »

Picture of it here:

http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3765&p=31052

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I think it was called Dick Devans or something like that, its in Limerick, i'm lucky to have survived that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I went to Edinburgh in 1994 with my friend(we were staying with her cousin who lived there).
    Two girls, early 20's what could possibly go wrong???

This was two years BEFORE "Trainspotting" had been released so we just thought we'd be staying in picturesque Edinburgh.

Eh no.

Her cousin lived in Leith(the docks area), where Irvine Welsh is from and where he got the idea for Trainspotting.

We went into a pub near the place we were staying and I kid you not there was a "spitoon" on the fukcing floor:eek:
    I was like the village of the damned in there!
    You should have seen the hack of the working girls in it, Jesus wept.

I've been in some rough shops in my time but that one took the prize:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It was in the bad part of Vegas. Think we were the first people in there that wasn't known to them since the late 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Illusions at the top of Capel Street. Not sure if it's still there. Went in one night with a few mates for a few beers. Fairly well dressed. Bouncer on the door eyed us up and down for a few minutes before finally letting us in. Wall to wall tracksuits, mini skirts and wide eyes. It was karaoke night and the place was filled.

Had one pint and went to the toilet. Decided to leave shortly after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We should do a pub crawl of the 10 worst ones that are in Dublin city for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

The Pook bar in Pattaya .Full of Trannyies .I got seduced by one ( she was a real stunner ) and ended up sucking her off .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I used to live and work in Vancouver, BC in Canada. Anyway sure one day after being on the tear downtown, realised I'd spent all my cash and wasn't paid until the next day. Couldn't take the Skytrain home, so said, **** it, I'll walk it. I had a rough idea that if I walked down Hastings street, I'd end up back in Burnaby.

Streets in North America and Australia run like a grid, so one street is just one street name the whole way, anyway Hastings in Burnaby is a lovely place, but E Hastings in the East end is a horrible, horrible kip of a place. Huge drug problems - openly selling and using drugs, hundreds, possibly thousands of homeless confined to this one area. People with nothing and no hope, very depressing.

Was on the way home and absolutely dying to use the jax, so I wandered into this dive bar. Everybody in there seemed like they were on Thorazine. Music on way too loud. TV blaring away. Some pimp roaring at a woman down the back. Went into the jax and the place was unreal, the smell....I can't describe it but it will always stay with me. How that place was still open I don't know. There were used needles in the sink's and somebody was crying in one of the cubicles. I almost ran out of the place .

That said, Vancouver's a lovely and beautiful city, but the East End is horrible, absolutely horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

brainnigans pub limerick,white star pub dublin(near the train station),and the gate pub(beside the gate hotel dublin)..

worst atmosphere drunks and crimnial scobes,skangers and aggressive alco hobos and druggie junkies everywhere.

you always felt intensly watched,and uneasy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

An Irish pub on the Seven Sisters Road in London with my friend in 2010. Haven't a clue why we were there, don't see the point of Irish pubs. This fella at the bar starting to chatting to us. Chatting, not chatting up, nothing untoward at all. So we were yapping away, and I then noticed the barmaid was eyeballing us. A few minutes later, she yelled at us to get out and stop trying to chat up her boyfriend. :eek: It was all very Eastenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sea Filly wrote: »
    An Irish pub on the Seven Sisters Road in London with my friend in 2010. Haven't a clue why we were there, don't see the point of Irish pubs. This fella at the bar starting to chatting to us. Chatting, not chatting up, nothing untoward at all. So we were yapping away, and I then noticed the barmaid was eyeballing us. A few minutes later, she yelled at us to get out and stop trying to chat up her boyfriend. :eek: It was all very Eastenders.

So it's the roughest pub you were ever in because the barmaid yelled at you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

anto9 wrote: »
    The Pook bar in Pattaya .Full of Trannyies .I got seduced by one ( she was a real stunner ) and ended up sucking her off .

If you sucked her off... You need to remove the er from her and replace them with an im.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Anyone remember the Auld Chinaman back in the day!?

Real spit on the floor pub.....Pool, cans from behind the bar, decent jukebox, smokin hash till your brain fell out and constant raids where everyone patiently lined up outside till the cops fcuked off and everyone trooped back in again!

Rough as nuts but a great pub all the same! I spent many a golden afternoon in there!

Defenitly a great bar but as intimating as hell the first couple of visits. Once you minded your manners and kept your head down you would be fine.. sort of.
    To be involved in a locked in on a Sunday afternoon was a rare pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Bambi wrote: »
    So it's the roughest pub you were ever in because the barmaid yelled at you? :confused:

Yes, that's been MY roughest bar experience, as per the OP. Problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

used to live about 500 metres from the cappagh house in finglas. Was only in it a handful of times(cas its a kip), but it certainly has had its moments..

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1230/dublin.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0202/finglas.html

Advertisement