Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Deise Tom wrote: »

But in saying that, we have not played them all that much in the championship in between have we. 1963, 1998, 2008, 2009 and i know there was one if not two more years but cant think which off the top of my head. Prior to 1959 i think we played them once - 1957.

98 and 04 we should have beaten Kilkenny, especially 04, Kilkenny won nothing that year, i guess we were caught in the backlash by them after they lost to Wexford in the Leinster Semi Final, what a game that was, Michael Jacob getting the winning goal and Brian Cody throwing his hat to the ground!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

This idea of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary forming a trio of hurling superpowers with Waterford at a lower level does not stand up to scrutiny. In the last ten years, Waterford have played Cork eleven times in the championship, with Waterford winning five, Cork four and two draws. In the same period, Waterford played Tipperary six times in the championship and won four. Thus, overall, Waterford hold the whip hand over both counties in terms of championship meetings in this period.

True, both Cork and Tipp won two All-Irelands over the decade, but in my view there is currently just one superpower - Kilkenny - and Waterford are entitled to at least equal status with Cork and Tipperary as a hurling power based on recent results against these two counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Giveitfong wrote: »
    This idea of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary forming a trio of hurling superpowers with Waterford at a lower level does not stand up to scrutiny. In the last ten years, Waterford have played Cork eleven times in the championship, with Waterford winning five, Cork four and two draws. In the same period, Waterford played Tipperary six times in the championship and won four. Thus, overall, Waterford hold the whip hand over both counties in terms of championship meetings in this period.

True, both Cork and Tipp won two All-Irelands over the decade, but in my view there is currently just one superpower - Kilkenny - and Waterford are entitled to at least equal status with Cork and Tipperary as a hurling power based on recent results against these two counties.

All very logical, but it's not an opinion I'd spout outside these (fire)walls. The trolls would be all over you like a rash

Little Shan out for four weeks:
    Waterford's Maurice Shanahan is set to miss the remainder of the Allianz Hurling League due to a broken finger.

The 20-year-old is expected to be sidelined for four weeks after picking up the injury during a training game on Tuesday evening.

The Lismore man, who featured at left-corner-forward this season, is set to miss the matches against Kilkenny, Offaly and Galway.

Waterford face Kilkenny this Sunday in Nowlan Park, trailing the Cats by one point in the Division, while they are two points off Dublin who top the standings on seven points

I'm not exactly crushed by this news. He's a fine hurler, but am I the only one concerned we don't seem to be seeing a transition from boy to man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

deiseach wrote: »
    Little Shan out for four weeks:

I'm not exactly crushed by this news. He's a fine hurler, but am I the only one concerned we don't seem to be seeing a transition from boy to man?

In fairness it's still a blow. Before the injury I would've said it was touch-and-go whether he'd make the starting XV against Limerick, so missing the last 3 league games doesn't do his cause any favours.

Daysha wrote: »
    In fairness it's still a blow. Before the injury I would've said it was touch-and-go whether he'd make the starting XV against Limerick, so missing the last 3 league games doesn't do his cause any favours.

Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Giveitfong wrote: »

Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp are justifiably termed superpowers of the game due to a long history of All Ireland success. We sadly have no such claim to fame and as a result are in the 2nd tier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Daysha wrote: »

He's still only 20 in fairness. Plenty time for him to improve and I think he will. I was impressed with him against Cork the last day so its unfortunate that hes out after coming into a bit of form. Any word on O'Halloran when is he due back? Im looking forward to seeing him get some gametime in the league hes got bags of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

For anyone travelling up to the match on Sunday, there are roadworks on the ringroad in kilkenny this week and next week, not sure what the situation will be Sunday but I suggest taking the Durrow exit from the motorway and approaching Nowlan park via the Hebron road.

For anyone travelling up to the match on Sunday, there are roadworks on the ringroad in kilkenny this week and next week, not sure what the situation will be Sunday but I suggest taking the Durrow exit from the motorway and approaching Nowlan park via the Hebron road.

Good catch, thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

What do ye think of the younger lads so far in the league lads? Power is solid on the goal and SOK looked good and saved us against Limerick. D.Fives is looking like a certainty for Limerick it would be harsh to drop him after a flying start. Pitty we haven't seen much of Shane, but hopefully he'l get another run when back from injury. I know the man is a living legend, but I'm pleased to say Tony Browne won't just walk back onto this team! Pauric Mahony has shown some signs of his pure talent but I don't think he'l make the championship team, he's a bit light yet. We haven't seen enough of older brother Philip to judge but he has been earmarked. Eamonn Murphy definitely isn't up to it this year but I sincerely hope he proves me wrong. Anybody know why Martin O'Neill hasn't been getting a run? Along with Philip Mahony he was the star of that Munster winning minor team in 09.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Kilkenny team if any of ye are interested:

The Kilkenny team to play Waterford in the Allianz Hurling League game in Nowlan Park on Sunday 27th March at 2.30pm has been announced. The team is as follows 1. David Herity Dunnamaggin, 2. Michael Kavanagh St. Lachtain's, 3.Noel Hickey Dunnamaggin, 4.John Dalton Carrickshock, 5. Tommy Walsh, 6. Brian Hogan O'Loughlin Gaels Captain, 7. J.J. Delaney Fenians, 8. Eoin Larkin James Stephens, 9. James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick Ballyhale Shamrocks10. Aidan Fogarty Emeralds, 11.Michael Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks, 12. John Mulhall St. Martin's, 13. Eddie Brennan Graig Ballycallan, 14. Richie Hogan, Danesfort, 15.Colin Fennelly Shamrocks.
    Subs. 16. P.J. Ryan Fenians, 17. Colin Mc Grath St. Martin's, 18. Conor Fogarty Erin's Own, 19. P.J. Delaney Fenians, 20.T.J. Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks 21. Pat Hartley Tullogher Rosbercon, 22. Niall Walsh Slieverue, 23. Mathew Ruth James Stephens, 24. Paddy Hogan Danesfort, 25. Michael Murphy Erin's Own, 26. Eoin Murphy Glenmore

From Kilkennygaa.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

Apologies, I meant SOK saved us against Wexford.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

adrian522 wrote: »

The Kilkenny team to play Waterford in the Allianz Hurling League game in Nowlan Park on Sunday 27th March at 2.30pm has been announced. The team is as follows 1. David Herity Dunnamaggin, 2. Michael Kavanagh St. Lachtain's, 3.Noel Hickey Dunnamaggin, 4.John Dalton Carrickshock, 5. Tommy Walsh, 6. Brian Hogan O'Loughlin Gaels Captain, 7. J.J. Delaney Fenians, 8. Eoin Larkin James Stephens, 9. James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick Ballyhale Shamrocks10. Aidan Fogarty Emeralds, 11.Michael Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks, 12. John Mulhall St. Martin's, 13. Eddie Brennan Graig Ballycallan, 14. Richie Hogan, Danesfort, 15.Colin Fennelly Shamrocks.
    Subs. 16. P.J. Ryan Fenians, 17. Colin Mc Grath St. Martin's, 18. Conor Fogarty Erin's Own, 19. P.J. Delaney Fenians, 20.T.J. Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks 21. Pat Hartley Tullogher Rosbercon, 22. Niall Walsh Slieverue, 23. Mathew Ruth James Stephens, 24. Paddy Hogan Danesfort, 25. Michael Murphy Erin's Own, 26. Eoin Murphy Glenmore

From Kilkennygaa.ie

It's fair to say - that's a strong enough team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Agreed, very strong team. Nearly all the usual championship starters. We'll be in for an afternoon of it if we're not at our very best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some strange positions though e.g. Larkin in mid field in Richie Hogan at FF. A few obvious switches available if things are not going well.

Surprised to see Hogan thrown in so quickly after the All Ireland disappointment but I guess he's needed with tyrell out injured.

I've heard that cha is doing very well in training and really putting the effort in this year so he may be one to watch on Sunday. Hopefully its a good day and we get a good game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

adrian522 wrote: »

From Kilkennygaa.ie

And the Waterford line out is ...............................

were still waiting. Would love to know whats the delay, because the team is gone in for the programme. Why cant it be named on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thursday at the very latest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

were still waiting. Would love to know whats the delay, because the team is gone in for the programme. Why cant it be named on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thursday at the very latest.

yeah, this kind of crap annoys me. It's a lge game and you can make changes, why the secrecy?

When Justin was there least he named the team on Thursday before the game on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

STIG83 wrote: »
    When Justin was there least he named the team on Thursday before the game on Sunday.

True, not much point reading the teamsheet then though. There would be a raft of positional switches from the programme!!!!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    yeah, this kind of crap annoys me. It's a lge game and you can make changes, why the secrecy?

It annoys a lot of people to be honest. While Davy and his selectors have to take a certain amout of flack for not naming the team early in the week, so too should our county board for not making the selectors name the team. The matter has been brought up a few times at County Board meeting but little seem to be done. You cant but wonder what is happening. Are the Officers telling the selectors that people are not happy with them delaying naming a team, are they ignoring what they are been told or if they are are the selectors showing total disregard to the County Board Officers and to the Clubs that are highlighting that people are not happy. The answers to these questions we dont know.

The real culprits however are those wearing the suits and blazers in offices and attending meetings at provincial and national level. If they were serious (and i doubt some of them are) about promoting our games they would introduce a rule which would require a manager/county board to publish a team so many days before a game and let people who write and talk about our games in the in the local and national media the chance to talk up a game, focusing in maybe on a number of players and how player A will do marking Player B and so on and what other options the selectors would have if things are not going as they would like. Would they make county boards publish the team if for example Allianz decided to pull the plug on their sponsorship of the Leagues and another one could not be found, all because the G.A.A. mostly at national level do not market their games as they should.

We have people in offices and in various positions in Croke Park, In the Munster Council Offices, in the Leinster Council offices etc dreaming up stupid rules every few weeks and then chop and change these rules every so often to suit themselves. If an official was to run onto a field during a game with a bottle of water and offer it to a player these same officials are more than happy to fine a club (thankfully we dont see it happen in this county) or a County Board for pitch encroachments or what ever they want to call it, but they cant come up with a rule which would force a team to be named maybe five or six days before a game and fine team or county boards if they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Team for towmorrow is
    SOK
    D Fives W Hutchinson N Connors
    D O Sullivan Brick J Nagle
    Moran Foley
    S Molumphy S Prendergast P O Mahoney
    J Mullane S Walsh T Ryan

cascade12 wrote: »
    Team for towmorrow is
    SOK
    D Fives W Hutchinson N Connors
    D O Sullivan Brick J Nagle
    Moran Foley
    S Molumphy S Prendergast P O Mahoney
    J Mullane S Walsh T Ryan

Nagle and Moran to switch???

Doubt it. Davy has a thing about Moran in the forwards. If anything, he may switch with Molumphy. I also heard Daniels has left the panel.

Doubt it. Davy has a thing about Moran in the forwards. If anything, he may switch with Molumphy. I also heard Daniels has left the panel.
    Did you hear why?

• Advertisement

Did you hear why?
    No

Did you hear why?

Didn't he do the same last year?

Moran was one of if not the best half backs in club hurling in Munster in 2010 and to play him any place else is madness. Would look like any fellow doing so does not really know what they are doing or try and F*** him up some way.

I agree 100% about Moran. He was back to his confident best at Centre Back for his club after a couple of mediocre years in the forwards and dont forget he was the best CB in the country at underage level. With all due respect to D O Sullivan and J Nagle, Moran is on a different level to them at half back. But Davy has convinced himself that he is a forward.I hope I am wrong but I am not too confident about this year, some very strange decisions, Moran, starting Ken at CF in his first game back ( does anyone else think this was a set up ), waiting almost 2 years to put Shane Walsh in his best position FF, the exclusion of Dean Towmey the best midfielder in the club championship last year off the panel, the inclusion of Bryan O Sullivan on the panel and Daniels the best wing back in the Club Championship last year now also gone off the panel.
    Do Bennett and Fanning have any say or is it just a one man show?

I agree 100% about Moran. He was back to his confident best at Centre Back for his club after a couple of mediocre years in the forwards and dont forget he was the best CB in the country at underage level. With all due respect to D O Sullivan and J Nagle, Moran is on a different level to them at half back. But Davy has convinced himself that he is a forward.I hope I am wrong but I am not too confident about this year, some very strange decisions, Moran, starting Ken at CF in his first game back ( does anyone else think this was a set up ), waiting almost 2 years to put Shane Walsh in his best position FF, the exclusion of Dean Towmey the best midfielder in the club championship last year off the panel, the inclusion of Bryan O Sullivan on the panel and Daniels the best wing back in the Club Championship last year now also gone off the panel.
    Do Bennett and Fanning have any say or is it just a one man show?

Everyone knows I have had my doubts about Davy in the past few years and if Davy places Kevin Moran anyplace other than in the half back line this year (Including today) I really would be asking questions not just of him but those that appointed him. Moran is an out and out half back. As i said earlier on, he was one of the best there in the club championship last year not just in this county but in Munster and maybe even in all of Ireland. When in the past DLS were playing him in the half forwards probabally because Davy was doing it, i said it to one or two within the De La Salle Club that their selectors were mad to play him there and they agreed with me, but they could not say that in public. Moving him to the half backs last year in no small part helped them win their second county and munster titles in three seasons.

I too think that in 2011 we are not going to do as well as we may like. I hope to God I am wrong in saying that. I would question the Management teams decission to let some of the older players off playing in the early season again this year. Last year i think for the likes of Dan to not play early in the year, he found it hard to come back in towards the end of the league and for the championship and had he played a few more games in the league we might have seen a different Dan in the Championship and maybe, just maybe he might still be around this year, even if it was only as an impact sub. I feel the same could apply with people like Eoin Murphy this year. Over the past few years he has been consistantly one of our best players but he could find it tough to come back in now and maybe if numbers were to be cut might not even make the panel at all because of the form of the likes of Connors and Fives inn the corners. This would be very tough on a player that was not given the chance to prove himself. In saying this giving the younger players a chance to play has to be welcomed but the older players also have to be given the same opportunity to stake their place in the team by playing in competitive matches.

As i said i have serious questions/doubts about Davy. As you point out playing Ken in the middle of the field against Cork last time should get people thinking. For God sake what was the man thinking off. If he was to play Ken that day it should have been at wing back with Moran in the middle, and placing the Brick in Centre Field or Centre Forward with Molumphy moving to Centre Field if Brick Walsh was at Centre Forward. If Ken was placed in the half back line against Cork would he be watching the rest of the games this year from the stand or at home/in a pub or where ever on the television. When he was moved against Cork it was too late.

Davy thinking Moran is a forward and waiting till now to put Shane Walsh on the edge of the square should also put a person thinking as should his placing of Aidan Kearney for so long on Sheflin a few years ago. You have to wonder what he is playing at and what his game is. On the other hand he might be a genius (I am sure some will argue that he is) and my problem might be that i never had to good fortune to play a hurling match in my life and as a result do not know anything about the game. I am sure some will say that this could be the case.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads wait for the match to start first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice crowd building here in Rowland park already for this

Sad to hear of the death of Andy Fleming, the last surviving member of the Waterford All-Ireland winning team from 1948.

And after all that, Kevin Moran is named in the backs. Fair play lads :)

302car7.jpg

via DeiseHurling

ht kk 0-10 V 0-06 waterford - not a bad first half. ( tip 7 V 6 cork)

Same old story with the long balls. It's bad enough when we just don't have the ball winners in the forward line but it's even worse when they're trying to compete with Kilkenny in the air. Richie's frees have kept us in it and in fairness to him he's having a great game, but the amount of space we're giving them in the middle of the field needs to be addressed.

Stephen O Keefe caught out with the high ball twice. Looking like Clinton will be number one again when we play Limerick

deisedude wrote: »
    Stephen O Keefe caught out with the high ball twice. Looking like Clinton will be number one again when we play Limerick

basically the difference - on the scoreboard.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    ht kk 0-10 V 0-06 waterford - not a bad first half. ( tip 7 V 6 cork)

Not a great one i thought.

Reports are that Molumphy left the ground at the break. They were talking about it on Radio One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not a great one i thought.

Reports are that Molumphy left the ground at the break. They were talking about it on Radio One.

Anything in that?

Just back from Nowlan Park now, it wasn't the best of games. Littered with mistakes all game from both sides and some poor wides. I don't think I've seen Kilkenny play as bad, very unlike them but they managed to finish strongly and I think that was the difference.
    In fairness to us, we played well at times and made life difficult for KK. Some really good individual performances by Richie, Moran and Nagle. Shane Walsh did well (took his goal very well) and young Darragh Fives consolidated his growing reputation. Hutchinson was solid at full back, I think he could have that position nailed for championship. He attacked the ball well today and made some good clearances. David O' Sullivan didn't do too bad too and scored a nice point off his left late on. Mullane was average. I thought it was a bit suicidal putting young Pauric Mahony on JJ Delaney, then on Brian Hogan. He was never going to win much there but he tried in fairness to him. Tommy Ryan had a quiet game. A few runs but not much else. Eoin Kelly replaced Mahony but didn't really get much, hit a shot wide from a scoreable position when we needed a score late on. O' Keeffe did ok I thought. Made a good save but one or two puck outs went astray and straight back over his bar but I'd still have plenty to be optimistic about him.

All in all I was pleased enough with the effort, we worked hard and had we put away a few of the wides and not gave the ball away cheaply/messed around with the ball, we could of won it. The goals were disappointing to concede, high balls in that just trickled over the line. I thought a 6 point win for KK flattered them, late goal made it look as though they won comfortably but that wasn't the case.

Disappointing that our last two league games mean little and we can't reach the final but it'll give us a few games to get a better picture of the team for June 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Personally I thought it was a poor game today with both sides under performing in my opinion. As for the story about Molumphy there has been no reports about it in the different sports news I heard on the radio this evening.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Anything in that?

Heard while ago on Radio one that he was called up for a some tour of duty with the army. I could be wrong but i think they said to Poland. A strange move i thought. To start him knowing that he was going to have to go at the break (if this is the case) was a strange call by the selectors and a total waste of a sub. Supose near the end Waterford were a point down or even a point up and all five subs were put on including the sub for Molumphy, and one of the other players was to pick up a serious injury which required him to have to come off the field for the remainder of the game. What would we do. Give Kilkenny a man advantage? Nothing surprises me however in the last few years when it comes to picking the Waterford team.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Personally I thought it was a poor game today with both sides under performing in my opinion. As for the story about Molumphy there has been no reports about it in the different sports news I heard on the radio this evening.

Radio One definatly had it and had Ken McGrath on after the game to quiz him on the story amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Very, very poor performance. KK were miles off their best an yet when they needed to they upped it a gear and we never looked like getting the goal we needed at 1 16 to 1 13.
    Our touch is atrocious, how many times did a waterford player fail to pick first time today? time after time players failing to control first time.
    Also aimless ball into the forwards playing into the full backs hands. No semblance of a gameplan. Half forwards cleaned out of it for the majority of the game.
    Overall as poor a performance as ive seen from them in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Sad to hear of the death of Andy Fleming, the last surviving member of the Waterford All-Ireland winning team from 1948.
    I knew Andy from the Waterford-Tramore CIÉ bus. A lovely man. He must've been in his nineties. RIP, Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Radio One definatly had it and had Ken McGrath on after the game to quiz him on the story amongst other things.
    I wasn't doubting the story 1 bit Deise Tom,no other station had the story mo chara. Strange to be playing him with a tour of duty impending on him?

Guramoogah wrote: »
    I knew Andy from the Waterford-Tramore CIÉ bus. A lovely man. He must've been in his nineties. RIP, Andy.

95 Next Birthday.

I remember reading in a Suplement that was in the Dungarvan People Paper before the All-Ireland that he was Born on Easter Monday 1916, but i think from the date given elsewhere for his birthdate it appears he was born a week or so before the Historical date.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    I wasn't doubting the story 1 bit Deise Tom,no other station had the story mo chara. Strange to be playing him with a tour of duty impending on him?

Setanta are reporting the Story now.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/03/271/Kilkenny-v-Waterford/gnid-91261/

Not a great game today at all. Both sides disappointing overall. Thought that we looked solid in both back lines and the midfield but we really lacked a scoring threat

• Advertisement

Heard while ago on Radio one that he was called up for a some tour of duty with the army. I could be wrong but i think they said to Poland. A strange move i thought. To start him knowing that he was going to have to go at the break (if this is the case) was a strange call by the selectors and a total waste of a sub. Supose near the end Waterford were a point down or even a point up and all five subs were put on including the sub for Molumphy, and one of the other players was to pick up a serious injury which required him to have to come off the field for the remainder of the game. What would we do. Give Kilkenny a man advantage? Nothing surprises me however in the last few years when it comes to picking the Waterford team.

Considering our injuries, and lack of fitness of certain players I can understand playing Stephen for just a half to be honest. It was unlikely to cost us a player late on in the game and although possible, a risk worth taking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement