Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Frenchies in Puerto Rico

A strip club/ brothel

Horrible place.

Brazzers and strippers.

Some of the girls definitely underage

Po-leeece at the top of the street

Man with a machine gun at the door

I mean a fvcking machine gun!

I did mange to get some weed

I went to have a smoke it the jacks but i was told to put it out

HOUSE RULES

Strippers = OK

underage brazzers = ok

Class A drugs = OK

The man at the door with the fvcking machine gun = ok

Wee puff of a joint

"We'll have none of that carry on in here lad !"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Dunno if mention but in college in Waterford once went into this pub called "The Yellow House Bar"
    f**k me was dodgy- on the Cork Rd, near to Templars and Ballybeg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rusty_Mectum

Probably fagans, Especially with Bertie sitting at the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Summer job in a pub in Westbourne park London in '92 had a gun pointed at me by local dealer, well dodgy.. same summer was in the roughest pub in London the crown in Kilburn.. mental place.. eye's going everywhere when I was there..at the end of that night was arrested and thown in jail for the night! ah what a laugh.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

rabbies in aberdeen was odd, very odd indeed not sure particularly rough but very surreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

actually there was a pub in Jersey (Channel Islands)my uncle brought me to in the 1995 that was the local Rangers FC supporters place - think it was called the Tower??
    feckin' hell all I remember was a bunch of blokes dressed in Gazza football Jerseys with bleached blond hair singing some dodgy songs - kept me mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

BDubliner wrote: »
    Widow Scanlons on Pearse street. Remember having a pint there years back and it was the kind of kip where if you didnt have an Eire tattoo or a I love ma tattoo you'd be considered a freak. Real IRA sympathisers pub, few shootings there as well if my memory serves me correct. Think its been knocked now.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Loyalists killed a door man there in the 90s IIRC.
    Morlar wrote: »
    The UVF (martin cahill's buddies) tried to blow it up one night. From what I remember the doorman was shot dead while stopping them from getting inside.

lol...I use to work there, was not as bad as what people make it out to be TBH. More of a local shop. one time a few lads came in off jack ass, thay asked the taxi man to bring them to the roughest pub in dublin city, so he brought them there. I think they were a bit disappointed.:pac:

There was one pub near by i think it was called barnstormers? on townsend street. That was a creazy shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Yawlboy wrote: »
    actually there was a pub in Jersey (Channel Islands)my uncle brought me to in the 1995 that was the local Rangers FC supporters place - think it was called the Tower??
    feckin' hell all I remember was a bunch of blokes dressed in Gazza football Jerseys with bleached blond hair singing some dodgy songs - kept me mouth shut.
    I was there! Walked in with the parents and younger brother while looking for food. Bar was filled with some extremely large Rangers fans screaming at match the tv, stuff like "****ing Fenian bastards" etc. Got the **** outta there ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

There was/is a pub in the Quay area of Dundalk. Don't think it had opening hours just was open always. Very dirty/dodgey place. Once I was about 11/12 bucket collecting for a local soccer team, we had to be escourted out from all the abuse we where getting about it been an English sport. Was also full of Eastern European looking sailors that would stay for a while while their boats docked in the port. Think it was called Danny Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I was there! Walked in with the parents and younger brother while looking for food. Bar was filled with some extremely large Rangers fans screaming at match the tv, stuff like "****ing Fenian bastards" etc. Got the **** outta there ASAP!

Why unless you started bother they wouldn't have bothered you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Why unless you started bother they wouldn't have bothered you ;)

I remember a few years ago we were in a bar in Krakow & the Celtic fans there were being loud and obnoxious, slapping women on the bum and all that palava. My friend walked in (she takes no crap) and inevitably she got slapped. Boy, it was awesome, she tore strips out of them & within a few mins they were coming over trying to buy us drinks and her flowers! :D

Of course, she told them politely where to go but it was an annoying but enjoyable encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Finches in Neilstown, Clondalkin. There's a vaild reason the place has no windows.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

xzanti wrote: »
    The Peacock on Cathal Brugha Street, it's gone now afaik.. That was some dive. :eek:

Was that the one at summerhill flats? No windows just a front door classy joint

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

the Black Horse Pub,ilford high road,essex /east london....... 20 years ago.......100% guaranteed stabbing/glassing/riot.blacks versus whites, limerick,dublin a playground compared...mill wall just up the road..stratford, the old krays territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Dont know if it was the roughest but the scariest pub I was ever in was the Italian American club in west orange new jersey. It was honestly like stepping into an episode of the sopranos with men in velour leisure suits and wannabe hangers on and some shady looking characters in suits behind a beaded curtain! Had one drink at the bar and wanted to leave but the barman said we had to have another one. Wanted to leave but the barman said someone had bought us one and had to stay again. Was seriously sweating at this stage and drank as quick as I could and then the barman bought us one but at least he said we could bring it with us. Then the bouncers wouldnt let us go and had to skull the beer to get out. When we finally got out there were two cop cars on each end of the block watching the place. Just was glad to get out alive. Absolutely true story and can feel the fear again just recounting it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

old hippy wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago we were in a bar in Krakow & the Celtic fans there were being loud and obnoxious, slapping women on the bum and all that palava. My friend walked in (she takes no crap) and inevitably she got slapped. Boy, it was awesome, she tore strips out of them & within a few mins they were coming over trying to buy us drinks and her flowers! :D

Of course, she told them politely where to go but it was an annoying but enjoyable encounter.

They deserved a slap for that and if it had been Rangers fans then they would have deserved the same,but 99% of the time if you are in a pub and fans are being loud as long as you don't start singing the opposing fans songs etc they won't bother you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Summer job in a pub in Westbourne park London in '92 had a gun pointed at me by local dealer, well dodgy.. same summer was in the roughest pub in London the crown in Kilburn.. mental place.. eye's going everywhere when I was there..at the end of that night was arrested and thown in jail for the night! ah what a laugh.. :D

Do you mean this place up the road in Cricklewood ?

It used to be a right kip all right, back in the day when Pig O'Donnell had the place. The big room in the back was like a hayshed. Guaranteed to see a good punch up there at weekends.

The pub since been tarted up and is now poshified. You'd probably get barred for swearing there now.
    The good old days are gone.

As it happens one of the dodgiest shítholes I ever had the misfortune to set food in is this place just around the corner from The Crown.

Its knacker central, and the locals seem to confuse that bus stop out the front with the toilets. (Mind you the bus stop is cleaner).
    Definitely not the kind of place you leave your phone on the bar.
    The place and the people in it stink. Wipe your feet on the way out.

This review is actually quite favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Q bar in dublin city center...

oh wait you dont mean the doggyist ( most dogs per square meter ) pub in the world.

my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

For me it would be this place about 10 years ago. Went in there with a coloured friend after watching a soccer match at Ellis Park (an experience in itself). He had lived in the area as a kid so we were safe, apparently.

It turned into one of the weirdest nights of my life as I turned into the evenings entertainment as probably the only white face to go drinking there ever.

If you wanted a drink you had a choice of 3 types of beer in 1.25l glass bottles. The 'bar' was guy in a cage with a big fridge in the corner. You paid a deposit on top of the price of the beer that you got back when you gave them the bottle back to ensure you didn't smash it over someones head.

And at the end of the night I got a friend to pick me up and on the way to the car we got surrounded by the local tarts and offered a blow job for R25 I think it was (about €3). We declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

Was in Dublin some years ago and after a night out we were going back to the hotel where we noticed a bar which seemed to be still open. The bouncers said the downstairs bar was shut but we could go upstairs.

Now I'll be honest, the locals looked a wee bit rough but we decided to stay....
    it then slowly dawned on us we were at a wedding reception:D

They then decided to fill us with free drink and we had a grand night altogether.

When we staggered back to the hotel the night-porter's jaw dropped when we told him where we'd been. He said he had worked in Dublin for 30 years and would not go near that place!

And that bar was......

The Parnell Mooney,
    which has received numerous mentions in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Rascasse wrote: »
    For me it would be this place about 10 years ago. Went in there with a coloured friend after watching a soccer match at Ellis Park (an experience in itself). He had lived in the area as a kid so we were safe, apparently.

It turned into one of the weirdest nights of my life as I turned into the evenings entertainment as probably the only white face to go drinking there ever.

If you wanted a drink you had a choice of 3 types of beer in 1.25l glass bottles. The 'bar' was guy in a cage with a big fridge in the corner. You paid a deposit on top of the price of the beer that you got back when you gave them the bottle back to ensure you didn't smash it over someones head.

And at the end of the night I got a friend to pick me up and on the way to the car we got surrounded by the local tarts and offered a blow job for R25 I think it was (about €3). We declined.

Actually, we tend to use the word "black" or "mixed race" etc but yeah, sounds scary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

a few years back I was caught up in bad weather in the UK and as my flight was cancelled we had to make our way home through Hollyhead.

the pub I was in was ok until locals from what I can only assume were the mountains came in for karaoke night. It was like a cross between a scene from little Britain and the inbred boys from deliverance sing the blues

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Ex-girlfriend was a big Chelsea fan. She brought me to a match and 'for the laugh' she brought me to a bar where the Headhunters drinks. Might've been SoBar. Kept my mouth shut alright... Reason why she's my ex!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

any of the soi's on bangla road in patong beach in phuket, thailand.

Only spent a day there and that was ebough....men in their 60s and 70s walking around with tiny women, many of whom were little more than kids, Hookers running around with hammers trying to get people to play against them for money, plenty of class a floating around, all sorts of carry on happening just off the street.

There was a fire there recently in one of the bars...a crowd of oul fellas died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

JJJJNR wrote: »

I was a local there about two years earlier, it was mayhem as I remember.

The dodgiest pub I was in was actually my local for a few years (there is a reason why I don't drink anymore ;);)) The place was under permanent police surveillance, they were camped in the upstairs of a building opposite. All the stools and tables were cast iron as so many of them had gone through the front windows. You had to drag the stools, no way could they be lifted :eek: I'd say the shape of the tables is permanently imprinted on the floor.
    The first night I was there, there was a women in her sixties with peroxide blonde hair getting spanked over a bar stool. Very fcuking odd.
    They had some lagers on tap - that they weren't allowed to sell more that three pints to any one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

justshane wrote: »
    There was/is a pub in the Quay area of Dundalk. Don't think it had opening hours just was open always. Very dirty/dodgey place. Once I was about 11/12 bucket collecting for a local soccer team, we had to be escourted out from all the abuse we where getting about it been an English sport. Was also full of Eastern European looking sailors that would stay for a while while their boats docked in the port. Think it was called Danny Boys.

That would be the spirit store?
    Was in it once when they had live music on and it was grand, but it used to be/still is a dive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

old hippy wrote: »
    Actually, we tend to use the word "black" or "mixed race" etc but yeah, sounds scary :D

Apologies, yes - 'coloured' may have connotations here but in South Africa it is a valid term for a specific racial group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

weemcd wrote: »
    Was in it once when they had live music on and it was grand, but it used to be/still is a dive

No not the spirit store. It wasn't on the docks, about a 2 minute walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

weemcd wrote: »

The Spirit Store is is probably one of the best venues in the country for live music, particularly for original artists. I believe Snow Patrol were signed after a live gig there.

The crowd and the atmosphere are always dead on. A bunch of music lovers out for a good time. Its not exactly the ritz carlton, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its a dive. I think it has character.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

benway wrote: »
    In Dublin, easily the Chancery. Crowd is 75% brazzers, gangsters, trannies, corpo workers and junkies, 25% endurance revelers.

It's generally grand though, and definitely the best pint of Guinness you'll get at 7 in the morning anywhere in town.

But, there was the morning a car battery got fúcked in through the window.

And the time my mate had his jacket robbed off his back in the jacks - two lads went either side and took it off him. To be fair, it was a pretty flamboyant jacket. He spent the next hour trying to convince his new headcase best friend out at the bar not to bother knifing them.

Haven't been in years at this stage, some funny times.

I agree. Mad aul kip. Everyone in there is awake for particular reasons! When you wake up at 11pm later that day is when you start to regret it

Advertisement