Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

The Lantern or whatever its called now in Ballybane, Galway City, Westside Tavern aswell but think its closed now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

josip wrote: »
    Doing my head in trying to remember what it was called in the 90s.
    I use to pass it every day going in to college from Harold's Cross.
    Something studenty or journalisticy?
    Was it called the corner bar after and before it was Karma Bar?

The Junction

Sometimes unemployed people have been spotted in pubs in Malahide....Scary, let me tell you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Sometimes unemployed people have been spotted in pubs in Malahide....Scary, let me tell you...

Hopefully they didn't have to enjoy their pints anywhere near a miserable b*stard like you

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Hopefully they didn't have to enjoy their pints anywhere near a miserable b*stard like you

In fairness they would be grateful that my taxes were paying for their pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Pkiernan wrote: »
    In fairness they would be grateful that my taxes were paying for their pints.

Did you have a few troll snacks with your pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

cruais wrote: »
    Did you have a few troll snacks with your pint?

There’s a fair few bad scruffs hanging around the pubs in Malahide during the summer. Attracts all kind of dirt birds with the beach close by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

My mates girlfriend's dad used to DJ in Noctors on Sheriff St.

Good craic in fairness, kids used to show their shoplifting wares. Got offered a large ham fillet for a fiver, which was nice.

Tra la la, la la, triangle, followed by Venga Boys :D

There’s a fair few bad scruffs hanging around the pubs in Malahide during the summer. Attracts all kind of dirt birds with the beach close by

Yep. That's the downside to the DART.

Luckily though most can't read and end up in Howth!

The Dew Drop Inn, Roxboro Road: It's gone about 25 years now. It closed shortly after some gurrier glassed his girlfriend in there.

Some other head case ripped an off-duty soldier's thigh open with a stanly knife. There was a group of them in there and he approached them asking for money (soldiers FFS!) when they told him get lost.

Another guy was followed into the toilets by some guys he'd never seen before in his life. In a random attack they held him down and forcibly gave him a "prison style" ink tattoo on his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The Black Forge in Crumlin. Some fighter guy decked me mate in there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

The Lamplighter, Coome or The Barn House, Dolphins Barn.

“No Track Suits after 7pm”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

The Black Forge in Crumlin. Some fighter guy decked me mate in there

Rough pub all right. In Drimnagh, not Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Geography is important in these matters :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

sightband wrote: »
    The Lamplighter, Coome or The Barn House, Dolphins Barn.

“No Track Suits after 7pm”

A girl i was seeing use to live around the corner from the lamplighter and i use to have to pass it everytime going to her house. Looked like something out of the 1980's and i never had the bottle to go in for a pint.

ricero wrote: »
    A girl i was seeing use to live around the corner from the lamplighter and i use to have to pass it everytime going to her house. Looked like something out of the 1980's and i never had the bottle to go in for a pint.

The Barn House is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

The Yellow House I believe if memory of my few trips to the RSC serves me right

Closed a few years now thankfully and up for sale.

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/the-yellow-house-cork-road-waterford-city-waterford/4209824

€200,000 for that dump. Buyers must be lining up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Greentopia wrote: »

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/the-yellow-house-cork-road-waterford-city-waterford/4209824

What a complete kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Greentopia wrote: »

No pictures of the toilets on the ad I wonder why.......... God it was rough in every sense, my enduring memory of the place is the big barman/owner serving drink as he drank a pint bottle of Bulmers by the neck and that was in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Volunteer Arms in Leith, Edinburgh.
    Finches in Neilstown was pretty lively the only time I was in there.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The 79 in Ballyer is up near the top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GoneHome wrote: »
    No pictures of the toilets on the ad I wonder why.......... God it was rough in every sense, my enduring memory of the place is the big barman/owner serving drink as he drank a pint bottle of Bulmers by the neck and that was in 2014

The bedroom photos look like prison cells as it is, not sure they need anything more depressing.

Ad is extremely coy about whether it still has a licence. Which usually means its either expired (expensive to reactive) or gone (good luck, 90k after costs to buy one and reinstating one after a transfer is next to impossible)
    retalivity wrote: »
    Tom taveys? Thats a hutch haunt afaik.
    Was in coffeys across the road from it before, was grand old man pub

Years ago when Pats were playing Legia Warsaw (in Tallaght) I went out with a mate expecting to watch it on TV in McDowells, but it had just closed down then (think its open again now).

Ended up watching it in Taveys with two Legia fans who thought a: there were tickets on the gate (it was sold out) and b: it was in Inchicore. No trouble at all. May be dodgy but you don't usually end up drinking with lads speaking Polish in a normal dodgy Dublin pub and have you all get out alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Peatys wrote: »
    My mates girlfriend's dad used to DJ in Noctors on Sheriff St.

Good craic in fairness, kids used to show their shoplifting wares. Got offered a large ham fillet for a fiver, which was nice.

Tra la la, la la, triangle, followed by Venga Boys :D

Had a great night in Noctors many years ago with a Yank from Derry and a Langer. Wild, wild place.

Must be one of the only pubs in Dublin that gets NO passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I know to blokes who exchanged punches over whether or not that pub is in Drimnagh or Walkinstown .
    One then reckoned the only pub in Drimnagh is the Marble Arch.

They were brothers and cousins of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Dublin GAA HQ Bar, Parnell Street.

Closed, renamed, closed, renamed and closed again since it was that. Apparently the last incarnation (Luggage Room) was grand, but nearly any pub that has had a murder in it ends up dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Saints and Sinners

King Street North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The sunset house is a piss bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The sunset house is a piss bowl

Isn’t it gone now? It was the last couple of times I passed.

I know to blokes who exchanged punches over whether or not that pub is in Drimnagh or Walkinstown .
    One then reckoned the only pub in Drimnagh is the Marble Arch.

They were brothers and cousins of mine.

I'm pretty sure it's on the Drimnagh Road, although I'm not certain where the Long Mile Road starts, which would make it Walkinstown I suppose. Did Walkinstown or Drimnagh win the fight?

Btw, I live near the Marble Arch. A very rough crowd in there. Wouldn't go in if I was a stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

The Widow Scallans....went there with friends in the early 90s ....not from Dublin and well we had a few drinks and left. Very strange place.

Advertisement