Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Some of us are old enough to remember worse days that that.
    Damn right. When you've seen Waterford play Armagh . . . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I was looking at the members of the Waterford hurling panel who for one reason or another didn’t play in last Sunday’s game against Galway. If they were all fully fit and available and were to play last Sunday’s team in a serious game, I reckon this “second” team would probably win. Of the 19 players in question I have picked the following 15.

Adrian Power
    Eoin Murphy
    Wayne Hutchinson
    Noel Connors
    Aidan Kearney
    Shane Fives
    Declan Prendergast
    David O’Sullivan
    Richie Foley
    Maurice Shanahan
    Stephen Molumphy
    Eoin Kelly
    John Mullane
    Seamus Prendergast
    Brian O’Halloran

The four players I haven’t included are:
    Stephen O’Keeffe
    Jamie Nagle
    Eamon Murphy
    Tomás Ryan

This just gives you an indication of the depth of the current Waterford panel. Of course when it comes to picking the championship team against Limerick, all 34 players will be in the mix, depending on fitness and form. If all players were fit and in good form, I would be looking at a starting 15 along the following lines:

Adrian Power
    Eoin Murphy
    Wayne Hutchinson
    Noel Connors
    Philip Mahony
    Brick Walsh
    Darragh Fives
    Richie Foley
    Kevin Moran
    Maurice Shanahan
    Shane O’Sullivan
    Eoin Kelly
    John Mullane
    Shane Walsh
    Stephen Molumphy

I would prefer Adrian Power in goal as he is a better shot-stopper than Clinton and has a better puckout (both for length and direction). It would be hard to deny a player of Eoin Murphy’s record and ability a place on the team. Darragh Fives has had a great league campaign but he only started the first day at corner back in the Waterford Crystal competition because there was no one else available. He is a truly gifted player who for my money is wasted in the corner as his best position is in the half back line where he can put his height and striking ability to best use. It is a bit ironic that both he and Paudie Mahony got their chance with Waterford due to the ban on first year players playing for their college teams in the Waterford Crystal tournament and ended up as regulars on the Waterford league team!

I have a preference for Wayne Hutchinson at full back as I think he is stronger under the high ball than either Liam Lawlor or Shane Fives. I have made the bold and perhaps sacrilegious move of replacing Tony Browne with Philip Mahony who I think will be a key figure in Waterford’s hurling future. However, I expect that Davy will stick with Tony and I will have no problem with that. I was one of those who supported the idea of moving Brick Walsh out of centre back in order to provide us with more drive and ball-winning ability in the half forward line. However, after Shane O’Sullivan’s super show on the forty last Sunday, and assuming a fully fit Maurice Shanahan will also be in the team, we should have no problems on that score against Limerick.

I have therefore gone with a midfield pairing of Kevin Moran and Richie Foley. I would play Moran no further forward than this as he has shown time and again that he is not a ball winner when placed in the half forward line. I have named Stephen Molumphy at corner forward but I would give him free licence to move around the field as he sees fit, as he fills this role brilliantly. I have named Eoin Kelly at left half forward assuming that his head and relationship with Davy will be in order by championship time. He is too good a striker of long range points to play close to goal where we have plenty of firepower in John Mullane and Shane Walsh.

It is a pity that Brian O’Halloran didn’t get any league playing time as if he had I would expect him to be a regular by now. A couple of extra games would also have done Maurice Shanahan and Philip Mahony a power of good, but I still reckon they are good enough to start.

With the above as my first team, this leaves the following second team to put them through their paces in training:

Clinton Hennessy
    Jerome Maher
    Liam Lawlor
    Aidan Kearney
    Tony Browne
    Shane Fives
    Declan Prendergast
    Jamie Nagle
    Gavin Crotty
    Paudie Mahony
    David O’Sullivan
    Brian O’Halloran
    Brian O’Sullivan
    Seamus Prendergast
    Shane Casey

Substitutes:
    Stephen O’Keeffe
    Eamon Murphy
    Tomás Ryan
    Eoin McGrath

That in itself is a serious hurling team with very few on it that you would have major doubts about throwing in as substitutes in a championship game. It makes a huge change from the bad old days when we had ten or eleven players who were up to scratch and that was about it. If I had to pick seven of that team to make up the match day 22, I would go with Clinton, Lawlor, Kearney, Browne, Seamus Prendergast, Brian O’Halloran and David O’Sullivan. I have been very impressed with what I have seen of David O’Sullivan in the league this year. He is a much more powerful player than he was two years ago while he has oodles of pace and skill.

Given the choice available to him, what Davy needs to do now is not pick the best 15 individual players but the best combination of players which will be effective as a unit on the field of play. He would need to figure out fairly soon what that combination is and what their game plan should be, and work on that in training over the next few weeks. I don’t think myself that Davy is up to this task but I will be quite happy to be proved wrong, and even if Davy doesn’t get it right we still have the players capable of doing the business on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

deiseach wrote: »
    Damn right. When you've seen Waterford play Armagh . . . :(

Or the infamous defeat to Mayo in the 80's....

Just commenting on some of the above..... Im not as pessimistic as some of the above messages but one swallow dosen't make a summer. We are talking about replacing Kelly with Paudie Mahony based on a league game??? There are loads of young lads coming through dont forget Maurice Shanahan and Brian O'Halloran to come back aswell but for the championship expect to see some of the more experienced campaigners back again. Cant play all these youngsters...

Also the reason Waterford haven't won an all Ireland comes down to one major thing in my opinion... strength in depth. We never had the players to come off the bench to turn games like Cork, KK and Tipp had. Remember Cathal Naughton in 06'? Perfect example. We had 10 or 12 players that picked themselves but there was always a few that werent of that class and there was nothing to come off the bench to dig us out (Im talking abput 98 - 08'). And also the lack of a top quality full back after Cullinane retired... A pivotal position in any all Ireland winning team. Look at any tram that has won al all-Ireland in recent years... Havent done it without a domineering full back eg; Noel Hickey/JJ Delaney, Diarmud O'Sullivan. Brian Lohan ect... amongs of course a number of reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I was looking at the members of the Waterford hurling panel who for one reason or another didn’t play in last Sunday’s game against Galway. If they were all fully fit and available and were to play last Sunday’s team in a serious game, I reckon this “second” team would probably win. Of the 19 players in question I have picked the following 15.

Adrian Power
    Eoin Murphy
    Wayne Hutchinson
    Noel Connors
    Aidan Kearney
    Shane Fives
    Declan Prendergast
    David O’Sullivan
    Richie Foley
    Maurice Shanahan
    Stephen Molumphy
    Eoin Kelly
    John Mullane
    Seamus Prendergast
    Brian O’Halloran

The four players I haven’t included are:
    Stephen O’Keeffe
    Jamie Nagle
    Eamon Murphy
    Tomás Ryan

This just gives you an indication of the depth of the current Waterford panel. Of course when it comes to picking the championship team against Limerick, all 34 players will be in the mix, depending on fitness and form. If all players were fit and in good form, I would be looking at a starting 15 along the following lines:

Adrian Power
    Eoin Murphy
    Wayne Hutchinson
    Noel Connors
    Philip Mahony
    Brick Walsh
    Darragh Fives
    Richie Foley
    Kevin Moran
    Maurice Shanahan
    Shane O’Sullivan
    Eoin Kelly
    John Mullane
    Shane Walsh
    Stephen Molumphy

I would prefer Adrian Power in goal as he is a better shot-stopper than Clinton and has a better puckout (both for length and direction). It would be hard to deny a player of Eoin Murphy’s record and ability a place on the team. Darragh Fives has had a great league campaign but he only started the first day at corner back in the Waterford Crystal competition because there was no one else available. He is a truly gifted player who for my money is wasted in the corner as his best position is in the half back line where he can put his height and striking ability to best use. It is a bit ironic that both he and Paudie Mahony got their chance with Waterford due to the ban on first year players playing for their college teams in the Waterford Crystal tournament and ended up as regulars on the Waterford league team!

I have a preference for Wayne Hutchinson at full back as I think he is stronger under the high ball than either Liam Lawlor or Shane Fives. I have made the bold and perhaps sacrilegious move of replacing Tony Browne with Philip Mahony who I think will be a key figure in Waterford’s hurling future. However, I expect that Davy will stick with Tony and I will have no problem with that. I was one of those who supported the idea of moving Brick Walsh out of centre back in order to provide us with more drive and ball-winning ability in the half forward line. However, after Shane O’Sullivan’s super show on the forty last Sunday, and assuming a fully fit Maurice Shanahan will also be in the team, we should have no problems on that score against Limerick.

I have therefore gone with a midfield pairing of Kevin Moran and Richie Foley. I would play Moran no further forward than this as he has shown time and again that he is not a ball winner when placed in the half forward line. I have named Stephen Molumphy at corner forward but I would give him free licence to move around the field as he sees fit, as he fills this role brilliantly. I have named Eoin Kelly at left half forward assuming that his head and relationship with Davy will be in order by championship time. He is too good a striker of long range points to play close to goal where we have plenty of firepower in John Mullane and Shane Walsh.

It is a pity that Brian O’Halloran didn’t get any league playing time as if he had I would expect him to be a regular by now. A couple of extra games would also have done Maurice Shanahan and Philip Mahony a power of good, but I still reckon they are good enough to start.

With the above as my first team, this leaves the following second team to put them through their paces in training:

Clinton Hennessy
    Jerome Maher
    Liam Lawlor
    Aidan Kearney
    Tony Browne
    Shane Fives
    Declan Prendergast
    Jamie Nagle
    Gavin Crotty
    Paudie Mahony
    David O’Sullivan
    Brian O’Halloran
    Brian O’Sullivan
    Seamus Prendergast
    Shane Casey

Substitutes:
    Stephen O’Keeffe
    Eamon Murphy
    Tomás Ryan
    Eoin McGrath

That in itself is a serious hurling team with very few on it that you would have major doubts about throwing in as substitutes in a championship game. It makes a huge change from the bad old days when we had ten or eleven players who were up to scratch and that was about it. If I had to pick seven of that team to make up the match day 22, I would go with Clinton, Lawlor, Kearney, Browne, Seamus Prendergast, Brian O’Halloran and David O’Sullivan. I have been very impressed with what I have seen of David O’Sullivan in the league this year. He is a much more powerful player than he was two years ago while he has oodles of pace and skill.

Given the choice available to him, what Davy needs to do now is not pick the best 15 individual players but the best combination of players which will be effective as a unit on the field of play. He would need to figure out fairly soon what that combination is and what their game plan should be, and work on that in training over the next few weeks. I don’t think myself that Davy is up to this task but I will be quite happy to be proved wrong, and even if Davy doesn’t get it right we still have the players capable of doing the business on the pitch.

excellent post

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Good panel this year. Possibly our best panel we ever had. I notice Ballygunner have 7 on the panel which they deserve but De La Salle have just 2. Correct me if i am wrong but are De La Salle not county champions winning munster twice in the last 3 years. Where are Paudie Nevin, Dean Twomey, Stephen Daniels, Eoin Madigan etc. Are they refusing to play under Davy or are their commitment to waterford not as good as other clubs in waterford. They are good enough to be on the panel after their performances in last years club championships so what's the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

alllcounty wrote: »
    Good panel this year. Possibly our best panel we ever had. I notice Ballygunner have 7 on the panel which they deserve but De La Salle have just 2. Correct me if i am wrong but are De La Salle not county champions winning munster twice in the last 3 years. Where are Paudie Nevin, Dean Twomey, Stephen Daniels, Eoin Madigan etc. Are they refusing to play under Davy or are their commitment to waterford not as good as other clubs in waterford. They are good enough to be on the panel after their performances in last years club championships so what's the story?

Daniels dropped off I think. Madigan and Dillon i would expect will play a big part in future but don't think they are ready quite yet.

Twomey is probably unfortunate that we have so many options at midfield already that he isnt getting a look in.

Anyone know what happened to Martin O'Neill, he was outstanding in the Crystal last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I was talking to Twomey a few weeks back and he told me he got challenge games against KK and Clarinbridge but didn't make the team. I think its fair to say what deisedude mentioned that we've plenty of options in midfield and Davy & Co. prob have an idea of who they want midfield come championship anyway so he's unfortunate not to get much of a look in. It's a pity Daniels dropped off, he would have been another to push for a place and added more competition.

Was only asking a fella I work with last week, who's a Mt. Sion man, what the story was with Martin O'Neill and he said there wasn't anything up with him, he's just after gone quiet lately.
    excellent post

+1 on Giveitfongs post, it hits home that we have plenty of good options and the selectors will have a job on their hands trying to pick 15 for June 12th. Trying to pick the 15 that will work best as a unit and work for each other will be the key to determining how we'll do for the summer but at least we do have options on the bench that can change a game, unlike a few years ago.
    Speaking of Brian O'Halloran, when's he due back? He's been sidelined for about 3 months now IIRC? And Maurice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Or the infamous defeat to Mayo in the 80's....

Just commenting on some of the above..... Im not as pessimistic as some of the above messages but one swallow dosen't make a summer. We are talking about replacing Kelly with Paudie Mahony based on a league game??? There are loads of young lads coming through dont forget Maurice Shanahan and Brian O'Halloran to come back aswell but for the championship expect to see some of the more experienced campaigners back again. Cant play all these youngsters...

Also the reason Waterford haven't won an all Ireland comes down to one major thing in my opinion... strength in depth. We never had the players to come off the bench to turn games like Cork, KK and Tipp had. Remember Cathal Naughton in 06'? Perfect example. We had 10 or 12 players that picked themselves but there was always a few that werent of that class and there was nothing to come off the bench to dig us out (Im talking abput 98 - 08'). And also the lack of a top quality full back after Cullinane retired... A pivotal position in any all Ireland winning team. Look at any tram that has won al all-Ireland in recent years... Havent done it without a domineering full back eg; Noel Hickey/JJ Delaney, Diarmud O'Sullivan. Brian Lohan ect... amongs of course a number of reasons

Re full back since Sean Cullinane retired, I believe from Day one Tom Feeney got a raw real from successive managers and if he was allowed time to settle in there, as Davy does nowawdays with the present panel of players, maybe we might have won an All-Ireland or two by now. With gERALD AND Justin when Feeney made a mistake he was whipped off the field straight away. At least now under Davy, whether we like his ways or not, we have to admit he allows players match time and to learn from mistakes that they may be making or have made.

deisedude wrote: »
    Daniels dropped off I think. Madigan and Dillon i would expect will play a big part in future but don't think they are ready quite yet.

Twomey is probably unfortunate that we have so many options at midfield already that he isnt getting a look in.

Anyone know what happened to Martin O'Neill, he was outstanding in the Crystal last season?

Did i see some place earlier this year that he is gone playing intermediate hurling this year with Mount Sion or is that Fish O'Neill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

My reservations about davy have grown as time has passed, but you have to give him credit for building such a big panel and giving everyone a shot. When he does leave he leaves a very big panel behind with good strength in depth in pretty muhc every position.

If there could be a guarantee we'd line out in a more conventional manner this Summer instead of the Ulster football tactics he used last year, I'd actually be quietly optimistic heading into the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

John Mullane pulled his hamstring in training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

He's on honeymoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I really think this could our 'Tipp 08' year so to speak. That year their panel got a major overhaul with youth players coming in, and while they just fell short to us in the end look how they've managed to build on that 2 years later.

I know we all want to see an AI come this way and we all want it to happen as soon as possible, but this team does need that dose of youthfulness in a Championship side, it will only benefit us in the future. This is the best group of young players to come out of Waterford since 1992 and I just hope to god that Davy and whoever takes over from him nurtures them in the right way. Maybe Sheedy fancies a job next year :)

I would urge people not to get carried away, especially those that believe that we have this brilliant young team coming through and that there is lots of success around the corner.

I know there is an amount of people on here that cant remember Waterford's last All-Ireland Win, when we beat Offaly in the All-Ireland under 21 in 1992 and in the same year we reached the minor final against Galway. After it people were raving (just as some are right now) about this brillinat young team that Waterford had coming through and that we were going to be winning All-Irelands for years to come. What Happened next. We were drawn against Kerry in the Championship in Walsh Park and we all know what happened then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    John Mullane pulled his hamstring in training

he's a bit busy doing other things!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I would urge people not to get carried away, especially those that believe that we have this brilliant young team coming through and that there is lots of success around the corner.

I know there is an amount of people on here that cant remember Waterford's last All-Ireland Win, when we beat Offaly in the All-Ireland under 21 in 1992 and in the same year we reached the minor final against Galway. After it people were raving (just as some are right now) about this brillinat young team that Waterford had coming through and that we were going to be winning All-Irelands for years to come. What Happened next. We were drawn against Kerry in the Championship in Walsh Park and we all know what happened then.

There are a couple of major differences between the situation with Waterford today and in 1992. The 1992 team had very few players of eventual senior intercounty standard – Paddy O’Donnell (who didn’t continue beyond minor), Tom Feeneyand Paul Flynn. Joxer O’Connor and Ger Harris both got stints with the seniors but didn’t make the grade. The 1992 under-21 team had more players of senior standard (apart from Paul Flynn who came in from the minors and won the title for us). Johnny Brenner and Growler Daly were already established seniors at the time but both became disinterested under George Leahy’s disastrous management and dropped out. Tony Browne and Fergal Hartley were the only other members of that team to make the top grade (Mark O’Sullivan and Tom Fives both got extended trials but didn’t secure places on the senior team).
    By contrast, nine of the Waterford 2009 under-21 team are currently on the senior panel (it would have been ten had Stephen Daniels not dropped out). In addition, seven from the Waterford minor teams of the last two years are also on the panel and I expect this number to be added to over the next couple of years.
    In the past Waterford were reliant on a group of good players coming along at the same time every now and again. Waterford now have an assembly line of good talent coming through (thanks to the great work being done at underage level) and, with two Tony Forristal wins (and one final defeat) in the last four years this is likely to continue. The Waterford senior team is therefore being constantly renewed which will keep us in the top tier of hurling counties – and, as long as we are there, we will always be in with a shout of All-Ireland victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Anyone else see it as a big worry that although we now have a huge panel with plenty of competition for places all over the field that we are nowhere near a settled team? I cannot see how Davy is going to pick a championship team based on the experimentation carried out in the league and you'd worry that we could be very unsettled come championship. To be successful you need a solid unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

very true, and even though all the young players played exceedingly well in the league, it will be a lot different come championship when all the other teams up their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I know there is an amount of people on here that cant remember Waterford's last All-Ireland Win, when we beat Offaly in the All-Ireland under 21 in 1992 and in the same year we reached the minor final against Galway. After it people were raving (just as some are right now) about this brillinat young team that Waterford had coming through and that we were going to be winning All-Irelands for years to come. What Happened next.
    We won 4 Munster titles and a national league and were blessed to enjoy a period where we were the most exciting team in the country. Having followed waterford since 82 Tom i dont remember this 'raving' you talk about but I do remember that we were delighted that now we have a team that could compete with the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

The senior and intermediate club championships are starting this weekend. Some interesting matches, in the east have local affair with Roanmore v Mount Sion and in the west Ballyduff Upper v Abbeyside are two that stand out. Who will be the senior and intermediate club champions for 2011? I think Ballygunner will beat De La Salle this year with maybe Dunhill winning the Intermediate as a result of some good minor and u21 teams these past 4 year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

kkdela6 wrote: »
    very true, and even though all the young players played exceedingly well in the league, it will be a lot different come championship when all the other teams up their game.
    Exactly, wait till the heat of the championship and I bet we'll start to see players fumbling balls and making stupid mistakes, hitting easy wides etc.

One good thing about the young players though is that they won't have any of the baggage some of the older players have i.e. losing so many big games.
    The senior and intermediate club championships are starting this weekend
    One of my friends is back playing hurling after 12 years, playing for Tramore intermediate, really looking forward to it. I don't know much about that level, how would Tramore be rated?

Giveitfong wrote: »
    There are a couple of major differences between the situation with Waterford today and in 1992. The 1992 team had very few players of eventual senior intercounty standard – Paddy O’Donnell (who didn’t continue beyond minor), Tom Feeneyand Paul Flynn. Joxer O’Connor and Ger Harris both got stints with the seniors but didn’t make the grade. The 1992 under-21 team had more players of senior standard (apart from Paul Flynn who came in from the minors and won the title for us). Johnny Brenner and Growler Daly were already established seniors at the time but both became disinterested under George Leahy’s disastrous management and dropped out. Tony Browne and Fergal Hartley were the only other members of that team to make the top grade (Mark O’Sullivan and Tom Fives both got extended trials but didn’t secure places on the senior team).
    By contrast, nine of the Waterford 2009 under-21 team are currently on the senior panel (it would have been ten had Stephen Daniels not dropped out). In addition, seven from the Waterford minor teams of the last two years are also on the panel and I expect this number to be added to over the next couple of years.
    In the past Waterford were reliant on a group of good players coming along at the same time every now and again. Waterford now have an assembly line of good talent coming through (thanks to the great work being done at underage level) and, with two Tony Forristal wins (and one final defeat) in the last four years this is likely to continue. The Waterford senior team is therefore being constantly renewed which will keep us in the top tier of hurling counties – and, as long as we are there, we will always be in with a shout of All-Ireland victory.

Hindsight is a terrific thing. We did not have its advantage after 1992 when people were saying that Waterford were onto a great thing after winning the Under 21 All-Ireland and been beaten in the Minor Final. We were not to know at the time that many of the players involved at the time were not going to make the grade with the seniors. Maybe the same could happen again in the future and some of the players that we are talking about as potential greats might not make it as seniors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hindsight is a terrific thing. We did not have its advantage after 1992 when people were saying that Waterford were onto a great thing after winning the Under 21 All-Ireland and been beaten in the Minor Final. We were not to know at the time that many of the players involved at the time were not going to make the grade with the seniors. Maybe the same could happen again in the future and some of the players that we are talking about as potential greats might not make it as seniors.

Hard to tell alright Tom.

From 1999 to 2004 two teams dominated the Under 21 All Ireland

1999 - Kilkenny
    2000 - Limerick
    2001 - Limerick
    2002 - Limerick
    2003 - Kilkenny
    2004 - Kilkenny

Look at the difference between the 2 counties at senior!

Dont even mention Galway minors, 7 all irelands since they last won senior!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

Does anyone know if Dan Shanahan will be coming back to the squad for the championship. He's very good at getting goals. He was on The Saturday Night show last year and he was talking about all the goals he scored against Cork and against Wexford and against Limerick and against Clare and against Tipperary and against Glaway. He said he is retired but I'd be surprised if this is true, I think Davy has something up his sleeve for the limerick match (big Dan).

And if he is retired why is he still playing for Lismore. There's something up.:cool:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiKuCcI7aVK4bmk_uY-K2ItyOxRae-8N_4Jm1c_v3ZxCCWO9cV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

If Dan plays in the Limerick game I'll invade the pitch wearing nothing more than a Kilkenny hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

tomkelly99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Dan Shanahan will be coming back to the squad for the championship. He's very good at getting goals. He was on The Saturday Night show last year and he was talking about all the goals he scored against Cork and against Wexford and against Limerick and against Clare and against Tipperary and against Glaway. He said he is retired but I'd be surprised if this is true, I think Davy has something up his sleeve for the limerick match (big Dan).

And if he is retired why is he still playing for Lismore. There's something up.:cool:

Dont know where you are getting this idea from. Dan came out very publicaly last autumn to announce he was retiring from Intercounty GAA but would continue playing for his club. He also released a book where he was quite critical of Davy Fitz. While U-turns do happen, but its pretty safe to say we wont be seeing Dan in a Waterford Jersey again.

Daysha wrote: »
    If Dan plays in the Limerick game I'll invade the pitch wearing nothing more than a Kilkenny hat.

You have had bad luck with your promises before Daysha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

He retired from inter county hurling not club hurling, he still playing with Lismore, same as Ken McGrath.
    I doubt Big Dan will come back to playing with Waterford, he mind was made up retiring, I really cant see Davy having a trick up his sleeve regarding Big Dan.

Daysha wrote: »

Think you are safe enough Daysha!!

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    He retired from inter county hurling not club hurling, he still playing with Lismore, same as Ken McGrath.

Oh right, I thought he retired. No Ken is gone altogether sure his knees are broken. He was some hurler. All them games he played in were great. He used to score loads of points and knock a load of lads over with his shoulders.

I think Davy has a trick up his sleeve with Dan. he's a shrewd man - he used to owen a couple of pubs shur. I think he sold them then. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan back at some stage during the summer. Shur isn't his brother Morris playing with Waterford - I might be reading too much into this but isn't that a sign that Dan could be back in the summer?

Oh right, I thought he retired. No Ken is gone altogether sure his knees are broken. He was some hurler. All them games he played in were great. He used to score loads of points and knock a load of lads over with his shoulders.

I think Davy has a trick up his sleeve with Dan. he's a shrewd man - he used to owen a couple of pubs shur. I think he sold them then. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan back at some stage during the summer. Shur isn't his brother Morris playing with Waterford - I might be reading too much into this but isn't that a sign that Dan could be back in the summer?

No Dan wont be back im sorry to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

lads this fella must be taking the piss with this kinda waffle !!!

take it this is a bit of a wind up or you know little about hurling.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Dont know where you are getting this idea from. Dan came out very publicaly last autumn to announce he was retiring from Intercounty GAA but would continue playing for his club. He also released a book where he was quite critical of Davy Fitz. While U-turns do happen, but its pretty safe to say we wont be seeing Dan in a Waterford Jersey again.

Not while Davy is around anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

^^^^

This chap was a bit of a hero on upthedeise AFAIR. If its the same fella, we are in for an entertaining Summer.

daftdave wrote: »
    lads this fella must be taking the piss with this kinda waffle !!!

If he reads Big Dan's book he will soon realise he wont be back to play with Waterford while Davy is there.

Ah,that's a pity so.I was convinsed Dan would be back for the champship game against Limerick. Sure I think his average score against Limerick is something like 12 points, all from goals. Wasn't he an amazing goal machine though lads? In 2008,Dan scored an average of three goals in every game,or else came very close to doing that. I think what set him apart from other players was his blinding pace. He was like a modern day Des Walker of Nottingham Forest fame,haring down the wing putting the fear of God into defenders.

I was talking to a couple down the guillomene there yesterday and they said that they thought Davy was doing a great job.I found it hard to agree with them.They were very old,possibly out from the home on a day trip. Either way,I'd be very confident before the Limerick game. I think we've a great chance against them.I'd make Limerick slight favourites and in a close game,Waterford should win by 14 points.

Ah,that's a pity so.I was convinsed Dan would be back for the champship game against Limerick. Sure I think his average score against Limerick is something like 12 points, all from goals. Wasn't he an amazing goal machine though lads? In 2008,Dan scored an average of three goals in every game,or else came very close to doing that. I think what set him apart from other players was his blinding pace. He was like a modern day Des Walker of Nottingham Forest fame,haring down the wing putting the fear of God into defenders.

I was talking to a couple down the guillomene there yesterday and they said that they thought Davy was doing a great job.I found it hard to agree with them.They were very old,possibly out from the home on a day trip. Either way,I'd be very confident before the Limerick game. I think we've a great chance against them.I'd make Limerick slight favourites and in a close game,Waterford should win by 14 points.

Haha this is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Paddyman123

:confused::confused::confused::confused::D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paddyman123

Good man Tom, thats the stuff boy, i hope waterford do win by 14 points in a close game !!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ahoy hoy

If its a close game, we are to win by 14 points?

That was 07 mate, when Big Dan got Hurler Of The Year

STIG83 wrote: »
    That was 07 mate, when Big Dan got Hurler Of The Year
    No it was 2008 i remember cos i was at all the matches against clare and against offaly and against wexford and against tipp and against the cats. I was at the match earlier in town between mount sion and rowenmoar. It was interesting the owen kelly wasn't even dressed for hurling for sion. Does anyone know what his story is? Someone was saying he had a falling out wit davy and the mount sion manager? And ken is back too, he was knocking lads over with his shoulders today. Brilliant.

Ahoy hoy wrote: »
    If its a close game, we are to win by 14 points?

I've often been to games where its been close but then one team gets four or five goals at the end. Like man united and everton today for example, but a few more goals. If united got four more goals at the end people would be saying it was a very close match but united won by 5-0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Can we keep him please? I can see those days of heartache and this chap here adding a smile to our face :pac:

I've often been to games where its been close but then one team gets four or five goals at the end. Like man united and everton today for example, but a few more goals. If united got four more goals at the end people would be saying it was a very close match but united won by 5-0
    That was Liverpool, i watched the United match!!

No it was 2008 i remember cos i was at all the matches against clare and against offaly and against wexford and against tipp and against the cats. I was at the match earlier in town between mount sion and rowenmoar. It was interesting the owen kelly wasn't even dressed for hurling for sion. Does anyone know what his story is? Someone was saying he had a falling out wit davy and the mount sion manager? And ken is back too, he was knocking lads over with his shoulders today. Brilliant.

You said in a previous post that his knees are gone and now you say he is back with the team, hope your not telling porkies!! :P

Ah lads, this fella is gas, I look forward to coming on here to read his posts!

Was at the Mt Sion v Roanmore game earlier, poor game. Roanmore will do well to stay up if that's the best they can do, whereas Sion won't put much fear into the likes of DLS or Ballygunner. Any match reports from the other games? Heard DLS and BG had shooting practice games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ah lads, this fella is gas, I look forward to coming on here to read his posts!

Was at the Mt Sion v Roanmore game earlier, poor game. Roanmore will do well to stay up if that's the best they can do, whereas Sion won't put much fear into the likes of DLS or Ballygunner. Any match reports from the other games? Heard DLS and BG had shooting practice games.

Who got sent off from Roanmore do you remember? :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement