Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Donaghmede Inn...aka The Dusty Bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah it's going since early 00's afaik. An old tipperary farmer type man owns it and runs it with his Thai wife and a Lithuanian family as staff. I think it was called The Parlour Bar when it first opened and yeah it's a B+B upstairs.

It has got better over the years but that's because most of the regulars know the Thai woman takes no messing and as it's the cheapest pub around they've learned to keep chair flinging to a minimum.

Yeah. It's a bit of a dive but if you want a quiet pint of a weekend in that area it's grand. Good jukebox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Rock bar Nicolas Street limerick say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

degsie wrote: »
    Sheaf of Wheat, Coolock. Aka Whif of ****.

The Black Sheep pub, I went there once in the 1980's. Dreadful.

Several pubs along Thomas Street are dodgy. I went in to several at the Michael McDonald Vicar Street gig earlier this year.

Belgard Inn in Cookstown back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I worked on a ship which dry docked in Belfast for repairs. After a number of nights on board I was finally persuaded by my Scouse mates to go for a drink with them.

We ended up in a local 'social' club called The Welders. I spent the whole night nursing a pint of lager and afraid to go to the jacks.

The night was wrapped up with a colour party of the UDA parading in with purple flags and belting out 'God Save the Queen'.

Needless to say I stood to attention and also belted out the words!

For the rest of the stay I volunteered to stay on board and do the fire watch.

Dubarrys not far from there was a rough shop when myself and a few mates visited in the early 80s ,standing at the bar waiting to buy a drink ,the man sitting next to me flashed a shoulder holster with pistol , we made our excuses and left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

The Marble Arch in Drimnagh is dog rough. And the Horseshoe in Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,382 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hinault wrote: »

Several pubs along Thomas Street are dodgy. I went in to several at the Michael McDonald Vicar Street gig earlier this year.

Going to an event Monday night in the Tivoli

What pubs should I avoid on Thomas St ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

PTH2009 wrote: »

Almost all of them beside Thomas House tbh. The rundown ones are "regulars only" type of places in my experience.

My experience of pubs on Thomas St (about 2years ago when I was going to a Vicar St gig) was locals who had been in all day and were tanked up. One had a few young lads in hoodies walk in who were quickly turfed out causing a bit of a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

did the four roads on sundrive avenue change hands?

It's recently got a paintjob and called floods bar now. No idea if anything inside has changed. Only stopped foot in one for a quick pint before a wedding across the road. Looks more welcoming from the outside at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Them all... !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just go to Thomas House

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pub right across from the Tivoli (apart from the awful name) Drop Dead Twice is grand as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The Cartwheel, Crossmaglen.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Ga ha Knew I'd see the Inn mentioned sooner or later, had a bad reputation back in the day but is actually grand now

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Ga ha Knew I'd see the Inn mentioned sooner or later, had a bad reputation back in the day but is actually grand now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

The Lion Bar in Kilcock. Think it might be gone now. Was a very rough spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Them all... !!

Arthurs pub is decent and is just up at the robert emmet statue.
    More tourist clientele

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Keegan's bar, Ballina, Co Mayo.

Two sips out of our pints and we abandoned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Bit before my time but blayneys on dolphins barn where Tesco and masseys is located, also the stork on cork street was a mad place,the canal bar,gone now, was full of local dealers and robbers while the brewery bar around the corner was full of provos
    Madigans in kilbarrick shopping centre was an eye opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

The flying bottle. Hollyhill in Cork.Some spot of a Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

As someone who regularly drinks in all the pubs along Thomas Street, and Meath Street, I always find it hilarious to see the looks on people's faces who step into one of the pubs for the first time..... they can't find their way out quick enough! Lol

Truth be told, you'd be fine, as a "stranger" you'd be very unlikely to get any hassle beyond a suspicious/curious glance...... having said that, you probably won't feel comfortable so it's up to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

A pub in Bolton, outside Manchester, that had one of those Golly dolls sitting on the bar. My friends and I thought it was outdated (but not much more than that). On closer inspection, it had a noose tied around its neck area.

In Belfast, on a Christmas works do, a colleague and I arranged to meet in some pub near her house. It turned out to be one of those seriously Loyalist places with those purple paramilitary flags decked out everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MadDog76 wrote: »
    As someone who regularly drinks in all the pubs along Thomas Street, and Meath Street, I always find it hilarious to see the looks on people's faces who step into one of the pubs for the first time..... they can't find their way out quick enough! Lol

Truth be told, you'd be fine, as a "stranger" you'd be very unlikely to get any hassle beyond a suspicious/curious glance...... having said that, you probably won't feel comfortable so it's up to yourself.

The odd time I go to gig in the tivoli, vicar street etc, I'd nip into one the local pubs for a quick one, never really had a problem but I grew up drinking in the penter so the odd hairy eye is water off a ducks back really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The lark inn on meath st before its got its new front with a massive window looked like a seriously dodgy spot, think its a kinahan haunt, was never in it myself though. The lamplighter down the road in coombe looks like a kip, but is really just populated by old alco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Forty Foot, Dun Laoghaire.
    Security staff everywhere, even patrolling the jacks.
    Eastern European guys, looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The Silver Dollar in Buncrana!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Dublin GAA HQ Bar, Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

MadDog76 wrote: »

A group of four of us went to Bakers in Thomas Street on a Saturday evening two years ago after doing the Guinness Storehouse tour (it's just down the street), after getting over the initial shock with the lack of hygiene and the local "characters" we ended up having a great evening there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is Noctors on Sherris Street a dodgy one?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

magentis wrote: »
    The flying bottle. Hollyhill in Cork.Some spot of a Sunday afternoon.

It's reputation was greatly exagerated due to where it was located. There's far rougher pubs in Cork.

Advertisement