Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

1117118119120121123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

its not the discussion its de topic. i wont get into this name calling because its all 2 easy.all l i can say is. and its only a wild guess because your into petty things like were 3rd or 4th in the country. your probably english and you cry when your knocked out of the world cup, and your first at the airport waving your union jack.either that or your really davy and 3rd or 4th means alot 2 you,. im probably a spastic but id still manage 2 kick seven shades of s'#t out of ya without my medication.

loling @ threatening me over the internet. cool story bro and good luck with your life goals of 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Any sign of the Senior Club championship startin back up again? Think as it stands most teams still have a chance of reaching a semi final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Round 4 of the Senior Hurling Championship;

28/08/2011

group 1;

DLS V Fourmilewater 15:30
    Abbeyside v Lismore 18:30
    Ballyduff Uppr v Stradbally 14:00

All games in Fraher Field

group 2;

27/08/2011

Ballygunner v Tallow 18:30 @ Fraher Field

28/08/2011

Roanmore v Passage 14:30
    Mount Sion v Dungarvan 16:00

Both games at Walsh Park

The last round of the championship will be played on the following weekend.

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/

Jeddah wrote: »
    Any sign of the Senior Club championship startin back up again? Think as it stands most teams still have a chance of reaching a semi final

As it stands all teams still have a chance of reaching the quarter finals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Jeddah wrote: »

Football this weekend, Hurling for next 2 weeks and then football again. Straight into the quarter finals in both then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Round 4 of the Senior Hurling Championship;

28/08/2011

group 1;

DLS V Fourmilewater 15:30
    Abbeyside v Lismore 18:30
    Ballyduff Uppr v Stradbally 14:00

All games in Fraher Field

group 2;

27/08/2011

Ballygunner v Tallow 18:30 @ Fraher Field

28/08/2011

Roanmore v Passage 14:30
    Mount Sion v Dungarvan 16:00

Both games at Walsh Park

The last round of the championship will be played on the following weekend.

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/

Just out of curiosity more than anything else but why do they insist on having a double header and then have a game later that evening? Would they not be best off just having a triple header and making it convenient for everyone!

Also, would I be right in saying that's the weekend of the Tony Forristal? Usually always the last weekend in August. I'd imagine the finals will be on the Sunday morning before the senior championship games. We're in a group with KK, Tipp and Wexford for that.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity more than anything else but why do they insist on having a double header and then have a game later that evening? Would they not be best off just having a triple header and making it convenient for everyone!

Good question and good point. I can only imagine that it is down to the gate collectors, grounds people, score board operators etc. Whats often forgotten about is that these people are often at the grounds well before the suporters and players begin to come, and sometimes there after people are gone. To have three games together can be a very long day for them, and it is only right to give them an hour or so to go and get something to eat. I know from attending Bord na nÓg County Finals over the years, staying around for three or four games without a break can get very boring and a hell of a long day.

So who's going to win the club championship this year?

Haven't seen De La Salle or Ballygunner yet, but they were definetly the best last year.

Will Lismore come good?

What about the likes of Mount Sion or Fourmilewater, both of whom appear to be going well so far this year? Or despite bad defeats could Ballyduff Uppr or Passage still have something to say? It is always an interesting championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Agree with you, Waterford are number 3 now. Waterford would be 4. More reason for change i would say.

I know that most people will say that we are the third best team with the past few years but i would say that for a short while in Justin's last few months, maybe year we were number two. I know we were not in an All-Ireland with him, but in that time Cork were on the way down, Tipp were no where near where they are now, Galway were Galway, Dublin were improving but were not as good as they are now, and Limerick like Galway were Limerick. OK they were in an All-Ireland but i dont think they would have got to it, had Waterford sought and got a few days off after the two quarter final meetings with Cork and the Limerick game. We were also League and Munster Champions in 07.

Waterford were No.2 in the country in 07, we won the league, looked like we were coasting through to the AI final until Limerick caught us in the long grass. (hate bringing that up) In the few years before that we were number 3 behind Cork & KK and the year after that in 08 when we got to the AI final we were realistically back to 3 or 4 . Tipp were probably ahead of us but we just caught them on the day in the semis

So who's going to win the club championship this year?

Haven't seen De La Salle or Ballygunner yet, but they were definetly the best last year.

Will Lismore come good?

What about the likes of Mount Sion or Fourmilewater, both of whom appear to be going well so far this year? Or despite bad defeats could Ballyduff Uppr or Passage still have something to say? It is always an interesting championship.

HArd to see past De La Salle or Ballygunner. The two would appear to be head and shoulders above the rest. As an outside bet, it could be Fourmilewater. They are playing well and have some good hurlers.

• Advertisement

Waterford were No.2 in the country in 07, we won the league, looked like we were coasting through to the AI final until Limerick caught us in the long grass. (hate bringing that up) In the few years before that we were number 3 behind Cork & KK and the year after that in 08 when we got to the AI final we were realistically back to 3 or 4 . Tipp were probably ahead of us but we just caught them on the day in the semis

Agree 100%. Would say we are 4 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

HArd to see past De La Salle or Ballygunner. The two would appear to be head and shoulders above the rest. As an outside bet, it could be Fourmilewater. They are playing well and have some good hurlers.

Would also go along with that myself, it seems it'll be between DLS and Ballygunner I'd say. Fourmile', Passage, Lismore and Tallow all capable on their day but just don't seem to have the consistency like DLS and BG do. Should be interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

DLS and Ballygunner also for me are at a different level, and I don't think any of the outsiders listed even have a chance of taking a scalp in a knockout game.

The only interesting thing will be to see how the teams have developed since 2010. Ballygunner suddenly have a heap of their young lads on the county team - O'Mahony, two O'Sullivans, O'Keefe not far off.

DLS in contrast - Jake Dillon has been quiet all year pretty much, Madigan didn't make the U21s even to my surprise, Daniels went off on a J1. Darren Russel has left the country. They'll be hoping that the mix of youth and experience which they had in 2010 will again be enough.

Big 3 in the running for the football again this year I suppose - Stradbally, Nire and Ballinacourty?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Anyone know when Tramore are building their new all weather gaa pitch. They said a few years ago they were building it but no sign of it yet. Pity given the size of the town, I’d say it’s the same population as Carrick but yet they have one very average intermediate hurling team compared to 2 senior and one intermediate teams in carrick. Better facilities at their gaa grounds might help them improve.

alllcounty wrote: »
    Anyone know when Tramore are building their new all weather gaa pitch. They said a few years ago they were building it but no sign of it yet. Pity given the size of the town, I’d say it’s the same population as Carrick but yet they have one very average intermediate hurling team compared to 2 senior and one intermediate teams in carrick. Better facilities at their gaa grounds might help them improve.

Tramore like most seaside towns will always struggle slightly. When the summer arrives a combination of the beach lifestyle and working every hour you can get takes precedence over training.

Also I think you'll see less clubs sink money into their grounds. Like everything else at the moment money is tight. I've also seen clubs plough money into facilities and nothing into coaching and structures.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Tramore like most seaside towns will always struggle slightly. When the summer arrives a combination of the beach lifestyle and working every hour you can get takes precedence over training.

Also I think you'll see less clubs sink money into their grounds. Like everything else at the moment money is tight. I've also seen clubs plough money into facilities and nothing into coaching and structures.

Still though players should make training even if at a sea side town. I know Castleknock in Dublin is not by the sea but it wasn't too long ago hurling was unheard of in that area, now they are fast becoming a serious senior hurling team fielding many teams at under age. With the right investments in the weaker areas of waterford there is no reason why bigger urban areas cant field senior hurling teams. They do seem to be getting their act together somewhat though, their minor teams operate in division 2 and their is usually coaching of younger teams anytime I pass by the area. Better facilities might help them on a bit.

Still though players should make training even if at a sea side town. I know Castleknock in Dublin is not by the sea but it wasn't too long ago hurling was unheard of in that area, now they are fast becoming a serious senior hurling team fielding many teams at under age. With the right investments in the weaker areas of waterford there is no reason why bigger urban areas cant field senior hurling teams. They do seem to be getting their act together somewhat though, their minor teams operate in division 2 and their is usually coaching of younger teams anytime I pass by the area. Better facilities might help them on a bit.

St. Brigids? Hardly a serious senior hurling team. Good football team now and again though.

Also - Tramore had improvements in hurling definitely, but would get beaten by the likes of De La Salle's second outfit. The footballers were senior, now are a poor intermediate team all of a sudden. Very up and down out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

St. Brigids? Hardly a serious senior hurling team. Good football team now and again though.

Also - Tramore had improvements in hurling definitely, but would get beaten by the likes of De La Salle's second outfit. The footballers were senior, now are a poor intermediate team all of a sudden. Very up and down out there.

I presume he is actually on about Castleknock GAA club. Yes, you are correct, they are not a force at senior hurling, but for a club that were founded in 1998, they are doing pretty well, up to division 4 hurling next year, after starting in division 8 and are one of the most consistent underage clubs in dublin, and have a feile all ireland title to their name already.
    St Brigids are a senior hurling team, in division 1, they won't be winning the county this year, but take out Ballyboden, they could beat any other team on their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Tramore GAA is currently trying to raise money for the all weather pitch, they have a sign up outside the entrance showing how much they have raised and what their target is. I can't remember the figures involved. I think they are only just over half their target at the moment.

As for the standard of Tramore hurling and football, considering the size of the town (population of about 10,000 which is larger than Dungarvan) it's a bit surprising that we don't have better teams. I dunno, maybe it's coz soccer was/is stronger. When I was growing up (80's & 90's) nearly everyone was into soccer, with only a few people playing GAA. Maybe the County Board could do more to try improve Tramore, similar to the way the GAA has helped Dublin hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Tramore GAA is currently trying to raise money for the all weather pitch, they have a sign up outside the entrance showing how much they have raised and what their target is. I can't remember the figures involved. I think they are only just over half their target at the moment.

As for the standard of Tramore hurling and football, considering the size of the town (population of about 10,000 which is larger than Dungarvan) it's a bit surprising that we don't have better teams. I dunno, maybe it's coz soccer was/is stronger. When I was growing up (80's & 90's) nearly everyone was into soccer, with only a few people playing GAA. Maybe the County Board could do more to try improve Tramore, similar to the way the GAA has helped Dublin hurling.
    sorry but davy spent any cash that was available and most of the money that was.nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Castleknock Hurling are an example of how hurling is coming in Dublin. Your man Ciaran Kilkenny from the minors is from this club and is one of the brightest prospects in the game and they have won AI feile a couple years back. There are many more Castleknocks on the rise in Dublin and if you consider the amount of numbers now playing the game and the funds at their disposal up there its actually frightening. I reckon a few years down the line Dublin will be the pace-setters and even the likes of KK should be worried.

Regarding Tramore, wasnt there some scheme started by WIT a few years back to target the game of hurling in Tramore and to develop coaching in the schools? Anyone know if this was implemented?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I can tell you for certain that soccer still takes a huge preference over gaa in Tramore. Didnt Tramore AFC win some club of the year thing shur a few weeks ago?

In what way?
    Give the club money is it? It is well reported that the County Board have little if any money. I am sure when figures become available you will find that they might be in the red by some considerable amount.

Is it to provide coaching?
    The G.A.A. are doing that. There is a number of coaching officials in the county.

Is it facilities?
    There is grants available for these from the Munster and/or central council. A sizeable portion of the cost to get into inter county games is put aside each year and paid out to clubs that apply for the grants and who have everything in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

A recent newspaper article on the amount of money being sunk into hurling by Dublin clubs, and also the benefit of GAA subsidies/ grants made interesting reading. The one that stood out for me, was that the GAA paid half the costs of a development officer for a club, with the club paying the other half. I believe this came to about €25k for a club to cough up for a development officer with the GAA coughing up the other €25k. Surely these sort of incentives are available to all clubs, and perhaps Tramore and other interested clubs should explore these options.

Reading Christy O'Connors book The Club, made it clear where the real benefits are to be reaped, or rather where the process starts, and that is with clubs having underage coaches effectively for kids under 8/ 10, and the importance of clubs working with schools to provide coaching to young kids.

Obviously the above have financial commitments not to be taken lightly, but it would seem the way for any club to go. Tramore has gone from strength to strength in recent years growth-wise, and if you look at clubs that have come out of nowhere, it is often from areas that have grown rapidly, where the throughput of kids to play the game is really there. In that vein, Tramore would seem to have tremendous potential, with a decent size chunk of the total county population.

A recent newspaper article on the amount of money being sunk into hurling by Dublin clubs, and also the benefit of GAA subsidies/ grants made interesting reading. The one that stood out for me, was that the GAA paid half the costs of a development officer for a club, with the club paying the other half. I believe this came to about €25k for a club to cough up for a development officer with the GAA coughing up the other €25k. Surely these sort of incentives are available to all clubs, and perhaps Tramore and other interested clubs should explore these options.

Reading Christy O'Connors book The Club, made it clear where the real benefits are to be reaped, or rather where the process starts, and that is with clubs having underage coaches effectively for kids under 8/ 10, and the importance of clubs working with schools to provide coaching to young kids.

Obviously the above have financial commitments not to be taken lightly, but it would seem the way for any club to go. Tramore has gone from strength to strength in recent years growth-wise, and if you look at clubs that have come out of nowhere, it is often from areas that have grown rapidly, where the throughput of kids to play the game is really there. In that vein, Tramore would seem to have tremendous potential, with a decent size chunk of the total county population.

I agree there is plenty of potential in that part of waterford to achieve better where about 9% of the county’s population reside. I guess soccer has the biggest say in the town with two soccer clubs. It’s always going to be an uphill struggle to get young people to chose hurling and continue with it as they grow up when there isn’t a history of hurling in the town. Four years ago there were 3 members of the tramore gaa club that helped waterford to its first tony forristal trophy as far as I can remember, so there is work been put in, however 4 years later there is no one from the club on the extended minor panel. If the county board targeted this area of the county for future development of hurling like Dublin are doing in areas where hurling had been nonexistent there is no reason why the next Brick or Prendergast could come from that area.

• Advertisement

Risky business. I know of a club in Wicklow called Arklow Geraldines Ballymoney. Population is a bit bigger than Tramore, otherwise similar in many ways - seaside town etc.

Soccer is probably bigger there than it is in Tramore, and they have three clubs. As the soccer is so well organised and provides regular games throughout the season, the GAA found it almost impossible to compete with them.

The GAA club fell away badly - an average intermediate outfit, won their last minor in the 1970's, and actually went about 20 years without even fielding a minor team. The schools were useless as well - I don't think the local CBS even fielded teams.

They went down the road of employing a member of the Dublin team as the GDO, and he was pretty useless I'm told. After a number of years of wasting time and money I think they've done away with him. They have made progress recently at underage, but mostly this seems to be down to dedicated club people rolling up their sleeves and getting back involved.

So, I think Tramore have a big task, particularly when soccer has a grip of the town. GDO's in my opinion can only do so much. At the end of the day they won't have the same passion for the club as club members will, and these are the people who will dictate where the future lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Risky business. I know of a club in Wicklow called Arklow Geraldines Ballymoney. Population is a bit bigger than Tramore, otherwise similar in many ways - seaside town etc.

Soccer is probably bigger there than it is in Tramore, and they have three clubs. As the soccer is so well organised and provides regular games throughout the season, the GAA found it almost impossible to compete with them.

The GAA club fell away badly - an average intermediate outfit, won their last minor in the 1970's, and actually went about 20 years without even fielding a minor team. The schools were useless as well - I don't think the local CBS even fielded teams.

They went down the road of employing a member of the Dublin team as the GDO, and he was pretty useless I'm told. After a number of years of wasting time and money I think they've done away with him. They have made progress recently at underage, but mostly this seems to be down to dedicated club people rolling up their sleeves and getting back involved.

So, I think Tramore have a big task, particularly when soccer has a grip of the town. GDO's in my opinion can only do so much. At the end of the day they won't have the same passion for the club as club members will, and these are the people who will dictate where the future lies.

What is the story with the development officers, I wonder. One would think they would be drawn from the county they work within, or is it simply a national position, whereby the GAA allocates GDO's that live closest to the area which they are appointed?

I'd imagine a bigger effect on struggling clubs in trying to attract new members and grow the club/ sport in the area, is that of the club championships playing second fiddle to the intercounty scene, and the resultant lack of regular games.

What is the story with the development officers, I wonder. One would think they would be drawn from the county they work within, or is it simply a national position, whereby the GAA allocates GDO's that live closest to the area which they are appointed?

I'd imagine a bigger effect on struggling clubs in trying to attract new members and grow the club/ sport in the area, is that of the club championships playing second fiddle to the intercounty scene, and the resultant lack of regular games.

Well you have to open it up to anyone who wants to apply, employment law would dictate that.

In the example I gave, I think that they went outside the county to get someone of a reasonably high profile - there probably wasn't anyone that well known in Wicklow at the time. however, in Dublin for example, you've got some fairly dodgy deals taking place. Clubs are hoovering up players from country areas, offering many of them jobs as GDO's. Laois in particular has been badly hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

deise_girl wrote: »
    I can tell you for certain that soccer still takes a huge preference over gaa in Tramore. Didnt Tramore AFC win some club of the year thing shur a few weeks ago?

I didn't hear about that but yeah Tramore seems to be regularly producing successful soccer teams at all levels for as long as I remember. It's the amount of soccer teams produced as well, e.g. I don't know if it's the same now, but back in my day at u11, u12 etc there would be three teams for each age level, i.e. an A, B and C team for each underage team, whereas compared to the GAA teams I'd say they barely managed one team/squad per age level.
    In what way?
    Give the club money is it?
    Is it to provide coaching?
    Is it facilities? .
    To be honest I don't know, just suggesting they do more than what they are currently doing and make Tramore a special case for improvement. If successful it would be beneficial to the whole county. Maybe they could do things like get more of the senior high profile inter county players out to help with training - things like that don't really cost much as it's just the player's giving their free time. Maybe host more tournaments in Tramore GAA. Maybe all that already goes on, I don't know. Perhaps the Tramore GAA need to be better at applying for and getting whatever grants are going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

You won't find many (if any) clubs around that can afford to splash 25k on anything these days. Fundraising on a club level is extremely hard to do and the registration and insurance costs at the start of each playing year often leave a club in the red before any teams have even set foot on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Hi everyone. Due to new post limits coming in across the site, we'll be continuing our discussion over in a brand new thread for 2012. Apparently big threads like these aren't good for the highly trained boards.ie monkeys that keep the place ticking over, so for the new year we'll have a new start.

Even if you posted just one of the thousands of comments here, a big thank you for contributing. I'm probably biased but I sure as hell can't think of a place that does Waterford GAA talk better. Over 6,000 posts and 350,000 thread views tells its own story, and I know it's going to make for some interesting reading down the years :)

See you in the new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement