Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Was recently in the Emerald Bar in Bundoran....for a very quick pint that was as flat as a plate of piss. The stares from the locals and the barman necking a bottle of bulmers with one hand while pouring my pint with the other was enough to tell me to leave.

I think I know it, some look at ye if you aren't a local

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

whupdedo wrote: »
    Went into lisdoonvarna for the a few hours on Sunday, did a few of the pubs around town and their was a nice respectable crowd around mostly.

Then I went into THE RITZ, which I hadn't been in in about 5 years and all ill say is, if you're in lisdoonvarna over September for the matchmaking festival I'd invest in a helmet and stab vest before entering the ritz, while I was their i witnessed 2 fights 2 lads at the bar fast asleep and the floor was like someone had let pigs in for a few hours the night before, it was like all the local scum bags and their women decided to head their for the match, what a ****e hole

"The Shítz", I've always called it... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

The Dail Bar.

I was there in 2006 and fairly recently... and then as now it was full of the most crooked evil lying chancers who would rob the pension from your blind granny if they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭RayCon

"My local is a bit rough, we had a table quiz last week, and the first question was, "What are you looking at?" :) A joke from the great Tom O'Connor.
    Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A few dodgy ones in Limerick all in close proximity to each other include Stepper Flanagan's (Formerly Norbert's), Gerry Power's bar, O'Donnell's, TC's bar and McLysaght's across from the prison. All dreary pi$$holes frequented by unemployed middle aged alcoholics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

A few dodgy ones in Limerick all in close proximity to each other include Stepper Flanagan's (Formerly Norbert's), Gerry Power's bar, O'Donnell's, TC's bar and McLysaght's across from the prison. All dreary pi$$holes frequented by unemployed middle aged alcoholics.
    Gerry Powers is grand mainly country folk.
    Was in T.C's once about 2 years ago, one of the blokes with us was greeted by 2 girls drinking there with hello sir! Turns out he was teaching them 2nd year geography.
    Dodgy as ****, met a professional burglar I know and his old man, also a lag ( family business).
    Still some of the best guinness I've ever had, great stout in scobe pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Quinns pub Drumcondra last summer on All Ireland weekend. It was closed down by H&S inspectors for a few days after. Apparantly a sewage pipe burst down in the cellar and foodstuffs and beer kegs were destroyed to which they sold anyway. And as for the toilets, they were like something out of war torn Baghdad, the mankiest of toilets most of which were blocked, and it was like the TV show Dancing on Ice in there the floors were covered in so much piss not to mention the lingering smell of stale piss in there which would have knocked even the most resilient of horses. And to make matters worse the place was like a cattle mart after the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Miall108 wrote: »
    Quinns pub Drumcondra last summer on All Ireland weekend. And to make matters worse the place was like a cattle mart after the match

Thats what happens when you go to a pub next to Croke Park on a match day.... avoid avoid avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

sugarman wrote: »
    Toss up between the brazen head in Glasgow or this **** hole of a bar in Bratislava where we were basically forced drinks/shots or get a roughing up

I've drank in the Brazen for years and while the regulars would be working class Glasgow folk, I would in no way describe it as 'dodgy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've seen both the Barn and Bridge Houses in Dolphin's Barn mentioned a couple of times here, just wondering what specifically is wrong with them? Both right around the corner from a mate's gaff on the South Circular near Dolphin House, was going to organize a few pints in one or the other with some mates next week and this thread comes up when you Google them ;)

So what kind of dodginess are we talking? Getting ripped off? Fights/rows? Underage folk? Junkies sprawling around? Dodgy means different things to different folk, and I'm fairly indifferent to a lot of it so just wondering what 'type' of dodginess I should be prepared for if we do head in for a few :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

He asked where i was from and I said Crossmaglen and he basically informed the staff that i wasnt to pay for a drink.

Is the cartwheel still open?I had a good session in there one day after a match with a few locals,so the next time I was in that neck of the woods I decided to pop in for a quick jar.Wrong move,a kindly looking,elderly gentleman, who looked like he was on the wrong side of 80 approached me and said,and i quote "get the f@ck out of cross,or yourself and your wee woman there will be taken out the road"
    Due to his language, I kinda guessed he wasn't talking about an impromptu sightseeing tour around the highways and byways of south armagh.Needless to say,i fecked off pretty sharpish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

JTL wrote: »
    I've drank in the Brazen for years and while the regulars would be working class Glasgow folk, I would in no way describe it as 'dodgy'.

Not sure if serious ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Not sure if serious ;)

100% serious but don't let that get in the way of football rivalry :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

JTL wrote: »
    100% serious but don't let that get in the way of football rivalry :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with football rivalry I can assure you. Been in it a few times and my opinion of it should be shut longer the next time. To be straight if it was a pub like the Louden I would say the same. Horrible pubs full of in the main not very nice people. And I have dunk in pubs that make the brazen head look like a 4 star establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

PrivateEye wrote: »
    My parents used to booze in the Baggott Inn, O' Donoghues, Brazen Head , Meeting Place and all them kips. Mainly lovely pubs now, but they were mad nights by all accounts.

Your parents are of my generation.That area was the Temple bar of that time .Lots of live music ,and i never saw a fight break out .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Some pub in Salford, cant remember the name of it, the pig and the kettle or some such combination (think of an animal and some completely random inanimate object). It was rough as fcuk and I have been to some very rough spots (Steering wheel, finches, master mariner, some places in Rio... even used to do the door in the Hitching Post in Leixlip).

Stayed for 2 just so we didn't look like we running away. Left and one of the lads had to take a leak so we went on to the chipper around the corner (one of the lads stayed with him), met the 2 lads as we were leaving and they wanted food so we said we would meet them later. Hour later one of the lads rings us from hospital to tell us the other was stabbed in the neck with a screwdriver and is in critical condition. He survived thankfully but that is the worst place I have ever been.

Dodgiest pub? One would be a trendy bar i walked into in LA,USA .I was there about 5 minutes and noticed it was packed but had absolutely no women .It took a further second to work out it was a GAY bar .
    Have been in some crap bars in Holyhead ,waiting for the ship .

Also when i lived in London around Holloway road ,over 25 years ago ,there were some rough Irish bars around .One stank of piss and stale beer as soon as you entered the door .I had to visit it on business some times ,and that is the only reason i entered it .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

anto9 wrote: »

Also when i lived in London around Holloway road ,over 25 years ago ,there were some rough Irish bars around .One stank of piss and stale beer as soon as you entered the door .I had to visit it on business some times ,and that is the only reason i entered it .

That must either have been the Crown or the Cock, both were manky kips

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

faceman wrote: »
    I dont mean stories like "turns out it was a gay bar and Im not gay", i mean real dodgy.
    Dodgiest pub? One would be a trendy bar i walked into in LA,USA .I was there about 5 minutes and noticed it was packed but had absolutely no women .It took a further second to work out it was a GAY bar .

Doesn't count !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Two of us ended up in a nomads pub in charleville and had our pints ordered before we realised it, quickest two pints we ever had.

• Advertisement

Roberto91 wrote: »
    ha ha i know the owner of the blarney stone paddy from Tralee,he's had it since 1973 a nicer fella you couldn't meet,this is a real " Irish pub" unlike the fake ones that are now so common all over Europe. As for this thread i think most people don't really understand pubs and are frightened middle class twats.

The Blarney stone was never rough ,but looked a bit grim in the early 80s .Was there again just 2 months ago and it was a bit tarted up and looked much better than i remembered it from before .Its now big into serving food ,and had lighted candles at each table .There were two nice girls serving .

uch wrote: »
    That must either have been the Crown or the Cock, both were manky kips

They were bad ,but this was called the Norfolk Arms ,(if i remember correctly )
    down a little side street off the Holloway road ,not too far from the Archway Tavern end .It was run by an elderly Irish lady .

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

The china man. Golden lane Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

I think it was a pub in Cricklewood, London, called The Hole In The Wall. I was visiting the brother and having a few beers with him and some college mates. Nobody had drank there before and it seem O.K. We were on our second pint when a guy walks out from a pool room and threatens the barman with a hatchet.

It turns out the place was so notorious, there was a panic alarm under the bar. Things seemed to have calmed down, but it turns out the barman had pressed the silent panic button. So about 10 minutes after the altercation, about 16 cops walk into the pub in fully riot gear. They then asked all of us if we could step outside for a few minutes so they could take care of some business.

They then went to the pool room area and dragged out about 6 scumbags. They were in and out in the blink of an eye. Probably the best piece of police work I've ever seen. Needless to say, my brother and his mates never went back there again.

The Dail Bar. You want to see the shower of crooks, cheats and gangsters in there.

Fagans ,Drumcondra ,had a real nasty scum bag ,who used drink in both places.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The china man. Golden lane Dublin.

Thought is was Little Ship Street or near enough. Saw a man and his dog walk in there. Man refused. Dog the size of a small horse was allowed in. The dog didn't owe any money.
    That pub had class in it's own weird way. Bit like the Napper in close vicinity did).
    Dives like the Stork (RI little itty bits) and Morrisseys (sadly still with us) are just pathetic pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Thought is was Little Ship Street or near enough. Saw a man and his dog walk in there. Man refused. Dog the size of a small horse was allowed in. The dog didn't owe any money.
    That pub had class in it's own weird way. Bit like the Napper in close vicinity did).
    Dives like the Stork (RI little itty bits) and Morrisseys (sadly still with us) are just pathetic pits.

Corner of ship street and golden lane. Was sitting inside the door having a CAN of smithwicks when the cops raided the place one day.

Hilarity followed. The guy the cops were looking for walked in while the raid was going on, suddenly became aware of what was going on and shouted "TAXI (Mark Readian) " a garda turned to him and said Marks not going anywhere at the Moment....Buddy left and ran like the wind, we sat there chuckling away to ourselves.

(Mark Readian is not a real name)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Was in the Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel in the East End of London about 15 years ago. This pub was made "famous" by the Kray twins, when Ronnie Kray murdered someone there. Went in and it was like stepping back into the 60's, real old school pub.

Went back year for another visit and to my disappointment, it has become a hipster haven that sells craft beer and the like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

One in Ennis where the aged owner had a weak bladder and used to piss into a bucket behind the counter. Once he missed the bucket and used the dishcloth to wipe the foor.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That was pretty much every Irish bar in London 25 years ago. It may have changed by now.

Advertisement