Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

somehow ended up in China Whites in Soho during London Fashion Week in the VIP area with Kate Moss and others (was in a 'normal pub' til some Asian male/female hairdresser took a shine to me - was too drunk to figure out male/female at time - turns out he's some mega-trendy male hairdresser in London) All sorts of weird and off-putting, everyone in ridiculously expensive gear and doing ridiculously expensive gear!!!! Whilst i was strolling around in jeans and t-shirt...... got some amount of weird looks, though in retrospect they were thinking who's his new man :eek: :eek: :eek: Got out of there alive in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

somehow ended up in China Whites in Soho during London Fashion Week in the VIP area with Kate Moss and others (was in a 'normal pub' til some Asian male/female hairdresser took a shine to me - was too drunk to figure out male/female at time - turns out he's some mega-trendy male hairdresser in London) All sorts of weird and off-putting, everyone in ridiculously expensive gear and doing ridiculously expensive gear!!!! Whilst i was strolling around in jeans and t-shirt...... got some amount of weird looks, though in retrospect they were thinking who's his new man :eek: :eek: :eek: Got out of there alive in the end!

Was it yer man gok maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

old hippy wrote: »
    Pink Elephant was in town, Pink Panther was literally down the road from Bull & Bear. Above the Stillorgan House...

I don't remember it but isn't Stillorgan House what used to be Bolands and is called McGowan's now? Not much of an upstairs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

The Saracen's Head Inn or the Sary Heid in Glasgow made famous by Billy Connolly in his retelling of the Crucifiction. The sort of place where if you went in and didn't have a scar on your face they thought you were a tourist. The tables and chairs bolted to the floor and the ashtrays screwed to the tables. Lovely place. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

plys wrote: »
    Rough indeed. Auld wans of about 80 y.o. drinking pint bottles of Guinness off the shelf, with Paddy to chase... More Full Sovereigns than I've ever seen before or since. Strangely it was mostly female punters... ?

Men folk in prison, I'd hazard a wild guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fitzYOLO

The Danny Boy.

Words cannot describe that place. I can only assume the people that use it as their local were sat down in a room Clockwork Orange style as children and played clips of Jackass, Dirty Sanchez and Wildboyz everyday until they reached the age of 21.

It's a pretty small place with a bar a few tables and a pool table. When we entered we noticed everyone in the joint was crowding around the pool table. After we get our drinks we go over to see what the fuss was about. Well at every pocket of the pool table was a man with his balls shoved right into it. There was a large guy with the cue shooting the white ball at random. Meanwhile these pocket lads were jerking it as fast as humanely possible.

Needless to say we belted out of there and headed home for a few hard drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

A pub in krakow...well we thought it was a pub but it was a whore house.Kinda copped on when we seen the bouncers inside a gate with bomber jackets on and guns slinged around them......GREAT NIGHT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I don't remember it but isn't Stillorgan House what used to be Bolands and is called McGowan's now? Not much of an upstairs there.

Is it? I haven't been there for an awful long time; it was at the top of the hill, right beside the Plaza...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Long gone now but,Busby's or the Rivermount House in Finglas South

Not a window to be seen,lads coming in every few minutes with black sacks and emptying them on the floor,full of stolen gear,anything from boots to pork chops.

You could do your all your shopping there while you were getting your round in....

Many of the kids in Finglas were told Santa left their presents there to be collected by their parents on Christmas Eve..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is it? I haven't been there for an awful long time; it was at the top of the hill, right beside the Plaza...

Just on the corner? Yeah that's the one so.

Also there was a nightclub above Lamb Doyles's pub called Misty's.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Just on the corner? Yeah that's the one so.

Also there was a nightclub above Lamb Doyles's pub called Misty's.

OMG, there's a name from the past :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I remember the Rivermount, it was some kipp. I heard a story about two lads fighting with swords in front of the pub. Another time somebody walked in, unplugged the TV and walked out the door with it on his shoulder. Absolute mad shop.

Dunno if a nightclub counts but I recall Clouseaus (late 80s). Out in Wicklow (IIRC) had as many bad nights as good. Fights, crazy people and a particularly nasty incident where my friend got glassed. Not all in the one night, mind....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Deep in enemy territory, Belfast :pac:

Israeli flag behind the bar and all at the time, epic. Literally looked like they'd decorated the pub by going 'What are the other crowd interested in at the minute? Alright. Whats the exact opposite of that? Brilliant we'll have two of them!'

Didn't have a pint anyway.

Sounds like My Lady's Inn.

How to die in 5 easy steps _

1. Walk into the My Lady's Inn wearing a Glasgow Celtic jersey.
    2. Ask the barman to check the hurling and gaelic football results on ceefax.
    3. Propose a toast to the Queen (in the Irish language)
    4. Then announce that you would acually like to toast the Queen, (literally).
    5. Count to 10 and run.

If you make it as far as the door alive, the pub must be empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The Saracen's Head Inn or the Sary Heid in Glasgow made famous by Billy Connolly in his retelling of the Crucifiction. The sort of place where if you went in and didn't have a scar on your face they thought you were a tourist. The tables and chairs bolted to the floor and the ashtrays screwed to the tables. Lovely place. :D

What ahd you in there anyway? Heading to the game?;)

What ahd you in there anyway? Heading to the game?;)

Nah was young at the time and a crowd of decided to go for a visit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dr.Zeus

The Honest Irishman, Camperdown, NSW...........maybe gone now but....an unique experience of antipodean Paddy at his finest!!

Or next was Peter Michael Kelehans in Galway, opposite the Regional Hospital..........allegedly "ladies of the night" frequented it (??). There was I thinking ladies stayed home at night!:)

Nah was young at the time and a crowd of decided to go for a visit :D

Ah the bravery and foolishness of youth. Ive never been to any similar establishments on 'the other side'. Whats the equivalent?

Dr.Zeus wrote: »
    Or next was Peter Michael Kelehans in Galway, opposite the Regional Hospital..........allegedly "ladies of the night" frequented it (??). There was I thinking ladies stayed home at night!:)

They did?? I never noticed wheni used frequent the place back in the day. it's well gone now

Roddy's Bar, Ealing. First time I went there, full of second gen Irish singing RA songs... other times the same people banging on about "coloureds" and "p***s" :(:(

That said, the bloke who runs it is as sound as a pound and not all the punters are eejits but you have to be in a certain frame of mind to brave it.

• Advertisement

Ah the bravery and foolishness of youth. Ive never been to any similar establishments on 'the other side'. Whats the equivalent?

Ach theres a few of the old ones The Mermaid at Bridgeton cross now there was a pub we played in Manchester years and years ago and I went with a mate on there bus an old style double decker but the bus didn't have any windows :eek:

The glaswegian used to be another full of nutters of course I have also been in a few not so nice ones on your side to ie the Brazen Head, Bairds etc
    But most of the pubs I go to when I am over are mixed pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Roddy's Bar, Ealing. First time I went there, full of second gen Irish singing RA songs... other times the same people banging on about "coloureds" and "p***s" :(:(

That said, the bloke who runs it is as sound as a pound and not all the punters are eejits but you have to be in a certain frame of mind to brave it.

Was that near the Halfway House on Ealing Broadway?

Ach theres a few of the old ones The Mermaid at Bridgeton cross now there was a pub we played in Manchester years and years ago and I went with a mate on there bus an old style double decker but the bus didn't have any windows :eek:

The glaswegian used to be another full of nutters of course I have also been in a few not so nice ones on your side to ie the Brazen Head, Bairds etc
    But most of the pubs I go to when I am over are mixed pubs

Dont mind the brazen or bairds before a game but going there afterwards or any other day, no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Creatons in Ballaghaderreen Co. Mayo/Roscommon/ No mans land. Absolute dump.

Was that near the Halfway House on Ealing Broadway?

It's closer to Brentford. Where was the Halfway House in regards to EB station?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Dr.Zeus wrote: »
    The Honest Irishman, Camperdown, NSW...........maybe gone now but....an unique experience of antipodean Paddy at his finest!!

Lol I worked there,a totaly mad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

The Players Lounge Dublin

Haggies bar Glasgow

Heffernans in DonohiLl in Tipperary dirtiest pub ever!!

The Players Lounge Dublin

Haggies bar Glasgow

Heffernans in DonohiLl in Tipperary dirtiest pub ever!!

I cross the street when I pass that place ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

The Tropicana in Bermondsey - the unofficial Millwall FC supporters club. No windows, they boarded them up after a local fan got set alight and chucked in through one. Owner kept asking us if we could see the ghosts.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I was in Praia De Luz last summer and had a drink in the pub/ restaurant where Madeline McCann's parents were when she was taken. Didn't realize it was the same bar till I got back to Ireland. Shame though, they're probably losing a ton of revenue from lack of tourists and stuff, and it's a really nice little hut right by the pool too, the only thing kidnapped that night was my sobriety.

Advertisement