Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was it called the Junction in the early 90s?
    [Edit] yep, that was the name I was trying to remember.

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/082-junction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The West End it was a place on O'Currys street in Limerick, proper depressing pub with a few criminal's who were nutters. Only in there once and someone got glassed...It's long closed down now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There's a pub in Inchicore, across from Richmond Park that looks dodgy. It's right beside St Michaels estate which is a bit of a no-go area.

Tom taveys? Thats a hutch haunt afaik.
    Was in coffeys across the road from it before, was grand old man pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

retalivity wrote: »

Ye Coffeys is great. No, the one I'm talking about is called Timothy Crough's bar. A sports bar as far as I know. I've never been in it. I've just seen a dodgy looking lads outside when I go to Richmond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Somewhere in darkest Cambodia, where they were openly selling firearms, and girls.

I was amazed at how cheap guns can be bought, and how little a human being can cost.

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    Somewhere in darkest Cambodia, where they were openly selling firearms, and girls.

I was amazed at how cheap guns can be bought, and how little a human being can cost.

That's very sad. I remember seeing a documentary about Cambodia years ago and child brothels operating openly in poorer districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Clifford's coal quay,or hickeys tuckey status cork were interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Great spot for a sunday dinner

image.jpg

Here's a video from inside.

https://twitter.com/PhotosOfDublin/status/904809091016613888/video/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had to run in there one day to use the toilet, I was working in the area and was under huge pressure. Walking in there in a suit was not a good idea, I was told to hurry up when I asked if I could use the toilet.

I had to run in there one day to use the toilet, I was working in the area and was under huge pressure. Walking in there in a suit was not a good idea, I was told to hurry up when I asked if I could use the toilet.

:D:D:D hilarious.

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »

Can't say I'm surprised. I couldn't believe the first time I drove past it. It looks like a bunker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Can't say I'm surprised. I couldn't believe the first time I drove past it. It looks like a bunker!

The main problem with it is that the people in there would know each other and an outsider would be spotted almost immediately. I grew up beside this so would know some of them.

Funnily enough the lad riding that horse is a wannabe gangster.

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/dadoffour-with-69year-driving-ban-sentenced-to-prison-35176611.html

p to the e wrote: »
    The main problem with it is that the people in there would know each other and an outsider would be spotted almost immediately. I grew up beside this so would know some of them.

Funnily enough the lad riding that horse is a wannabe gangster.

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/dadoffour-with-69year-driving-ban-sentenced-to-prison-35176611.html

Bloody hell. I had never been in Cabra until I visited a friend I was in College with. He lived just around the corner and was eager for me to see the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth.  But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too.  Almost put me off booze if im honest.
    My Uncle used to own that place.

Anyone been in Jimmyz in Courtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's now the Karma Stone and yeah, I wouldn't be venturing in.

https://www.herald.ie/news/when-all-hell-broke-lose-in-karma-pub-27988521.html

These days, it seems more of a student bar now no? Haven't been in it in about 3 years when it was known to be a bit dodgy and for their Sunday sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's now the Karma Stone and yeah, I wouldn't be venturing in.

https://www.herald.ie/news/when-all-hell-broke-lose-in-karma-pub-27988521.html

DIT used to have student deals in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    My Uncle used to own that place.

Anyone been in Jimmyz in Courtown?

Jimmyz isn't rough it's just a bit of a dive.

What street was the chinaman on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Clifford's coal quay,or hickeys tuckey status cork were interesting

Bodega is on the coal Quay open years but on every visit I find it going up its own hole more and more. Used to to be great in the late 90s/early 00s. Had brilliant deep house djs, which hadn't caught on in Ireland yet. Never noticed /drank in Clifford's. I'm old enough to remember doing the Barrack St buzz, nowadays you could be nearly be able to do that crawl and legally be able to drive home :sad: The place now called Bru hostel used to be called 'The Grovesner Hotel' the bar of the hotel was a meeting ground of criminals from all over Ireland and the UK. To an outsiders eye there was nothing dodgy about it. But some of the biggest European drug deals in history had the plans drawn up in the little bar. It had net curtains and looked like an old woman's sitting room. Another shady spot I went to a few times was a place on nearby Coburg St, name escapes me now but it was more of a hangout for the main men involved in drugs in Cork . It wasn't the screaming monkey, but drugs where sold from the bar. I have lifelong connections to Cork and I was usually in the company of the right people when I went for a few scoops in the latter place. My thick Dublin accent would have led to a potentially messy situation otherwise I'd suspect. Once I'd been in a few times and my face was known, only then would I venture in alone. It was just as dodgy, but safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What street was the chinaman on?

The Chinaman was on Golden Lane. I think it's where the Radisson Hotel is now.

Was a favourite haunt of some Revenue personnel who "worked" in Dublin Castle way back when.

Here it is...

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/102-chinaman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

retalivity wrote: »

A Hutch haunt in Kinahan territory?

That bar that used to be in Bus Aras

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

The Royal Bar, Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

My brother saw a lad in there light his own hat on fire while he was still wearing it. He said he just mumbled laughing to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

My brother saw a lad in there light his own hat on fire while he was still wearing it. He said he just mumbled laughing to himself.

That would be deko, he was the frontman of the 'house band'. Went on to some success in Germany fronting a band called 'striknein'. Occasionally does the odd gig nowadays under the band's name the Chinaman era, Paranoid Visions, but nowadays feat.Eva Destruction and/or Steve Ignorant stamped on the bill. Know him fairly well, mad c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogfairy

Funky-Box nightclub in Liverpool, around the corner from O'Neills on Fleet Street: it was like going to a disco in a jail

On the same street, The One 4. Absolute kip run by gangsters apparently. Seen a full-on brawl there at lunchtime some random Saturday, 40 or so men and women kicking lumps out of each other. It was like a movie scene. People would emerge from the pub, neck what was left of their drink, pelt the empty glass into the mob, last drag of a cig, then get stuck in! Apparently it used to be a pool hall, know a lad who had a gun pulled on him in the jacks for his wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

chinaman was good for a game of pool and a cheap pint, deko was one of a kind alright! If he stagedived you better move! big unit was Deko!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

MadDog76 wrote: »
    A Hutch haunt in Kinahan territory?

Apparently so. Maybe not so much anymore with the recent escalation, but going back 4-5 years ago when i was living down her he was known to frequent it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Back in 2012, I found myself in a little Canadian town called Port Hope, which sounds a lot nicer than it actually is.

One night, we're sitting in a bar in town. It's a Friday night but still sort of early, around 7pm. We were two of only about 15 people in the building, but there was still a significant security presence nevertheless. The bar's security would patrol the premises very businesslike. There was no chit-chat between them as they passed one another. There was no leaning against a pillar, checking their phone out of boredom. These lads were basically trained by Canada's Secret Service, only instead of a high-ranking politician they were protecting Canadian hillbillies in trucker hats with sh*t teeth, and two fat Irishmen.

Despite the fact that the joint was virtually empty, the lads had clearly been drilled to be on high-alert at all times, which made us feel both safe and a bit concerned. On one hand, you have the peace of mind in knowing that you're secure, if in the unlikely event that a local tries to start sh*t with us or something, but on the other hand you can't help but wonder if the heavy security presence is because punters have been known to get murdered or beaten to a pulp out of nowhere, as if there's a perfectly good reason for their dilligence - and there was.

As it goes, a chapter of a well-known motorcycle gang called The Red Devils had recently opened up in a nearby town. This bar was their local more or less, so the security lads were putting their game faces on in anticipation of these hairy f*ckers and their old ladies arriving. We didn't hang around for that, but later that night I imagine there was a brawl of some description. I imagine pool cues were smashed off backs, I imagine the old ladies started fighting, and I imagine someone was probably thrown head first into a jukebox, which then ironically played Highway to Hell and united the bikers once more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Now that you mention it, I've been in a bar in Wollongong (steel town in Oz) where the guy beside me broke a pool cue across the back of another guy's head.
    It didn't have much effect. The fact that the guy had no neck probably helped, and he then proceeded to beat the other guy to a pulp.
    Still not as rough as the CBH in Sydney though.

Advertisement