Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Anybody ever go to "The Marble Arch" along by the south side canal in Dublin?
    Never been in there, but it has bouncers there every day from about 7 in the evening. Which is a bit strange for a pub in the middle of housing estate territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

hartigans on lesson st looks like a warehouse...bit freaky in there! :eek:

That's the dodgiest pub you've been in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Theallad

Kielys in donnybrook, being aroud that many KNOB ENDS is as scary as it gets for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

the berlin on the shankill road in belfast and the louden tavern in glasgow,not a good choice when you're a fenian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Anybody ever go to "The Marble Arch" along by the south side canal in Dublin?
    Never been in there, but it has bouncers there every day from about 7 in the evening. Which is a bit strange for a pub in the middle of housing estate territory.

marble arch is greeeat!! full of oul fellas ready to shoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That's the dodgiest pub you've been in?

yes!:(

have been in a couple of dodgy nightclubs more than dodgy pubs as I usualy know the best places to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭VW 1

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Noctor's on Sherriff Street surely has to be up there?
    Also the Towers in Ballymun, haven't been there in a few years when i was with lads i was in school with who were regulars, wouldnt go back there without them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

fippy wrote: »
    Cant believe "The Jobstown house" in tallaght hasn't been mentioned.

:eek:
    Ah yes, The Flying Stool.

One look at it is enough. You don't need to go in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

McGraths pub in Limerick city (opposite Jackman Park). Its now closed sadly but yep it was dodgy but once you didnt act the bollix you were alright. Went in there one Sunday morning before a match with a mate of mine from Kilkenny dressed to the nines in Waterford United FC clobber. No bother at all from the barman or the tatoo wearing, knife scarred clientele. Great craic in there and it was manky as hell. You coudl drink your cans in there no problem.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Few in Cork, the Screaming Monkey, The Grattan Inn, Horse's Ass, the old Roundy House, the old Raven Bar.
    All gone now or renovated completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

VW 1 wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Noctor's on Sherriff Street surely has to be up there?
    Also the Towers in Ballymun, haven't been there in a few years when i was with lads i was in school with who were regulars, wouldnt go back there without them! :D

There's actually a commercial establishment on Sherriff Street????
    Jesus Christ, is it guarded by panzers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

made the mistake of going into Mother Scannells with my english cousin back in the 90s, when the regulars heard his accent the filthy looks could have burnt a hole in you

btw is it still open??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

There's a place me and my mate used to go in when we were 14 or 15 that served anyone, we thought it was brilliant because of that but looking back it was a total dive. Can't remember the name but it was on Aungier Street anyway.

Or pretty much any boozer from the town I lived in in Manchester. Actually there were seven of them when I moved there, and 4 left by the time I came back here. The rest were burnt to a crisp by kids with nothing better to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

the Padrig Pearse on Pearse St.

I'd rather be knee deep in blender!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I've heard the Towers in Ballymun is the only pub in Ireland that sells Dutch Gold on tap.....

THATS how big a kip it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Can't believe this wasn't mentioned:

The Jolly Toper, Finglas.

We live in the vicinity of this establishment and were blocked from entering our home by some incidents related to the pub..

Double shooting in it
    Stabbing just outside it
    Suspected car bomb found in pub car park

These are the big ones I can remember, there are others but I won't continue.

The funniest was when Alsan played in the pub last year some time - I've never seen the Gardai Helicopter stationed in the one position for so long before. It was practically sitting on the pub's roof :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

In this country the Oasis in Cabra....f*cking sh*thole.

unbelievable pub. they actually had dutch gold on tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Brendog wrote: »
    I've heard the Towers in Ballymun is the only pub in Ireland that sells Dutch Gold on tap.....

ha, i hadn't gotten that far in the thread, but i can confirm this at least was true, but i only went in once about four years ago, not sure about it now. i'm going for the oasis in cabra though, for sheer danger it was the worst.

the scummiest kip though is the brookwood/corduff inn in corduff, blanchardstown. hooooly ****, the last, and only time i was there, they let people smoke cos it was a private function. further to their lack of respect for the smoking ban (it was 2005), which doesn't really bother me, they also had flagrant disregard for the law regarding the insufflation of certain powders off the tables in the pub. absolute shíthole of the highest order. they also knowingly allow underagers in to buy alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

ART6 wrote: »
    Many years ago when serving an apprenticeship in a Glasgow shipyard, near the yard gates was a "wine bar". They had a zinc bath filled with cheap sherry, which they would scoop out with jugs and sell for pennies to the winos among the yard workers.

All the slops would be thrown in too.

Yates wine Bar?

Could be wine lodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The towers is a run down hole but trouble is rare enough in there, at least downstairs. Have'nt been in there regularly in years though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the jobstown inn in tallaght horrible horible horrible place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

connundrum wrote: »
    Can't believe this wasn't mentioned:

The Jolly Toper, Finglas.

We live in the vicinity of this establishment and were blocked from entering our home by some incidents related to the pub..

Double shooting in it
    Stabbing just outside it
    Suspected car bomb found in pub car park

These are the big ones I can remember, there are others but I won't continue.

The funniest was when Alsan played in the pub last year some time - I've never seen the Gardai Helicopter stationed in the one position for so long before. It was practically sitting on the pub's roof :D

Thats a grand pub and the booze is cheap..i've never seen a problem inside or outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Probably the Parnell Mooney on a friday or saturday night, but tbh i never felt uneasy in the place.

I would imagine pubs in the middle of massive council estates would be far rougher, i.e Finches, in bawnogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭lemonjelly

The worlds end in kk.....what a kip

The only pub i know of that it's impossible to get barred from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

yep, I remember it.. near Blackhall Place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

there used to be a pub on McCurtain Street in Cork back in 1995, called the 'Screaming Monkey'.. it appeared in an RTE investigative program later in 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

Brendog wrote: »

Where did you hear that because i can tell you 100% that its not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There's actually a commercial establishment on Sherriff Street????
    Jesus Christ, is it guarded by panzers?

From working in the IFSC, our group always said we'd go in for a drink at lunchtime.
    We never did in the end, I'd imagine it'd be ok.

We are locals after all in the IFSC ;)
    But we'll never be true locals.
    With the permanent armed garda presence 50 metres away for a long time it was probably safest area in Dublin

Although someone was shot and killed outside it last week!
    Pal wrote: »
    Noctors on Sheriff Street looks charming but I've never been brave enough to go in.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc316/WishboneAshe/SheriffStreetLowerNoctorsPub.jpg

You really should - it's an experience!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Noctors in the Sheriff st area, in about 1997. Had some friends from the area. Loads of tarted up little sl*ts singing Karaeoke, they looked pretty hot until they opened their mouths, teeth all over the place and accents that would make your ears bleed.

Noctor's must be one of the only pubs around that gets NO passing trade. It's a "must do" for anyone who's got the balls to do it!

It's a mental place!
    mp22 wrote: »
    used to frequent the warf tavern on the east wall road in the late seventies
    RUFF RUFF!!!

It's the Seabank House now and is a nice place whenever I've been in it, it's now a much older settled crowd. Not been in it when there's loads of young folk there, I'd say it might be fun then!

I was in it when it was the Wharf Tavern as well and by Jesus it was rough then!

Stones85 wrote: »
    The Felons, Belfast

The Felons is not in the slightest bit rough - it's a great spot where the locals will go out of their way to ensure you have a nice time.

A group of us went into the bar in there one day and we were told "Lads, I think yiz would be more comfortable in the Lounge" - we knew exactly what they meant and moved! Felon's is a great spot.
    Lux23 wrote: »
    I was in one called Joxer Dalys recently on Dorset Street, not overly rough but the barman kept spraying air freshener to cover the smell of fart. It didn't work.

Joxer's is a kip and amazingly it actually won Black and White pub of the year years ago!!! How the place has fallen since!

The Brazen Head in Glasgow. Good craic but dodgy as hell.

Now you're talking! Been in there dozens of times, great spot, one of the best pubs I've been to. Always a great day there and always bump into Irish people you know. Brought a few folk in there for their first visit a few years ago, went in at about noon and there were more dogs than punters in the place at the outset including a guy with two HUGE Rottweillers who would growl if you went near them.

The place filled up and was hopping by early afternoon but not before we started playing pool with a junkie who was falling asleep between shots. I'd have to gently wake him and remind him it was his shot, he was annoying the girls behind the counter as the one ga,e of pool took about an hour. Eventually I beat him and he went to the bar to get another drink... and was served even though the staff knew he was heroined off his head!

I'll add a few of my own now...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Corduff yet? Grim pub, grim area.

The Cappagh is bad as well but that place must do unreal business.

A fella I used to work with was held up by shotgun on a Tuesday morning outside The Shanty in Mulhuddart.

The Parnell Mooney has to be the pub with the most "down and outs" though - it's a shambles of a place.

The Blue Lion on Parnell Street was a **** hole as well... closed down now though.

Had a bit of a scare with Travellers in the Bottom of the Hill in Finglas a few years ago. Me and a buddy from the area went on the lash out there one day and just got chatting to a large group of Travellers in the pub. Anyway, after another few drinks I went to the jacks and was promptly followed in by at least ten Travellers and another group of local "heads" - to say I was ****ting myself is an understatement. I started going back through my earlier conversation with them to see could I remember anything I might have said to make them angry! I was just about to fall into the recovery position on the floor when the two groups started chatting to each other, one group took out a huge wad of money, the other a package and they exchanged and both parties promptly left the jacks... I was never so relieved in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not one for pubs really but I have done a gig in the Bottom of the Hill in Finglas (among other dive pubs) before and that place does have an atmosphere for sure. Kind of like a big dimly lit drinking hall with an unusual mix of clientele including a few barbie doll types, travelling folk, tracksuits and some crusty dub salt o' the earth types. We were playing on front of a big fireplace near the main entrance. Bouncers wouldn't let anyone up to dance and broke up any attempts. Travellers heckled us to play more Johnny Cash.

Not that I felt in any immediate danger though. The scones'n'heads hanging around the front entrance were only too happy to get out of our way and hold doors open for us upon load in/load out and no sign of any grabby grab attempts on their part but the feeling of unease didn't let up till we left. Someone remarked that at that time, the Bottom of the Hill was the refuge for those who'd been banned from the other pubs in the area. However, having read this thread, I believe that was an exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

gsp119 wrote: »
    Jobstown House and Killanarden Inn - Those 2 are scary mutant banjo plucking kips -

hahaha the second one is grand.... might not be in the most affluent area i admit but its actually quite friendly and generally great crack...... maybe if you mentioned the shot lived night club upstairs........ (shudders)

Advertisement