Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

La Bog in Northbridge, Perth had a pretty rough crowd. Everyone looked like Chopper Read ..even the females. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

The Queens, Caledonian Rd, Kings Cross in the old days.

Whores, pimps, alcos, nut jobs, pervs and a few decent but curious fellas (like myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

My Sister was telling me recently about the pub she used to work in. Someone threw a dirty nappy on the ground and then a group of lads started kicking it round like a football.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Deep in enemy territory, Belfast :pac:

Israeli flag behind the bar and all at the time, epic. Literally looked like they'd decorated the pub by going 'What are the other crowd interested in at the minute? Alright. Whats the exact opposite of that? Brilliant we'll have two of them!'

Didn't have a pint anyway.

Oh I was in a pub in belfast once that had the whole front covered in a cage to prevent bombs being thrown in

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've heard of a bar that sounded kinda dodgy, but you would get drinks paid for you and sex all the time. I never went but my sisters were always there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

The caple just off caple street. Was in there recently after a night shift. smoking permitted, homeless people drinking, dogs with their own chair at the bar, and 3 bottles of heineken for €10 at 11 in the morning. Had to stand in a certain spot to have ur smoke incase the guards came in. Seems guards cant smell. Some hole. The people were all good craic. Gougers but good craic. Little pool shark hogging the table. Thought i was Terrance big balls challenging him. Dont think i took a shot and he had the table cleared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Fran1985 wrote: »
    The caple just off caple street. Was in there recently after a night shift. smoking permitted, homeless people drinking, dogs with their own chair at the bar, and 3 bottles of heineken for €10 at 11 in the morning. Had to stand in a certain spot to have ur smoke incase the guards came in. Seems guards cant smell. Some hole. The people were all good craic. Gougers but good craic. Little pool shark hogging the table. Thought i was Terrance big balls challenging him. Dont think i took a shot and he had the table cleared

I went into town one sat morning early and parked on little Britain St just up from there and the place was heaving. Was about 9.30am and was about 10-12 standing outside smoking, a mix of hard-looking Lithuanians and strung out hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

retalivity wrote: »
    I went into town one sat morning early and parked on little Britain St just up from there and the place was heaving. Was about 9.30am and was about 10-12 standing outside smoking, a mix of hard-looking Lithuanians and strung out hookers.

Thats the one. Wont be going back anytime soon or bringing the missus for a nightout there but me and guys from work had a laugh that morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Miall108 wrote: »
    Quinns pub Drumcondra last summer on All Ireland weekend. It was closed down by H&S inspectors for a few days after. Apparantly a sewage pipe burst down in the cellar and foodstuffs and beer kegs were destroyed to which they sold anyway. And as for the toilets, they were like something out of war torn Baghdad, the mankiest of toilets most of which were blocked, and it was like the TV show Dancing on Ice in there the floors were covered in so much piss not to mention the lingering smell of stale piss in there which would have knocked even the most resilient of horses. And to make matters worse the place was like a cattle mart after the match

I can't believe people still go there on match day. The pictures in the Independent were horrific. They'll never get a red cent of me again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

retalivity wrote: »

What was the give awa hat they were Lithuanian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Noctors, Crinan Strand: I am often tempted to go in just to see what it's like as I pass on my way to Docklands Station, haven't been brave enough to go in yet but I will some day
    I drank in it once.A fella I worked with was from down that area and brought us in.A kip but have been in worse spots ,didn't get any hassle but that was probably because of the fella with us,he knew most of the people in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's in the centre of the Lithuanian quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Oliver Gogartys ,scared the **** out of me with their prices .Nice place for music though and trying to pick up a young sexy Tourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

inforfun wrote: »

Jesus ... what a sh*thole ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ye guys want to know one town where nearly everyone of the bars is as rough as another?

Clonmel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

the_monkey wrote: »
    Jesus ... what a sh*thole ...

Drive past it every now and then.
    Somehow never had the urge to stop and go for a pint.
    Whenever i take the route that brings me past this one, i have gone past 1 or 2 other lovely places. Tour du Sheet 'Ole

And what was said about the smoking ban being ignored, must be true because i don't think i have ever seen anyone standing outside having a smoke.

Or their clientèle are all non smokers. Could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dorethy

Oink wrote: »
    I was in a small semi-derelict pub in the Coombe once. I was looking for a cuppatae while waiting for an appointment. That's the quickest cuppa I've ever had.

I have no idea what the name of the place is, and I'm not going back to find out.

Wonder if this was The Stork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

osarusan wrote: »
    It's in the centre of the Lithuanian quarter.

I thought half that quarter was Polish...:D

I've never been, but I heard the Watermill (?) in Raheny was a right ****hole,
    some guy told me one night a barfight ended up in the pharmacy next door - as in crashing through the wall - I think there's a lane between the pharmacy and pub tho ... be a good trick ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Dodgiest pub I was ever in was also the only pub I was ever asked to leave. Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Was in a pub in the Isle of Mann years ago called the Heron for a family members funeral (the drinks afterwards, the person wasnt buried in the pub).

Walked in and dance music (at a funeral gathering ???) was pounding at 11AM. We walked right out and into the bar which had a pool table. Only problem was there wasa german shepard alseep on it. Asked around for who owns to dog to get it moved as we wanted to play and the owner of the dog told us to f@ckoff. He's asleep so you can f@cking wait till he wakes up. All manner of scobies in the pub which was hopping come 6PM.

Couple of weeks later was watching an episode of Britains hardest pubs and up pops the heron - absolute kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Keyzer wrote: »
    Was in a pub in the Isle of Mann years ago called the Heron for a family members funeral (the drinks afterwards, the person wasnt buried in the pub).

Were they killed in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Billy86 wrote: »

They looked and sounded Eastern European, didn't sound like polish so guessing Lithuanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

the_monkey wrote: »
    I've never been, but I heard the Watermill (?) in Raheny was a right ****hole,
    some guy told me one night a barfight ended up in the pharmacy next door - as in crashing through the wall - I think there's a lane between the pharmacy and pub tho ... be a good trick ..
    Was the green dolphin before the watermill and they were both grand pubs:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Nothing to do with football rivalry I can assure you. Been in it a few times and my opinion of it should be shut longer the next time. To be straight if it was a pub like the Louden I would say the same. Horrible pubs full of in the main not very nice people. And I have dunk in pubs that make the brazen head look like a 4 star establishment

You want the Brazen Head shut because it's full of, in your opinion, not 'very nice people'. Carry on.

Been drinking there since the late 90's and for a pub based in one of the most working class areas of Glasgow I have rarely seen any fights break out or trouble of any sort.

The fact that hundreds of tourists from all over Ireland, UK, Europe etc. drink in and return to the Brazen on a regular basis should tell you that it's far from 'dodgy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Dorethy wrote: »
    Could have been any number of pubs around there haha! The Barn House, The Red Lion, The Lamplighter, or even The Stork itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Dorethy wrote: »

That was on Cork Street. If you were drinking there it meant you had more or less failed to meet the grade for any other dive mentioned here. It wasn't just a den of thieves, it was a den of squealers as well. Hence the violence.
    Cork Street still hasn't quite been gentrified, but with the Stork going, it got a little de-scumbagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

inforfun wrote: »
    Drive past it every now and then.
    Somehow never had the urge to stop and go for a pint.
    Whenever i take the route that brings me past this one, i have gone past 1 or 2 other lovely places. Tour du Sheet 'Ole

And what was said about the smoking ban being ignored, must be true because i don't think i have ever seen anyone standing outside having a smoke.

Or their clientèle are all non smokers. Could be.

they only stand outside to smoke heroin, you gotta have some rules

• Advertisement

Was the green dolphin before the watermill and they were both grand pubs:confused:

You're probably right, the guy who told me was a notorious spoofer.

A real Walter Mitty character - funny tho , I should start a thread about him someday.

Advertisement