Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

YFlyer wrote: »
    The Corner Flag?

No it was definitely The Corner Bar. The Corner Flag I think is in Henry Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    I was in Perth in Scotland one time and was about to open a pub door, when it flew open and a man came out horizontally, launched like a torpedo by the barman. He used his nose and chin as a brake to stop himself in the gutter. When he tried to reenter, the barman ran him with his boot. We drank there and it was fine, though.
    ****holes: 111 Barrack Street, Cork. Also known as "The Three Wans". Absolute dive and featured bullet holes from the shooting of a doorman, as well as the usual failure to observe the smoking ban and it was populated by the Cork branch of "Crimecall".
    In Mayfield in Cork, the "Fob and Gill", also known as the "Rob and kill", again usual cast of lowlifes, dole trash, crims, junkies.......
    Foreign ****holes: "welders and grinders", a bar made entirely of breezeblocks and corrugated iron that only sold cans,only for dollars, with the "Welders" sign over one door and the "Grinders" sign over another.beyond rough with suitable clientele but they left us alone. Azerbaijan 1997.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The Black Bull, City road London, used to work there way back in the day, it was a tied house but the owner kept 2 tills, one for the brewery and one for the "acquired" kegs. One night, a father came after his son-in-law with a hatchet, fortunately he was so pissed he mostly missed him (2 fingers) and the blade lodged in the bar counter, during Italia '90 war broke out on a regular basis between the Irish and English ends of the bar.

In Dublin, the pub with no name on Moore St, while not dangerous definitely gets a few points for dodginess, the Blue Lion on Parnell St. required you'd graduated from the Joy to be seen there as for those dissing the Chinaman and the Lamplighter, they were grand pubs, not out and out friendly, but grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Love this scene from I Went Down.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

The Black Bull, City road London, used to work there way back in the day, it was a tied house but the owner kept 2 tills, one for the brewery and one for the "acquired" kegs. One night, a father came after his son-in-law with a hatchet, fortunately he was so pissed he mostly missed him (2 fingers) and the blade lodged in the bar counter, during Italia '90 war broke out on a regular basis between the Irish and English ends of the bar.

In Dublin, the pub with no name on Moore St, while not dangerous definitely gets a few points for dodginess, the Blue Lion on Parnell St. required you'd graduated from the Joy to be seen there as for those dissing the Chinaman and the Lamplighter, they were grand pubs, not out and out friendly, but grand.

I used to work on City Road...I think I was in the Black Bull in the early 90's, Were u ever in The Eagle Pub?

"Up and down the City Road, in and out the Eagle, that's the way the money goes...Pop goes the weasel..."

apparently the Weasel was the owner of the Pawn Shop next to the pub...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Weylin wrote: »
    the Black Horse Pub,ilford high road,essex /east london....... 20 years ago.......100% guaranteed stabbing/glassing/riot.blacks versus whites, limerick,dublin a playground compared...mill wall just up the road..stratford, the old krays territory.

The 7 Kings in Ilford was a similar sort of place..glassings there every night.

Me and some friends were walking by one night and there was a guy lying in the middle of the road with a pool of blood forming under his head and a coat over his legs...obviously dead.

He had stabbed somebody and the cops ran him over as he was making his getaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I worked in the roundabout in artane with the manager of the cardiff in finglas and he told me one night he came out to find lots of little holes in every panel of this car and a pick axe stinking through his roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pubs I remember from the 1980s in Glasgow.
    The Dalriada bar, an absolute kip of a bar in the Edinburgh Road/Cranhill part of Glasgow. I used to score my Moroccan in there, It was absolutely hilarious when the drug squad were working there, they stuck out like sore thumbs, any newbies scoring there would be sent over to the drug squad until they would be forced to leave because of the embarrassment. http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/dalriada.html

The Drum in Shettleston, Glasgow, I walked in one night and had to duck as a tumbler came flying above my head, I just exited immediately again.

The nearest bar to the Larne harbour or port, an absolute kip of a place which I cannot remember the name of. Was stranded for 8 hours at the docks until we could get a ferry crossing to Scotland, I would not recommend doing a pub crawl in Larne unless you are a sectarian orange eejit.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I worked in the roundabout in artane with the manager of the cardiff in finglas and he told me one night he came out to find lots of little holes in every panel of this car and a pick axe stinking through his roof.

Some fool was found trapped in the roof of that place one morning..he had tried to break in by making a hole in the roof and got stuck and spent the night.

I cant help thinking he was lucky he was caught somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

@frankosm:

I was hangin around the east end in those days...did u ever drink in the Cock on East Ham High street?

• Advertisement

@frankosm:

I was hangin around the east end in those days...did u ever drink in the Cock on East Ham High street?

Nope..i bet it was a bundle of laughs though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Either The Steering Wheel, O'Riadas or the Olympic Arms in Limerick. and Im from Limerick so I can say it :D

O'Riadas is Bourkes now, so back on top of the list of good pubs in Limerick, live music 6 nights a week and none of gods forgotten children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Abroad it has to be the Lord Nelson on Seven Sisters Road. The dregs of paddy alcoholsim everywhere. I saw a fella taking a piss on a table there the night of the Irl/Eng Euroqualifier in 1991. To give him his due he didn't know where he was because he had been asleep across a seat for the previous hour. Pure class.

Locally the Chicken Ranch in Ballybeg was a sight to behold. 4" bars on the windows and the walls decorated with, I kid you not, Fás Course certificates for what seemed to be all 3 or 4 week courses. If you think Fás is a joke now, one of the proud graduates had a certificate that showed a completion date that was a month prior to the start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

padma wrote: »
    on topic of limerick bars, wasnt quite dodgy as the crowd was young, but the henry cecil was interesting.

was there when your one got shot, ****ed up place, 16 i was

Another was in Toronto, after hours bar off Spadina, all the furniturs must have been take from the side walk there was one fridge and everyone seemed to be a dealer, spent 2 hours trying to convince a guy to take off the packaging on a lap top to prove that it was in there, things got pretty testy and a knife was shown at which point my boss said do you realise we are in Canada cock sucker and when we all started laughing the home boys presumed we were not to be messed with and ****ed off

We were to be messed with but they didnt need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just out of college, so went to wild east germany in the early 90's. One of many dodgy pubs in chemnitz. so I worked in the new irish bar* and after we shut for the night, we sometimes went to one of the local bars. or at least we did for the first week or 2 after opening, but one night we got attacked by neo-nazis - who targeted some of our british and irish customers**, but didn't touch the staff for some reason. myself, my now wife and a few of the lads scarpered to a nearby flat. I had to talk big phil down from going back with samuri swords. 3 brought to hospital. one of ours, 2 of theirs.

Turns out the nazis were hired by the local mafia dudes to give us a warning because the owner of the irish bar wouldn't pay protection money. So he put out a rumour that the IRA was protecting us. this was pre-ceasefire and may have been true. I don't know how that worked out because...

we were home 3 weeks later after somehow getting unknowingly mixed up in a dodgy building development project - the regulars thought we were spies for a building contractor and that we were going to hire labour directly in ireland and under-cut their rates. We got a not so subtle word from the pub owner that we were possibly persona's non-gratas in Chemnitz - "better clear off, I'd hate to have to clean up your blood off my lovely new bar"

*new irish bar was well dodgy too...

**among the regulars, there were exiles from the loyalist and republican sides, ex-irish and british army, ex-foreign legion, ex-clonmel and one fella with a big scar across his face who apparently was wanted by the RUC for murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

graces in rathmines, south dublin has become extremely dodgy lately, a lot of the ex maddison crowd are there again

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kevin Coughlan

grizzly wrote: »
    Yes, this place was the first that came to mind. I remember walking to the jacks one night there. Got a hard shoulder on the way through the corridor, turned round to see it was a lady in her late 60's with a look in her eye that would melt stone.

When i was in dublin i used to like this pub but it was closed down the last time i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Never felt more afraid for me life than the when I was in the MASH BAR Fuengirola. It's a seedy bar literally in a back alley It was dark a run down little hole that used to be a little house and was painted brown outside (there was no back wall on the place at all). I was after having a few scoops and was feeling quite merry. Myself and a lad I was sharing the apartment stumbled across the pub thinking we were taking a shortcut back to the apartment. We decided we were nearly home so we'd nip in for a last drink before heading home.

The looks we got when we walked in. Everyone looked to be in their mid to late 40's tops & looked like they were all carrying a weapon of some sort. We were drunk so dutch courage made us stay for a scoop. There was a smoking area out the back & my mate wanted to go out sit down & smoke because it was a warm night. I could feel every man & woman watch us as we walked out to sit down. It was scary. Some (what I can only describe as) "burd" came over & started chatting to us. She was alright for her age & the amount of gargle I had in me. Was trying to get stuck in, we were having a bit of skit and when I went to the bar I was told, I'm not being asked to leave but I should maybe consider leaving anyway.

Needless to say we left toute suite and never even walked passed the front door of the place again.

(No I didn't get the ride either sadly.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Anita B Jaynow

Pubs are what you make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

alie wrote: »
    The furry bog in whitechurch

A fine establishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Pubs are what you make them.

Normal bars are..... the pubs this thread is about are not those kind of bars. They are exactly what they are you can't make anything else out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

graces in rathmines, south dublin has become extremely dodgy lately, a lot of the ex maddison crowd are there again

graces??
    haha what :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

repsol wrote: »
    True. Nocters near Sherrif St makes it look like the Shelbourne Bar:D
    Nocters is a fine establishment, as long as they know your face, never had a problem in there, great for a lock-in...

The Jetfoil that used to be on the quays before the Point, now that was a different story :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Nocters is a fine establishment, as long as they know your face, never had a problem in there, great for a lock-in...

The Jetfoil that used to be on the quays before the Point, now that was a different story :eek:

Jeeze we must have crossed paths.. I used to live almost right above Noctors!.

I haven't heard The Jetfoil name used in a long time!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Jeeze we must have crossed paths.. I used to live almost right above Noctors!.

I haven't heard The Jetfoil name used in a long time!.
    Originally from Seville Place...proper north side, inner city, Dub scum-bag me & proud of it ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Originally from Seville Place...proper north side, inner city, Dub scum-bag me & proud of it ;):D

We're probably inlaws/outlaws so!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

ablelocks wrote: »
    jamong the regulars, there were exiles from the loyalist and republican sides, ex-irish and british army, ex-foreign legion, ex-clonmel and one fella with a big scar across his face who apparently was wanted by the RUC for murder.

That alone damns the place immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Hungerford, East London. Ah maybe not. East London is full of dodgy kips. Love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I did once walk into the Cu Chulainn (aka 'Ra Land) in Dundalk in a blue shirt and red/white striped tie once years back when I was doing a door-to-door sales job. That was an interesting experience...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Merlins, used to be known as the camelot hotel, on the Malahide road near the clarehall sc, a propper cesspit.

Advertisement