Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've been in The Swallows in Clondalkin... You had to pay an entrance fee, but I was told it doesn't go to the management... The only reason I was safe to be there was because of who I was drinking with. Otherwise my southside accent would have had me in trouble. It was a proper scary pub.
    Clondalkin is on the southside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

One in santry that looked nice from the outside but had two bouncers on the door on a Sunday night with like 10 people inside.

There was a Chinese attached to it if anyone knows it. I felt like I was going to be stabbed with the people inside

Swiss cottage (or was it Swiss barn)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Swiss cottage (or was it Swiss barn)

Swiss Cottage isn't so bad, unless it's seriously gone down hill in recent years. They have a decent carvery there. Or at least they did have.

A few kips that spring to mind:

The Blarney Stone in amsterdam. Awful place. Patrons were generally Dutch, British or Irish and were in the same boat, i.e. wanted by the law locally or back home.

The Tollington, Tollington Road Islington. Frigging toilet was apocalyptic. A faeces plastered kind of crater slightly elevated from the floor. It probably was a toilet bowl at some stage but looked like it had been dynamited. Reminded me of the dump in Trainspotting where Begby battered that bloke who spilled his pint. I was only there a few times but always sat on the seats outside. It was safer.

McNams, Northern Boulevard, Queens, New York. We used to call it Viet-Nams :pac:

The Trafford Arms on match day can be a bit intimidating if there's a certain "element" among the supporters and definitely if anything had been "arranged" with the visiting fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Chinaman was down the back of Dublin Castle - got levelled inside a week (lack of license was the last I heard). Once saw a guy walk in there with a dog the size of a donkey. The bloke got turned away and they let the dog in. Fine pub...I'm getting all misty eyes now.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The Castle Inn, St James Rd. Northampton many stories, many strange stories. And Northampton has many dodgy pubs, toe curling dodgy. There was a Jungle club up near Kings Heath, white man beware, still went in with a friend, my arse still has not relaxed after 18 years.

As for the pubs named in Limerick, I would give the Galvone / Olympic the number one spot. Was in there years ago, and in comes this young fella on a pony to collect a message for grannie (as I was told) and off out again (surreal experience). Cant think of the name of the pub that was in Fox's Bow, which was choice to say the least. And there was always I think it was called ma Reillys in Wickham St, great place if you where know, not if your weren't.

And not a pub but a disco, the Atlantic in Kilkee. Where the bouncers used to wash out the blood and the semen with fire hoses. And that's just the sanitised version.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Blacker in the grounds of Northside shopping center in Dublin... An unholy kip of a place if there ever was one. The Swiss is a nice pub just attracts a lot of scummy clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Heskey1971

There used to be some bad ones on the southside,The Farmhouse in Monkstown,everyone barred from the local pubs got in there or the Corbawn Tavern at the shopping centre in Shankill.The lounge was bad but the bar was notorious,it was nicknamed '' The Olympic village '' cause the amount of tracksuit lads that would go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roberto91

MonaPizza wrote: »
    A few kips that spring to mind:

The Blarney Stone in amsterdam. Awful place. Patrons were generally Dutch, British or Irish and were in the same boat, i.e. wanted by the law locally or back home.

The Tollington, Tollington Road Islington. Frigging toilet was apocalyptic. A faeces plastered kind of crater slightly elevated from the floor. It probably was a toilet bowl at some stage but looked like it had been dynamited. Reminded me of the dump in Trainspotting where Begby battered that bloke who spilled his pint. I was only there a few times but always sat on the seats outside. It was safer.

McNams, Northern Boulevard, Queens, New York. We used to call it Viet-Nams :pac:

The Trafford Arms on match day can be a bit intimidating if there's a certain "element" among the supporters and definitely if anything had been "arranged" with the visiting fans.
    ha ha i know the owner of the blarney stone paddy from Tralee,he's had it since 1973 a nicer fella you couldn't meet,this is a real " Irish pub" unlike the fake ones that are now so common all over Europe. As for this thread i think most people don't really understand pubs and are frightened middle class twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roberto91

Rough pubs Noctors sherriff st,the jetfoil north wall quay(closed),the blue lion Parnell st,the Alexandra bar,York st Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

adrag wrote: »
    I think thats the garda station your thinking about
    A pub called the garda station :confused: maybe you're messing, anyway I found out the name of the pub it's Eagles rest.

My brother and I were in Charleville back in the 80's we went into a pub before going to the night club after we ordered our drinks we realized it was a travelers pub. We went to the jacks and there was gawk all over the place :( we downed our drink fast and left. There was no spring on the door and after going 10 yards down the street all we heard was the travelers roaring inside the pub CLOSE THE FCUKING DOOR :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

mrsoundie wrote: »
    The Castle Inn, St James Rd. Northampton many stories, many strange stories. And Northampton has many dodgy pubs, toe curling dodgy. There was a Jungle club up near Kings Heath, white man beware, still went in with a friend, my arse still has not relaxed after 18 years.

As for the pubs named in Limerick, I would give the Galvone / Olympic the number one spot. Was in there years ago, and in comes this young fella on a pony to collect a message for grannie (as I was told) and off out again (surreal experience). Cant think of the name of the pub that was in Fox's Bow, which was choice to say the least. And there was always I think it was called ma Reillys in Wickham St, great place if you where know, not if your weren't.

And not a pub but a disco, the Atlantic in Kilkee. Where the bouncers used to wash out the blood and the semen with fire hoses. And that's just the sanitised version.

Is it Buddys bar in Foxs Bow that you are thinking of? I wouldn't think it fits in the thread, but then again there are a lot of pubs in this thread that I have been in over the years that have either gone downhill a lot, or I don't remember them as they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Anybody remember the Bar with no name at the top of Moore st?

It had a sort of hatch at the front where i guy with one eye would sell cheap and nasty flagons for 3 euro.

the bar itself was a pigsty,it stank of rotten fruit and feet and it always seemed to be full of grannies gumming thier stout.

Saw some guy gethis head split open with an iron bar fro some reason...he just walked out drenched in blood and that was teh end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Is it Buddys bar in Foxs Bow that you are thinking of? I wouldn't think it fits in the thread, but then again there are a lot of pubs in this thread that I have been in over the years that have either gone downhill a lot, or I don't remember them as they were.

Yes it was Buddy's, but like a lot of places, when you first walk in (unaccompanied) it can be very off putting. After time you don't notice it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

The Chancery Inn on the quays is not a nice place to be at 7am on a Saturday morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

The George... I'm a good lookin lad

Wolf Club wrote: »
    The Chancery Inn on the quays is not a nice place to be at 7am on a Saturday morning!

Is it still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Saints & Sinners Nt King St Dublin, crawled in on paddies day/night with my mate from London, 5 blokes at the bar and a couple of women,"you can stay as long as you don't dance with the woman" was the advice we got from the barman.Made it home and had a dance with the women. it closed down just after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Ah The Finches in Neilstown….what a pub! Witnessed such a romantic scene there once. A couple arguing away in a corner, him beyond hammered, her sporting a fairly fresh black eye.

Next thing he drags her up to the bar, demands a microphone that they used to make announcements, and tells the whole packed bar (as she stares at the floor) 'I've just proposed to ******. We're engaged, what do yiz think of that?'. Cue a confused, slow hand clap that eventually builds into short lived applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A bar/cafe that looked like it had been hit by a bomb in Tijuana.there was no front wall on the bar,rubble on the ground and every customer looked like that actor fella who plays machete.I was drunk on a j1 and stumbled in there after leaving the nightclub alone,downed a few shots and kept laughing to myself as the locals stared me out of it.in hindsight it was a wreckless enough move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

The cabra house.....grim, full of scum in track suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

:eek:
    robertxxx wrote: »
    The cabra house.....grim, full of scum in track suits.

+1 the day of martin hylands funeral....what were me and my mate thinkin when we ventured in,we nothing to do for rest of the day!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Adding my vote to the Blue Lion.
    Back in the 90s we were doing the Guinness Pubs of Dublin one weekend.
    (Anyone else remember the poster with 40 pubs on it?)

The weekend after, a hitman came in with a gun to carry out a contract on one of the locals.
    Before he could get a shot off, the patrons jumped on him, dealt with him in their own way and got back on with the drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

doughef wrote: »
    No way????

How long ago was that.. did you get it back?

It burnt down at on stage but I believe its opened again.
    would have been 5/6 years ago. I let a roar and the lad dropped the amp and ran off, barman thought it was quite amusing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The Queens, Kings Cross in the mid 70s. Fighting, whores, pimps, criminals, con artists etc. But a great place to visit now and then when out on the tear!

The Oval on Abbey st back in the early 90's was a criminal cesspit.

You could buy hash,smack or napps there in broad daylight and stolen goods were piled up in the corners ready to be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

thats a really nice bar!
    used to work next door and drop in now and then when im over.
    Owner runs it well and no drugs etc.

if you want a bit more authentic then theres a couple of dodgier irish bars , i used to frequent one where the owner had a photo of a yacht over the bar , used it when smuggling.
    always able to get a bit of work on the black market in there no bother.
    another one on the edge of the red light had some very dodgy goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Mos Eisley Cantina

Dodgy as f*ck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

the rivermount in finglas

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    Is it still open?

It isn't a nice place to be at 7am Saturday morning because you still have to wait until 8:30 for it to open.

Advertisement