Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Alternative night

Options
  • 11-08-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Good people of Kildare,
    After a bit of thought and a lot of talking we have decided its time to run an Indie & Alternative night in Maynooth, OMG (exclamation mark). It will be every Saturday night upstairs in O'Neills and I will be the fantaboulus DJ.

What you will NOT hear:

Rihanna
    Lady Gaga
    Madonna
    Timbaland
    Spice Girls (*cough* Bradys *cough*)
    Hey Mickey
    YMCA
    Westlife
    Dolly Parton (*cough* The Roost *cough*)
    Scooter (*cough* Zinc *cough*)
    Tiesto (Story bud)

What else you won't hear
    "Sorry lads you can't come in here wearing Converse"

What you will hear;

The Kings of Leon
    The Pixies
    The Strokes
    Razorlight
    The Libertines
    Bloc Party
    Kasabian
    Soulwax
    Justice
    Empire of the sun
    The Clash
    Etc etc etc...

But I want some input...
    I want to know what the public want to hear, what you expect from such a night. Its gonna have to be danceable (is that even a word) music which cuts out some stuff but all suggestions are welcome..

If this works (and I'm fairly confident it will) we might look at putting on a similar night during the week for the student population (yeah baby!)

*The views expressed in this email are the views of djdeclan and not those of O'Neills, terms and conditions apply, the volume of the music may go up as well as down. djdeclan is authorised by the Financial Regulator to tear up your dancefloor. djdeclan cannot be held responsible for injuries sustained while dancing on said torn up dancefloor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

My mate runs an indie night in Dublin every tuesday, if you want to go in tonight let me know and Ill get you Guest list , you'll get a feel for the type of music.

Its in andrews lane theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

great idea and badly needed.if i was going (and i probably will) id expect maybe comin towards the end when people are pissed stick on some dancey stuff-hot chip, friendly fires, soulwax etc otherwise people could get bored and leave for mantra etc. dont know if you want to go down a dance route but throwing on an odd daft punk/chemical brothers/basement jaxx song would be good too. early on more indie stuff while people are drinking.

just hope it wont be a skinny jean/tea towel scarf/beanie fest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Totally agree with everything df1985 posted, throwing in some dancier stuff, would keep the floor going, stuff like boys noize, justice, hot chip, soulwax, phoenix, simian mobile disco, discovery, DJ shadow, LCD soundsytem, Presets, MSTRKRFT, Ratatat, the rapture etc., all that kinda stuff would work well with the more commercially acessible indie music

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

indiej.jpg

The new night is kicking off this Saturday (29th) in O'Neills, hopefully I'll see some of you there.

Thats a terrible poster

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    Thats a terrible poster

I'll have you know I spent a good 90 seconds working on that poster!
    Seriously though, its not a poster, its a graphic I put on a discussion forum in order to raise some awareness of the gig...

That ok hotshot?

Yeah its ok.
    Except it makes me not want to go now :(

Well if the graphic I used to promote a music event (that does not incorporate any visuals or graphics) makes you not want to go then very well, don't go.
    I'm delighted for you.

Theres no point in being annoyed about it.

You asked for input in your OP and then never responded to any of the peoples comments.

Your trying to promote your night yet you only spend 90seconds on an advertisement (that IMO looks crap)

You then try to be smart by calling me hotshot.

I think it's a great idea, Maynooth needs it!
    I also hope the night goes really well for you
    But you need to put in a bit more effort and listen to the people you just asked for advice

Point taken, I got fairly narked by your post, I hadn't noticed that you had already posted in the thread so I apologise for the smart remark.
    Point taken also that I didn't respond to anybodys comments in this thread, I posted the same thing in the NUIM thread and posted a few replies on that one. But don't think for a second that I haven't taken on board everything that has been said on both threads, I've looked up all the artists mentioned here that I didn't know already, added A LOT of music to my collection and read up on all the artists I wasn't familiar with (although thats just me being a bit of a nerd).

Anyway thanks for the replies, advice and good wishes. Hopefully I get a crowd on Saturday and everybody has a good night.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I've been informed that we will not be going ahead with this new night after all, I'd like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread with advice and encouragement, I have discovered a lot of new music over the last few weeks and I will definately be playing some of it in my sets from now on.
    I intend to push for a midweek Indie disco night when the students come back, if that happens then the boardsies will be the first to know.

If any of you are ever in O'Neills call up and say hello, its always nice to meet boards folk in the real world!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

That's a pity-would have been interested in an Indie night run by a Donegal lad (like myself) in Maynooth on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

Why pray tell is it not going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

what happened? your public deserves to know

Advertisement