Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    ^ Le Black Dog per chance?

Haha got it in one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Parrot in Druncondra... Nah that's OK

The worst...
    Penthouse Ballymun
    The Towers Ballymun.
    The Newtown House Darndale
    The Blacker Coolock (Liz Delaneys)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dorethy

KoolKid wrote: »

The worst...
    Penthouse Ballymun

Mother a God, is that for real? Someone has a class of wit about them if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I was taking a leak in a pub in prague and they guy in the next cubicle was using it as his "office" to sell drugs

Chapeaux Rouge? Great bar.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Nightclub in limerick in the 90s, "Cheers"...watched a woman fire a glass ashtray at another bunch of women...then all hell broke out.
    Another was "Legends" cream of limerick went there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The worst...
    Penthouse Ballymun
    The Towers Ballymun.
    The Newtown House Darndale
    The Blacker Coolock (Liz Delaneys)

Penter closed years and years ago, towers closed recently

towers was a total dive but usually wasn't that much trouble

Penter had a spells towards when it was fairly dodgey

If they're on your list of roughest pubs then you're not doing too bad

Blacker was rough alright.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Out of them all the Newtown House would be the worst. Or the Belcamp as it was known.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Out of them all the Newtown House would be the worst. Or the Belcamp as it was known.

Any examples of why ?

Just wondering cause I live not that far from there .

Any examples of why ?

Just some rough clientele. You really need to know who's who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the_monkey wrote: »
    I remember my Dad telling me about a Pub where the Turks head is (was - is the Turks head still there ?) in Temple Bar - called The Red Hackle...
    He said one night they went in there and there was a massive bar fight, people were chucking up pint glasses on to the ceiling so the crowd would be showered with broken glass.

All this going on, and people just drinking away like it was normal.

Sounds like mad craic altogether.

It was "the Parliament" for some years before becoming the turks head, that was a real dump!

Worst in Dublin would have to be Kennedys on Georges Quay beside tara street station. was there about 20 years ago and it was very rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Was in a pub in Sligo in 2011 and again last year. The name escapes me but it was up some side street not for off the Connaughton Road.
    The place was filthy and empty and after I ordered a Guinness the woman behind the bar advised me not to as it was 'Fuckin foul'. I did and it nearly made me puke there and then.
    She was very nice though and I had a bottle of beer whilst chatting to her for a while.
    A pub can sell rotten beer and be filthy to be dodgy imo

Ha ha. Would be certain it's 'Rendezvous'.

My middle class brother and I did a pub crawl of 'dodgy' pubs in Sligo one night but didn't make it there.

I'd be on for chancing it some day.

Does have a terrible rep in Sligo alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_monkey

I remember my Dad telling me about a Pub where the Turks head is (was - is the Turks head still there ?) in Temple Bar - called The Red Hackle...
    He said one night they went in there and there was a massive bar fight, people were chucking up pint glasses on to the ceiling so the crowd would be showered with broken glass.

All this going on, and people just drinking away like it was normal.

Sounds like mad craic altogether.[/I]

Quote:
    Foggy_Lad

It was "the Parliament" for some years before becoming the turks head, that was a real dump!

Worst in Dublin would have to be Kennedys on Georges Quay beside tara street station. was there about 20 years ago and it was very rough.

Quote:
    Achtung! Bono

Just to add to this:

Depends what years your Da is talking about, must be 70s, early 80s. The Parliament inn became Tommy Dunne's Tavern mid 80s for a good few years, which was a grand spot. A lot of blues/jazz/rock/folk bands played Upstairs.

Ground level bar was half filled with locals, and a lot of the punks, new romantics, Goths used to drink there Thursdays to Saturdays before heading to The Afro Spot (later renamed Faces, but everyone still called it The Afro) in Temple Bar down the lane beside The Palace Bar. We used to frequent Tommy's an awful lot and i even worked behind the bar for a year, never seen a hint of trouble.

The Red Hackle was also on Parliament Street, about 4 doors down from Tommy Dunne's, towards the river.. it burned down around 1983

Tommy Dunne owned both Pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The first place that came to mind was The George. I went there with a female friend and her gay best friend. It firmly demolishes all those stereotypes about gay men and style. The diviest of dive bars, and quite filthy, it smells vaguely of urine and magic markers (poppers, you see).

I did get chatted up by an elderly man in his 60s. None of the clientele were younger than 40, and the mood was hushed and tense. I suppose calling it dodgy is unfair, I thought it was more sad than dodgy, like a sorrowful relic of bygone days and gay men hiding in miserable little bars. There was nothing mischievous about it, unlike my next pub, Francis McKenna.

Francis McKenna is a dark, sinister-looking public house, adjacent to a scrap yard in Dublin 8. Somehow even the name seems more of a threat than a welcome.

Inside was bleak, and the customers were uneasy in the presence of my companion and I. A gaunt and deathly-pale old woman at the bar joked that we might be Guards.

A huddle of middle aged men stopped their conversation, and eyed us with knavish disapproval. Definitely had a provo air about the place. Would not return.

Mc Kenna's was grand
    think it's turned into a trendy cocktail type place now if I'm not mistaken?
    It has

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Any examples of why ?

Just some rough clientele. You really need to know who's who.
    Ive been there countless times and never had a spot of bother. Yes the locals are working class but 99.9% of them are sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

anyone remember the Horses Ass bar in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Yes the locals are working class but 99.9% of them are sound
    does this mean that for every 1000 customers, maybe only 1 would stab you.
    thats pretty safe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mine was not so much a dodgy pub, but one that could be pretty dangerous due to the possibility off uninvited guests arriving. When I lived up North, my local had been attacked by the UVF on several occasions. So you'd often be sitting in a seat that had bullets holes still in the wall around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bambi wrote: »
    Penter closed years and years ago, towers closed recently

towers was a total dive but usually wasn't that much trouble

Penter had a spells towards when it was fairly dodgey

If they're on your list of roughest pubs then you're not doing too bad

Blacker was rough alright.

The Blacker. It had an ambulance parked permanently outside at one point.

I was there a couple of times and never again.... Went into the nightclub at about 8pm and everyone was already out of it... Unconcealed drug deal going on everywhere and an aura of menace all around the place. Scummer central.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

lanos wrote: »
    THE WORKS NITECLUB in limerick...closed about 12 years now
    notable for the disgusting carpet...your shoes would actually stick to it as you walked.
    (imagine walking on treacle/honey)
    it was ran by a drug addict manager called Greg Noonan
    Ah come on the works wasn't dodgy at all compared to some of the other clubs in limerick or pubs tbh. As an ex bartender the works was our post work haven after 3am when all the spanner customers had been given the door and we could drink in peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Working in London in the early spring of 1966 . Some of my Saturday nights were spent in the 'Blind Beggar' on Whitechapel Road.

Drinking "light & bitter"with the ladies till the last bell and feeding the jukebox with sixpence pieces to hear Otis Redding's "My Girl" and the Walker Brothers, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore." [great times]

Later on in the week, a couple of guys having a beer, were shot dead in the bar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

sioda wrote: »
    Ah come on the works wasn't dodgy at all compared to some of the other clubs in limerick or pubs tbh. As an ex bartender the works was our post work haven after 3am when all the spanner customers had been given the door and we could drink in peace.

but am i right about the drug addict and the carpet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Wetherspoons The Bridege House in Belfast. Had to leave there quite swiftly after a few words from a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

jimbis wrote: »
    Wetherspoons The Bridege House in Belfast. Had to leave there quite swiftly after a few words from a local.

was in belfast years ago with a few mates visiting others who were in college there. The morning after the night before the tightest mate of ours dragged us all to the bridge house for the 99p breakfast. Was in at noon on a sunday morning and the place was heaving with dodgy characters who were still off the walls altogether, presumably from the night before. Of no particular persuasion that I can remember, just general scumbags/spides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

A pub called 'The Camelot' opposite buttercup park in Darndale in the early 80's, a hard crazy pub that was. Thinking of that mad pub now gives me the shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The only kind of dodgy pub I've ever been in is Finches in Neilstown. It's very dark and dingy but it's grand really.

I was in The Celt in Talbot Street once with an American boyfriend. It has live trad music and lots of tourists but some of the Republican stuff on the walls is a bit OTT tbh - more than you get in the usual token Irishy pubs (ETA flags etc). I really didn't feel comfortable, though not in terms of safety obviously since it was largely full of tourists really.

The Celt? A bar full of tourists and serves great food from Le Bon Crubeen next door is your definition of a rough pub?

I think you need to go out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

murpho999 wrote: »
    The Celt? A bar full of tourists and serves great food from Le Bon Crubeen next door is your definition of a rough pub?

I think you need to actually read the post. I didn't say it was rough. I said it's full of tourists and I said it's perfectly safe, so your pointing that out is completely pointless.

I said the dodgy choice of Republican paraphernalia made me uncomfortable, moreso than any actual dodgy pub.

I think you need to actually read the post. I didn't say it was rough. I said it's full of tourists and I said it's perfectly safe, so your pointing that out is completely pointless.

I said the dodgy choice of Republican paraphernalia made me uncomfortable, moreso than any actual dodgy pub.

I did read it but the thread is 'the dodgiest pub you have been to'. Hardly a suprise that a pub called "The Celt" in that locaton (Bombings 1974) has republican paraphernalia in the bar. I have been there many a time and I would not call it dodgy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I did read it but the thread is 'the dodgiest pub you have been to'. Hardly a suprise that a pub called "The Celt" in that locaton (Bombings 1974) has republican paraphernalia in the bar. I have been there many a time and I would not call it dodgy at all.

Yes and I said Finches was the dodgiest pub I've been to. It's my local. I then expanded on my experience of feeling uncomfortable in a pub, but for other reasons. I really don't get your confusion.

I think the Republican paraphernalia in The Celt is OTT, even by other similar places standards. That's my feelings though and quite obviously it doesn't bother most people as, as I already acknowledged, the tourists love it.

Yes and I said Finches was the dodgiest pub I've been to. It's my local. I then expanded on my experience of feeling uncomfortable in a pub, but for other reasons. I really don't get your confusion.

I think the Republican paraphernalia in The Celt is OTT, even by other similar places standards. That's my feelings though and quite obviously it doesn't bother most people as, as I already acknowledged, the tourists love it.

Fair enough, I think the majority of tourists have no idea what it's about to be honest, sure a lot think we're British anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

yeah, I heard a cod got battered in there once

Advertisement