Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

josip wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, I've been in a bar in Wollongong (steel town in Oz) where the guy beside me broke a pool cue across the back of another guy's head.
    It didn't have much effect. The fact that the guy had no neck probably helped, and he then proceeded to beat the other guy to a pulp.
    Still not as rough as the CBH in Sydney though.

Kevin Bloody Wilson had a song about that ... The featherbrained non title fight or something similar .. :p

edit found it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_46Woadeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The Lion Bar in Kilcock. Think it might be gone now. Was a very rough spot.
    You must be a delicate flower. It wasn't even the roughest pub in Kilcock.

Certainly not a patch on the Emerald in Bundoran which is well known as a pub where locals don't drink and contrary to the below has an excellent pint of Guinness.
    Was recently in the Emerald Bar in Bundoran....for a very quick pint that was as flat as a plate of piss. The stares from the locals and the barman necking a bottle of bulmers with one hand while pouring my pint with the other was enough to tell me to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

You must be a delicate flower. It wasn't even the roughest pub in Kilcock.

Certainly not a patch on the Emerald in Bundoran.

It was a dump. Full of old down and outs and young scumbags from highfield. Where's rougher?

It was a dump. Full of old down and outs and young scumbags from highfield. Where's rougher?
    Davey's was rougher and the people in Lyons' were convivial regular drinkers not down and outs.
    It was a great bar. Pity the family lost interest after the attack.

Davey's was rougher and the people in Lyons' were convivial regular drinkers not down and outs.
    It was a great bar. Pity the family lost interest after the attack.

Fair enough. Maybe I was a bit harsh on the owl lads. I was in there a few times and didn't like the atmosphere. You're right about Daveys

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Maybe I was a bit harsh on the owl lads. I was in there a few times and didn't like the atmosphere. You're right about Daveys
    Well to each his own. Kilcock has some nice pubs for such a small town and I hope you find one you like.

Well to each his own. Kilcock has some nice pubs for such a small town and I hope you find one you like.

I'm gone now but I always like Murphys and O'Keefes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Back in 2012, I found myself in a little Canadian town called Port Hope, which sounds a lot nicer than it actually is.

One night, we're sitting in a bar in town. It's a Friday night but still sort of early, around 7pm. We were two of only about 15 people in the building, but there was still a significant security presence nevertheless. The bar's security would patrol the premises very businesslike. There was no chit-chat between them as they passed one another. There was no leaning against a pillar, checking their phone out of boredom. These lads were basically trained by Canada's Secret Service, only instead of a high-ranking politician they were protecting Canadian hillbillies in trucker hats with sh*t teeth, and two fat Irishmen.

Despite the fact that the joint was virtually empty, the lads had clearly been drilled to be on high-alert at all times, which made us feel both safe and a bit concerned. On one hand, you have the peace of mind in knowing that you're secure, if in the unlikely event that a local tries to start sh*t with us or something, but on the other hand you can't help but wonder if the heavy security presence is because punters have been known to get murdered or beaten to a pulp out of nowhere, as if there's a perfectly good reason for their dilligence - and there was.

As it goes, a chapter of a well-known motorcycle gang called The Red Devils had recently opened up in a nearby town. This bar was their local more or less, so the security lads were putting their game faces on in anticipation of these hairy f*ckers and their old ladies arriving. We didn't hang around for that, but later that night I imagine there was a brawl of some description. I imagine pool cues were smashed off backs, I imagine the old ladies started fighting, and I imagine someone was probably thrown head first into a jukebox, which then ironically played Highway to Hell and united the bikers once more.

So you were in a bar in Canada where the bouncers looked serious but you
    didn't witness anything like a fight or row happening ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

The Swallows, Clondalkin in the late 80's, early 90's

Bo Jo's, Alice Springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Here's some dodgy pubs I've been to in Limerick

Norbert's, High Street: It's actually called a different name now. I went in there for a pint out of curiosity a few months ago and it was like stepping into a time warp back to the 80's. Dull brown decor and some local alcos. I passed there one Monday at 2pm in the afternoon and the place was utterly hopping.

Gerry Power's, William Street: Right across the road from Norbert's. Grubby place with some chronic alcoholics. One in particular, a small red faced guy practically lives in there. The barman regularly sends him on errands in exchange for free pints. I actually had a great craic in there one Sunday eve during karaoke with John and Monica. Some mad working class characters there.

Molyneux Bar, High Street: It's gone a good few years now but it was a bit of a dump back in the day.

Olympic Arms or "The Galvone" in Southill : It had a bad reputation but I actually liked it in there. I'd nearly always meet one of the old neighbours in there for a chat and a laugh.

The Dew Drop Inn, Roxboro Road: It's gone about 25 years now. It closed shortly after some gurrier glassed his girlfriend in there.

I'm in Dublin almost 12 years now and I've been to one or 2 dodgy spots. De Brúins in Balbriggan was probably the worst I've been in. There were 2 guys headbutting the face off each other one particular evening with the barwoman coming out trying to separate them. One of their buddies thought myself and my friend were 2 off duty Garda and he kept walking past us giving us looks all evening. There was also The William Gladstone in Skerries which isn't dodgy but every single person in the place went silent and gave me a funny look when I stepped in there one Sunday afternoon.

I've actually done a little pub crawl along Meath Street, approx this time last year. It was of a Tuesday eve and most pubs were actually quite busy. I finished off in The Lamplighter in The Coombe and the place was buzzing with a DJ. It must have been Mickey Tuesday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭badabing106

A road house bar in Hicksville in America called the "Double Deuce". Full of red neck scum. Bouncer was pretty cool though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Molyneux Bar, High Street: It's gone a good few years now but it was a bit of a dump back in the day.

:D
    Very much open, not a dump. Flan Costello has it and it's a busy spot. It was generally a well run pub save for a years when it became Detorris.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The Newtown Inn Maynooth, not that bad really as rough places go but tended to attract the lads barred out of other pubs in the town & the only pub I have ever been in that had a sign “customers found taking drugs on the premises will be asked to leave”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

The Hill Pub-Rathmines. Didn't consider it rough. Only when my company mentioned it looking slightly worried in the direction of a guy with a hammer in his hand...don't know to this day whether my friend was taking the piss or not..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Very much open, not a dump. Flan Costello has it and it's a busy spot. It was generally a well run pub save for a years when it became Detorris.

Is it back open again?? Ah...Dettoris, that's what it was called after it was Molyneux's :)

Is it back open again?? Ah...Dettoris, that's what it was called after it was Molyneux's :)

It was Dowlings after Molyneaux's and in fairness was a good house given its location.
    Powers is fine as well, just a working class/country pub. Great pints of stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

tara73 wrote: »
    The Hill Pub-Rathmines. Didn't consider it rough. Only when my company mentioned it looking slightly worried in the direction of a guy with a hammer in his hand...don't know to this day whether my friend was taking the piss or not..:D

How long ago was this?

It was our local from 2000-2005 and it was already being gentrified then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Often drank in The Hill around 04/05 and it wasn't rough/dodgy. Going back 40+ years it may have been a different story heard it had its share of rough locals in it,don't think it was called The Hill back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

That one just as your going from Ringsend to Sandymount. I've not lived in Dublin in years. It was The something began with s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭passatman86

Went to scotland for a celtic match - it was away in Kilmarnock.. we stoped at a pub 2 mins away from the stadium.. we walk in the boozer and there is clouds of smoke - with lads on what look like sitting room couches passing joints around taping the ash on large stainless steel plates.. dont think posh think trousers tucked into socks and Burberry hats..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Went to scotland for a celtic match - it was away in Kilmarnock.. we stoped at a pub 2 mins away from the stadium.. we walk in the boozer and there is clouds of smoke - with lads on what look like sitting room couches passing joints around taping the ash on large stainless steel plates.. dont think posh think trousers tucked into socks and Burberry hats..

There's a few pubs up by Drumcondra/Dorset Street similar on All Ireland Final Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

How long ago was this?

It was our local from 2000-2005 and it was already being gentrified then.

my story is about ten years ago. I think my friend remembered the reputation from years ago, saw the man with the hammer and wanted me to frighten a bit. But maybe he was more frieghtened than me... :D

but thanks for clearing after ten years that my gut feeling was right it wasn't a rough pub anymore...:D

A road house bar in Hicksville in America called the "Double Deuce". Full of red neck scum. Bouncer was pretty cool though

I know it. Dalton was the bouncer, he really cleaned the place up. He died sadly after moving a few years ago. He turned rogue in later life and became a convict surfer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Drank in a pub is Edinburgh about ten years ago just off the royal mile , it was belonged to some scotish artillery regiment and was an early house.

worst pint of porter ive ever seen and the bar man was still bleeding from the wounds the night before,

a table full of long dusty bearded lads in half cammo sitting in the corner staring at us. it it wasnt 8 o clock in the mooring we would have left . couldnt tell you the name of it ,

Once many many years ago following a long night working the door at a event and after a few pints at that establishment myself and another fella went looking for a drink in a early house in Waterford city , when we arrived the door was swinging open so in we went ,place was in bits every chair broke even table on its side. no sign of life anywhere , i nipped into the jacks and found it trashed too and an inch of blood on the floor. knew the boss so made a phone call turns out that a well known family of travellers had had a 21 st there the night before and when the row kicked off it kept rolling until every one including the bar staff had fled , the boss said he would be along in a few hours and would be obliged if we kept an eye on it, so we sat down and go drunk amoung the carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Congo Bar in Dundalk years ago was rough enough. Saw a good many rows there. It closed after a few customers decided to rob the owner. They tied him to a chair upstairs and battered him to death.
    New name and new owners now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Now that you mention it, I've been in a bar in Wollongong (steel town in Oz) where the guy beside me broke a pool cue across the back of another guy's head.
    It didn't have much effect. The fact that the guy had no neck probably helped, and he then proceeded to beat the other guy to a pulp.
    Still not as rough as the CBH in Sydney though.
    A bit harsh man I spent 3 years working at the CBH. There's plenty worse in Sydney believe me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

A bit harsh man I spent 3 years working at the CBH. There's plenty worse in Sydney believe me:D

I don't doubt that there was but I was privileged to have had a ringside seat at a brawl that kicked off after the Scotland England rugby match in 1998.
    It made the SMH and even the nerds in work the following Monday knew about it.

A group of us were there supporting the Scots.
    One of the lads kept bursting into song after the match.
    The bouncers had warned him that the next time he did it, he was out.
    Sure enough 10 minutes later he forgot himself and was promptly grabbed be 2 bouncers.
    He knew the score, didn't resist and said he'd walk, so they let him walk out.

But the bouncer on the door gave him a helping hand out much to the chagrain of another mate following him out.
    He put is hand on the bouncer's arm and he says that was his 'Oh ****' moment.
    The bouncers in the CBH were mainly Maoris back in the 90s and he said that it felt like a leg rather than an arm.
    He was somewhat more forcefully ejected.

I was following reluctantly on.
    After a barren spell I was finally getting some chat when I saw my friends being kicked out.
    When I was about 5 metres from the door, I was passing a table stacked with dirty glasses when a chair came though the air and landed on it.
    All hell broke out behind me, the bouncers at the door swarmed past me.
    My friends were just outside and we decided to move across the street where we were met by a wave of blue heelers.
    They must have been parked up nearby waiting for things to kick off.
    Over the next 15 minutes it ebbed and flowed. One guy sucker punched a cop and was chased and run to ground up the street.
    We counted at least 15 getting put in Paddy Wagons.
    When the dust had settled and we were talking to one of the Scots, he said, 'When we saw your friend being kicked oot, we though that was the time to throw the chair at the English."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

GoneHome wrote: »
    There's a few pubs up by Drumcondra/Dorset Street similar on All Ireland Final Day

Which ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Pub in Stourbridge in the West Midlands called the Fox Inn. Absolute dive bar. The group drinking their lager had about 5 teeth between them.

Advertisement