Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is The Hill in Ranelagh a rough pub?

Some people told me it's a former I.R.A. pub and I myself remember that a few years ago, there was a marked Garda car always parked outside, but that might have been connected with a rough housing estate also closeby.

Bit mad back in the day but a hip joint these days I believe.

I remember walking up to the front door and there was an aul fella smoking. He tells me to use the other door, rather than move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Back in the 80's my brother and I went to a pub in charleville, we ordered 2 pints and went to the jacks there was puke and sh1te all over the place and an almighty stink when we came out we noticed that the place was full of traveling people. We downed the pints fast and left I was last out the door and it must have had no spring when we were a few yards away all we heard was the traveling people in the pub roaring "shut the fcuking door" I said to my brother let them fcuk off they're too fat and too drunk to come after us but he decided to go back and close the door.

This one time I went into this Jewish restaurant with all these jews in it... oh wait, sorry, the bigotry rule only applies to travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

This one time I went into this Jewish restaurant with all these jews in it... oh wait, sorry, the bigotry rule only applies to travellers.

The pc brigade have arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Where do ner do wells sit in the PC scale?

• Advertisement

BBDBB wrote: »

That was me, said that last year and can never for the life of me remember being in that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What an interesting thread.

Reminds me of a rugby weekend in Newport in Wales more than 30 years ago. The first pub we went into was crowded , a long narrow place absolutely heaving. Up near the back there was a guy pulling down another fellows trousers, strange I thought, then he pulled down the underpants, stranger I thought. He then proceeded to push a beer bottle up the guys rear end.

Surprisingly, the weekend didn't turn out too bad!

elperello wrote: »

Reminds me of a rugby weekend in Newport in Wales more than 30 years ago. The first pub we went into was crowded , a long narrow place absolutely heaving. Up near the back there was a guy pulling down another fellows trousers, strange I thought, then he pulled down the underpants, stranger I thought. He then proceeded to push a beer bottle up the guys rear end.

Whatever you're into! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

BBDBB wrote: »

In between Afro caribbean and Roma, right next to the Cornflakes..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Them Welsh ruby guys are mad for the mickey, something to do with years of shagging sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Haven't checked the thread but I'm sure Finches in Neilstown was mentioned. I was trying to arrange a work-related meeting with someone and they suggested Finches as they were close by and from the area. Got a few strange looks from the locals but was happy to find the exit door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

LadyJ wrote: »
    Popped into some pub opposite Connelly Station a few months back just to kill 20 mins before I had to be somewhere and everyone in the place just stared me out of it the whole time. I took out an a4 pad and a pen just to write something down and people started pointing at me and whispering to each other.

Very scary.

They were undoubtedly Khmer Rouge. When they held sway in Cambodia anyone who could read or write was executed as an enemy of the people. Doctors let people die rather than show themselves to be literate by reading the labels on medicine bottles. Once the Dublin brigade of the K.R. copped you were literate you should have mitigated the damage by asking them to spell some three letter word. While they were discussing how to spell it you could have slipped out quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Oh Jew!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

He then proceeded to push a beer bottle up the guys rear end.

Was it empty?*

*the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The Rivermount in Finglas before they blew it up (I'm from Finglas).

Absolute kip...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 OptimusCreeby

Gotta say, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. You've kept me awake way past my bed time with tales of dodgy pubs from around the globe.

Despite growing up in Crumlin I haven't had too many dodgy Dublin pub experiences, touch wood.

I briefly lived beside the flats on Marrowbone Lane in Dublin 8 when I returned to Ireland last year and there were definitely a few local places I avoided. I didn't have TV or broadband internet while I was staying there and it was during the euros, so I managed to not look too conspicuous when I sauntered in to catch a few of the games.

Morrissey's on Cork street definitely had a couple of rough characters, but also a lot of very lovely and courteous people who were a pleasure to have a pint with. The Lark Inn also had a more than a few shifty characters, but I managed to get by talking about football.

Abroad..well I've a few favourites. The Bridge in Wan chai in Hong Kong (closed now), full of vice, open 24 hours, usually got fun at around 10am on a Sunday morning when all the American sailors would start scrapping with each other / the locals with the odd Thai / Filipino hooker getting involved. Great craic for a beer sodden Irish dude in his early 20s.

There's also a few fairly dodgy places in and around Old Trafford. I watched a guy get physically stripped and thrown out the front door for wearing a shirt with "Di Maria" (he'd just been sold) on the back on it, but tbh, it was pretty hilarious and he got his clothes back in the end. The local mancs are generally sound af, but I did have to manoeuvre my way out of an altercation when the can of Stella I opened (yes, one of those places) accidentally sprayed a minute amount of beer in the general direction of some scumbag's squeeze. I apologized and hammed up the merry Irish dude angle before being told "****ing do one" - which I was happy to well, do.

Other than that, nothing else springs to mind. Maybe because I tend to feel so comfortable in dive bars :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Clair4

The Three Barrells, Neasden, London.....The Black Lion ,Kilburn,.....Racey Byrnes ,Carlow Town

I worked in the 3 barrells years ago for a short while , it wasnt that dodgy when i was there ... As for charlies up the road that place was nuts .. Was there for a few late drinks one night it was closing time this one particular male bouncer lifted this woman from her seat & punched her straight in the face poor woman was only finishing her drink ... Never went in there again ..diceys & sals bar well i wouldnt say it was overlly dodgey more llike a zoo some craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Yes and I said Finches was the dodgiest pub I've been to. It's my local. I then expanded on my experience of feeling uncomfortable in a pub, but for other reasons. I really don't get your confusion.

I think the Republican paraphernalia in The Celt is OTT, even by other similar places standards. That's my feelings though and quite obviously it doesn't bother most people as, as I already acknowledged, the tourists love it.

I made signs for Finches years ago, we delivered them in the afternoon mid-week. Dodgy looking crowd in the bar playing pool. Barman wore a tie and was courteous. I remember the blacked-out windows and iron bars on the windows... probably changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Is The Hill in Ranelagh a rough pub?

Some people told me it's a former I.R.A. pub and I myself remember that a few years ago, there was a marked Garda car always parked outside, but that might have been connected with a rough housing estate also closeby.

It's been long gentrified if it was ever rough. All craft beer and €15 burgers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

Norberts limerick. There's about 20 photos behind the bar of young men, All dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

pedigree corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

A lot of people can't differentiate between a rough shop and a regulars shop. I can't really tell until I've drank there a few times and at different times of the day. The one place that sticks out in my mind was a pub called The Cartwheel in Crossmaglen. It was a good few years ago, after the GFA but the spyposts were still up and foot patrols where still having a creep around the backroads in the middle of the night so the pub might not be there anymore. There were two other customers in the bar, and elderly chap and a younger chap who I presumed to be his son. The chap with me legged it straight down the back to the jacks and I stood at the small bar and ordered drinks. The barmaid was very friendly, even to the point of being flirtatious, put our drinks on the counter with a smile and went through to the other side of the pub. My arse was still cold on the stool and my companion was still in the toilets when the elderly man approached me and said if I hung around for anymore than 5 seconds I'd be 'brought out the road and have the blade took to me'.
    At this point the son intervened and told the oulfella to cool his jets and tried to put me at ease by diplomatically suggesting nearby pubs that 'us boys' would love with music and girls but the message was still clear. In the meantime, the other fella walj

Reads like they caught up with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

pedigree corner

Which bus would you arrive on , Athy or Graiguecullen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Which bus would you arrive on , Athy or Graiguecullen

athy by way of kildare town. it was a mad house and dodgy out but loved it all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Years back myself and a mate where in Prague, we hooked up with these girls (I think they were locals, they were living there anyway) they brought us off on a train to this giant club about half an hour from the city centre in this fairly desolate looking industrial area, before we walked in the door one of them warns us, something along the lines of - "it will be bright at 6am the trains start again at 6.30, if we get separated in here under no circumstances leave in the dark, wait till it's bright and go straight to the train"

The whole night I just couldn't shake the feeling that outside was crawling with vampires!:D (in my defence, there may have been hallucinogens involved) Apart from that, we had a great night. Place was a bit of a kip, but it had beer, music and hot foreign women, plus there was no trouble that I noticed.

Stayed there till the sun came up though - you know, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

A travelling peoples pub on Charleville, we quickly downed our pints and out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,626 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Raceys isn’t that bad. It’s just a local pub for local people type of place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The Furry Bog, Whitechurch. What a complete shíthole. The place changed owners every couple of months it seemed. I don't know how many times that place was set ablaze. Fights were normal, stabbings weren't exactly shocking either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Stoney Burkes on Hill street in Dublin. Was there after a night on the gargle in some flat on said road . No trouble but some of the heads and even women drinking there were proper rough and I'm from a rough area myself . Was warned by a chap in his 50s to be careful as a few of the younger locals wouldn't be too happy with a gang of outsiders drinking with the local young ones .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Cant remember the name but I went to this dive in town. I was 18 and my friend was 17, it was early in the afternoon and we were meeting people there. We got there, delighted to get in because my friend was very young looking and at 17 didn't have ID.

The pub was empty except for a woman with a younger looking man sitting across from us and they were all over each other. They were a bit rough looking. Anyway she came over to me and showed me a mobile phone and asked me to ring her husband, tell him im Sarah from the salon and that she, whatever her name was, was in work with me. She was pushy so I said "alright." Spoke to the husband for about two seconds and he flipped out. He said "you're not Sarah, put me wife back on the ****in phone now" :/ that was awkward

Also went to this pub in England before. It was in the middle of nowhere and it didn't look great but we were starving and they did food so we stopped off thinking pub grub. It should be grand. I ordered a burger. When it came out, it was one of those frozen burgers and instead of a bun, they used the heel of a slice pan :pac:

Advertisement