Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

should have bought them some tik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Or got some tik on tick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Howaya neighbour! Been working locally for the last few years but only moved in recently. Had friends over for drinks in the house one Saturday night a few weeks ago and we got to talking about having pints in dodgy spots. In our half-cut state we decided it was time for a trip to The Marble Arch. The offie beside has all the drink and staff behind bulletproof glass which is telling. Anyway we landed down all tipsy and loud at about 10:30pm and got stared out of it by the locals, I think I lasted two drinks and had to go home (my barometer for drunkenness was that I was having far too much fun singing along to the woeful fella with the keyboard and shïtty backing track cd)

I won’t be going back again any time soon, wouldn’t mind a trip to The Black Forge for a gawk though.

Marble Arch is legit gangster pub. Not in an overt sense, but just about the place. They are just wary of newbies. Defo would be a little more cautious than normal there.

I went to school in Drimnagh Castle, near the Forge (my bustop was the one outside). The Forge is fine, a little rough. I'd not wanna drink there often, but that part of Drimnagh is not so bad.

I don't consider Drimnagh a terrible place to live, there is worse, but it's for sure rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, on the Barbary Coast. It was a rough place. You would count on a fight breaking out almost every night. It was worse than Detroit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A bar made of breeze blocks in Azerbaijan, opposite the oil refinery where i worked, was called "Welders and Grinders" as that was what was written over the two doors, with a wooden fence between them. Drink was a dollar a can supplied from pallets. All of the locals were taking part in the National Staring At Strangers competition. Despite the fact that they were all Muslim, they were slaughtering the cans as fast as they could be opened. Rough as **** but we came to no harm............In Cork, the 111 on Barrack Street, also known as "The Three Wans". Deeply **** dump, where a doorman was once gunned down and the locals stepped over his body to get out before the cops got there...which they did, very slowly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Or got some tik on tick.

You'd want to be thick to not get the tik on tick.

Moe's Tavern.

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

Used drink there regularly back in the day. Was indeed a mad place. Still go to see Deco play live actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

"I went to school in Drimnagh Castle, near the Forge (my bustop was the one outside). The Forge is fine, a little rough. I'd not wanna drink there often, but that part of Drimnagh is not so bad."

That part of Drimnagh is grand...because it is part of Walkinstown;)

The Welcome Inn...Parnell street.
    Its gone now. Probably more than that but it sticks to mind because of a very nervy hour spent there surrounded by lunatics

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

^^^^^^^^^^^

Wtf is tik?

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    National Staring At Strangers competition.

brilliant! :D

(i know a few pubs in west clare where they participate in the said same competition)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

https://www.bethesda4recovery.com/tik-drug
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    Wtf is tik?

Its a bargain basement version of Crystal Meth. A whole cheap of people hepped up on these drugs, best of luck in this watering hole.

https://www.bethesda4recovery.com/tik-drug

A bar in Mos Eisley, where I saw a brawl that ended too quickly. two obviously drunk people, one who claimed to "have the death penalty on 12 systems", started picking on a young man; things got a bit rough, until an old man with what looked like a laser sword, chopped the other guy's arm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Moloyneaux in Limerick beside the Watergate flats, anti ram barriers outside the front, cracking pints.
    TC's Upper William Street, Limerick, full of lags but savage pints.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

whats a lag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Ex con

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I have family in the Birmingham area and I used to travel to Aston Villa away football matches with them.

My first away trip was to Manchester City before they moved.

Moss side had some dodgy dodgy pubs. I'm so glad I didnt drink at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Ex con

Also applies to current professionals of which two in particular of the clientele were.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

The flying Scotsman in kings cross. A place of Ill repute.

Carrolls Pub outside James Stephens Barracks in Kilkenny City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Ups N Downs-Dorchester MA

Went in for a drink and ended up staying for two because we thought we get murdered for attempting to leave after one

https://www.universalhub.com/2012/troubled-neponset-bar-shut-forever?nocache=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Paddys Bar Galway City, an absolute cess pit

Proper creeps in there

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭whodafunk

The Village Inn Finglas as a non-regular...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The Junction

the Junction/Cornerstone/Karma whatever was always the first years bar in DIT Kevin st , and grand to be honest..

The Fob and Grill in Mayfield Cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

I drank there several times,

The waft of weed when you go in the door was open and transparent. A punk band playing in the basement where the room was so small the band and the crowd became one pogo. Upstairs in the loft were pool tables where I was assaulted by an opponent just out of the joy for armed robbery, next night a deserter from the foreign legion who I was chatting to suddenly threw an ashtray at me when I asked him if he knew wjo James Joyce was. Colourful place, I enjoyed going there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

is this it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

is this it?

Yeah, it's part of a Radisson hotel now. Just up the road is Boards HQ!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Paddys Bar Galway City, an absolute cess pit

Bit baffled by this one too - not somewhere I'd be for a pint often, but not somewhere I'd describe as the dodgiest pub by any stretch. Bit outdated sure, but unless it's gone seriously downhill in the last few years then it's probably overkill being here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The Killinarden house or 'the killy' as it's known by the knuckle dragging natives in Tallaght, south Dublin .

Advertisement