Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

The Telstar in the Creggan Estate in Derry.

Great spot. We arrived there at about 4am, tapped on the shutters and entered through the back entrance where we had to climb over kegs to get into the bar. The place was hopping until about 8am when they decided to close. They were re-opening at 11. Some very intersting characters were there. We were reassured by a member of staff that if there was ever a problem they don't call 999. This was back in 2004. The place has undergone a bit of a facelift since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Nodster wrote: »
    nothing wrong with Barnstormers, sure didn't I meet the wifey there!

Had nothing but good times there myself, esp. early mornings but did see a few people getting awful beatings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nodster wrote: »
    nothing wrong with Barnstormers, sure didn't I meet the wifey there!

Yup Barnstormers was great, you know were the find the crowd now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Another mention goes to De Bruins bar in Balbriggan Co.Dublin. One drunkard in the place asked my friend were we two undercover gards. When my friend told him where to go he came back a few minutes later and kept pacing up and down behind us while we were sitting at the bar. We quickly finished our drinks and never darkened the door of the place again.
    De Bruins? It's not even the worst bar in Balbriggan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Noctors would have to be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The Henry Joy in Ardoyne, Belfast, also known as the suicide inn as, story goes, if you sat by the window the chances of getting a bullet in the head were quite high due to the amount of drive by's from the loyalists.

The Olympic arms in Southill as one poster above mentioned was dodgy if you weren't from around.

Another was the steering wheel down from the Olympic Arms, walked in there one day and as was heading for the bar a pint glass flew across the room and hit someone, the place erupted.

The Tower inn on Mulgrave Street Limerick, became later known as the Moose was rough enough on and off over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Another really dodgy pub in Limerick was the Dew Drop Inn which was on the Roxboro road across from the entrance to the Jail Boreen. From what I hear some gurrier glassed his girlfriend in there and the placed closed shortly afterwards. It's closed about twenty years now, the building has now been converted into a house.

on topic of limerick bars, wasnt quite dodgy as the crowd was young, but the henry cecil was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

This post has been deleted.

Cop on absolutely nothing wrong with ahearns.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Aodh Rua wrote: »
    All pubs which have dirty/unhygienic toilets/bathrooms, which in 2012 would constitute a good 60% of Irish pubs. Yes, in upper middle class urban areas such toilets are far fewer but in working class and rural areas they are dominant.

It's consistently astonishing that pubs with such toilets have not been closed down.

As somebody advised me recently: "Look at a pub's toilet, and you have an idea of the quality of food they're serving"
    If they're serving food they're a bar / lounge and not really a pub of the sort being discussed here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

some mad kip in the middle of Bangkok, strip club up on the top floor, only farang there, numerous blokes coming over sussing me out as in was i a rich tourist!! no smelly backpacker me. God damn tuk tuk drivers - i said nightclub!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

"The Blacker" in Northside Sc. They have changed the name loads of times but its still called the Blacker by the locals. You would want to see the "talent" in there on a weekend.Rough as a bears arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

repsol wrote: »
    "The Blacker" in Northside Sc. They have changed the name loads of times but its still called the Blacker by the locals. You would want to see the "talent" in there on a weekend.Rough as a bears arse!

there are far rougher pubs then the oak

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

there are far rougher pubs then the oak

True. Nocters near Sherrif St makes it look like the Shelbourne Bar:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Some pub near St. James Gate. I forget the name of it.

But there was some bloke with what looked like a plastic bag full of cash, and the urinals had cameras pointing down on them.

The place just stank of piss. Was a nice pint though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Couldn't find this bar with a compass now, but went over to see a Man Utd game around 1993. Stayed in a budget hotel between the city centre and Salford. Anyway, for myself and the Dad, it was our first time in Manchester and it was some hole back then.

walked past derelict buildings for around ten mins on way, and saw an old pub standing on its own in middle of nowhere. Stupidly, wandered into what the pub in Shameless must have been modelled on. Locals were all over us in a second, and basically let us know that we had 5 mins to Finish our pints and get our Irish asses out of there. Lesson learned and we looked behind us for the rest of our brisk walk to Old Trafford

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Olympic Arms (aka The Galvone) and Norbert@s in Limerick. Two rather grotty dives indeed. The Olympic is now closed and Norbert's has changed it's name to Stepper Flanagan's.

Another mention goes to De Bruins bar in Balbriggan Co.Dublin. One drunkard in the place asked my friend were we two undercover gards. When my friend told him where to go he came back a few minutes later and kept pacing up and down behind us while we were sitting at the bar. We quickly finished our drinks and never darkened the door of the place again.

There used to be decent little pub in Edward Street Limerick called Alby Carroll's. It later changed owner and became the Ryan O'Neill. When the owner died someone else took over the pub and renamed it The Corner Bar. He started letting in all the local heads from Weston and Prospect into the pub and it went rapidly downhill after that. Unsurprisingly it's now closed.

The Corner Flag?

padma wrote: »
    The Henry Joy in Ardoyne, Belfast, also known as the suicide inn as, story goes, if you sat by the window the chances of getting a bullet in the head were quite high due to the amount of drive by's from the loyalists.

The Olympic arms in Southill as one poster above mentioned was dodgy if you weren't from around.

Another was the steering wheel down from the Olympic Arms, walked in there one day and as was heading for the bar a pint glass flew across the room and hit someone, the place erupted.

The Tower inn on Mulgrave Street Limerick, became later known as the Moose was rough enough on and off over the years.

Free shots in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

coonecb1 wrote: »
    I got stuck in Holyhead after missing the ferry back to Dun Laoghaire one time. It was on a Sunday, and anyone who's ever experienced Holyhead on a wintry Sunday will know it's the bleakest town in history.

Anyway, needed to take a p*ss so went into a pub in the centre of town. The regulars in there were some of the most gnarled, inbread nutjobs. I could feel every skinhead's stare as I walked in and out again afterwards. All I can say is thank God nobody bothered me, but there was no way I was stopping for a pint!

Was so glad to be on the next ferry :D
    it wasnt the edinborough house by anychance?that was a kip

• Advertisement

on topic of limerick bars, wasnt quite dodgy as the crowd was young, but the henry cecil was interesting.

Girl got shot dead by mistake there.

georgina o donnell was her name, was in their earlier that night, btw the corner flag is at the corner of henry st and alphonsus or curry st

Yeah I drank many a times in Henry Cecil. There used to be a good size crowd even at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon.

The guy that shot Georgina was one of three lads that attacked me when I walked home through Hyde Road just two weeks earlier.

m cronin

Believe it or not. He was the quietest of the three lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Was in Burnley visiting relatives a couple of years back. Quite literally the biggest ****hole I've ever been in, I was depressed the minute I entered the city. I was only there for 2 days & seeing as I hadn't seen these relatives since I was about 8 I suggested we go for a few drinks. Myself & my cousin & his 2 best friends headed into town & ended up in this absolute kip. Turns out it was the main pub for the Burnley football hooligans. I've never seen so many dickheads in one place, every few minutes bursting into song about hating Preston North End. Grown men in tracksuit ends & peaked caps & runners. I was in no danger because I was with 3 locals but my god was it a kip. I thought I recognised 1 or 2 of the lads from the pub when I watched the Danny Dyer documentary but I can't be sure.

But seriously, Burnley is the worst place I've ever been in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The Village Inn Clondalkin.

Probably one of the most modern looking pubs in Dublin, yet there is murder there nearly every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The Tower Inn and the Moose are different places. The tower inn is a few doors up from the moose on the way toward limerick brakes.

It close a good few years ago and was turned into a furniture shop. I think it's closed now. The moose is still around as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Dail Bar. You want to see the shower of crooks, cheats and gangsters in there.

• Advertisement

The Tower Inn and the Moose are different places. The tower inn is a few doors up from the moose on the way toward limerick brakes.

It close a good few years ago and was turned into a furniture shop. I think it's closed now. The moose is still around as far as I know.

I always thought it was must be going senile

Advertisement