Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say that Players Lounge in Fairview was a right dodgy joint before the fire (a mystery in it's self), didn't they put up the Queen is barred banner during her visit. Was ran by Celtic's Anthony Stokes father iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Long story short back in the camp next morning and I related the story to a few of the lads to be told "jesus lads you're not in Dublin now, soldiers can't just in any ol bar up here".

Couple army pals told me the same about Monaghan town when the barracks was still open there. And Dundalk.

I was v surprised they'd attack fellow countrymen. But then again you've to remember the mentality.

Apparently Cavan was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Another mention goes to De Bruins bar in Balbriggan Co.Dublin. One drunkard in the place asked my friend were we two undercover gards. When my friend told him where to go he came back a few minutes later and kept pacing up and down behind us while we were sitting at the bar. We quickly finished our drinks and never darkened the door of the place again.

That's not surprising,there used to be a guy who sold drugs,cigarettes,vodka in fact anything he got his hands on and that guy had many of the regulars and i (suspect) some of the staff in his pocket.Any strange patrons that came in would be 'questioned' by the barflies,and in return for their 'loyalty' yer man used to shout large rounds of pints for them every night.john Ds was worse again,a local family barricaded themselves in there a couple of years ago and thrashed the place to the tune of 90grand!! National headlines followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anyone ever drink in the infamous Ravenite Social club on Mulberry St, Little Italy before it closed? A 'members only' sign was on the door. I'd say a 'Mick' wouldn't have gone too well there.

The Subrite Bar in Hell's Kitchen is another dodgy joint. I'd say a guinea wouldn't go down to well there. :pac:
    Didn't think the Ravenite was open to the public,thought it was only really open to a particular "family".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

tipptom wrote: »
    Didn't think the Ravenite was open to the public,thought it was only really open to a particular "family".

Made 'members' and associates of a certain family. If you knew a guy who was in some way connected to another guy though they'd let ya in at the front door for an espresso. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Years ago (its different now thank ****) I was in Cambells bar, the bar at the foot of Croagh Patrick so a busy spot. I spilled my drink on the table and the staff use the mop from the toilets to mop the table top. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the fury bog in Whitechurch, fookin scaldy kip

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Either The Steering Wheel, O'Riadas or the Olympic Arms in Limerick. and Im from Limerick so I can say it :D

Pub formerly ran by the father of the tragically deceased Roy Collins i believe? RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

A pub my parents went to before the owner worked at the bar and had a dog, Which she let loose while there were customers there. Story goes that the dog used to lick the customers pints :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Davy Byrnes. They used to have a 50 p nailed to the floor of the gents

If you dropped your wallet you had to kick it out the door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Billy86 wrote: »
    I did once walk into the Cu Chulainn (aka 'Ra Land) in Dundalk in a blue shirt and red/white striped tie once years back when I was doing a door-to-door sales job. That was an interesting experience...

Did you tell them your name was Billy aswell!!? :eek:

A right kip of a place alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

The blue light in Prague. When you go in for the first time you write your name on the wall (or make your X) arguments were settled by chucking bottles across the bar & the toilets were used as a pharmacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The blue light in Prague. When you go in for the first time you write your name on the wall (or make your X) arguments were settled by chucking bottles across the bar & the toilets were used as a pharmacy.

Ohh I remember that one alright. Club Sauna was another mad one. Great city overall though. I've been there a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hi all not much into pubs these days at my age im more interested in broadcasting live on cam4 but as far as dodgy pubs from my younger years go id have to say denis twomeys in enniscorthy regards brian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'd say that Players Lounge in Fairview was a right dodgy joint before the fire (a mystery in it's self), didn't they put up the Queen is barred banner during her visit. Was ran by Celtic's Anthony Stokes father iirc.
    I used to live near the Player's Lounge. It was just a typical Dublin Sky Sports bar. Used to have big gatherings for Celtic FC matches but just an average Dublin soccer pub in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

Years ago (its different now thank ****) I was in Cambells bar, the bar at the foot of Croagh Patrick so a busy spot. I spilled my drink on the table and the staff use the mop from the toilets to mop the table top. :eek:

LOL, my local when I'm at home :) Used to be a hovel alright, but always had a great pint of Guinness (if you were lucky enough to get a clean glass). I remember the old owner bringing out bowls of soup to two yank ladies with his sh!te covered thumbs dipped into the soup! Needless to say their appetites disappeared quickly :pac:

It has been refurbished into a quality establishment now though and the pint is better that ever - one of the best in Ireland imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

The Dail bar id say more bogeys than finches which I live beside
    Also Hardys in ballyer late seventies now chasers mad kip but great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Probably The Steering Wheel.

I'd go for a pint in The Launch occasionally too, which is pretty dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

the fury bog in Whitechurch, fookin scaldy kip

Been mentioned here a few times. I played a few gigs in it about 10 years ago..

It was grand in fairness.. Although it was Thursday nights and not very busy.

but,. Do you remember the song by Patrick Bergin called "The Knacker"?

Well.. It was out around that time and I played it one night... The barman politely informed me there was a family in the bar who might prefer if I didnt play it again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

the railway bar in sheriff st knocked down in the 70s not a day too soon

• Advertisement

The Dail bar id say more bogeys than finches which I live beside

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

doughef wrote: »
    Been mentioned here a few times. I played a few gigs in it about 10 years ago..

It was grand in fairness.. Although it was Thursday nights and not very busy.

but,. Do you remember the song by Patrick Bergin called "The Knacker"?

Well.. It was out around that time and I played it one night... The barman politely informed me there was a family in the bar who might prefer if I didnt play it again!!
    played a gig there myself a few years ago, turned my back for 30 seconds and one of the natives was halfway out the door with my amp

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

played a gig there myself a few years ago, turned my back for 30 seconds and one of the natives was halfway out the door with my amp

No way????

How long ago was that.. did you get it back?

It burnt down at on stage but I believe its opened again.

juniord wrote: »
    the railway bar in sheriff st knocked down in the 70s not a day too soon

As bad/good as noctors

The 7th lock was a classic, some clientèle, mostly from the nearby Labre Park a private uber posh estate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Anyone know that bar in Abbeyleix, your man lost his licence and kept it going as a restaurant? Savage mouldy smell from the place, I was in there a few years ago he was talking about doing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Used to be a pub here in my hometown, and the owner was known as Jimmy Hammer, cos he took a mallet from under the bar and clocked a patron over the head with it to quell an argument. The pool table was more parcel tape than mat, and the cues were chalked by dragging them down the plasterboard wall. Nothing on tap, he just sold cans.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Anyone know that bar in Abbeyleix, your man lost his licence and kept it going as a restaurant? Savage mouldy smell from the place, I was in there a few years ago he was talking about doing it up.

I think thats the garda station your thinking about

The 7th lock was a classic, some clientèle, mostly from the nearby Labre Park a private uber posh estate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

One in santry that looked nice from the outside but had two bouncers on the door on a Sunday night with like 10 people inside.

There was a Chinese attached to it if anyone knows it. I felt like I was going to be stabbed with the people inside

Advertisement