Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Any challenge game organised for this weekend? Anyone know training times these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Its one thing to have competition for places which is extremely healthy for any team, but to have a panel of 30/35 players where only 5 or 6 are definate starters and the rest of the selection is anyones guess is quite unusual. All successful teams are built on a solid unit and to be honest we are far from a solid unit at the moment.
    It seems to me that Davy and his selectors still do not have clue what the starting championship team is and with no competitive games left until championship I am slightly concerned. While the results have been good and the younglads have been playing well, weve seen in the past that champuionship is a different ballgame. I just hope that we know what were doing, looking at Limerick on Saturday, they are on the way back and are going to pose a huge threat.

I agree. While giving the young lads as some people like to call them their chance all along, and giving them match time to prove themselves has to be welcomed, i and i know many others would like to have seen maybe in the last game or two in the league, in the game last night, in the game coming up against Kilkenny and in any other games that are planned between now and the Limerick games, Waterford to have had a settled team go out to play, ie the team that is most likely to play against Limerick. Having a settled side can be a very good thing and chopping and changing the side game after game can lead to doubts running into the heads of some about certain things.

I know the selectors may be doing this (have a settled team) in games at training, but it is not the same as doing it in proper games. The players on the 'B' side if you want to call it that will know what is been expected of the 'A' Team and maybe without thinking will allow them to do what Davy and the lads are asking of them. They would be better off trying these things in competitive games and tournament games where to an extent there could be the element of surprise to try a few new things and to profect them ahead of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Any challenge game organised for this weekend? Anyone know training times these days?
    I think they are playing Tipp next opening up a John Doyle center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah that's this Sunday in Holycross I think. Although I doubt both sides will field their strongest teams, it should still be a good test to see where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

thesultan wrote: »
    I think they are playing Tipp next opening up a John Doyle center.

We seem to be opening more centers than Fianna Fail these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My team for the limerick game

1 C Hennessy

2 D Fives
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 D Prendergast
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran

8 S Molumphy
    9 S O Sullivan

10 D O Sullivan
    11 E Mcgrath
    12 E Kelly (Gavin Crotty if kelly is not playing)

13 J Mullane/Seamus Prendergast if Mullane is out
    14 S Walsh
    15 T Ryan

We really need to win the game or else it will be Dublin :(, Galway:(,Wexford or Kilkenny in Phase 2 of the qulifers

Surely Tony Browne for no. 5? And Richie Foley and Maurice for 10 and 12 respectively? I wouldn't have E. McGrath anywhere near the starting 15. Sully to centre forward. Not a great deal of experience in the FB line and I think there are a few ahead of T. Ryan in the pecking order for no.15 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

PTH2009 wrote: »

1 C Hennessy

2 D Fives
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 D Prendergast
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran

8 S Molumphy
    9 S O Sullivan

10 D O Sullivan
    11 E Mcgrath

14 S Walsh
    15 T Ryan

We really need to win the game or else it will be Dublin :(, Galway:(,Wexford or Kilkenny in Phase 2 of the qulifers

You have to be joking?

1 A Power

2 D Fives
    3 W Hutchison
    4 N Connors

5 T Browne
    6 M Walsh
    7 P Mahony

8 S Molumphy
    9 K Moran

10 M Shanahan
    11 S O Sullivan
    12 R Foley

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 E Kelly

Kelly will be playing he's the most talented player in the county.
    Lawlor is diabolical at FB lacks the tenacity. Shane Fives probably unlucky with injuries to stake a claim at FB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

1 C Hennessy

2 D Fives
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 D Prendergast
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran

8 S Molumphy
    9 S O Sullivan

10 D O Sullivan
    11 E Mcgrath

14 S Walsh
    15 T Ryan

I'd have a radically different team!

1. Power (Definately best keeper in Waterford on current form, I suspect Davy will prob play Clinton though)

2. D. Fives (Nailed on certainty in light of what happened to Murphy)
    3. Hutchinson (Hesitantly ahead of Lawlor)
    4. Connors

5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick
    7. Dec Prendergast (played well here last year in more natural position for him)

8. Moran (Not his best position but better than playing him in half forward line)
    9. Molumphy (Not offering enough of an attacking threat for the half forward line and his ability to win dirty ball is best utilised here)

10. Foley (He can score from play, better option here than Molumphy even if not his natural position)
    11. Shane O' Sullivan (Good in the air, definately needed here more than midfield)
    12. Maurice Shanahan (Dont see the point playing him in the corner as he drifts out the field anyway)

13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh (And only here mind, doesnt have the pace for the corner. Great under the high ball. I expect this to be his break out season)
    15. Kelly (If he gets his act together, otherwise probably Brian O' Sullivan)

• Advertisement

johnfarmer wrote: »
    You have to be joking?

1 A Power

2 D Fives
    3 W Hutchison
    4 N Connors

5 T Browne
    6 M Walsh
    7 P Mahony

8 S Molumphy
    9 K Moran

10 M Shanahan
    11 S O Sullivan
    12 R Foley

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 E Kelly

Lawlor is diabolical at FB lacks the tenacity. Shane Fives probably unlucky with injuries to stake a claim at FB.

Haha near identical to mine, beat me to it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

johnfarmer wrote: »

Talent isnt much good without application and a modicum of a brain, as an outsider I wouldnt have him anywhere near the team to be honest and also Tony Browne, Brick Walsh and John Mullane are more talented imo and have of course far better attitudes.

Overall the team you have selected is far better than the original one posted alright and I agree with you about Lawlor, and again as a neutral or perspective opponent I would be delighted to see the first line-up selected as opposed to the second one.

Will Kelly even appear this summer for Waterford. He didnt appear in the last few games. Rumour has it he walked off the panel because of something that happend in the mount sion/passage game at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

:D
    deisedude wrote: »

1. Power (Definately best keeper in Waterford on current form, I suspect Davy will prob play Clinton though)

4. Connors

5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick
    7. Dec Prendergast (played well here last year in more natural position for him)

8. Moran (Not his best position but better than playing him in half forward line)
    9. Molumphy (Not offering enough of an attacking threat for the half forward line and his ability to win dirty ball is best utilised here)

10. Foley (He can score from play, better option here than Molumphy even if not his natural position)
    11. Shane O' Sullivan (Good in the air, definately needed here more than midfield)
    12. Maurice Shanahan (Dont see the point playing him in the corner as he drifts out the field anyway)

13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh (And only here mind, doesnt have the pace for the corner. Great under the high ball. I expect this to be his break out season)
    That's exactly the team I went for. Great, misery loves company :D. You can read my (ahem) reasoning here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

1. Hennessy (More reliable than Power even if Power is better shotstopper)
    2. Ringo (Experienced campaigner, unlike Fives. Murphy Injured)
    3. Hutchinson (Best option I feel. Lawlor makes me nervous in there)
    4. Connors
    5. Tony (If hes not fit enough he shouldnt be on the panel, so i assume hes good to start)
    6. Brick
    7. Moran
    8. Foley (Or swap with Sully)
    9. Molumphy (Even though he'll be wasted inside corner forward again I presume)
    10. Kelly (Has to play)
    11.Sully (Did well in league here)
    12. Seamus Pender (Experienced campaigner)
    13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. T. Ryan/B O'Sullivan either or. Both similar players.
    Paudie Mahony dosent do enough from open play but Id bring him in if the frees are going bad, O'Halloran hasnt played and Shanahan is injured so thats my startin XV V Limerick

deiseach wrote: »
    :D
    That's exactly the team I went for. Great, misery loves company :D. You can read my (ahem) reasoning here

Really enjoying the blog deiseach, some good match reports.

Maurice Shanahan out for 8 weeks apparently:( Paudie Mahoney or Seamus Predergast to take his place i'd say

• Advertisement

glad to see that those of you that have picked a team to play limerick that no one has put Brick at full back where plenty were suggesting he should be earlier this year and late last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

4. Connors

5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick

13. Mullane
    I would go with that too, pretty much. Definitely agree about Molumphy in midfield. He plays there anyway (even though he lines out as a half forward) which means we only have 5 forwards, don't like that. I'd say give Kelly the Limerick game and anything less than a committed performance then he should be dropped. I'd kinda like to see Power in goal too but we know we can rely on Clinton at Championship level so I'd feel safer with him.

Maurice Shanahan out for 8 weeks apparently:( Paudie Mahoney or Seamus Predergast to take his place i'd say

Would Limerick blow him out of it if he played in the same way they tried in 2001 when John Mullane played against them in Cork. There is a slightly different mentality in Limerick and CLare as to how to play hurling than there is to say Waterford, Cork and Tipperary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Deise Tom wrote: »
    glad to see that those of you that have picked a team to play limerick that no one has put Brick at full back where plenty were suggesting he should be earlier this year and late last year.
    But who to go centre back? Think there's merit in Brick at full back as it looks like our weakest position.

5 D Prendergast
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran
    Leaving out Tony Browne? Brave. Leaving out Tony Browne and not drawing anyone's attention to it? Not so brave ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers, deisedude. I'll have to raise my game now that mossy88 is on the case!

very strong rumours of an eoin kelly walk out from the county panel. A huge loss for us, we needed him this year.

Would Limerick blow him out of it if he played in the same way they tried in 2001 when John Mullane played against them in Cork. There is a slightly different mentality in Limerick and CLare as to how to play hurling than there is to say Waterford, Cork and Tipperary.

Before yes i'd agree with you. The physicality is completely gone from Clares game now. Hard to tell with Limerick as the only game i've seen under Donal O'Grady was the league final so only time will tell. We probably have the most physical brand of hurling of all Munster teams at the moment being honest

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah that's this Sunday in Holycross I think. Although I doubt both sides will field their strongest teams, it should still be a good test to see where we are.

Ballyduff and Lismore is on at the same time in Dungarvan.

very strong rumours of an eoin kelly walk out from the county panel. A huge loss for us, we needed him this year.

If this is true well then he's a complete twit. But wouldnt be suprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    If this is true well then he's a complete twit. But wouldnt be suprising.

He may be, but he's more sinned against than sinning this time.

Henno30 wrote: »
    He may be, but he's more sinned against than sinning this time.

Sure the whole Mount Sion thing he drew it upon himself. If he'd just put his head down instead of whinging and moaning. Perhaps we'd be as well off without him as he's only a toxic influence at this stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I heard two versions of why Kelly left/was leaving but i'm sure there's a couple of more half stories on this knocking around. Until something is announced, it will run and run.

A fine hurler but needs to sort his head out imo as he always looks like a guy who thinks the world has it in for him.

Seeing as ye've all done it, I'd go with:

1. I'd really like to say Power but with Clinton's experience I'd just about give him the nod.

2. D. Fives (since Murphy may not make it)
    3. Hutchinson (him or Lawlor doesn't inspire too much confidence but Hutchy just about)
    4. Connors

5. Tony Browne
    6. Brick
    7. Dec Prendergast

8. Moran (Agree that it's prob not his best position but I'd rather him there than half forward)
    9. Molumphy (He's only effective here I think and a waste in the forwards)

10. Foley (and probably give him free taking duties)
    11. Shane O' Sullivan
    12. Seamus Prender (If Maurice wasn't going to be injured I'd put him in but Prender's experience wins it over Mahony, Crotty et al)

13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. AN Other (really depends who's doing well. Kelly possibly but is he worth it anymore? If not then one of Ryan, O'Sullivan, O'Halloran (injury permitting), Crotty etc.)

FB position as usual the worrying spot. Also, with a FB line of Fives, Hutch/Lawlor and Connors, it isn't a hugely experienced FB line and I think it is a line the opposition would target to exploit.Still, I believe young Fives has earned his place.
    But who to go centre back? Think there's merit in Brick at full back as it looks like our weakest position.

The natural choice I think would be Moran to CB, which we could then pair say Foley and Molumphy midfield but we all know Davy doesn't look as though he'll budge from moving Brick from CB.

The Kelly situation is awkward. I think if he was to start, it'd nearly be in hope more than anything else that he'd have one of those games where everything he touches turns to gold and we all know it's been a while since he's had one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

If the alleged comments are true, and at the moment they have only rumour status, then I wouldn't blame the guy for walking away from the panel - despite his various histrionics in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Whats an Inter County Hurling season without Eoin Kelly rumours :rolleyes:

Maurice Shan out for 8 weeks? Big blow. He'll miss the u21s championship game against Tipp too and if they win that probably the next game aswell. Hes had an awful year with injuries tbf.
    Can someone please enlighten what the story with Kelly is. Is he gone & if so why? I know the young lads have been doing well but having already lost Dan and Ken this season we can hardly do with losing another experienced player, and a quality one at that.. no matter what the issues are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Henno30 wrote: »
    If the alleged comments are true, and at the moment they have only rumour status, then I wouldn't blame the guy for walking away from the panel - despite his various histrionics in the past.

Yeah same here, if the rumours are true i,d feel sorry for the guy.

Cake Man wrote: »
    FB position as usual the worrying spot. Also, with a FB line of Fives, Hutch/Lawlor and Connors, it isn't a hugely experienced FB line and I think it is a line the opposition would target to exploit.Still, I believe young Fives has earned his place.

What about putting Ringo in there, especially if Murphy is to miss out for a bit of extra experience.

Anyone know why Tallow are playing Ringo in the middle of the field or in attack. Surley his best place is in the back.

I know the young lads have been doing well but having already lost Dan and Ken this season we can hardly do with losing another experienced player, and a quality one at that.. no matter what the issues are.

How many experienced guys have we lost in the last two or three years. You cant but wonder is there a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

How many experienced guys have we lost in the last two or three years. You cant but wonder is there a reason.

We haven't lost that many experienced players in the last 2 or 3 years, just Dan and Ken i'd say due to age. Kelly hopefully will still be with us, the way he has been treated by some of his own has been despicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I suppose its pointless asking for some details on the Kelly thing? Hate being out of the loop up here in Dublin.:(

alllcounty wrote: »
    We haven't lost that many experienced players in the last 2 or 3 years, just Dan and Ken i'd say due to age. Kelly hopefully will still be with us, the way he has been treated by some of his own has been despicable.

The Bull, Paul Flynn, Tom Feeney, Dave Bennett, Jack Kennedy......... Maybe age and injuries in Bennetts case was catching up on some to an extent, but there was and is still life left in them. Tony Browne is older than all of them and he is still going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

flahavaj wrote: »
    I suppose its pointless asking for some details on the Kelly thing? Hate being out of the loop up here in Dublin.:(

I think it's better that people on here mind themselves on what they say on this issue . The moderator on "An Fear Rua" appears to have removed a thread about the Kelly issue from his forum , and rightly so . People had started spouting names without knowing the full facts , some in fact were commenting on rumors of what happened at the game without having been there to witness events first hand . I think it should be dropped and hopefully we will still have the services of Kelly come the Limerick game .

• Advertisement

Deisetrek wrote: »
    I think it's better that people on here mind themselves on what they say on this issue . The moderator on "An Fear Rua" appears to have removed a thread about the Kelly issue from his forum , and rightly so . People had started spouting names without knowing the full facts , some in fact were commenting on rumors of what happened at the game without having been there to witness events first hand . I think it should be dropped and hopefully we will still have the services of Kelly come the Limerick game .

I agree and maybe the moderators here should think about knocking off messages as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

The Bull, Paul Flynn, Tom Feeney, Dave Bennett, Jack Kennedy......... Maybe age and injuries in Bennetts case was catching up on some to an extent, but there was and is still life left in them. Tony Browne is older than all of them and he is still going.

Tony Brown is a fluke of nature, he is a phenomenal athlete therefore you are not comparing like with like as most of the names you quoted were coming to the end of their careers. In any case our panel is fairly strong but anyone under 30 and has the skill shouldn't be retiring from the county scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I don't necessarily have a problem with people genuinely asking whether something has happened, it's when people start answering them with wild claims about such and such happening without having the links or sources to back them up that we have a problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Didnt Jack Kennedy walk off the panel in a waah?

What about putting Ringo in there, especially if Murphy is to miss out for a bit of extra experience.

Anyone know why Tallow are playing Ringo in the middle of the field or in attack. Surley his best place is in the back.

Thought it was because he was ill tbh, he has had a bad time with injuries and illnesses the past few years

STIG83 wrote: »
    Didnt Jack Kennedy walk off the panel in a waah?

Subbed against Tipp at half time in an All Ireland semi final of 2008 i think and left the ground straight away. Think i read somewhere he was sick of being first player hauled off in many games, felt he wasnt getting a fair deal

• Advertisement

Davy Fitz wants rid of the older lads. Eoin Murphy was being treated very shabbily aswell this year before he got injured...

Davy Fitz wants rid of the older lads. Eoin Murphy was being treated very shabbily aswell this year before he got injured...

Why, because he wasn't playing him? We all know he gives the experienced players a rest at the start of the league at this stage and gives the young lads a shot.

This conspiracy against older players thing has to stop. Half the players mentioned were past their best. Feeney and Bennett were in their 30's, Dan and Ken while legends were also past their best and living off their reputations in the end. Apparently Stephen Daniels is going to America for the summer and thats why he left the panel. Phelan is about the only justifiable claim to a player who you could argue should have got better treatment

alllcounty wrote: »
    Tony Brown is a fluke of nature, he is a phenomenal athlete

Would prefer to say a player that looked after himself both on and off the field of playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Would prefer to say a player that looked after himself both on and off the field of playing.

Rarely ever had trouble with injuries during his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Fingers crossed these rumours about kelly leaving the panel are true, I think his toxic influence will eventually unsettle our team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement