Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ipso wrote: »
    Is Noctors on Sherris Street a dodgy one?

Well there’s absolutely no way i’m heading in there to check for you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well there’s absolutely no way i’m heading in there to check for you! ;)

Just walk in, order a West Coast Cooler, tell the bar keep you normally aren’t seen in this type of place but would he tell you if it’s dodgy.
    Report back here afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I walked into a loyalist bar in Glasgow one time by accident.
    Had ordered a pint before I realised where I was, anyway drank that pint and then had 2 more. Absolutely nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I walked into a loyalist bar in Glasgow one time by accident.
    Had ordered a pint before I realised where I was, anyway drank that pint and then had 2 more. Absolutely nothing happened.

Did you have to sing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

scopper wrote: »
    I can remember going into McGruders, Thomas St., early noughties, and after buying cans at the "bar" going into the main part and a hippie DJ was fighting some local scanger. Upstairs dance rooms were just partitioned by like rugs.

Didn't last too long like that if I recall. Also remember it was 20e flat rate in and then they let you do whatever. Bouncers didn't even come inside.

We used to eat lunch there a couple of times a week... Back when Thomas street had no other options

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Ipso wrote: »
    Is Noctors on Sherris Street a dodgy one?

Oh yes

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭JDigweed

The Railway Hotel, Cairns in Australia.....booze and Aboriginals are a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

In Munich years ago with 2 mates, asked taxi driver to bring us to the bar area or wherever would be like their temple bar, ended up on this kind of strip with a few bars/clubs on it, alarm bells going off as soon as we got out of taxi. Went into 1 bar and it was the quickest pint I've ever had, Turkish lads staring us out of it the whole time, bouncers were the biggest angriest bouncers you'd ever meet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Forty Foot, Dun Laoghaire.
    Security staff everywhere, even patrolling the jacks.
    Eastern European guys, looking for trouble.
    Really? I went there around 2006 and my recollection is that it seemed upmarket, not dodgy at all. Changed a lot since..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Really? I went there around 2006 and my recollection is that it seemed upmarket, not dodgy at all. Changed a lot since..?

I was in it about 2 months ago. Full of tourists, posh young guys and old grannies all joyfully eating dinner with s view of the piers.

I've no idea what that guy is talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I was in it about 2 months ago. Full of tourists, posh young guys and old grannies all joyfully eating dinner with s view of the piers.

I've no idea what that guy is talking about.

Isnt it a Wetherspoons now?

Furry Bog in Whitechurch.

Lovely spot.
    o.jpg

GreeBo wrote: »
    Isnt it a Wetherspoons now?

Furry Bog in Whitechurch.

Lovely spot.
    o.jpg

It might be. Im sure there is a big sign saying forty foot above it though. It even appears on Google maps as "the Forty foot"

Great spot for a sunday dinner

image.jpg

Most posts are about really dodgy pubs in the past but what's s really dodgy pubs today? I'm sure there's none left in town as most places are hipster bars and "gastro" bars.

Most posts are about really dodgy pubs in the past but what's s really dodgy pubs today? I'm sure there's none left in town as most places are hipster bars and "gastro" bars.

Nocters

Nocters

Seen it mentioned a few times here. I'm intrigued as to what a really dodgy pub is like. I'd probably never step foot in myself but I am very curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nocters

Good place for a Boards meet-up? Test the keyboard warrior v the genuinely nuts. :D

Seen it mentioned a few times here. I'm intrigued as to what a really dodgy pub is like. I'd probably never step foot in myself but I am very curious.

Neither have I tbh. I've just passed Nocters a few times on my bike and it doesn't look very appealing.

Good place for a Boards meet-up? Test the keyboard warrior v the genuinely nuts. :D

haha I don't think I'd last 2 minutes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Swallows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

hinault wrote: »
    Belgard Inn in Cookstown back in the day.

The Belgard was never a rough spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Neither have I tbh. I've just passed Nocters a few times on my bike and it doesn't look very appealing.

I can see Noctors out the window here though I wouldn't dare go in.

lots of lads hanging around outside with the hands down the trackie bottoms. I don't even walk up that way anymore (only in the mornings when most of them are still in bed under their Tupac duvets) a good chance one of them might decide I looked at him funny and bang bang...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

degsie wrote: »
    Sheaf of Wheat, Coolock. Aka Whif of ****.

Lol, was there in the late 90's, was going out with a girl from Coolock. Nearly every bloke had a moustache, a fringe and a check shirt. It would have easily passed as an 80's NY gay bar.

I can see Noctors out the window here though I wouldn't dare go in.

lots of lads hanging around outside with the hands down the trackie bottoms. I don't even walk up that way anymore (only in the mornings when most of them are still in bed under their Tupac duvets) a good chance one of them might decide I looked at him funny and bang bang...

Yep, I stopped cycling that way after I repeatedly had stones/food etc thrown at me by the local youths. It really is a dodgy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

What was the name of the pub that used to be on the corner of Wexford/Kevin street about 20 years ago? Can't think of the name, but it was a real kip back then iirc... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    What was the name of the pub that used to be on the corner of Wexford/Kevin street about 20 years ago? Can't think of the name, but it was a real kip back then iirc... :D

It's now the Karma Stone and yeah, I wouldn't be venturing in.

https://www.herald.ie/news/when-all-hell-broke-lose-in-karma-pub-27988521.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Doing my head in trying to remember what it was called in the 90s.
    I use to pass it every day going in to college from Harold's Cross.
    Something studenty or journalisticy?
    Was it called the corner bar after and before it was Karma Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭selephonic

josip wrote: »
    Doing my head in trying to remember what it was called in the 90s.
    I use to pass it every day going in to college from Harold's Cross.
    Something studenty or journalisticy?
    Was it called the corner bar after and before it was Karma Bar?

It was called Barney Murphy's at some stage in the late nineties.

There's a pub in Inchicore, across from Richmond Park that looks dodgy. It's right beside St Michaels estate which is a bit of a no-go area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

selephonic wrote: »
    It was called Barney Murphy's at some stage in the late nineties.

About 10 years ago it was The Corner Stone .The clientele was mostly students and the drink was brutal ,never seemed dodgy.

Advertisement