Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Shantallow house Derry has to be up there, Camera's everywhere, Walked in one day to be met with ''who would you be son'' and ''Who's asking'' after I asked was ***** there...

Que, later that night playing pool and being introduced to some ''people'', Never got to meet the lad I went to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Been to a few ****holes around Amsterdam, in particular around the red light district, most of which were overpriced dumps populated by english tourists. Red Light bar in particular, one lad i know had a bad run in there while working as a rep bringing people on a pubcrawl.

He saw two lads fighting and tried to stand in and diffuse it as it looked bad in front of the customers, next thing he knew one of them hit him with a chair. Bouncers (who were pretty tough ***** as bouncers go) sorted it out without involving the cops because it turned out one of the guys was carrying a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

The Rivermount in Finglas, full of ner do wells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Jaysus that Rivermount must be quare rough..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

lanos wrote: »
    but am i right about the drug addict and the carpet ?

Yes but defo dodgier spots

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

not yet wrote: »
    Jaysus that Rivermount must be quare rough..

Or it is a chain.
    But all in 1 place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

A pub called 'The Camelot' opposite buttercup park in Darndale in the early 80's, a hard crazy pub that was. Thinking of that mad pub now gives me the shivers.
    First place I ever worked, 15 years of age working as a lounge boy...happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Never in it but walked by Noctors in Sherriff Street one Saturday night in late 1992 with a mate trying to score some hash. At the time it was basically a two story square building on the corner of what looked like a load of wasteland. All the windows were boarded up but there were people walking in and out of the front door so I reckoned it was still open. On the right wall of the building in red paint was "Drugs" with a arrow pointing to a load of lads standing at the corner. Dodgy as fcuk is an understatement. :D

We didn't get any hash but they took our money. :p

I found this daytime picture of it. Anyone ever in it? was it as dodgy as it looked.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrPU2E4CYAAAoK9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ducked into Finches for a slash a few weeks ago and it wasn't the worst. Hasn't really got anything on The Towers in Ballymun (gone now) or the worst one of all The Cabra House... Walked in there wearing a suit, was followed to the jacks and told that cops weren't welcome in there. I'm not a cop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Used to visit a Pub years ago in the mid-west at a time before cleanliness was next to Godliness.

The gaff was owned by an old biddy who used to rinse the dirty glasses in a bucket of water under the counter. Every now and then she would clear her throat mightily, and spit into said bucket. Amazingly, the Pub had no running water, even back in the '80s.

It was also the Land-lady's habit to 'skim' the cream top off pints of Guinness with her filthy, nicotine stained, snot encrusted fore-finger.
    None of the locals seemed to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

It was also the Land-lady's habit to 'skim' the cream top off pints of Guinness with her filthy, nicotine stained, snot encrusted fore-finger.

Hehe, the bum squirts were blamed on pad pints. Nothing got to do with the dirty finger. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    First place I ever worked, 15 years of age working as a lounge boy...happy days.

Is it the newtown house now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ducked into Finches for a slash a few weeks ago and it wasn't the worst. Hasn't really got anything on The Towers in Ballymun (gone now) or the worst one of all The Cabra House... Walked in there wearing a suit, was followed to the jacks and told that cops weren't welcome in there. I'm not a cop...

You would say that, wouldn't you, suitboy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I found this daytime picture of it. Anyone ever in it? was it as dodgy as it looked.

a proper kip,I posted about it a while back.I went in with a work mate who was from the area,I reckon thats the only reason I survived it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Went into an absolute hole of a bar in Chatham in Kent some yeas back... Dingy, grimy, cheap booze and cheaper punters kinda place. Al Murray's landlord would have been ashamed of this kip!

Was taking a piss and a woman walked into the bogs. She looked in her sixties. With a voice that would have made Deirdre Barlow sound youthful, she croaked "don't mind me love, I'm only in for the condom machine - they don't have the flavour I like in the ladies!"

Still makes me shudder....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Used to visit a Pub years ago in the mid-west at a time before cleanliness was next to Godliness.

The gaff was owned by an old biddy who used to rinse the dirty glasses in a bucket of water under the counter. Every now and then she would clear her throat mightily, and spit into said bucket. Amazingly, the Pub had no running water, even back in the '80s.

It may well have enhanced the flavour :)

No idea why this is repeating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Never in it but walked by Noctors in Sherriff Street one Saturday night in late 1992 with a mate trying to score some hash. At the time it was basically a two story square building on the corner of what looked like a load of wasteland. All the windows were boarded up but there were people walking in and out of the front door so I reckoned it was still open. On the right wall of the building in red paint was "Drugs" with a arrow pointing to a load of lads standing at the corner. Dodgy as fcuk is an understatement. :D

We didn't get any hash but they took our money. :p

yabadabado wrote: »
    a proper kip,I posted about it a while back.I went in with a work mate who was from the area,I reckon thats the only reason I survived it:D
    Go on outta that lads, ye have no soul :D

Noctor's was & still is a fine imbibing emporium :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Noctor's was & still is a fine imbibing emporium :cool:

I dunno if i agree with the term 'fine imbibing emporium' but yeah noctors is a grand spot.Its a locals local,and unless you are a local,or have local family connections you have no business drinking in it really.Same goes for the oasis(cabra house)
    Pubs like this dont depend on passing trade,so the red carpet treatment shouldnt be expected.I drink in the oasis fairly often and occasionally noctors and am always greeted with a friendly smile in both.Some of the suggestions on this thread are bordering on ridiculous.I mean the green dolphin in Raheny!The greyhound in blanch!Mother kellys takes the biscuit though,its probably dublins friendliest pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tom tit tot

Groody bar in Castletroy, back when it was open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

not yet wrote: »
    Shantallow house Derry has to be up there, Camera's everywhere, Walked in one day to be met with ''who would you be son'' and ''Who's asking'' after I asked was ***** there...

Que, later that night playing pool and being introduced to some ''people'', Never got to meet the lad I went to see.

It does do late night carry out though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

The Brewmaster Bray
    The Master Mariner beside Connolly Station.

Both many years ago and some dodgy clientele in both. Master Mariners clientele although dodgy were actually quite entertaining. The Brewmaster..

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Is it the newtown house now?

No it was the Camelot Hotel
    It was between where clare hall shopping centre and the settled travellers site is now
    There was a lane running alongside the site and the 'hotel' was there
    I was there one night and it was petrol bombed and another night the locals were firing crossbow bolts at teh bouncers
    Nice place
    It was where the apartments are in the left of the picture

https://www.google.ie/maps/@?hl=en&dg=dbrw&newdg=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Birneybau wrote: »

Here we go again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pauliroe

Really quite shocked McGettigans on Queen street was never mentioned on here, now that was some place to go, never a dull moment and anytime I was there always arguments turned fisticuffs.

• Advertisement

Is The Hill in Ranelagh a rough pub?

Some people told me it's a former I.R.A. pub and I myself remember that a few years ago, there was a marked Garda car always parked outside, but that might have been connected with a rough housing estate also closeby.

Advertisement