Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Peatys wrote: »
    My mates girlfriend's dad used to DJ in Noctors on Sheriff St.

Good craic in fairness, kids used to show their shoplifting wares. Got offered a large ham fillet for a fiver, which was nice.

Tra la la, la la, triangle, followed by Venga Boys :D

There were few pubs like that where I lived in the Old Swan/Wavertree area of Liverpool. Some of the pubs used have an 'exotic dancer' on a Friday evening or Sunday lunch time and the local shoplifters would come in and sell their wares at the same time, once bought the ingredients for a full breakfast, 2 packs of batteries and 10 Regal Kings from the comfort of my bar stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

useeme wrote: »
    The Swallows, Clondalkin in the late 80's, early 90's

Bo Jo's, Alice Springs.

Place was only built in the early-mid nineties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The towers in Ballymun was a right kip in its day

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

The Auld Triangle in Dorset Street, nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

The towers in Ballymun was a right kip in its day

I remember back in 09/10 my Dad and I were heading in to Croke Park for a match (Can't remember who was playing) but we had some time to kill and Kerry were playing Cork in the Munster final so we decided to go to a pub to watch it. Somehow we ended up in Ballymun. Now my Dad (now retired) was a teacher in the all irish school in Ballymun for years and knew all about The Towers and its reputation. But we decided to go in anyway. I have to say I was pretty shocked when we walked in. The place was very roomy, very clean and there seemed to be a good atmosphere. Definitely not what I had pictured. The strange thing was, though, that they had about 6 televisions but not one showing the GAA. All sorts of things like horse racing and (believe it or not) the women's world cup, but no GAA. My dad said it was a sign that the place was a dump and we left.

The Four Roads in Sundrive looks rough. Have never been in it, though. the Horseshoe is pretty dodgy and there was a pretty dodgy one in Crumlin village called the Hub but it's closed down now. Anyone know the name of the pub in Rialto across from Centra?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The drake finglas, mad place altogether.

A family member of mine was a barman in there for years , lively enough at night.I drank in it occasionally , never noticed any trouble at all .
    The Shamrock up the road was like something out of Deliverance . Cracking pint , every spacer in Finglas got served , rarely any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The Four Roads in Sundrive looks rough. Have never been in it, though. the Horseshoe is pretty dodgy and there was a pretty dodgy one in Crumlin village called the Hub but it's closed down now. Anyone know the name of the pub in Rialto across from Centra?

The four roads recently changed names and got a new paint job. No idea what changes were done inside if any but it's a more welcoming place from the outside at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

Being a native of Dublin 15 I have to nominate the old Blanchardstown House (or B-House as it was affectionately known). It is a lovely pub now (The Black Wolf) but back in the late 80s/early 90s it was an absolute kip. Plenty of well known undesirables from the area at that time used to drink there but that wasn't the worst about it. There was an alcoholic pensioner with a colostomy bag that used to empty it into the urinal whenever he felt the need. Not a nice sight (or smell) if you were having a piddle at the same time. Got served in there at 16 also with no ID. Legendary shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

appledrop wrote: »
    When we were in college one of our friends wanted to go to Temple Theatre one night. The old church near Temple Street Hospital. We got there too earlier so went into local pub beside it. No idea what it was called but whole pub turned to look at us. I was bricking it the whole time. The Temple wasn't much better. Needless to say we never went near the place again.

I used to have a pint in there every Thursday after work , the one Thursday I didn't have a pint a bloke was shot in it.
    I never went back.

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Being a native of Dublin 15 I have to nominate the old Blanchardstown House (or B-House as it was affectionately known). It is a lovely pub now (The Black Wolf) but back in the late 80s/early 90s it was an absolute kip. Plenty of well known undesirables from the area at that time used to drink there but that wasn't the worst about it. There was an alcoholic pensioner with a colostomy bag that used to empty it into the urinal whenever he felt the need. Not a nice sight (or smell) if you were having a piddle at the same time. Got served in there at 16 also with no ID. Legendary shop.

Isn't there a dodgy pub in Corduff?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The four roads recently changed names and got a new paint job. No idea what changes were done inside if any but it's a more welcoming place from the outside at least.
    Really? I'll have to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

That's very sad. I remember seeing a documentary about Cambodia years ago and child brothels operating openly in poorer districts.

I walked out of a bar in Phnom Penh called The Walkabout, it wasn't rough but it was so sleazy, full of middle aged Westerners bragging about what they had done to the girls and what they were gonna do to, while the girls were there listening..kuntz..

The Bailey in Derby..inbred nut jobs.

Most Belfast bars make me nervous.

The Shakespeare on Parnell Street Dublin.

Finches,Neilstown, one quick drink..

Green Mango Koh Samuii, generally fine until the night the locals high on Yabba and drinking Thai rum turned on the tourists, myself included..I got bottled on the back of the cheann..ruined my hols..

Steering Wheel, Limerick..once was enough.

Early bar on St Johns Street Limerick, good God, (I was sober) driving lads around..Cant rem the name..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

4Ad wrote: »
    I walked out of a bar in Phnom Penh called The Walkabout, it wasn't rough but it was so sleazy, full of middle aged Westerners bragging about what they had done to the girls and what they were gonna do to, while the girls were there listening..kuntz..

The Bailey in Derby..inbred nut jobs.

Most Belfast bars make me nervous.

The Shakespeare on Parnell Street Dublin.

Finches,Neilstown, one quick drink..

Green Mango Koh Samuii, generally fine until the night the locals high on Yabba and drinking Thai rum turned on the tourists, myself included..I got bottled on the back of the cheann..ruined my hols..

Steering Wheel, Limerick..once was enough.

Early bar on St Johns Street Limerick, good God, (I was sober) driving lads around..Cant rem the name..

Jaysus, I’ve never once thought of the Thai people as being any way vicious

Jaysus, I’ve never once thought of the Thai people as being any way vicious

They were wired...
    And I was unlucky, wrong place wrong time..
    The Thais can be quite dangerous, saw an American man come into a bar in Chang Mai with his hand sliced open...he was drunk and an asshole.
    Turns out he refused to pay the Tuk Tuk driver as he thought he was being ripped off...prob was, but thats whats hapens there, tourist prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I remember back in 09/10 my Dad and I were heading in to Croke Park for a match (Can't remember who was playing) but we had some time to kill and Kerry were playing Cork in the Munster final so we decided to go to a pub to watch it. Somehow we ended up in Ballymun. Now my Dad (now retired) was a teacher in the all irish school in Ballymun for years and knew all about The Towers and its reputation. But we decided to go in anyway. I have to say I was pretty shocked when we walked in. The place was very roomy, very clean and there seemed to be a good atmosphere. Definitely not what I had pictured. The strange thing was, though, that they had about 6 televisions but not one showing the GAA. All sorts of things like horse racing and (believe it or not) the women's world cup, but no GAA. My dad said it was a sign that the place was a dump and we left.

Didn't that dump have bulk tanks for Guinness, instead of kegs ?

44leto wrote: »
    Some pub in Illford I wondered in and ordered a drink and looked around and all I could see were some underworld looking clientèle and a reflection in the mirror of a paddy on his own. I turned my back for a sec and the guy next to me took my just pulled pint, I said "thats my pint" and he said no its not, "its mine now" I swallowed my pride and left with my life.

Believe or not, although that was the wisest thing to do, I was bulling for about a week, thinking I should have fought or not just easilly walked away, I don't know what the outcome would have been if I had more drink on me, I probably would have ended up as pig food or the bottom of the Thames.

Great thread.
    I was born in Ilford..went back there a few years back with my Da...he lived there for 15-20 years..
    What a f#king kip....he couldn't believe he stayed there that long...there again it has changed alot over the years...

Didn't that dump have bulk tanks for Guinness, instead of kegs ?

ha couldn't tell ya. Never ventured in again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Few bars on the old Dock Road in Liverpool - sadly a lot closed down but well rough.

Took a mate into a Republican bar in Belfast with strict instructions to stfu about, well anything.

Racing was on telly and sadly a horse was having to be put down. They put a green curtain round it and he goes "is that cos you're Irish ?".

Thanks be to f**k they laughed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I have to agree on Belfast bars. As a southerner one has to be really fooken careful. Sad to say.

6541 wrote: »
    I have to agree on Belfast bars. As a southerner one has to be really fooken careful. Sad to say.

A mate once took a young lady in one that he'd met in the Europa (she wanted to see "the real Belfast" - she was from Leeds or somewhere up there).

She was at the bar and loudly said "who are those guys there ??" to the portraits behind the bar.

He showed me the pic - one was Michael Collins and one Kevin Barry. There endeth the love story!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A mate once took a young lady in one that he'd met in the Europa (she wanted to see "the real Belfast" - she was from Leeds or somewhere up there).

She was at the bar and loudly said "who are those guys there ??" to the portraits behind the bar.

He showed me the pic - one was Michael Collins and one Kevin Barry. There endeth the love story!!

Why would he expect somebody from leeds to recognise Collins and Barry?

He never but apparently a few heads turned in a "get her out of here" kinda way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

He never but apparently a few heads turned in a "get her out of here" kinda way!

Because an English girl didn’t recognise Kevin Barry. I wouldn’t have a clue what Kevin Barry looks like and I’m Norn Irish born and bred. And I may have to think twice about Collins too. That bar must have been a right provo ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

timthumbni wrote: »
    Because an English girl didn’t recognise Kevin Barry. I wouldn’t have a clue what Kevin Barry looks like and I’m Norn Irish born and bred. And I may have to think twice about Collins too. That bar must have been a right provo ****hole.

I googled pics of Kevin barry and i wouldn;t have recognised him either.

timthumbni wrote: »

From the description it's not somewhere I'd drink in! And I'd be a Republican myself. Not the kind who carry things on like!

At least nowadays a bird wants you to take her to see "the real Belfast" - Titanic Quater!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I googled pics of Kevin barry and i wouldn;t have recognised him either.

https://twitter.com/BarryMcColgan/status/1022249407935377413?s=19

kfallon wrote: »

Ah don't, I only just stopped crying at that Who Do You Think You Are!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Who the **** is Kevin Barry?

Advertisement