Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie & Alternative night

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Much as I love Broken Social Scene, Animal Collective, TV on the Radio and their sort, Dub Step needs to die in a fire..... and thats from somebody who loves electronic too :pac:

I suppose this thread has proved you can't please everyone. Pitchers however are most def. the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I suppose this thread has proved you can't please everyone. Pitchers however are most def. the way forward.

Musically maybe not, but cheap beer unites the masses.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

indiej.jpg

The new night kicks off this Staurday (29th), really looking forward to it as It gives me the chance to play some real quality music!
    Hopefully I'll see some of you there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

lets see....

defenitely M.I.A.
    what about florence and the machine...rabbit heart etc...
    allanis morresette
    queen
    sum chillis (rarely hear them being played these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

mp3guy wrote: »
    I'd prefer a metal (as if) or trance (proper progressive or psytrance) night way more than this. Honestly, Indie & Alternative is just as bad as pop.

Totally agree, at least in a night club situation anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

djdeclan wrote: »
    indiej.jpg

The new night kicks off this Staurday (29th), really looking forward to it as It gives me the chance to play some real quality music!
    Hopefully I'll see some of you there..

Smiths reference FTW.

Hi guys

I've been informed that we won't be going ahead with this new night after all,
    to those who offered suggestions and encouragement I say thank you, One thing I can promise is that come college time when Monday nights return we will be playing plenty of indie & alternative stuff - I've discovered a lot of new music over the last few weeks and I will be including it in my sets from now on. I will also push for a midweek Indie disco for the students, the boardsies will be the first to know if that is going to happen..

If any of ye are ever in O'Neills pop up and say hello, its always nice to meet boards folk in the real world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

that's a pity, although i don't think it'd work too well on saturdays anyway.
    i'd love to head along to hear decent music played, but i know on saturdays that most of my friends would just want to go to mantra by midnight, and i'd say with the lack of students around, it'd be harder to get a decent crowd at the weekends.

a few more dance-y indie-ish stuff that'd prob work well in sets:

tokyo police club
    sunshine underground
    bloc party
    passion pit
    friendly fires
    DFA1979
    chromeo
    new young pony club
    yeah yeah yeahs
    MSTRKRFT
    LCD soundsystem
    editors
    klaxons
    hot chip
    foals
    white lies
    simian mobile disco
    the whip
    doves
    shiny toy guns
    cajun dance party
    we are scientists
    the bravery
    santigold
    filthy dukes
    blood red shoes

obviously no-one will be a fan of all those (myself included), but there'll be people that enjoy plenty of them.

as much as i'd love to hear more obscure stuff than that, i don't think a night made up with stuff like Grizzly Bear or TV on The Radio would work too well, and especially not dubstep, even though i love it, would be very out of place.

as long as it's a bit left-field, but still vaguely commercial enough to get people in, plus a deal on some drinks as mentioned before, then i think it would work well.

You have hit the nail squarely on the head with that post ghostdancer, as I said I will be including a lot more indie/alternative stuff in my sets from now on, especially early in the night 10:00 - 11:30 ish when its not too busy, so if you are a fan of quality music I'd say head up there early on and you'll hear some good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Anyone else have a feeling of dejavu? I'm sure this has happened before. Anyways, thats a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

so no indie and alternative?
    ah, thats just not fair! I just got very excited over nothing.
    djdeclan....go talk to the ents officer in the su, or the comms officer, actually too.
    please please please can we have an indie night.
    NOWHERE (bar caulfields) IN MAYNOOTH PLAYS DECENT MUSIC ANYMORE.
    not everyone wants to go to places that plays chart music.
    thats why i have spent most of the summer drinking (well, smuggeling a hipflask into) Pravda and Crawdaddy in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

djdeclan....go talk to the ents officer in the su, or the comms officer, actually too.
    thats why i have spent most of the summer drinking (well, smuggeling a hipflask into) Pravda and Crawdaddy in town.

Many times I've been in the coat-line at Antics or Thrashed and somebody goes "AH ITS YER MAN! YER MAN FROM MAYNOOTH!" and I take comfort from the fact I'm not alone.

If you reckon we could work something out with the SU then I'd be well up for it, could you pm me with names/contact details? I fully agree that not everyone wants to hear chart music and to be honest I'm fairly p!ssed off myself that this isn't going ahead, I now need an outlet for my new found love for Friendly fires, White lies and the Yeah yeah yeahs!!

Actually can everyone that would be in favour of something like this on maybe a Tuesday night please post a message; I will show it to management and try to get them to go ahead with such a night..

White lies - Farewell to the fairground FTW BTW

Advertisement