Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This pub on Ballybough Rd., peeling lino - jukebox in the corner, all heads turned when we walked in, you could cut the tension with a knife - don't know the name of it though.

Sunset House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

The flying bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

thelad95 wrote: »
    The World's End, Kilkenny City. It cleaned up it's act a bit for the Bruce Springsteen concerts last year but the clientelle are questionable to say the least.

They named that bar fairly well in all fairness some heads in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Either the Fob and Gill, locally known as "The Rob and Kill" or this little pub right up by Shandon Tower, with RA graffitti in the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I mentioned it years ago on this thread but have to say it again - The Bridge House in Dolphins Barn, south Dublin

A new crowd had taken it over and tried to clean it up, two week ago it was smashed to pieces after they refused a local scumbag from the flats. They promptly sold up and the old crowd have taken it again, they are the only people that have some degree of control over the scum. The new owner wont hire women because of the fear they will be attacked if they are there on their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I was in Brussels and headed to this so called "Irish" bar in city centre called Celtica and when I was about to show my ID to the bouncer then suddenly he jumped right back into the bar to find out there was a fight erupting. I went in anyway and boy it was the creepiest bar I've ever been in. There was this old man sitting on a stool at the back of bar having a peek at the young women and a few weirdos frightening the poor ladies. Safe to say I left just before the guards arrived on the scene to investigate the so called fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Dalys, Mary Joes or the hatchet, all pubs in a ****ehole called Ennistymon, the hatchet is closed now thank Christ

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I was in Brussels and headed to this so called "Irish" bar in city centre called Celtica and when I was about to show my ID to the bouncer then suddenly he jumped right back into the bar to find out there was a fight erupting. I went in anyway and boy it was the creepiest bar I've ever been in. There was this old man sitting on a stool at the back of bar having a peek at the young women and a few weirdos frightening the poor ladies. Safe to say I left just before the guards arrived on the scene to investigate the so called fight.

Is that pub still there? I found it decent enough,a euro for a bottle of Stella can't coplain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

beano345 wrote: »
    Is that pub still there? I found it decent enough,a euro for a bottle of Stella can't coplain
    Aye I was there last year. It was probarly a bad time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

the blue coat boy pub in islington in the early 80's. full of right wing skinheads and not many brain cells. i only went because a friends band were playing there but was lucky to get out alive. it seemed to kick off every few minutes, first among themselves but once their attention turned to us it got extra nasty. i had a broken glass shoved in my face and a bottle put over my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

There's a pub in a place called Mallaragh, just outside athlone. I don't think you could consider it dodgy in dangerous way, it's just a very odd pub in the sense that it's actually some old ladies kitchen.
    The lounge is her sitting room and to use the bathroom, you have to go through her bedroom. Tis all a bit too Diliverance for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

cactuspaw wrote: »
    There's a pub in a place called Mallaragh, just outside athlone. I don't think you could consider it dodgy in dangerous way, it's just a very odd pub in the sense that it's actually some old ladies kitchen.
    The lounge is her sitting room and to use the bathroom, you have to go through her bedroom. Tis all a bit too Diliverance for my liking.

What are those unlicensed pubs way out in the sticks called again.. a shebeen is the word that's jumping to my mind? Sounds a lot like one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

cactuspaw wrote: »

Say it's Murray's kitchen in Maghera between Athlone and Ballymahon you're thinking of. It's a very different pub alright but was featured in a top 100 pubs in Ireland book I bought last year.
    Not a sheebeen either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Crazy one in New York. Had to go through metal detectors and get frisked before we went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Crazy one in New York. Had to go through metal detectors and get frisked before we went in.

That was the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

John D's pub in Balbriggan. Made the mistake of going in there to watch a United Vs Liverpool match in a United Jersey, everyone else was in Liverpool jerseys!! A fight broke out during the match, they knocked over a few tables and no one batted an eyelid.. Stood them back up and back to the match!

This is the pub that the travellers had their siege in years ago!

Mick55 wrote: »
    John D's pub in Balbriggan. Made the mistake of going in there to watch a United Vs Liverpool match in a United Jersey, everyone else was in Liverpool jerseys, fight broke out during the match, knocked over a few tables, no one batted an eyelid, stood them back up and back to the match!

This is the pub that the travellers had their siege in years ago!

Cleaned up it's act now apparently....

They kicked all the scummers out and apparently its a nice place...

Apparently being the operative word, you couldn't pay me to go check...

My brother in law now swears by the place after previously hating it....

I only was ever in once, got chatted up by a traveller lady and left soon as....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

1968 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Balally Inn opposite Moreen housing estate still has a bit of a rep.

I live near it. Never been inside, but never want to go in. Yelp reviews are hilarious. Heard rumours of it being a provo hangout, amongst other things.

Mate of mine didn't know about it and called in for a pint after work. The place went silent as soon as he came in the door and when he sat at the bar, some of the regulars came up to him and asked him if he was a copper (he was wearing his navy Lidl uniform).

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

thelad95 wrote: »
    The World's End, Kilkenny City. It cleaned up it's act a bit for the Bruce Springsteen concerts last year but the clientelle are questionable to say the least.

We were in there earlier this year, was the only early house we could find.

Quite a few "characters" in it but I didn't think it was too dodgy, often been in a lot worse.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Fieldog wrote: »
    Cleaned up it's act now apparently....

They kicked all the scummers out and apparently its a nice place...

Apparently being the operative word, you couldn't pay me to go check...

My brother in law now swears by the place after previously hating it....

I only was ever in once, got chatted up by a traveller lady and left soon as....
    I live across the road :( Moved in 4 months ago, hadn't been in it yet but may avoid it so!

• Advertisement

Splinter wrote: »
    I live across the road :( Moved in 4 months ago, hadn't been in it yet but may avoid it so!

If my bro in law says its fine now I'd take his word for it, he drinks in the town locally so I'm sure he knows the craic....

I live down in Balrothery, my local is the Inn which isn't bad for what it is...

Not as exciting as my real local from home...

(affectionately referred to as the Vomit in this thread!)

Johns D's is grand now nice spot for a pint,does anyone remember the nightclub across the street in the hotel? Movitos i think it was called....good holy fcuk :eek:

beano345 wrote: »
    Johns D's is grand now nice spot for a pint,does anyone remember the nightclub across the street in the hotel? Movitos i think it was called....good holy fcuk :eek:

They had a nightclub?

Wow, I must have missed out.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

This pub on Ballybough Rd., peeling lino - jukebox in the corner, all heads turned when we walked in, you could cut the tension with a knife - don't know the name of it though.

Wouldn't fancy going into any of the pubs on ballybough road or summerhill. They seem to ridiculously full all times of day even first thing in the morning.

Wouldn't fancy going into any of the pubs on ballybough road or summerhill. They seem to ridiculously full all times of day even first thing in the morning.

Somebody should roll a couple of grenades into them when their full, it would sort out a lot of social problems around them areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

If my bro in law says its fine now I'd take his word for it, he drinks in the town locally so I'm sure he knows the craic....

I live down in Balrothery, my local is the Inn which isn't bad for what it is...

Not as exciting as my real local from home...

(affectionately referred to as the Vomit in this thread!)

Of course there's something wrong with the place. It's in Balbriggan.

They had a nightclub?

Wow, I must have missed out.... :)

Yeah I remember me and a mate going to it as a last resort,you had to go down this side alley and around a few corners,I was telling my mate it was a bad idea the whole way right up until we turned the last corner to the entrance and there was absolute pandemonium outside.skerries and Balbriggan used to have a big rivalry in those days,the square in Balbriggan was like a boxing ring on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

"My local is a bit rough, we had a table quiz last week, and the first question was, "What are you looking at?" :) A joke from the great Tom O'Connor.

Went into lisdoonvarna for the a few hours on Sunday, did a few of the pubs around town and their was a nice respectable crowd around mostly.

Then I went into THE RITZ, which I hadn't been in in about 5 years and all ill say is, if you're in lisdoonvarna over September for the matchmaking festival I'd invest in a helmet and stab vest before entering the ritz, while I was their i witnessed 2 fights 2 lads at the bar fast asleep and the floor was like someone had let pigs in for a few hours the night before, it was like all the local scum bags and their women decided to head their for the match, what a ****e hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Was recently in the Emerald Bar in Bundoran....for a very quick pint that was as flat as a plate of piss. The stares from the locals and the barman necking a bottle of bulmers with one hand while pouring my pint with the other was enough to tell me to leave.

Advertisement