Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 Ford Focus - Price

• 11-08-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice on pricing.

Looking at a 2006 Ford Focus Zetac with 56k on the clock

http://rightpricecars.webzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194506655

The dealer is prepared to take €7000 plus a trade of an 98 Opel Astra with 80k on the clock (gave a value of €1000). Seems very reasonable to me, guess I just wanted to double check with people on here to see if they agreed or if they think there is better value to be had(even with a different type of car etc).

Also I have a slight suspicion that the car might have been used as a rental car before I presume motorcheck would confirm if that was the case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Not a bad price by any means, and they are generally very relaible. It may have been a company car if it's a one owner job with that mileage. Could have a good service history as a result. I dont know if that would be flagged on a motor check though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Seems good value to me, getting a car 8 years younger for 7k.

Nicer looking than the hachbacks too IMO, but not many will agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP have you asked the dealer what the straight cash price for the Focus would be?

I think you could buy it straight for close to €7k and then sell the Astra privately. If the Astra is running well and in good condtion then it should sell. I know someone who recently sold a low mileage 98 newer shape Astra for €1100.

Regarding the Focus, it could have been a rental but most Focus rentals I have seen have all been hatchbacks rather than saloons. It could well be an ex company rep car though. I would not let that put you off though, usually they are serviced and maintained properly as it is covered under the leasing agreements. Just make sure things like the clutch or gearbox are not on their way out due to previous abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP have you asked the dealer what the straight cash price for the Focus would be?

I think you could buy it straight for close to €7k and then sell the Astra privately. If the Astra is running well and in good condtion then it should sell. I know someone who recently sold a low mileage 98 newer shape Astra for €1100.

Regarding the Focus, it could have been a rental but most Focus rentals I have seen have all been hatchbacks rather than saloons. It could well be an ex company rep car though. I would not let that put you off though, usually they are serviced and maintained properly as it is covered under the leasing agreements. Just make sure things like the clutch or gearbox are not on their way out due to previous abuse.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't asked about a straight cash deal. The Astra is in reasonable nick but needs a bit of money put into it, she could do with a service, needs new break pads on the front and there is an issue with the Fuel Pressure Regulator (would cost around €200 to fix) so I haven't looked into selling it privately. However its not a bad idea as from speaking to a couple of dealers it looks like anybody looking to do straight cash deals would get a good price on anything at present.

Just in regards to the clutch or gearbox apart from bringing the car to a mechanic to take a look is there any other way of determining if they are nearly on their way out?

Advertisement