Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I think we still have a chance (albeit slim) of making the final. If we win our final 2 games we can finish on 9 points.

Galway and KK are on 8, with Dublin on 7 and ourselves Cork and Tipp all on 5. If Galway lose to Tipp next time out, and KK beat Dublin, Cork beat Wex and we beat Offaly the table will be..KK 10, Gal 8, Dublin, Cork, Tipp, Waterford all on 7.

Then in the last round we'd need Cork to beat Dublin, and us to beat Galway and assuming Tipp beat Wexford and KK beat Offaly the final table would be

KK 12, Waterford, Tipp, Cork all on 9. Galway 8 and Dublin 7

That would leave points difference to settle it, unfortunately ours isnt great. Of course if Wexford could take anything from the games vs Cork or Tipp that would be a help for us.

To be fair, its extremely unlikely but a chance nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Thought we were going to take Kilkenny today. They were definitely vulnerable so it was disappointing we didn't build on Shane Walsh's goal. Read what I thought here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I thought Kilkenny's late goal was quite sore today. If it had been a three point loss I would be very hopeful for the championship...but the fact that it was a six point loss disappoints me. Nonetheless the goal wasn't too much of a biggie really. So things aren't looking too bad. Probably Kilkenny's league this year, can't see Dublin winning it to be honest, despite their media spectacle. Anyway the league is just practice for the championship...

Stephen Molumphy, having lost his keys, regrets putting his kit bag in the car before training:

501775.jpg

(H/t to Clonliffe Cat on KilkennyCats.com)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Adro947 wrote: »
    I thought Kilkenny's late goal was quite sore today. If it had been a three point loss I would be very hopeful for the championship...but the fact that it was a six point loss disappoints me. Nonetheless the goal wasn't too much of a biggie really. So things aren't looking too bad. Probably Kilkenny's league this year, can't see Dublin winning it to be honest, despite their media spectacle. Anyway the league is just practice for the championship...

The late goal was ... quite sore..... aswell as .... not too much of a biggie:confused:
    If the loss was by 3pts you would have been hopeful for the championship but now you are not because it was 6?:confused:

Anyway, kk were there to be beaten I feel today. As has been mentioned the touch of some of the waterford players seemed a fair bit off. Even though it was only a lge game, a better touch should be prevalent.
    Waterford still have a chance of getting to the semis but it needs alot of results to go their way - I don't think they will get there and maybe that's no bad thing. Alot more time is needed on the training ground to get ready for the assault on Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Wonder are KK on the slide, the hunger not there anymore? I know it only the league but Cody takes it seriously.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Wonder are KK on the slide, the hunger not there anymore? I know it only the league but Cody takes it seriously.

The big disappointment yesterday was that Kilkenny looked vulnerable. Some of the wides they hit were shocking, if we'd done the same we'd have never heard the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The late goal was ... quite sore..... aswell as .... not too much of a biggie:confused:
    If the loss was by 3pts you would have been hopeful for the championship but now you are not because it was 6?:confused:

Anyway, kk were there to be beaten I feel today. As has been mentioned the touch of some of the waterford players seemed a fair bit off. Even though it was only a lge game, a better touch should be prevalent.
    Waterford still have a chance of getting to the semis but it needs alot of results to go their way - I don't think they will get there and maybe that's no bad thing. Alot more time is needed on the training ground to get ready for the assault on Munster.
    Our 1st touch has been getting steadily worse since Davy took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

KK have been flat for the whole league. I've been hearing that they are doing particularly heavy training. Not sure how accurate that is, but they are trying out lads as well. People like Cha Fitz, Richie Power, Shefflin return and 10-12 points return with them.

Waterford team is very weak currently. Would have liked to have seen Tony Browne start instead of O'Sullivan, who is essentially a half forward. Defense overall should be reasonably happy. While I think Hutchinson did ok, he should have done better aerially for the two goals and given his young keeper protection.

Tomas Ryan, O'Sullivan, O'Keefe and O'Mahony are basically kids, and would do very well to make a Tipp or KK U21 team. Also if they are playing them, why not the likes of Madigan, Dean Twomey or Daniels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Semi's aren't back until next year. Top 2 straight into Final. Looking like Galway V Dublin/Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What was most disappointing about yesterday was the goals, neither fullback nor goalkeeper was dominant enough to claim what really were two pretty inoccuous balls into the square. While Hutchinson has done well any time I've seen him and is probably bth best of our options there, its still an area of weakness. Make no mistake that teams will have noticed that yeataerday and will try to exploit if come championship. Same sh*t different year really, its shocking that we haven't produced a decent fullback in well over a decade now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Would be interested to read peoples views on this.

Fives and Connors are going well for Waterford in the corners this year and both should have enough done now to cement their place in the team for the championship, but would like to see more of Fives up against maybe stronger corner forwards to see is he totally up to the job. Would also like to see him on a perfect playing surface which we dont see at this time of the year yet.

If the two lads are picked in the corners and with Full Back still a problem for Waterford, (I know Hutchenson is doing ok there now {we thought the same last year about Liam Lawlor} but i dont know if he is the answer as we saw yesterday with the example for the goals which the previous poster pointed out. He and O'Keeffe are from the one club and you would expect a greater understanding between them when it comes to such situations), what about playing Eoin Murphy at Full Back.

He is part and parcel of the senior Inter County set up now with ten or more years. I dont think in that length of time he has played a bad game for Waterford and if he has it is not many. He is a player you can rely upon, has been honour with an All Star a few years back. He still has a few years left in him at the top and with Connors and Fives so young they could learn a lot more from playing either side of him. Playing him there would also allow Davy or whoever is over the team in the years ahead the chance to coach personally or get someone in like Sean Cullinane to do so a player or players that they see as the long term solution to the problem position and to coach them the skills required to be an inter county full back. Murphy unlike the others that have been tried there in recent times may not be playing in the senior ranks at club level, but i would not let that come into the equation. It never has affected his performances in the past and i doubt if selected it will in the future.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Would be interested to read peoples views on this.

Fives and Connors are going well for Waterford in the corners this year and both should have enough done now to cement their place in the team for the championship, but would like to see more of Fives up against maybe stronger corner forwards to see is he totally up to the job. Would also like to see him on a perfect playing surface which we dont see at this time of the year yet.

If the two lads are picked in the corners and with Full Back still a problem for Waterford, (I know Hutchenson is doing ok there now {we thought the same last year about Liam Lawlor} but i dont know if he is the answer as we saw yesterday with the example for the goals which the previous poster pointed out. He and O'Keeffe are from the one club and you would expect a greater understanding between them when it comes to such situations), what about playing Eoin Murphy at Full Back.

He is part and parcel of the senior Inter County set up now with ten or more years. I dont think in that length of time he has played a bad game for Waterford and if he has it is not many. He is a player you can rely upon, has been honour with an All Star a few years back. He still has a few years left in him at the top and with Connors and Fives so young they could learn a lot more from playing either side of him. Playing him there would also allow Davy or whoever is over the team in the years ahead the chance to coach personally or get someone in like Sean Cullinane to do so a player or players that they see as the long term solution to the problem position and to coach them the skills required to be an inter county full back. Murphy unlike the others that have been tried there in recent times may not be playing in the senior ranks at club level, but i would not let that come into the equation. It never has affected his performances in the past and i doubt if selected it will in the future.

Interesting idea. But if that was to work i'd have ben happier to see him in there from the start of the league. What height is he I wonder? Would he have the physical stature to deal effectively with the two goals yesterday for example?

Either way, the fact that we are still trying to shoe-horn players into this problem position after experimenting with McGrath, Feeney, Prendergast, Kearney, Kevin Moran, Lawlor amongst others in recent years is a sad reflection on the quality of player currently playing at FB around the county at the moment. Look at DLS, if they had a more authorative figure there than O Flynn they'd never have conceded those late goals to Clarinbridge in the semi and they very well could be AI champions now.

deiseach wrote: »
    The big disappointment yesterday was that Kilkenny looked vulnerable. Some of the wides they hit were shocking, if we'd done the same we'd have never heard the end of it.

They can get to experience a bad day!!

My wish list for this year:
    1.Would like to see Galway or Dublin win Leinster Title, (i dont mind which one), it be great to see, not having one team dominating it every year.
    2.Kilkenny to get knocked out before the AI Final.
    3. Not sure who will win Munster, maybe Waterford or Tipperary.
    4.Would like to see Waterford, Galway or Tipperary win the AI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Semi's aren't back until next year. Top 2 straight into Final. Looking like Galway V Dublin/Kilkenny.

my mistake, you are of course correct.

It would have been nice for ye to win yesterday, the opportunity was certainly there. It's interesting to see people thinking that kk are on the slide a bit. They certainly are lacking something at the moment, but could still qualify for the final - a scary thought for when the two or three big guns return and they get they act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

flahavaj wrote: »
    Interesting idea. But if that was to work i'd have ben happier to see him in there from the start of the league. What height is he I wonder? Would he have the physical stature to deal effectively with the two goals yesterday for example?

Either way, the fact that we are still trying to shoe-horn players into this problem position after experimenting with McGrath, Feeney, Prendergast, Kearney, Kevin Moran, Lawlor amongst others in recent years is a sad reflection on the quality of player currently playing at FB around the county at the moment. Look at DLS, if they had a more authorative figure there than O Flynn they'd never have conceded those late goals to Clarinbridge in the semi and they very well could be AI champions now.

Cannot blame Flynn for that late goal, he did well to stop the shot in the first place just unfortunately ya need a bit of luck to win big games and unlucky for DLS it hopped straight into the path of a Galway man.

Also I dunno where that little dig came from, Ian IMO for the last few years has been the stand out fullback in the county and I am flabbergasted to know why he hasnt been put on the panel.

1.Would like to see Galway or Dublin win Leinster Title, (i dont mind which one), it be great to see, not having one team dominating it every year.

Fixed that for ya ;)

flahavaj wrote: »
    But if that was to work i'd have ben happier to see him in there from the start of the league.

It would have been a help thats for sure but its not too late yet. There is still two games to go and i am sure there will be a number of Challenge/Tournament games played before the Limerick game - there is one i know of against Kilkenny in Tallow, and if he was to be played there it would give the selectors an idea of how he would go there. I think he would be a better player than those already tried there by Davy since he took over.

The biggest downer i think in recent years and by successive managers, (Gerald, Justin and Davy) is that none of them had the balls to place Tom Feeney there and leave him there and not to whip him off the field within minutes of him making any mistake in games he played. With the last number of years since he returned to Ballyduff after a stint in Cork he has played some brilliant hurling for the club. His positition etc i think has been very good and he should have been given a fair crack of the whip in the number three shirt over a sustained period of time to nail down the position. If he did i dont think we would have had the problems we had in recent years.

They can get to experience a bad day!!

The first two are unlikely to happen, the third is a probability, dont discard Cork so easy however and of the last point Tipp have the best chance i think.

It would have been a help thats for sure but its not too late yet. There is still two games to go and i am sure there will be a number of Challenge/Tournament games played before the Limerick game - there is one i know of against Kilkenny in Tallow, and if he was to be played there it would give the selectors an idea of how he would go there. I think he would be a better player than those already tried there by Davy since he took over.

The biggest downer i think in recent years and by successive managers, (Gerald, Justin and Davy) is that none of them had the balls to place Tom Feeney there and leave him there and not to whip him off the field within minutes of him making any mistake in games he played. With the last number of years since he returned to Ballyduff after a stint in Cork he has played some brilliant hurling for the club. His positition etc i think has been very good and he should have been given a fair crack of the whip in the number three shirt over a sustained period of time to nail down the position. If he did i dont think we would have had the problems we had in recent years.

It certainly isn't too late. In fact, it's essential he tries something radical. I'm all for building a team gradually through the League, but That Hasn't Worked. If we play that team in the Championship, we will not win it. It has to be different for the last two games.

• Advertisement

The first two are unlikely to happen, the third is a probability, dont discard Cork so easy however and of the last point Tipp have the best chance i think.

we've no chance, just pretend we don't even exist;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

O Riain wrote: »
    Cannot blame Flynn for that late goal, he did well to stop the shot in the first place just unfortunately ya need a bit of luck to win big games and unlucky for DLS it hopped straight into the path of a Galway man.

Also I dunno where that little dig came from, Ian IMO for the last few years has been the stand out fullback in the county and I am flabbergasted to know why he hasnt been put on the panel.

Flynn was brought on to the panel but quit after one training session. Couldn't hack it I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

hardybuck wrote: »
    KK have been flat for the whole league. I've been hearing that they are doing particularly heavy training. Not sure how accurate that is, but they are trying out lads as well. People like Cha Fitz, Richie Power, Shefflin return and 10-12 points return with them.

Waterford team is very weak currently. Would have liked to have seen Tony Browne start instead of O'Sullivan, who is essentially a half forward. Defense overall should be reasonably happy. While I think Hutchinson did ok, he should have done better aerially for the two goals and given his young keeper protection.

Tomas Ryan, O'Sullivan, O'Keefe and O'Mahony are basically kids, and would do very well to make a Tipp or KK U21 team. Also if they are playing them, why not the likes of Madigan, Dean Twomey or Daniels?

The lack of knowledge on this site is unbelievable. Do ye people actually watch matches at all. "O'Sullivan is essentially a half-forward" Are you for real? Except for a couple of games at wing forward last year for Ballygunner, he has played virtually all of his hurling at wing-back.

As for saying Hutchinson should have done better for the two goals. He got a half-block on Colin Fennelly's original shot for the first goal and was 20 yards away when the ball landed in the square. At least know some of the facts before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Shane Walsh's goal lads, what a beauty.
    Super bit of skill to pop the ball into his hand, shake off two men and then a superb strike in a tight angle, Potential goal of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Just a few thoughts on Sundays team. 1. O'Keeffe is not ready for this level of hurling yet. Let him bide his time with the u21s and look at him again next year. He lacks that bit of confidence required.
    In the full back line I think Hutchinson is the man to go with. He was shaky enough at times on Sunday but he needs experience at this position at this level. I think hes the best option we have at full back because hes neat and tidy on the ball, although his lack of pace could be a worry. The corner backs did well, I think Fives has been blooded well but I dont think hes done enough to dislodge Eoin Murphy.
    In the half backs I dont think Nagle or O'Sullivan are real championship contenders for these positions. Nagle hurled loads of ball but drives me insane at the best of times with the amount of ball hes wastes. Hes got a huge puck of the ball but you need to be putting somewhere contructive besides over the end line all the time.
    At midfield I thought Moran and Foley more or less broke even with their men. Richie has come on leaps and bounds this year. Hes probably cemented his championship place but thats where the real test lies. When Sully is back I think Moran should be moved back to the half back line where he is a natural.
    There is plenty competition for places in the forwards but id worry about our real scoring threat from open play. Outside of Kelly & Mullane I dont think we have the same quality of forwards that the likes of Tipp & KK have anymore. By the way I thought Kelllys attitude was apalling on Sunday. He looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. I think Paudie Mahony is way off this level yet and nothing is being gained by starting him anymore. Id like to see more of Tomas Ryan, a bit more confidence and he gives us options. Walsh and Molumphy are very industrious but neither I think are matchwinners.
    All in all I thought Sundays game wasnt anywhere near championship pace. And while Kilkenny were no great shakes, Im a bit worried about where were actually goping this year under Davy Fitz. If hes getting himself baished to the sidelines hes no good to anyone for starters.

I think a half back line of Moran----Brick
    Browne come championship time would give the team a very strong base to work from. You need a strong half back line and all three lads are top class really and would protect the fullback line very well.

In an ideal world I'd love to see Moran get a shot at CB and Brick pushed into midfield or the half forwards, but thats simply not going to happen under Davy, Brick is his man and thats that.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Anyone know where Shane Fives is. He was voted best full back in the fitzgibbon the year before last. In any case anytime a dangerous high ball lands down on the full back it should always be batted out to the sideline and away from the goal.

We lack the forwards that Tipp, Galway and Kilkenny have again this year. I think Eoin Madigan should be called up and Padraig Mahony rested as he is not physically strong enough for inter county senior hurling. I would have Adrian Power as goalie as he has served his time under Clinton Hennessey, he is a better shot stopper and better under the high balls than the other 2.

At centre back has to be Kevin Moran with Brick moving to midfield with Molumphy. When Shane O Sullivan and Maurice Shannon are back i would put them in the half forwards.

Overall disappointing game last sunday. Kilkenny were there to be beaten. No fire or drive to kick on after Walsh's goal. I wonder are they been overtrained as thay seemed dead on their feet in the last 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I personally wouldn't mind seeing the following against Limerick in June...

Clinton
    Murphy
    ?
    Connors
    Browne---Moran---D.Prender
    Brick
    Foley
    Kelly
    Sully----Molumphy
    Mullane---Walsh---Shanahan

I think Sully is pretty under-rated under the high ball. I remember him deputising for Brick at CB for a bit last year and actually did very well, so he may just be that ball winner in the half-forwards we need. As we've seen he knows how to take the odd few points too. And if Kelly keeps his head about him this year that's two genuine point-takers in the half-forwards, while leaving Molumphy to do the donkey work (as long as he doesn't find himself isolated on the wing like the Tipp game last year).

Walsh absolutely must start at FF now, he's too great a goal threat to not give him the jersey. Mullane is a no-brainer while Shanahan is still the best of the youngsters and will continue to improve.

I think on paper that's actually a very impressive team. Good mix of youth and experience, each with their own qualities and attributes. Personally I think it's worth a shot but I'd be hugely surprised if that's what Davy ends up going for.

And in other news...
    Waterford’s hurlers are to embark on a training date with English soccer club Reading next month.

A three-night stay in Berkshire is being jointly funded by the Waterford Supporters Club and a team fund, with the panel heading off on Saturday April 9, the day after star forward John Mullane gets married.

The trip will see them train alongside the Coca Cola Championship promotion hopefuls, whose ranks include former Tipperary minor hurling ace Shane Long, now a Republic of Ireland international striker in free-scoring form at club level.

Other Irishmen in the Royals’ squad include Waterford’s own Noel Hunt and former Ireland stalwart Ian Harte.

Davy Fitzgerald’s panel will return to Ireland in good time for their final Allianz Hurling League Division One round robin clash with Galway on April 17.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/03/29/Reading-date-for-Deise/gnid-91430/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

hardybuck wrote: »
    Tomas Ryan, O'Sullivan, O'Keefe and O'Mahony are basically kids, and would do very well to make a Tipp or KK U21 team.
    Thomas Ryans 22 this year, although still young hes not going to get much more physically stronger which is his main problem at the moment.
    alllcounty wrote: »
    Anyone know where Shane Fives is.
    I heard he was out with injury!
    Anyone know how long Philip Mahoney is out for? He was doing fair well in the league until his injury..

Also in other other news.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/shanahan-stands-by-retirement-call-2598160.html
    DAN SHANAHAN insists he's at peace with his decision to walk away from inter-county hurling, even if he clearly feels he had more to offer Waterford.

Dismayed at his lack of game time under Davy Fitzgerald last year, Shanahan retired just two days after the Deise's All-Ireland semi-final exit at the hands of Tipperary.

The Lismore man admits the decision to retire was based partly on self-preservation. He wanted to be master of his own destiny and feared he might have been forced from the Decies panel had he been available for 2011

"If I'm being honest I probably would have (stayed on had he been playing regular)," he said.

"It's not being a regular or starting games, it's just a bit more game time. I thought I deserved more but I didn't get it and I made a decision myself then to call it a day.

"We all knew Davy was going to stay on (for 2011). I knew it, we all knew for a fact. He was going to stay on. And don't be surprised if he gets another year with the county board that are there, but that's their decision.

"I made my decision, I'm happy I made that decision and my club is benefiting big time from it. I started back with my club and I do think I owe them a bit more."

Would he have been pushed from Waterford if he hadn't jumped?

"Good question, yeah. I'd say it is 50-50. I could have been pushed a bit but if you train hard and work hard like I've done over the years, I can't fault myself or my effort and it's up to the management after that.

"If they don't think I'm good enough to be worth more than five or 10 minutes in a game... it takes five minutes to get into the game at this level and to be getting five minutes to do it...

"I did it against Galway two years ago then took them out of jail again in Thurles in the Munster final last year."

Ken McGrath recently followed Shanahan out the exit door as the Waterford team that thrilled for the best part of a decade slowly breaks up.

McGrath endured a difficult day at midfield against Cork in the National League and after being called ashore from the sideline, he walked away from the squad.

"You could see why he called it a day," said Shanahan, who was in Dublin to launch the An Post Cycle Series, which encourages people to cycle.

"I was at the game and felt sorry for the man when he was taken off. He played midfield that day and you're trying to deal with Donal Og Cusack's puck-outs and he can put the ball in your mouth.

"And Pa Cronin takes off and the two boys are switching over and back and Ken is in midfield and is trying to follow them at over 30 years of age and with all the injuries he's had.

"That's the management team's decision (to start him at midfield) but why not throw him centre-forward and see how he gets on there?"

Shanahan's brother Maurice, who is currently out with a broken finger, also considered his Waterford future over the winter.

"Maurice didn't know whether he was going to go back but he made his decision to go back. I suppose it was hard. Maurice, by a country mile, was the best club forward in Waterford last year.

"Yet he wasn't one of the five fellas brought on in the semi-final against Tipp. That question answers itself there so at the end of the day he had to think himself whether he was coming back or not."

highlights

It's popular for GAA players to return from retirement at least once but, recalling the highlights of his career, Shanahan insist there will be no U-turn.

"The lads would have said to me would I be interested in going back. I've met them since and I get on brilliantly with them all," he said.

"We're great friends and that's very important for me. We won all the trophies bar the big one but it was nice that what we won, we won it together. That's the main thing."
    I know its Dan and he doesnt mean to say things but I dont like how he was putting words in his brothers mouth or commenting on Ken, like theres no need..

^ That article gives me another reason to hate dislike Davy Fitz, i knew he had alot to do with Big Dan's retirement.

Daysha wrote: »

Clinton
    Murphy
    ?
    Connors
    Browne---Moran---D.Prender
    Brick
    Foley
    Kelly
    Sully----Molumphy
    Mullane---Walsh---Shanahan

Not a bad team. As i said yesterday I would try Murphy at Full back and Darragh Fives in the corner and that would fill your gap. One question, Would Maurice be to restricted in the corner and be better off out the field. He possibly would with the tactics used by davy, i.e. Mullane and Walsh would be feft alone inside. However if he did go with two lines of three in the forwards and Shanahan was to be brought out who do you move in, Molumphy? I dont think so as he does a hell of a lot of work between the half backs and half forward lines. Kelly? as we have seen a waste in the full forward line. He needs room. Sully? I dont know. I am glad we dont have the headaches to make such decissions.

Not a bad team. As i said yesterday I would try Murphy at Full back and Darragh Fives in the corner and that would fill your gap. One question, Would Maurice be to restricted in the corner and be better off out the field. He possibly would with the tactics used by davy, i.e. Mullane and Walsh would be feft alone inside. However if he did go with two lines of three in the forwards and Shanahan was to be brought out who do you move in, Molumphy? I dont think so as he does a hell of a lot of work between the half backs and half forward lines. Kelly? as we have seen a waste in the full forward line. He needs room. Sully? I dont know. I am glad we dont have the headaches to make such decissions.

Well if he wanted to bring Maurice out-field the logical thing to do would be to drop Molumphy back as a 3rd midfielder and leave Walsh and Mullane up by themselves. Give Mullane the room to exploit his pace to full effect and let Walsh deal with any breaking ball around the 20' line.

If Davy went with a generic 3-3 forward line I'd be happy to leave Maurice where he was, but with license to drift infield alongside Walsh and let Mullane switch sides to give the opposite backs a few headaches. Maurice is a tall guy, 6'5'', and again if you give him he ball he will find the posts. Davy tried the same thing with O'Halloran last year but what he didn't realise is that you don't leave a 19 year old starting his first C'ship game as an isolated forward with no support.

I wouldn't like any of Kelly, Sully or Molumphy anywhere near the FF line so that's why I think Maurice is our best option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Brian O'Halloran pulled his hamstring last night again. Few players out of sorts, Molmumphy has did little. I would like to see Brick out Center field and Moran center back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Not a bad team. As i said yesterday I would try Murphy at Full back and Darragh Fives in the corner and that would fill your gap.

I hope Davy Ftz dosen't get this into his head!! Eoin Murphy can never go full back. Hes one of the best corners backs in the game on his day, and a very stylish hurler Ive thought for years hes been wasted in the corner and should be further out the field but due to lack of corner backs hes been restricted to that position. Putting him full back would be a catastrophe. Hes never played there in his career and it would be bad form to expect a fellah of his pedigree to go in there at this stage of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DeiseX

I hope Davy Ftz dosen't get this into his head!! Eoin Murphy can never go full back. Hes one of the best corners backs in the game on his day, and a very stylish hurler Ive thought for years hes been wasted in the corner and should be further out the field but due to lack of corner backs hes been restricted to that position. Putting him full back would be a catastrophe. Hes never played there in his career and it would be bad form to expect a fellah of his pedigree to go in there at this stage of his career.

+1000! A fantastic player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Davy tried the same thing with O'Halloran last year but what he didn't realise is that you don't leave a 19 year old starting his first C'ship game as an isolated forward with no support.

This is so true. I really felt for the lad when I was watching him. You could see how frustrated he was. Disastrous decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Deise Tiger

1. Adrian Power: We are blessed to have such a back up of quality keepers at the moment. I would like to see the Ballyduff man get the nod for the Limerick outing. A great shot stopper and his puck outs and free taking ability could be a great asset to the team.
    2. Darragh Fives: The Tourin teenager is a huge prospect and following his performances to date in the National League, he would fully deserve the championship nod. He is an all round quality performer.
    3. Wayne Hutchinson: It’s a huge disappointment that we still haven’t found a quality full back since the retirement of Sean Cullinane. It has cost the team dearly in the last few years. The Ballygunner man has held his own in the last two games and he would more hurling ability than Liam Lawlor. If the likes of Tipp were playing Eoin Kelly, Kilkenny (Richie Hogan), Cork (Paudie Sullivan) in the full forward position, then the suggestion to play Eoin Murphy at full back may not be such a bad option. Comerford, Corbett and Cussen would be all together different prospect for Murphy however. Would agree with everyone that says that Murphy is a superb hurler.
    4. Noel Connors: This guy had class written all over him. A certainty for a championship start. He was superb all the way through last year’s championship and I’ve no doubt that he will equal and better his performances this coming season.
    5. Tony Browne: There isn’t a hurling fan in the 32 counties and beyond that wouldn’t like to see the grandfather of modern hurling win an All Ireland medal. Getting better with age!!! My grasp of the English language would not do justice to what this man means to Waterford hurling.
    6. Kevin Moran: Brick is the outstanding centre back in the country over the past few years but we need him further up the field now. By placing Moran at No. 6 would in no way weaken our team. His performances for his club have been out of the top drawer. He would bring a physicality to the backline and he would guarantee a much faster delivery of ball into the forwards than what’s happening at the moment.
    7. Philip Mahony: I think the Ballygunner youngster is the real deal. I would love to see him get the chance to show his undoubted ability in the championship. He is a tremendous prospect for Waterford hurling and I think he would step up to the championship mark with considerable ease.
    8. Richie Foley: A hugely improved performer over the last 2 years. He’s in the best form of his career to date. He is thriving on the responsibility of taking the frees and I hope he holds onto the role come championship time.
    9. Shane O’Sullivan: An all star nominee last season and I’d expect the same again this season. He’s capable in my opinion of playing in any of the positions from No. 5 to No. 12.
    10. Stephen Molumphy: A vital cog to the Waterford machine. A tremendous work horse and his ability to bring out the ball from the ever increasing amount of scrum type scrappy passages of play is unreal. He may not contribute much to the score board but he more than makes up for that in other ways.
    11. Brick Walsh: The county’s top performer in recent times would be a huge asset to our misfiring forward division. His ball winning and play making abilities would add a great dimension to our forward play.
    12. Maurice Shanahan: His performances in the club county championship would merit a place on the team. He’s accurate from play and placed balls. Has the height along with Brick to allow Power launch his puck outs deep into the opposition’s half. Let him take the close in frees to get his confidence up.
    13. John Mullane: Take your eyes off the De la Salle man at your peril. In tremendous form over the last few years especially when you consider the amount of work that he has to do as part of a 2 man forward line. No better sight than seeing Mullane in full flight.
    14. Shane Walsh: The management team have to stop messing around the Fourmile man. Put him in at full forward and let him there. He will cause trouble to most full backs if he is fed the quality ball. His ability to leap from a stand still position to garb the ball is unreal. A real goal scoring threat if he gets the ball(something badly needed)
    15. Eoin Kelly: A reluctant nod to Kelly, probably more to do what he’s capable of during rather than current and recent form. His raw talent and ability is unreal but it’s becoming more and more likely that he will retire from the Waterford set-up without ever realising that ability. If he showed the lack of effort and interest that he displayed against Tipperary last year, i’d whip him off in super quick time and give Brian O’Halloran the chance to use his pace to run at opposition defences. Kelly is one of the best hurler in the country on a given day, he could become a legend in the county if he ever decides to produce the hurling that everyone knows he has on a consistent basis.
    Davy Fitzgerald: I must admit that I’m not a Davy fan but I hope more than anything that he will prove me wrong. Nobody could ever question his commitment and dedication to the cause, he’s passionate about what he does and about the game. He will give it 110% every time. I fear that he’s trying to be a tactical genius and in doing so, he’s over complicating what is a simple game. The tactics used against Tipperary in last year’s semi final were ridicules and somewhat embarrassing. Some of the more senior players at the time were of the opinion that Davy didn’t trust the players to go man on man with their opponents.
    If only he could compliment the never say die attitude that he has instilled in the team with a brand of hurling that most want our county team to play. We will not win an Al Ireland playing “Trappatoni” style hurling. Tipperary showed everyone last year how to beat Kilkenny and more importantly how to play hurling.
    To give him credit where it is due, when he was given a one year term, I didn’t think he would give the youth a chance this year and I thought that he would stick with the tried and trusted but in fairness to him, he has given alot of our young prospects a chance to nail down a jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Good choice starting 15. However i'd switch foley and sullivan to half f/d's and molumphy and brick to midfield. Need to have more scoring threat in the f/d's. Also have kelly on half f/d's and if not up for the game after 30 mins to be subsituted with prendergast, and shananhan coner f/d with freedom to roam outfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

1. Adrian Power
    2. Darragh Fives
    3. Wayne Hutchison/Shane Fives
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Philip Mahony
    6. Kevin Moran
    7. Tony Browne
    8. Ml. Brick Walsh
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Shane O'Sullivan
    11. Richie Foley
    12. Maurice Shanahan/Pauric Mahony
    13. John Mullane
    14. Eoin Kelly
    15. Brian O'Halloran

At FB it's either or with Fives and Hutchison but I'd be inclined to go with Fives he's fantastic in the air and has that tradition that all the Fives' of Tourin posses. Also along with Timmy Hammersly he's been W.I.T's best player in recent years.

Moran is a must at center back. It's where we can get the best out of him and also allows us to push Brick up to midfield to form a lethal partnership with Molumphy.

Some may question my forward selection so I'll go through it player by player.

10. O'Sullivan: Fantastic aerial ability, savage work rate and well able to pick a score.

11. Foley: Again his ability to take a score is remarkable and we will ahain get the best out of him at CF.

12. Shanahan/Mahony: One can't question Maurice's ability, but his commitment may come under scrutiny. On his day the best half forward in the county but his lack of courage is appalling. Mahony is definitely one for the future and to throw him in against Limerick might be a bit soon. But no doubt he'd relish the task and give it his all. When he eventually fills out he's going to be a real star.

13. Mullane: Self explanatory.

14. Kelly: Played his best hurling for us at FF(albeit a two man full forward line). Arguably our most talented player. We need to play our best players in their best positions.

15. O'Halloran: Keep an eye on this guy. He's going to take the championship by storm. Unlucky with injuries thus far, but don't be surprised to see him get the nod against Limerick. Bundles of talent and has an aerial ability that would match Shane Walsh's any-day as well as blistering pace and eye for goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Are these teams people would go with for Offaly on Sunday, Limerick in June or generally just our strongest team available?

I'd go with:

1. Adrian Power/Clinton
    2. Darragh Fives
    3. Wayne Hutchison/Shane Fives
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Nagle/Dec Prender/Mahony
    6. Kevin Moran
    7. Tony Browne
    8. Ml. Brick Walsh
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Shane O'Sullivan
    11. Richie Foley
    12. Kelly/Seamus Prender
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Halloran/Maurice

I'm still undecided between Power, Clinton and O'Keeffe. All have good qualities about them. I'd say Clinton will be no. 1 for Championship though. I'd only rule out SO'K as he's still young and should just concentrate on U21 this year.
    Fives and Hutchinson also hard to call for FB.

We seem to have an array of options for half back/midfield/half forward, plenty of players versatile and could move around.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of O'Halloran. Frustrating that he has been unlucky with injuries of late but hopefully he'll be good come June.

Offaly a tough game on Sunday, they seem to be our bogey team in the last few years. A win in Tullamore would be a very good result. Offaly not as bad as some may think and will cause us plenty of problems given that they are safe and in confident mood after beating Wexford last weekend.

Waterford Hurling Team attached to play Offaly in Tullamore on Sunday.

1. Clinton Hennessy

2. Eoin Murphy
    3. Wayne Hutchinson
    4. Noel Connors

5. Tony Browne
    6. Michael Walsh
    7. Jamie Nagle

8. Richie Foley
    9. Kevin Moran

10. Seamus Prendergast
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Stephen Molumphy

13. Gavin Crotty
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Interesting line up. Crotty and O'Sullivan fighting for their place on the panel i'd say

Interesting team, at least there are a few more there getting their chance. Would have liking Darragh Fives stay in the corner but in fairness Murphy is well experienced and will most likely keep the no. 2 jersey come championship.

Half back, midfield and half forward lines all strong, good to have Sully and Clinton back.

Waterford Hurling Team attached to play Offaly in Tullamore on Sunday.

1. Clinton Hennessy

2. Eoin Murphy
    3. Wayne Hutchinson
    4. Noel Connors

5. Tony Browne
    6. Michael Walsh
    7. Jamie Nagle

8. Richie Foley
    9. Kevin Moran

10. Seamus Prendergast
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Stephen Molumphy

13. Gavin Crotty
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

Football team to play Offaly in Fraher Field.

1. Kieran Cotter Geraldines
    2. Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    3. Thomas O’Gorman Nire
    4. Kieran Connery Clashmore
    5. Wayne Hennessy Ardmore CAPTAIN
    6. Shane Briggs Ballinacourty
    7. John Hurney Ballinacourty
    8. Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty
    9. Brian Phelan Ballinameela
    10. Brian Wall Nire
    11. Sean Fleming Clashmore
    12. Tommy Connors Stradbally
    13. Joey Veale Kilrossanty
    14. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    15. Mark Ferncombe Ballinacourty

16. Cillian O’Keeffe Clashmore
    17. J.J. Hutchinson Gaultier
    18. Kevin Power Rathgormack
    19. Michael O’Gorman Nire
    20. Richie Hennessy Ardmore
    21. Tom Wall Nire
    22. Tony Grey Stradbally
    23. Liam O Lonain An Rinn
    24. Conor Phelan Brickey Rangers
    25. Eamonn Walsh Ballinameela
    26. Sean Dempsey Colligan

This is a huge game for Waterford and the team deserves all the support they can get. With 2 games to play Waterford can be promoted or relegated.

0-7 to 0-5 to Waterford after nearly 20mins. Bergin and Dooley causing us problems. Shane Walsh doing v well with 3 pts.

0-10 to 0-6 after 23mins, doing well. Footballers 1-5 to 0-3 up also.

Shane Walsh goal. 1-13 to 0-8. He's having a great game.

1-14 to 0-10 at half time to Waterford. Doing well enough,Shane Walsh with the goal. Against the wind in 2nd half.

1-16 to 1-10 now, game back on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement