Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indie & Alternative night

• 11-08-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi Maynoothians,
    After a bit of thought and a lot of talking we have decided its time to run an Indie & Alternative night in Maynooth, OMG (exclamation mark). It will be every Saturday night upstairs in O'Neills and I will be the fantaboulus DJ.
    What you will NOT hear:

Rihanna
    Lady Gaga
    Madonna
    Timbaland
    Spice Girls (*cough* Bradys *cough*)
    Hey Mickey
    YMCA
    Westlife
    Dolly Parton (*cough* The Roost *cough*)
    Tiesto (Story bud)

What else you won't hear
    "Sorry lads you can't come in here wearing Converse"

What you will hear;

The Kings of Leon
    The Pixies
    The Strokes
    Razorlight
    The Libertines
    Bloc Party
    Kasabian
    Soulwax
    Justice
    Empire of the sun
    The Clash
    Etc etc etc...

But I want some input...
    I want to know what the public want to hear, what you expect from such a night. Its gonna have to be danceable (is that even a word) music which cuts out some stuff but all suggestions are welcome..

If this works (and I'm fairly confident it will) we might look at putting on a similar night during the week for the student population (yeah baby!)

*The views expressed in this email are the views of djdeclan and not those of O'Neills, terms and conditions apply, the volume of the music may go up as well as down. djdeclan is authorised by the Financial Regulator to tear up your dancefloor. djdeclan cannot be held responsible for injuries sustained while dancing on said torn up dancefloor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

djdeclan wrote: »
    I want to know what the public want to hear, what you expect from such a night. Its gonna have to be danceable (is that even a word) music which cuts out some stuff but all suggestions are welcome..

I'd like some decent mixing going on, to make the like of Kings of Leon or whatever a bit more danceable. Personally I'd love some reggae/dancehall and some good dance music (The Knife or whatever) so it would be a great place to dance rather than one of these 'cool' places that just plays indie but nobody moves or just pretends they can dance to it.
    If this works (and I'm fairly confident it will) we might look at putting on a similar night during the week for the student population (yeah baby!)
    Hasn't this already been done? Think they had it on Wednesdays, never went as none of my friends were going. Plus ONeills would need to do some serious drink promotions rather than half arsed ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I'd prefer a metal (as if) or trance (proper progressive or psytrance) night way more than this. Honestly, Indie & Alternative is just as bad as pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

What you will hear:

The Kings of Leon - No thanks.
    The Pixies
    The Strokes
    Razorlight - No thanks.
    The Libertines
    Bloc Party
    Kasabian -No thanks.
    Soulwax
    Justice
    Empire of the sun
    The Clash
    Etc etc etc...

Throw in some Interpol and some actually decent drinks promos and I'm there.

*The views expressed in this email are the views of djdeclan and not those of O'Neills, terms and conditions apply, the volume of the music may go up as well as down. djdeclan is authorised by the Financial Regulator to tear up your dancefloor. djdeclan cannot be held responsible for injuries sustained while dancing on said torn up dancefloor.

Rofl.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

Thanks for the fast responses lads!

@ Beau: Decent mixing is what I'm all about - I'd be bored out of my tree if I wasn't mixing/mashing/sampling throughout the night, so expect more than just a jukebox style DJ, I take your point about making certain songs more danceable, I'll probably play some remixes of the less danceable stuff so that I can incorporate certain songs - but I wont be playing any of the cheese dance versions just for the sake of it!
    Didn't know anybody had done an indie night in Maynooth before, I've only been playing there since O'Neills opened and have regularly heard people giving out about the lack of alternative nights in the area so I thought it was time to give one a lash

@ Michellenman: Interpol = not a problem... I'll see you there

The whole drinks promos seems to be an issue with O'Neills, while I have no control over that end of things I will make the point to management and hopefully we can get some decent ones going..

I've only been playing there since O'Neills opened and have regularly heard people giving out about the lack of alternative nights in the area so I thought it was time to give one a lash

I actually meant O'Neills! They used to have it on their poster at the window showing whats on each night and Wednesday was apparently Indie and Alt night.

Good luck with it, I wouldn't be too pushed with it. If you truly played some class music that people could dance to it could work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Get some goddamn Bowie in there, nobody plays Bowie anymore! And I'm not talking Craig Bleedin' David or whoever it was that did a version of 'Lets Dance', assholes. BOWIEEEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Sounds great. More happy about what you're not playing than what you're playing tbh!

Perhaps throw in a few golden oldies from the 70s and 80s for example, The Buggles 'Video Killed the Radio Star', Paul Simon 'You Can Call Me Al' etc. People always get a great kick when classics like those come on in a pub or club.

Sounds good, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

The Pixies
    The Strokes
    The Libertines
    Bloc Party
    Soulwax
    Justice
    The Clash

<awesomeface>

Great idea. I'd love something like this during the week though, make Tuesday a winners night. Fact is most students actually like half-decent music but the local pubs/clubs will presume they'll dance to any old crap (as many do) so can get away with sticking on Lady Gaga all night.

Look at somewhere like Trashed in town. Proof you can run a night on a bloody TUESDAY with decent drinks promos and make enough Benjamin Franklins to keep it going. Maynooth needs a night like this tbh, asap. I think you're doing a good idea the wrong way though for starting with the weekend and seeing if its worth expanding to midweek, I'd go the other way 'round. Anyone in Maynooth who likes that kind of music will be found in town on a Saturday.

I actually think the SU would be the perfect venue for something like this too, but thats just me.

Throw in some Interpol and some actually decent drinks promos and I'm there.

What she said, on both counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Get some goddamn Bowie in there, nobody plays Bowie anymore! And I'm not talking Craig Bleedin' David or whoever it was that did a version of 'Lets Dance', assholes. BOWIEEEE

Omigod! Let me shake this persons hand! Is there another Bowie fan in Maynooth?! I love Bowie. I find if you request Bowie they'll always play Let's Dance when come on, Station to Station (ok cut off the intro if you want) would be such a floor filler when it gets going! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

hi djdeclan,
    i'd be up for playing some tunes if you need a help out sometime.

stuff like (off top of me head)

pavement,
    belle and sebastian,
    rapture,
    css,
    la roux,
    chk, chk, chk,
    bell x 1,
    jape,
    beasties,
    beck,
    bobby conn,
    ladyhawke

• Advertisement

M.I.A. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Rozabeez wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

No Travis????? No Ocean Colour Scene???? No Manics?? No R.E.M????

Teabag! wrote: »

Yes none of them please.

This is the problem with these nights, people come expecting their favourite music to be played and get pissed when its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

Teabag! wrote: »

Taking the piss surely?
    No Oasis???? No U2????? No Coldplay???? No Keane??? No Muse?? No My Chemical Romance??? No The Thrills???

jane says wrote: »
    Taking the piss surely?

Deffo not, i'm afraid....

I guess i'll have to have my own super cool uber exclusive indie party, and only i'm invited :(:D:(

"No Oasis???? No U2????? No Coldplay???? No Keane??? No Muse?? No My Chemical Romance??? No The Thrills??? "

with maybe the exclusion of muse the rest can go and die........

I see this idea has taken off a bit on boards (lets hope the same happens on the ground!)

To those wondering why I didn't list their favorite band in my original post - I would still be typing it now if I included every artist I intend on playing! I'm reorganising my cds for these nights and pretty much every band mentioned in the thread so far (incl. Bowie - legend that he is) is gonna feature in the music I bring to the gig..

@ Private eye: You have raised some good points, yes the students do like this music as they tend to have decent taste, and yes it probably will work better during the week, Tuesday was the night I was hoping to expand to, given that it is the only night that none of the venues run anything, but in order to convince management that it will work I have to make it work on a Saturday first..

Keep the suggestions coming folks, and be nice! Bands have feelings too ya know ;-)

I see this idea has taken off a bit on boards (lets hope the same happens on the ground!)

To those wondering why I didn't list their favorite band in my original post - I would still be typing it now if I included every artist I intend on playing! I'm reorganising my cds for these nights and pretty much every band mentioned in the thread so far (incl. Bowie - legend that he is) is gonna feature in the music I bring to the gig..

@ Private eye: You have raised some good points, yes the students do like this music as they tend to have decent taste, and yes it probably will work better during the week, Tuesday was the night I was hoping to expand to, given that it is the only night that none of the venues run anything, but in order to convince management that it will work (and they take some amount of convincing) I have to make it work on a Saturday first..

Keep the suggestions coming folks, and be nice! Bands have feelings too ya know ;-)

Dont worry mate, you cant please all the people all the time, and you'd be a fool to try........

Fair enough djdeclan mate, I'd still make the effort to get out to that kind of night even on a Saturday. I hope it works out, they'd make a killing on a decent midweek indie night, so if that is a possible outcome of this working out then I really hope it does!

All you need is them to provide SOMETHING on tap for 3 yoyos. In The Academy its Becks, which I'm indifferent too, in most places its Becks or Fosters. Cheap booze is cheap booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

I think that sounds like a great idea! True it might be difficult to get people on a Saturday but I would totally make the effort to come up. If it was eventually on a Tuesday or Wednesday it would be perfect. I hope this happens this year... After 2 years of the usual night life something new would enhance my Maynooth life greatly.
    I think if there was added drinks promos I'd just explode with the excitement! It'd also be a good way of convincing friends to come who might not be too pushed on the Indie/alternative night idea.

I say YES and YAY!

• Advertisement

In a pub in Galway you get a jug (3 pints) of Bavaria for 5 euro! Now that would be sweet. Bavaria is lovely on tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

My knowledge of modern non-art music in general is pretty weak, but I might well pop along to this and have the craic. Great idea, too.

9 thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Sounds good, might check it out some Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I doubt you'll see any drinks promos in Maynooth, unless you want to start paying in at the door. These days there's a whole bunch of legislature relating to happy hours/drinks promos etc that is trying to tackle binge drinking. So for the bar to be allowed have a promo on it has to be a regular thing, not just a once off. That means they have to really commit to selling cheap drink and that means to cover their asses if they take the risk, they charge in.

Pubs are hard enough to run at the moment anyway, without considering cutting profit margins. In a small town like Maynooth the few extra customers that cheap drink will bring in aren't gonna make up for your losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

Soulwax and drinks promos??! I'm there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

friendly fires.whens it starting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I like trippy music, how can you accommodate an individual such as myself? :D

By drinks promos, I dont mean 'ALL PINTS 3 YOYOS! AND WE'LL CHUCK IN A JAEGERBOMB!!11' but just one pint on tap for 3quid, be it Bavaria, Becks, Fosters or something else in that school. Something affordable like that makes the whole thing more appealing. If I'm paying a fiver a pint I rarely show up early, and in Maynooth things tend to end early(ish)

I really hope this one works out, in fact I think it will judging by peoples attitudes here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm time rich but cash poor. I'll be there but warn the pub they'll not be making any cash outta me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

What you will hear;

The Kings of Leon
    The Pixies
    The Strokes
    Razorlight
    The Libertines
    Bloc Party
    Kasabian
    Soulwax
    Justice
    Empire of the sun
    The Clash
    Etc etc etc...

Sorry, I thought I heard alternative?:rolleyes: Jesus, have we become so clueless as to include Razorlight, KoL and Kasabian on a list of "alternative" music? Get some good "alternative" bands on the stereo and I might be in. Could we try some Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Radiohead, Andrew Bird, Why?, TV on the Radio, Dan Deacon, Major Lazer, Delorean, Broken Social Scene, etc? Something genuinely "alt" as opposed to stuff that is just middle of the road pop-rock? You know, for the discerning listeners? ;) Throw in some dubstep style stuff, Four Tet, Joker, Caspa, Burial and the likes and you'll have it all. We don't all want to dance, just a nice atmosphere with cool people to talk to is generally enough for me. Hell, a night like that would be reason enough to stay in Maynooth the odd night. And if I heard another remix of "Reckoner" like I heard in Twisted Pepper a few weeks back then I'd have to boycott the place on principle!

On the drinks promo side of things Pygmalion in town do a deadly tower of Bavaria for 15 quid every now and again. About 6 pints or thereabouts in the tower. They do a pitcher with 3 for a tenner sometimes too. If you could get something like that then you'd be sorted.

Much as I love Broken Social Scene, Animal Collective, TV on the Radio and their sort, Dub Step needs to die in a fire..... and thats from somebody who loves electronic too :pac:

I suppose this thread has proved you can't please everyone. Pitchers however are most def. the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I suppose this thread has proved you can't please everyone. Pitchers however are most def. the way forward.

Musically maybe not, but cheap beer unites the masses.:cool:

indiej.jpg

The new night kicks off this Staurday (29th), really looking forward to it as It gives me the chance to play some real quality music!
    Hopefully I'll see some of you there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

lets see....

defenitely M.I.A.
    what about florence and the machine...rabbit heart etc...
    allanis morresette
    queen
    sum chillis (rarely hear them being played these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

mp3guy wrote: »
    I'd prefer a metal (as if) or trance (proper progressive or psytrance) night way more than this. Honestly, Indie & Alternative is just as bad as pop.

Totally agree, at least in a night club situation anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

indiej.jpg

The new night kicks off this Staurday (29th), really looking forward to it as It gives me the chance to play some real quality music!
    Hopefully I'll see some of you there..

Smiths reference FTW.

Hi guys

I've been informed that we won't be going ahead with this new night after all,
    to those who offered suggestions and encouragement I say thank you, One thing I can promise is that come college time when Monday nights return we will be playing plenty of indie & alternative stuff - I've discovered a lot of new music over the last few weeks and I will be including it in my sets from now on. I will also push for a midweek Indie disco for the students, the boardsies will be the first to know if that is going to happen..

If any of ye are ever in O'Neills pop up and say hello, its always nice to meet boards folk in the real world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

that's a pity, although i don't think it'd work too well on saturdays anyway.
    i'd love to head along to hear decent music played, but i know on saturdays that most of my friends would just want to go to mantra by midnight, and i'd say with the lack of students around, it'd be harder to get a decent crowd at the weekends.

a few more dance-y indie-ish stuff that'd prob work well in sets:

tokyo police club
    sunshine underground
    bloc party
    passion pit
    friendly fires
    DFA1979
    chromeo
    new young pony club
    yeah yeah yeahs
    MSTRKRFT
    LCD soundsystem
    editors
    klaxons
    hot chip
    foals
    white lies
    simian mobile disco
    the whip
    doves
    shiny toy guns
    cajun dance party
    we are scientists
    the bravery
    santigold
    filthy dukes
    blood red shoes

obviously no-one will be a fan of all those (myself included), but there'll be people that enjoy plenty of them.

as much as i'd love to hear more obscure stuff than that, i don't think a night made up with stuff like Grizzly Bear or TV on The Radio would work too well, and especially not dubstep, even though i love it, would be very out of place.

as long as it's a bit left-field, but still vaguely commercial enough to get people in, plus a deal on some drinks as mentioned before, then i think it would work well.

You have hit the nail squarely on the head with that post ghostdancer, as I said I will be including a lot more indie/alternative stuff in my sets from now on, especially early in the night 10:00 - 11:30 ish when its not too busy, so if you are a fan of quality music I'd say head up there early on and you'll hear some good stuff.

Anyone else have a feeling of dejavu? I'm sure this has happened before. Anyways, thats a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

so no indie and alternative?
    ah, thats just not fair! I just got very excited over nothing.
    djdeclan....go talk to the ents officer in the su, or the comms officer, actually too.
    please please please can we have an indie night.
    NOWHERE (bar caulfields) IN MAYNOOTH PLAYS DECENT MUSIC ANYMORE.
    not everyone wants to go to places that plays chart music.
    thats why i have spent most of the summer drinking (well, smuggeling a hipflask into) Pravda and Crawdaddy in town.

djdeclan....go talk to the ents officer in the su, or the comms officer, actually too.
    thats why i have spent most of the summer drinking (well, smuggeling a hipflask into) Pravda and Crawdaddy in town.

Many times I've been in the coat-line at Antics or Thrashed and somebody goes "AH ITS YER MAN! YER MAN FROM MAYNOOTH!" and I take comfort from the fact I'm not alone.

If you reckon we could work something out with the SU then I'd be well up for it, could you pm me with names/contact details? I fully agree that not everyone wants to hear chart music and to be honest I'm fairly p!ssed off myself that this isn't going ahead, I now need an outlet for my new found love for Friendly fires, White lies and the Yeah yeah yeahs!!

Actually can everyone that would be in favour of something like this on maybe a Tuesday night please post a message; I will show it to management and try to get them to go ahead with such a night..

White lies - Farewell to the fairground FTW BTW

Advertisement