Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

ken owe's us nothing, let me say that first and foremost. I dont think we will ever get as much enjoyment out of watching the Deise play without the man.
    However I feel he may have more to offer, he did very well when he came on against Tipp and even clare to a lesser extent, but in saying if there was ever a man who would do whatever it took for the waterford jersey I am sure standing down was beyond his control and did not come easy to the man.
    All the best ken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Trenchman wrote: »
    Inspirational hurler, such a pity he never won an All-Ireland.

Its not about never winning an all-ireland. Ken should be remembered for the brialliant hurler that he was and the phenomenal leader. I remember watching him playing minor and when he broke onto the Waterford senior team as a young lad. He was something special alright. Those were dark days for Waterford hurling and Waterfords resurgence as a hurling stronghold coincided with the emergence of Ken McGrath. At times he carried the county on his shoulders and hes had a brilliant career and has been a phenomenal example to young players.
    In the end his decision he feels was for the better of Waterford hurling and it must have been a brutal hard decision for him to make. I cannot speak highly enough of the guy.
    On a personal level, having played against him on numerous occasions and I can honestly say he was one of the most honest sportsmen you'll ever meet. Hed put his head where lads would put their hurley but the first man to shake you hand after the game. When you think about sportsmen like Ken you think what a pity that GAA isn't a professional sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone hear anything about Davy Fitzgerald's appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about Davy Fitzgerald's appeal?

Its been reduced to a month at a 4 hour meeting last night in croke park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Footballers play Westmeath away today. A win today could keep our promotion chances alive.(imagine teams like Tyrone, Kildare,Meath coming to play in Waterford in 2012). This football team has come along since 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Footballers play Westmeath away today. A win today could keep our promotion chances alive.(imagine teams like Tyrone, Kildare,Meath coming to play in Waterford in 2012). This football team has come along since 2009.

On WLR by any chance?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I dunno if its on Wlr but this crowd are doing decent updates
    http://twitter.com/#!/MidlandsSport
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deise_girl wrote: »
    I dunno if its on Wlr but this crowd are doing decent updates
    http://twitter.com/#!/MidlandsSport
    :)

The show does put WLR to shame. A few weeks back those interested were also able to hear the Waterford and Cavan game live on the net on the local station up in Cavan. What do we get in Waterford almost week in week out on a Saturday and Sunday, Music Programmes most of the time instead of dedicated sports shows like what other stations do.

Waterford are two points down by the Way with Thomas O'Gorman sent off for two yellow cards. The ref seems to be very whistle happy.

Just noticed you mentioned twitter. The game is on live on the radio station and they are dipping in and out to the Tipp and Offaly game.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    The show does put WLR to shame. A few weeks back those interested were also able to hear the Waterford and Cavan game live on the net on the local station up in Cavan. What do we get in Waterford almost week in week out on a Saturday and Sunday, Music Programmes most of the time instead of dedicated sports shows like what other stations do.

Waterford are two points down by the Way with Thomas O'Gorman sent off for two yellow cards. The ref seems to be very whistle happy.

Just noticed you mentioned twitter. The game is on live on the radio station and they are dipping in and out to the Tipp and Offaly game.

Feck sake, indiscipline like this is costing the team games. Uphill battle now with 14 men

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Anyone that watches Waterford regularly and has been watching Shane Walsh play would know he's best at full forward and also the best full forward we have. He's something else in the air and fast when running straight. That goal against Galway followed by two against that Kilkenny team should have been evidence enough, but of course with Fitzgerald sense seems to prevail rarely. He started there in the league last year and was scoring goals in all the Waterford Crystal games and a beaut against Galway in the league and the next thing we know hes taken out of there and Dan is thrown there. An absolute joke.

Sad to see Ken go, best centre back of the last 15 years in my view.

I think the footballers probably cant achieve promotion know but in fairness, minus Gary Hurney and Mick Ahern and whoever else in the past two games I think they'll be delighted to remain in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Terrible series of results for footballers today, especially with Limerick and Tipp winning. 4 points would have kept them up in 2010, but they'll need one more result to avoid relegation.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Terrible series of results for footballers today, especially with Limerick and Tipp winning. 4 points would have kept them up in 2010, but they'll need one more result to avoid relegation.

Agree with the bad results today, but Offaly and Louth have to come to Fraher Field. Anyone that knows anything about football in Waterford will know that Waterford are hard to beat at the venue so that is something going for them. The bad news however is that it was Tipp who beat Offaly today and Limerick beat Louth and they will want to bounce back in the next two rounds with victories so will be well up for it when they come to Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

On todays performance, we'll definitely get a result against either Louth or Offaly. We were the better team for large spells of the game. O' Gormans sending off was silly by him, but the game was essentially ruined by the ref, who blew for the most ridiculous frees imaginable. Five points kind of flatters Westmeath, only got the goal very late on and we had a goal chance to level it with two to go brilliantly stopped. A gutsy display which should hopefully spur them on to get the win that keeps them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

the next day out (v offaly in fraher field) is crucial.
    this is how tight it is - if cavan, limerick, waterford and tipperary all win in round 6 (four home wins, not impossible), the table will read:
    wexford 8 pts
    offaly, waterford, limerick, louth, tipperary all 6 pts
    westmeath and cavan both 5 pts

Interesting to see DJ Careys article in the News of The World. Thinks Ken McGraths decision was rash and premature and that it was based on performing poorly on a couple of league games. He states that the league matters little really and and when the ground hardens up in the summer and players are in better ship lads like Ken would fly at it again. Anyways, no turning back it seems.

• Advertisement

the next day out (v offaly in fraher field) is crucial.
    this is how tight it is - if cavan, limerick, waterford and tipperary all win in round 6 (four home wins, not impossible), the table will read:
    wexford 8 pts
    offaly, waterford, limerick, louth, tipperary all 6 pts
    westmeath and cavan both 5 pts

Agree 100%. Last year when Waterford played a crucial game against Clare at Fraher Field in the League over 2,000 people turned out to shout on the team team and the support generated made a huge difference. Prior to this game the atmosphere at many of the games was dead but it was fairly electric for the clare game, the result a brilliant performance turned in by the home side.

It would be nice when Offaly and Louth visit Dungarvan in the coming weeks that similar numbers or even bigger numbers would turn out and support the team. They deserve the support of every GAA fan in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

DJ Carey obviously isn´t aware of how serious Kens long-term injuries are, I´m sure he wouldn´t have gone if he wasn´t sure.

Wouldn´t it be something else if the footballers went up again?

does anybody on here have any idea what is going on with Ballyduff Lower GAA club --- I see in the results almost every week that they have given walkovers in lots of underage grades .... surely with Kilmeaden´s new houses they have a big enough pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

comeraghs wrote: »
    DJ Carey obviously isn´t aware of how serious Kens long-term injuries are, I´m sure he wouldn´t have gone if he wasn´t sure.

Wouldn´t it be something else if the footballers went up again?

does anybody on here have any idea what is going on with Ballyduff Lower GAA club --- I see in the results almost every week that they have given walkovers in lots of underage grades .... surely with Kilmeaden´s new houses they have a big enough pick!

At minor football they seem to be conceding matchs. Should be able to field teams as it is only 12 aside in division 4. However they are more a hurling club so I guess football doesn't really matter. There are alot of new houses gone up in Kilmeaden in last 10 years but will be a while before they see improvements in numbers and standards at minor. They should have stayed with Butlerstown. Were a decent outfit when they were joined up years ago, minor A football champions in 1999 and producing some good hurling teams with players like Jack Kennedy, John O leary etc. They could also do with a new pitch. Kildarmody or should i say Tom Cheasty park is a wet bog, hard for the younger members to train if the field is allready in use with the adult team. However they are putting work in at under age so in another 2 years they should be fielding decent minor teams and walkovers will be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone going from Waterford to the match next Sunday against Kilkenny in the NHL.

Nowlan Park is not too far from Waterford City now with the new road open.

Anyone remember the Ticket Fiasco in 2008 when the league match between Kilkenny/Waterford was an all ticket game in Nowlan Park (remember Waterford got a hammering that day because Brick got sent off early in the game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'll be heading up myself (in hope more than expectation tbh!). Hate playing them in Nowlan Park, not a happy hunting ground for us in recent years. On top of the usual abuse from the locals too. :rolleyes:

I remember that game alright, it was a harsh red card for a trip on a KK player IIRC. I don't recall it being that packed but then again it was three years ago.
    We're kinda going into this game without much to lose so we may as well just give it a lash. We won't get relegated and if we win we'd be in with a good shout to get to the league final. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lads where do ye think Eoin Kelly is going to be used/should be used in the Championship? And do ye reckon he'll be left on frees or will Richie stay on them. I'd be in favour of Kelly being taken off them tbh, on his day he's very accurate but I think he doesn't have that ice cool temperament that say a Shefflin has where you just know he's pop over a free from the 65 in the last minute of an All Ireland if he needed to.

Kelly is very infuriating. I think he's wasted in the full forward line and he gets agitated in there when he doesn't get much ball. He has as much talent as anyone in the land and I think he needs to be involved out the field as much as possible. I wonder how he'd go at centre forward? His last really good showing was the semi we lost to KK 2009, he was unreal that day when he was moved out to the wing. If we are to have any chance fo an All Ireland we need him happy and firing on all cylinders - if we do we have a real game winner on our hands. Taking him off frees I think might force him to increase his contributions from open play which have declined quite a bit.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Lads where do ye think Eoin Kelly is going to be used/should be used in the Championship?

Kelly can play anywhere from number 8 to 15. Tbh hes the kind of player who will never really settle in any position for 70 minutes. Thats probably a positive for Waterford that if hes not going well in the half forwards you can throw him into the inside line and you know hell cause problems for the opposition. Hes also shown he can be hugely effective as a third midfielder or a sweeper aswell so he gives massive options. Look it, like him or loathe him the man is a class act and if hes not on form then were up against it. Hes probably best in the half forwards but hes a unique player in the sence that theres not much point including him in a game plan. He'll just do his own thing anyway because hes that good. As for the frees, I think when hes on them it brings him into the game more.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Lads where do ye think Eoin Kelly is going to be used/should be used in the Championship? And do ye reckon he'll be left on frees or will Richie stay on them. I'd be in favour of Kelly being taken off them tbh, on his day he's very accurate but I think he doesn't have that ice cool temperament that say a Shefflin has where you just know he's pop over a free from the 65 in the last minute of an All Ireland if he needed to.

Kelly is very infuriating. I think he's wasted in the full forward line and he gets agitated in there when he doesn't get much ball. He has as much talent as anyone in the land and I think he needs to be involved out the field as much as possible. I wonder how he'd go at centre forward? His last really good showing was the semi we lost to KK 2009, he was unreal that day when he was moved out to the wing. If we are to have any chance fo an All Ireland we need him happy and firing on all cylinders - if we do we have a real game winner on our hands. Taking him off frees I think might force him to increase his contributions from open play which have declined quite a bit.

I'd leave him off free's. Hopefully that will force him to earn his keep on the team, think free taking making him complacent. Great player on his day but if he is not in the mood you might aswell be playing with 14 men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'll be heading up myself (in hope more than expectation tbh!). Hate playing them in Nowlan Park, not a happy hunting ground for us in recent years. On top of the usual abuse from the locals too. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we've a pretty brutal record against them in Nowlan Park:

Kilkenny-NHL-Away-Record-1951-2010.jpg

On a more positive note, I'm going on Sunday and the only time I've been before, we won. That was a good day. Relax folks, it's in the bag! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Yea they are the kings of hurling. Cleaning up at minor, U21, intermediate and senior. I take it tickets are €13 at the ticket boxes outside the ground. Should give them a good game. Waterford panel is stronger now than it ever has been. Kilkenny forwards are better than ours though. Need to be tuned in from the very start, dont want to be down 2-3 to no score after only 9mins like the galway game. Nolan park is a good ground, seated all the way around except behind one of the goals, very close to to the pitch so perfect viewing.

Cake Man wrote: »

I remember that game alright, it was a harsh red card for a trip on a KK player IIRC. I don't recall it being that packed but then again it was three years ago.
    We're kinda going into this game without much to lose so we may as well just give it a lash. We won't get relegated and if we win we'd be in with a good shout to get to the league final. Here's hoping.

What exactly do our rivals say? i never saw any hassle at the games ive been to in Nowlan Park. Hopefully we shut them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

deiseach wrote: »
    Yeah, we've a pretty brutal record against them in Nowlan Park:

Kilkenny-NHL-Away-Record-1951-2010.jpg

On a more positive note, I'm going on Sunday and the only time I've been before, we won. That was a good day. Relax folks, it's in the bag! :D

Ah I remember that day, must have been 12 or 13 years old! Great game. They battered us in the first half but we somehow managed to turn it around. I recall Flynn was on fire that day for us. Same again Sunday please!
    What exactly do our rivals say? i never saw any hassle at the games ive been to in Nowlan Park. Hopefully we shut them up.

Go up Sunday and you'll find out! :pac:
    Ah no there wouldn't be any hassle, it's just a hostile place to go wearing any colours bar black and amber, not the most welcoming place around!

[QUOTE
    Go up Sunday and you'll find out! :pac:
    Ah no there wouldn't be any hassle, it's just a hostile place to go wearing any colours bar black and amber, not the most welcoming place around![/QUOTE]

Much the same hostility when they wear black and amber in Waterford, there a cocky crowd. Thet are was a thread on Waterford City fourm about it before.

If somebody wore a Tipp jersey in Kilkenny i'd bet they be quiet then!!

Kelly can play anywhere from number 8 to 15. Tbh hes the kind of player who will never really settle in any position for 70 minutes. Thats probably a positive for Waterford that if hes not going well in the half forwards you can throw him into the inside line and you know hell cause problems for the opposition. Hes also shown he can be hugely effective as a third midfielder or a sweeper aswell so he gives massive options. Look it, like him or loathe him the man is a class act and if hes not on form then were up against it. Hes probably best in the half forwards but hes a unique player in the sence that theres not much point including him in a game plan. He'll just do his own thing anyway because hes that good. As for the frees, I think when hes on them it brings him into the game more.

That you eoin?? Personally I don't think the man deserves a startin place, shows up one year in every three, scores one or two amazing goals and then people start talking about how amazing he is again, all Ireland semi final, middle of august and could not even pick up the ball, enough said.

• Advertisement

What makes Kilkenny's greatest Rivals in the eyes of some. Surely our greatest rivals are Cork, followed by Tipperary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What makes Kilkenny's greatest Rivals in the eyes of some. Surely our greatest rivals are Cork, followed by Tipperary.

Definitely agree with you Tom. Our rivalry Cork in recent times has been epic with so many great matches, this coupled with playing them in so many championships at all levels and the close proximity maks them our main rivals, although I'm sure in their eyes Tipp and KK would be their rivals.

I can understand everyone wanting to beat KK, after all they are the modern yardstick by which to measure any team. Also for city dewellers there is a geographical rivalry, however we dont play KK all that often in the Championship and for definite most people in KK (apart from some down the very south of the county) would genuinely love to see Waterford win an all Ireland as long as they werent playing KK in the final.

It's been a long time since we beat the cats in the championship. We have beaten everyone else since but not the cats. They have been the thorn in our Foot in the chase of Liam McCarthy. Theyre the last team to beat before we can accept ourselves as a hurling superpowe and until we beat them they will see us as mere pretenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

O Riain wrote: »
    It's been a long time since we beat the cats in the championship. We have beaten everyone else since but not the cats. They have been the thorn in our Foot in the chase of Liam McCarthy. Theyre the last team to beat before we can accept ourselves as a hurling superpowe and until we beat them they will see us as mere pretenders.

We're quiet a long long way away from this unfortunately, and beating KK in the championship wont confirm it either. Only a sustained period of success across all grades would put us into superpower category. Only Cork, Tipp and Kilkenny are there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

we don't really see waterford as rivals - just opponents really!

just joking

KevIRL wrote: »
    We're quiet a long long way away from this unfortunately, and beating KK in the championship wont confirm it either. Only a sustained period of success across all grades would put us into superpower category. Only Cork, Tipp and Kilkenny are there.

Historically I agree we are not a super power but we have won 4 munsters and a league in the last ten years. Without an all Ireland I won't be bigging ourselves up too much but we are undoubtably team no. 3 in Ireland. Personanly I think that constitutes a a current superpower. But certainly not historically. Sure only thing separating us from tipp in ten years(not counting 2001) is ONE all Ireland, but then again, to waterford one all Ireland is a life time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

hey does anyone know when any of the following will be back for the déise footballers -
    gary hurney
    liam ó lionáin
    mick ahern
    shane briggs (was the injury last sunday serious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 mac20v

That you eoin?? Personally I don't think the man deserves a startin place, shows up one year in every three, scores one or two amazing goals and then people start talking about how amazing he is again, all Ireland semi final, middle of august and could not even pick up the ball, enough said.

x2

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

hey does anyone know when any of the following will be back for the déise footballers -
    gary hurney
    liam ó lionáin
    mick ahern
    shane briggs (was the injury last sunday serious)
    Gary - never?
    Liam - started light training.
    Mick - 4/5 weeks.
    Briggs - he has the flu.

• Advertisement

Et Cetera wrote: »
    Gary - never?
    Liam - started light training.
    Mick - 4/5 weeks.
    Briggs - he has the flu.

He not playing with the footballers anymore?

Definitely not this year and unlikely again

Definitely not this year and unlikely again

Really? what happened there? injury or a falling out with management?

Really? what happened there? injury or a falling out with management?
    Too many shoulder injuries.. 3 in as many years afaik? Absolutely no falling out.

Too many shoulder injuries.. 3 in as many years afaik? Absolutely no falling out.

That's a pity to hear, he a good player for them, thought he would have had an impact playing with the hurlers, but that didnt last long.

That's a pity to hear, he a good player for them, thought he would have had an impact playing with the hurlers, but that didnt last long.
    edit:

Much better footballer

;)

• Advertisement

No its not and I have no connection with the guy dont know him. I know hes tempermental and proboably hard to handle from a managers point of view but I would argue that aside from Mullane hes the most talented hurler we have. Are we really in a position to be brushing felahs like him aside? I dont think so we are not Cork, KK, Galway or Tipp when it comes to numbers and if we are to seriously challenge again this year we need Kelly on top of his game

No its not and I have no connection with the guy dont know him. I know hes tempermental and proboably hard to handle from a managers point of view but I would argue that aside from Mullane hes the most talented hurler we have. Are we really in a position to be brushing felahs like him aside? I dont think so we are not Cork, KK, Galway or Tipp when it comes to numbers and if we are to seriously challenge again this year we need Kelly on top of his game

When I see the man have 3 half decent games in a row I will agree with you, he is consistently inconsistent and is never to be relied on. Gone are the days of waterford players socrin 1-4 one day and nothing the next.

It's been a long time since we beat the cats in the championship.

But in saying that, we have not played them all that much in the championship in between have we. 1963, 1998, 2008, 2009 and i know there was one if not two more years but cant think which off the top of my head. Prior to 1959 i think we played them once - 1957.

KevIRL wrote: »

Agreed. Unfortunatly when we will beat them in the championship there will be many that will consider Waterford to be a superpower in hurling and expect us to win things for years to come. In truth as you say we are a long way from been a super power and have a lot of catching up to do with Kilkenny, Tipperary and Cork. Ok we can beat them on a given day, but the wins have to be coming constantly over a long period before we in Waterford can even think of been a super power in hurling. And as you say it has to be in all grades from under 14 up, not just in senior. Galway win a lot at underage but not a lot at senior and would have more of a right to think themselves to be a power of the game more than what we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

But in saying that, we have not played them all that much in the championship in between have we. 1963, 1998, 2008, 2009 and i know there was one if not two more years but cant think which off the top of my head. Prior to 1959 i think we played them once - 1957.
    There was 2004 as well. Oddly enough, if you took our aggregate score against Kilkenny before 2008 we came out ahead - lost by 1 point in 1957, 3 points in 1963, 1 point in 1998 and 3 points in 2004, but won by 10 in 1959. Then 2008 happened . . . er, let's just forget about it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement