Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guitar lessons in the drogheda area?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

i am thinking of taking up playing guitar. not sure where to start or what i need to buy. can anybody suggest where to start, or indeed if they know of guitar tuition in the drogheda area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

You should start off on something relatively cheap. I know many people who have had the inkling to play the geetar and off they go and spend a fortune only to neglect the instrument completely and voila you have a very expenive paperweight. Here is my advice.
    You can get a decent quality acoustic for under a ton...something like the yamaha FG series. Check out adverts.ie or gumtree.ie and make sure you bring someone who knows about guitars with you to try it out. The tuners should hold tune and the neck should be relatively straight with low enough action.
    I got a geetar for my niece for 50 quid on adverts.ie it was a bargain and guess what if she decides she doesn't wasnt to pursue it we haven't lost a fortune. If you decide to follow the road to becomming an accomplished string plucker it is soooooo rewarding ;) Good Luck
    PS youtube is great for lessons if you don't decide to do 1:1 thing with a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The Sound Shop would be a good place to start. They could probably do you a deal on a beginners pack and lessons. I was playing one of their 100 euro guitars about a year ago, and I remember being surprised at how decent it was (for the money). From my experience, there's more chance of you sticking with an instrument if you get lessons. It's difficult to start on your own, even with the best books and videos.

As Fingers said, just don't splash out on your first guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

First guitar i had cost me £5 think the strings and plec's cost me more :pac:
    That was 18 years ago.
    It'll take a lot of practice and hard work but is worth every second spent whilst learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

got my first guitar all those years ago from fast eddie aka riff :D is he still around ?

Anyway op i still play , just playing along to songs, get yourself a cheap acoustic guitar and a tuner!!!!!!!! then google *band*song*guitar tab* and it's paint by numbers, you can teach your self like this and by learning chords tc and playing along to songs. All via a quick google search.

Start out this way and then decide if you want to pay for lessons, at the end of the say all they will do is show you , you still have to play the thing yourself!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

calex71 wrote: »
    got my first guitar all those years ago from fast eddie aka riff :D is he still around ?

He's living out in Tullyallen now,no longer in the music sales but drives a taxi.
    Think he still gigs around the local pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I'm bumping up this thread!

45 year old bloke who always wanted to learn the guitar looking for pointers on who to go to for lessons (in Drogheda area). Rock/Indie based rather than classic guitar if that matters.

Any idea on how much they cost?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 edwardmp2

Hi There,

I teach guitar lessons of all styles to all ages in the drogheda area. I have just published my website which gives students 24/7 support and access to extra learning material.

Have a look around yourself at edphelanguitar.com

Get in touch to book your free starter lessons to run over your musical interests.
    Any other querys please feel free to send me an email or message me here.

Regards,
    Ed

Advertisement