Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Bit baffled by this one too - not somewhere I'd be for a pint often, but not somewhere I'd describe as the dodgiest pub by any stretch. Bit outdated sure, but unless it's gone seriously downhill in the last few years then it's probably overkill being here.

Yeah, I only frequented in a handful of times in the last 2 decades but never seen trouble or scumbags in there.

As you say, maybe it's gone seriously downhill recently? I'm doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Was killing time in an airport hotel near JFK airport waiting for a flight.
    Myself and the wife decided to take a wander around and find a pub for a few drinks.

Anyway we ended up in a suburb called Jamaica and found some pub, looked a bit **** on the outside but I was had the thirst for a pint so we went in.

Open the door and stepped inside. The place smelled of stale smoke and vomit and like the toilet hadn't been cleaned in decades.

The people in there all stared at us like "wtf are you doing here". They stopped playing pool, and I'm pretty sure the music stopped, might have just been the end of the song.

Anyway we didn't stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Goalpost or that other ****hole Bar an Chaladh in auld Galwaye town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

The goalpost is long gone now. Barr an chaladh seems to be one of the more popular spots around woodquay now too. Always big crowds around there at the weekend it seems.

Maybe they used to be dodgy but far from it now I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭satguy

I lived near Finches Pub in Neilstown for a while,, it's a true no windows pub, in every way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Was killing time in an airport hotel near JFK airport waiting for a flight.
    Myself and the wife decided to take a wander around and find a pub for a few drinks.

Anyway we ended up in a suburb called Jamaica and found some pub, looked a bit **** on the outside but I was had the thirst for a pint so we went in.

Open the door and stepped inside. The place smelled of stale smoke and vomit and like the toilet hadn't been cleaned in decades.

The people in there all stared at us like "wtf are you doing here". They stopped playing pool, and I'm pretty sure the music stopped, might have just been the end of the song.

Anyway we didn't stay.

Dare I ask was it predominantly if not all black? With a name like Jamaica I’m guessing it was. If so it’s fair enough to say as much and also it’s fair enough that you weren’t given the welcome we are a accustomed to here. Pubs are like clubs without membership in some areas.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    That part of Drimnagh is grand...because it is part of Walkinstown;)

The Welcome Inn...Parnell street.
    Its gone now. Probably more than that but it sticks to mind because of a very nervy hour spent there surrounded by lunatics

Ah no, The Welcome Inn was a great pub. And one of the best on that strip. I ventured into The Thornebush on that street one night - the cloud of weed smoke that hit me would have knocked out a horse. Once I got my bearings the first thing I saw was a dwarf being carried on someones shoulders belting out some rebel song. I quickly left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Barr An Chaladh is a great spot what are you on about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Thread is now just all about sh*t pubs or pubs that people dislike. Some of the places listed tourists would probably consider the genuine Irish pub experience and rate it highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Graingers on meath st in dublin8

Im newish to the area, wandered in for a pint, had daggers on me immediately, and having a nordie accent intensified. Had a few lads come straight up and ask me aggressivelywho i was and where i was from...im guessing they thouggt i wans underciver or whatever...didnt stay after my first pint. Heard after its closely asociated with a local, infamous gang who dont take kindly to strangers or the Ra, while im the former im definitely not the latter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Ah no, The Welcome Inn was a great pub. And one of the best on that strip. I ventured into The Thornebush on that street one night - the cloud of weed smoke that hit me would have knocked out a horse. Once I got my bearings the first thing I saw was a dwarf being carried on someones shoulders belting out some rebel song. I quickly left.

Sounds like a little craic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Either The Steering Wheel, O'Riadas or the Olympic Arms in Limerick. and Im from Limerick so I can say it :D
    Just discovered this thread and noticed this post specifically.

The Steering Wheel was a prominent part of the Limerick gang feud - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-dies-after-limerick-shooting-1.838830?mode=amp

Olympic Arms always had a bad rep, here's the biggest story that I could find on it - https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/limerick-publican-breaks-down-giving-evidence-60130.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I was on holiday in Scotland years ago, tracing my roots. I went into a roughish looking pub, as it was the one that my ancestors would have frequented. When I got back to my cousin's house he said he wouldn't dare go in there, even in company. He was shocked I went in alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not sure if already mentioned, even by me lol. Forget name of place, the pub in the car park of Northside Shopping Center.

Went in with a mate (not sure why) and although nothing actually happened, we did not finish our pints and left. Vibe that anything could kick off any second. Place is closed years now.

It's the only pub I've ever assembled a lawnmower in, hammered on a Saturday afternoon with my stepdad, but sure that story is best left for another time...

Was about 20 years ago now, wow...

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Barr An Chaladh is a great spot what are you on about

I have my reasons.

Much preferred Bunch of Grapes less scumbags and losers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I have my reasons.

Much preferred Bunch of Grapes less scumbags and losers there.

Not a sinner in Bunch Of Grapes during the day, only yanks. And that’s why I like Barr An Chadladh, because you don’t have to listen to a yank

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Not a sinner in Bunch Of Grapes during the day, only yanks. And that’s why I like Barr An Chadladh, because you don’t have to listen to a yank

Prefer the yanks to some drunken waster tbh.

Better Guinness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I've often wondered how bad the Jobstown Inn would be?
    Also the Cardiff Inn in Finglas looks like a proper kip?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I was in the Cardo years back, a mate was going out with a local girl, lots of lads snorting coke off coins, dog rough. Had a good time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Mortons or 'Snortons' as it's known by the locals in Firhouse, south Dublin deserves a mention. An out and out kip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

whodafunk wrote: »
    The Village Inn Finglas as a non-regular...

Either it's changed A LOT in the past thirty years or you have a very low threshold for dodgy. Which bar unsettled you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Ah no, The Welcome Inn was a great pub.

And sure if you were fifteen and wanted a pint, your options were limited :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

An "estate" pub outside Leeds. Was told not to go there, but after a load of booze we ended up there. When the bar girl told us to leave and her dad (the boss) was coming down with his bat we knew we had to get out fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Killinarden house or 'the killy' as it's known by the knuckle dragging natives in Tallaght, south Dublin .

You must be still in counselling after there seeing as you think Mortons is a rough pub.

The Welcome Inn was a great spot. Actually quite an bohemian type of crowd whenever I was there, hardly a dodgy spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You must be still in counselling after there seeing as you think Mortons is a ough pub.

The Welcome Inn was a great spot. Actually quite an bohemian type of crowd whenever I was there, hardly a dodgy spot.

Agree with all of the above. Morton’s was a grand spot the last time I was in there. The Penny Black in Tymon North was another place with a reputation that wasn’t deserved.

The Welcome Inn was a great pub, and the owner was a friendly man once you understood his eccentricities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Interesting comments on the Welcome in lads.
    As i said i was only in it for a short time. Ive been in worse but the hour that i spent there was mental.
    Still have a smile at the site when going to croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Mortons or 'Snortons' as it's known by the locals in Firhouse, south Dublin deserves a mention. An out and out kip

Lol , you live a very sheltered life if you think Mortons is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Peacocks in Maam Cross was another dodgy one i frequented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

The Fob and Grill in Mayfield Cork city?
    Known as the fob and kill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

gitane007 wrote: »
    The Penthouse behind the old shopping center in Ballymun was a bit of a gauntlet back in the day, another "no windows" shop.
    Was there with a group of 6 ,shady,had to pay a druggie to mind the cars, selling dodgy notes / microwaves etc inside,pint was good ,drank them days so probably was worse than I remember,6 cork city guys in a pub in Ballymena survived to tell the tale

Advertisement