Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Neames wrote: »
    The Widow Scallans....went there with friends in the early 90s ....not from Dublin and well we had a few drinks and left. Very strange place.

Is that the place a RA man was shot back in the 90s/00s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

GoneHome wrote: »

Yep, big RA pub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm pretty sure it's on the Drimnagh Road, although I'm not certain where the Long Mile Road starts, which would make it Walkinstown I suppose. Did Walkinstown or Drimnagh win the fight?

Btw, I live near the Marble Arch. A very rough crowd in there. Wouldn't go in if I was a stranger.

Drimnagh , am I right in thinking every road in Drimnagh is named after a mountain in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The Black Sheep Pub in Coolock in the 1980's.
    The Sheaf of Wheat too.

Thomas Street has it's fair share of rough spots. The Clock, Liberty Bell.

Drimnagh , am I right in thinking every road in Drimnagh is named after a mountain in Ireland ?

Yep. Most of the roads in Dublin 12/8 are named after cultural/religious/ figures/locations. The road I live on is called Benmadigan, which is a mountain in Belfast. Then there's Benbulbin, Mourne, Keeper etc. Most of the roads in Crumlin are named after Monasteries - Armagh, Clonmacnoise, Bangor etc. And in Inchicore mainly Irish patriots like Bulfin, Emmet etc. My Dad is from Walkinstown and grew in the part known as the musical Roads. His was John McCormack. The names of the roads are one of the things i like about this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Yep. Most of the roads in Dublin 12/8 are named after cultural/religious/ figures/locations. The road I live on is called Benmadigan, which is a mountain in Belfast. Then there's Benbulbin, Mourne, Keeper etc. Most of the roads in Crumlin are named after Monasteries - Armagh, Clonmacnoise, Bangor etc. And in Inchicore mainly Irish patriots like Bulfin, Emmet etc. My Dad is from Walkinstown and grew in the part known as the musical Roads. His was John McCormack. The names of the roads are one of the things i like about this area.

Interesting read. Never noticed even though I'm just up the road in kimmage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Neames wrote: »
    The Widow Scallans....went there with friends in the early 90s ....not from Dublin and well we had a few drinks and left. Very strange place.

The Pearse Tavern across the road wasnt much better.
    They are both gone now though i think?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Interesting read. Never noticed even though I'm just up the road in kimmage.

Yep, definitely one of the interesting things about the area. It's very enjoyable cycling around Drimnagh/Inchicore/ Crumlin and finding out where the roads' names come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The drake finglas, mad place altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's now the Karma Stone and yeah, I wouldn't be venturing in.

https://www.herald.ie/news/when-all-hell-broke-lose-in-karma-pub-27988521.html
    josip wrote: »
    Doing my head in trying to remember what it was called in the 90s.
    I use to pass it every day going in to college from Harold's Cross.
    Something studenty or journalisticy?
    Was it called the corner bar after and before it was Karma Bar?

Was called The Corner Stone before Karma Stone. Not remotely dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Baron Johns in the Crumlin Shopping Centre in Dublin was always lively :pac:

Long gone now. Used to be above where the KFC type place is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

josip wrote: »
    Still not as rough as the CBH in Sydney though.

Where's the CBH?

Edit: Coogee?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

When we were in college one of our friends wanted to go to Temple Theatre one night. The old church near Temple Street Hospital. We got there too earlier so went into local pub beside it. No idea what it was called but whole pub turned to look at us. I was bricking it the whole time. The Temple wasn't much better. Needless to say we never went near the place again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Baron Johns in the Crumlin Shopping Centre in Dublin was always lively :pac:

Long gone now. Used to be above where the KFC type place is now.

Texas Fried Chicken ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

The sunset house is a piss bowl

Poor example, the sunset house was in recent times pretty much a voyeuristic dodgy dump for every passer by on their way to Croke Park, particularly the bog monkeys up for a day out. Then some lad got shot cos he happened to be there. Up until then it was a fine shíte establishment...as in a fine f*cking kip, but not dodgy, just a dump, similar to any temple bar **** heap oirish genuine experience which it is now as the brendan behan, a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Yep, big RA pub

INLA, it's important to get your criminals right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

GoneHome wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0521/618570-loyalist-attack-on-widow-scallans-pub-in-dublin-1994/

My Dad was part of the first ambulance crew that arrived after the shooting and worked on the guy who later died. The bag with the bomb was lying beside them whilst they worked, it was only later that someone checked the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

xzanti wrote: »
    The Peacock on Cathal Brugha Street, it's gone now afaik.. That was some dive. :eek:

Absolutely loved the peacock, DJ on the weekends, would serve us when we were 14 lol

The odd gun was seen getting passed off in there too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Texas Fried Chicken ;)

Actually used to be a KFC in the 80s before even they wouldn't go near it.
    :pac:

I think it was a Pat Graces Famous Fried Chicken at some stage too.

sightband wrote: »
    Poor example, the sunset house was in recent times pretty much a voyeuristic dodgy dump for every passer by on their way to Croke Park, particularly the bog monkeys up for a day out. Then some lad got shot cos he happened to be there. Up until then it was a fine shíte establishment...as in a fine f*cking kip, but not dodgy, just a dump, similar to any temple bar **** heap oirish genuine experience which it is now as the brendan behan, a dump.

Some lad didn't get shot just cause he happened to be there.

Some lad got shot for a reason, none of us will never know the full story but it wasn't a random hit. He was the specific target.

• Advertisement

The dean swift and the liberty bell up on Francis Street dublin 8, the peacock that was on the corner of Sean mc dermot and Marlborough Street under the carpark, the blue lion parnell street, the Capel Inn off Capel Street (cameo bar / claddagh ring)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

I would say he is still trowing shoes, he doesn't change much with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭FREDNISMO

the blue oyster salad bar

I would say he is still trowing shoes, he doesn't change much with the times.

The Old Chinaman, was behind dublin Castle.

Never smelt so much hash in one place at one time lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

italodisco wrote: »
    The Old Chinaman, was behind dublin Castle.

Never smelt so much hash in one place at one time lol

Went in one night, people thought me and my buddy were cops, uncomfortable but it wasnt that rough a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Isn’t it gone now? It was the last couple of times I passed.

Briefly.

Its back now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

hinault wrote: »
    The Black Sheep Pub in Coolock in the 1980's.
    The Sheaf of Wheat too.

Thomas Street has it's fair share of rough spots. The Clock, Liberty Bell.

Or the whiff of sh1t as its affectionately known by the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Lark Inn on Meath Street, not too bad and it's been done up recently. Was in there a few years back and some Eirigi gowls came in and started putting lapel badges on people and then demanding "donaions".

The Liberty Bell on Francis st is a good spot for a sing song, frequented by many "wards of the state" from nearby doss houses and sheltered housing. They've tried to attract in tourists with pull your own pint, I'd say they turn around pretty quick!

Bakers on Thomas Street keeps some questionable opening hours.

The Hill Top on Thomas Street was fairly rough but I think its called something else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

INLA, it's important to get your criminals right.

I think the Provos where holding a function on the night Martin Doherty was killed there. Billy Wright if the UVF was suspected of doing the deed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I think the Provos where holding a function on the night Martin Doherty was killed there. Billy Wright if the UVF was suspected of doing the deed.

You are correct, my mistake.

Advertisement