Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42 year old single woman trying to conceive with donor sperm?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,

Are there any single women trying to get pregnant with donor sperm? I am 42 years old, living in Laois and after a string of failed heterosexual relationships I have decided to try to get pregnant using donor sperm, via IUI. I have been toying around with the idea for 4-5 years and now I'm running out of time.

I was liaising with Londons Women Clinic in Harley Street but only recently discovered that Clane were treating Single women. I have had my first consultation but the stats produced to me were very very low, coupled with my high BMI of 37.

I would love to chat with other single women who are trying to or who have already tried the process. Ideally if any obese women have tried the IUI and been successful would talk to me. I am trying to shed a few stone before my first insemination in a couple of months but its not easy.

My doctor has prescribed Xenical (Alli is the over counter product) to help with this. At the moment it all seems like a gigantic task with minimal chance of success.

I hope others are out there with whom I can chat and share experiences and tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

My doctor also prescribed me Xenical, which did nothing but make me incredibly sick! I thankfully got diagonsed as having PCOS a few weeks later and got reffered to a dietician and with other mediciation that have brought my BMI from 33 to 26 also with the goal of concieving in the future, unfortunatly have to sort other health problems out first, but at least one task is down :) The Nutrition and Diet forum on here is very good, and there's lots of sound, healthy scientific ways you can improve your health for good.

It might seem like a giant task but if you take it a kilogram at a time, it's very managable, and keep your goal it mind, you are in with a good chance. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sharon68

Hi lily, i just found your post and am in exactly the same situation, I am wondering how things went for you - hope you are doing good. Thanks for the tip on Clane - I am going to look into that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi Sharon, Im afraid I havent lost any weight and thus have not returned to the Clinic. I had my first consultation in Aug/Sept and i needed to shift a few stone by Nov/dec. I havent managed to do that. Prob never will at this rate. I am very reluctant to a)try to get pregnant, given that my obesity greatly reduces the success rate and b) there would be too many health risks associated with being this heavy and pregnant. I am 17 and a half stone, 4' 5''.
    I still want children and have now decided to pursue fostering. Friends of mine recently took up Crisis fostering and I have heard the stories of these kids and the lives they are leading. It makes me feel a bit selfish bringing a new child into the world when there are so many out there now looking for love and stability. I have made initial enquiries and the process will take approx 12 months. Here goes...
    I would love to hear about your situation and why you have decided to pursue the IUI route also?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sharon68

Hi lily, Getting involved in fostering is very brave and noble of you, we have also considered it but not really investigated yet. I am in a gay relationship so that kinda puts a different spin on things. Irish law is so discriminating; I believe it is possible that we would be considered for fostering but not for adoption even if one of us was the biological mother.
    Good luck with your journey.

Advertisement