Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

nadey wrote: »
    mine would defo be the playhouse in ballymun

You have worryingly sad issues about The Penthouse
    humberklog wrote: »
    So someone says "let's go to the Penthouse" and you go to a pub with large signage over it clearly saying Penthouse. You don't like said pub and decide to make a thread with a reference to it but call it Playhouse?

A pub full of (what you call) scumbags might be the least of your worries.

Well said. As I said in a another thread which has since been closed , I personally never had a problem in The Penthouse and had many great nights there , I don't see why he felt the need to open this thread just to slag it off again. The pub closed last year , get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The Otley in Treforest in Wales.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Rat and parrot in Liverpool, not so much a kip but sine unsavoury characters there.

Harbour bar in clogherhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Probably this place. Not terribly rough but just an all-round shoite pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Swan in Bolton town centre.
    Far-right national front frequented pub.
    Once visited, never went back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Blakes tavern - long since closed.
    Hartstown House complete **** hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

The Workman's Club on the Quays, not a kip as in full of skangers, just plain rotten. toilets are left to be desired:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mine would defo be the playhouse in ballymun
    didnt wanna remember cos it was full of scumbags

i would say u have never been there and are just assuming becuase you heard someone talking crap and/or because its in ballymun

on topic there is a pub in sligo called kilgallon's (i think) it was an awful filthy dump. not knocking sligo in any way because its a hidden gem and one of the best pubs i have ever been in is there (hargodans on o connell street)

humberklog wrote: »
    So someone says "let's go to the Penthouse" and you go to a pub with large signage over it clearly saying Penthouse. You don't like said pub and decide to make a thread with a reference to it but call it Playhouse?

A pub full of (what you call) scumbags might be the least of your worries.

Keeping OT- Brady's in Kells Co. Meath. Beating The Royal on Stephen's St. just because The Royal has a regular that fed his brother to the pigs on his farm in the 70's, he's a really interesting guy.

sure your just opposite. its an interesting pub the royale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Bottom of the hill, Liz delaney's, Cardiffbridge inn, Oh and some sh1thole in toxtext called the stone and mallet I think.....a collection of real kips. The one in Liverpool had no bog, pitbulls under the tables, bring your own cans, and a lovely log fire made from pallets.

we had a dodgy pub thread but this is about kips. ive been in pubs in what some would describe as decent areas but are kips. the dundrum house is one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

The furry bog in whitechurch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

not yet wrote: »
    Bottom of the hill, Liz delaney's, Cardiffbridge inn, Oh and some sh1thole in toxtext called the stone and mallet I think.....a collection of real kips. The one in Liverpool had no bog, pitbulls under the tables, bring your own cans, and a lovely log fire made from pallets.

Another one not to get the name of the pub right:rolleyes:

If you think the Cardiff is a kip, you haven't seen many pubs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sure your just opposite. its an interesting pub the royale

It is interesting and pints are 3quid. The shop is clean, well run, has a fish tank, does food. A lot of the clientele are throw-backs to rum side of The Chinaman (which used to be across the road from it).

Biggest kip in my mind in Dublin city is The Chancery on the quays. I kept my art studio above it for a few years and got to know it well enough. My word, what an utter kip.

I've had some cracking nights in the Penthouse. Never seen any trouble and always ended up mixing in with the regulars.

Smidge wrote: »
    Another one not to get the name of the pub right:rolleyes:

If you think the Cardiff is a kip, you haven't seen many pubs.

Ha Ha, well ain't you the clever one, I've probably worked in more pubs then you've drank in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

alie wrote: »
    The furry bog in whitechurch

1st place that came to mind when read the thread title!

Ha Ha, well ain't you the clever one, I've probably worked in more pubs then you've drank in.

Not trying to be clever.
    Just because a pub is in a certain area of Dublin(or anywhere else) does not make it a kip.
    As another poster said there are worse kips in better areas.

Are you claiming you worked in the Cardiff?

Not trying to be clever.
    Just because a pub is in a certain area of Dublin(or anywhere else) does not make it a kip.
    As another poster said there are worse kips in better areas.

Are you claiming you worked in the Cardiff?

In my opinion it is, along with the others I've mentioned. I didn't work in the cardiff but drank in it enough times to say it's a ''kip''. I have however worked in some of the other pubs I mentioned thou it was a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

babaracus wrote: »
    The Saracen's Head in the Gallowgate in Glasgow.

An unusual mix of ridiculously underage drinkers, middle aged gents with "Glasgow smiles" aka face slashings, guys trying to sell you whatever they had robbed from the Forge shopping centre, ladies of the evening, winos, a barmaid who looked like Andre the Giant and us.

Not for the faint hearted and makes any Ballymun boozer look like the Ritz.

Pint was reasonable.

Really? I thought it was a grand aul spot for after the Celtic games; always had a great night there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Bunmahon, Co Waterford, friends brought me into this kip, a few ould lads drinking pint bottles and jemmies. Stinking rotten hole, Christmas decorations still up in September, fireplace full of cigarette buts, hasn't seen paint or a sweeping brush in 20 years.

Greatest hole I've ever been in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I got stuck in Holyhead after missing the ferry back to Dun Laoghaire one time. It was on a Sunday, and anyone who's ever experienced Holyhead on a wintry Sunday will know it's the bleakest town in history.

Anyway, needed to take a p*ss so went into a pub in the centre of town. The regulars in there were some of the most gnarled, inbread nutjobs. I could feel every skinhead's stare as I walked in and out again afterwards. All I can say is thank God nobody bothered me, but there was no way I was stopping for a pint!

Was so glad to be on the next ferry :D

In my opinion it is, along with the others I've mentioned. I didn't work in the cardiff but drank in it enough times to say it's a ''kip''. I have however worked in some of the other pubs I mentioned thou it was a long time ago.

Surely if it was that big of a kip you wouldn't have drank in it "Enough Times"?

But fair enough.

I've always enjoyed a night in it and the people are grand(and great characters)!

Having drank in a "fair:o" few pubs myself I have to say I have found a night in a place like the Cardiff fair more entertaining the some of the higher end establishments around.

coonecb1 wrote: »
    I got stuck in Holyhead after missing the ferry back to Dun Laoghaire one time. It was on a Sunday, and anyone who's ever experienced Holyhead on a wintry Sunday will know it's the bleakest town in history.

Anyway, needed to take a p*ss so went into a pub in the centre of town. The regulars in there were some of the most gnarled, inbread nutjobs. I could feel every skinhead's stare as I walked in and out again afterwards. All I can say is thank God nobody bothered me, but there was no way I was stopping for a pint!

Was so glad to be on the next ferry :D

Only in it 3 weeks ago if it's the one on the corner. nasty nasty place.

Surely if it was that big of a kip you wouldn't have drank in it "Enough Times"?

But fair enough.

I've always enjoyed a night in it and the people are grand(and great characters)!

Having drank in a "fair:o" few pubs myself I have to say I have found a night in a place like the Cardiff fair more entertaining the some of the higher end establishments around.

I'm not arguing that you would have a good night in a lower end pub etc, The reason I drank in it was some barmen working in finglas would go there on their break. It's prob your local and I don't mean to get a dig at it it was just on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

The Towers in Ballymun, "Dump" or "Decent Place"? Let the people decide.

The Towers has definitely been improved but its still not great , it's a bit cleaner but that's cos the bank took it over and placed a manager in there and cleaned it up a bit a to try and re coup some of the outstanding debts on the place. I don't think it would be doing the business it is if The Penthouse hadn't been sold as part of Ballymun Regeneration. It's not as smelly as it used to be but I wouldn't drink draught in it , more than once a group of us drinking draught there needed to leave sharpish. If we on the odd occasion meet up there before heading somewhere else we learnt our lessons and buy bottles.
    BlackBlade wrote: »
    You obviously havnt been there in a while and dont know much about it!
    they decorated the place about 2 years ago!
    everything except the toilets in fairness!

its known for one of the best pints of guinness in dublin and still holds the record for most pints of the black stuff sold!

honestly its not half as bad as people think!
    I would rather drink in a few other pubs but for a quick pint and a chat its not bad at all!

Have to disagree , reason given above

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

This post has been deleted.
    great spot for new years eve then !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

the central in drogheda, on a pub crawl at christmas and the pint was gone in 5 minutes n out the door! hope the barman has life assurance! go past during the day n the heads outside smoking are priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Once went in to have a drink in the Crossroads in Shannon, while passing through Shannon. Jesus, talk about a hostile atmosphere. Since then I've heard locals describe it as being extremely anti non regulars. I felt like I'd stepped into something out of a horror film. All the heads just turn and glare at you, and they stare, just to let you know that 'this is a local place for local people'. Real league of gentlemen stuff. Never ever again.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Olympic Arms (aka The Galvone) and Norbert@s in Limerick. Two rather grotty dives indeed. The Olympic is now closed and Norbert's has changed it's name to Stepper Flanagan's.

Another mention goes to De Bruins bar in Balbriggan Co.Dublin. One drunkard in the place asked my friend were we two undercover gards. When my friend told him where to go he came back a few minutes later and kept pacing up and down behind us while we were sitting at the bar. We quickly finished our drinks and never darkened the door of the place again.

There used to be decent little pub in Edward Street Limerick called Alby Carroll's. It later changed owner and became the Ryan O'Neill. When the owner died someone else took over the pub and renamed it The Corner Bar. He started letting in all the local heads from Weston and Prospect into the pub and it went rapidly downhill after that. Unsurprisingly it's now closed.

Advertisement