Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Lads , guaranteed there wont be a peep out of the Limerick camp for the next few weeks , another sign of bad management!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think we could be in trouble this year without our senoir stars Eoin Kelly,Eoin Murphy and Ken Mcgrath. People are saying where going to do well because we had a good league but theres a huge difference between league and championship and the pressure might get to the youngfellas. I would feel a lot more confident if Kelly was playing with us on june 12th , on his day he is a brillent hurler and can score from anywhere. whatever has happend the people responsible should not be left near a waterford senoir team again, why cant our squad all get along (we never hear about in camp rows in Kilkenny, Tipperary,Dublin). I would hate to be Davys shoes in the next few weeks and if we are to be beaten by Limerick than it could be Justin thing (resiging like in 2008) all over again and nobody wants that.

2011 is a big year in Waterford (Tall Ships) and a good hurling season would really be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

can anyone PM me what is happening with Mr Kelly!

tis hard being out foreign!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Holycross Ballycahill GAA Club is pleased to announce the official opening of the wonderful John Doyle Centre in St Michael's GAA Grounds on Sunday May 8th by GAA President Christy Cooney - an event which will be marked by the clash of Tipperary and Waterford in a senior hurling challenge game with throw-in at 7:00pm.
    The wonderful facilities at the clubs grounds have been hugely enhanced in recent times following investment of in excess of 1.4 million Euro and now provides a roadmap for the future of Gaelic Games and other leisure pursuits in the parish, and indeed in Mid Tipperary.
    Fittingly, the state-of-the-art and extremely impressive new clubhouse and recreation centre has been dedicated to the memory to the clubs best known exponent of the ancient game - The Legend himself, the Late John Doyle who was laid to rest in his native soil on New Year's Eve last.
    Doyle, winner of eight All-Ireland senior hurling medals on the field of play hurled in the blue and gold jersey from 1946 as a minor, until 1967 when he retired after Kilkenny had defeated Tipperary with Doyle bidding for his ninth Celtic Cross.
    His aura was perhaps best captured by scribe Paddy Downey when he wrote of Doyle, " It was the quality of style that was intrinsically a part of the man; the rugged power, the sweeping stroke, the touch of dare-devilry, perhaps ; and certainly the cold courage. The image was fathered by Kickham's mythical Matt the Thresher. Tipperary has always had someone - many times, more than one - to fill the role. For seventeen years, and to this day, they have had John Doyle, who more than any other player of this generation, personifies that traditional image of Tipperary hurling and hurling men".

The John Doyle Centre

Holycross Ballycahill has always been to the forefront when it came to developing facilities for player and spectator alike with the establishment of the fully covered stand being one of the first of its kind for a club. A scoreboard was added, press box, spectator seating, dressing rooms for players and referees etc. And, it was no major surprise when the officers and committee looked around in more recent times and saw that infrastructural facilities needed to be upgraded and enhanced once more.
    The club recognised the need to develop its facilities in the parish and embarked upon an ambitious redevelopment programme which has seen the emergence of the state-of-the-art John Doyle Centre. This wonderful facility is being used extensively by young and old alike in the parish and has helped provide a recreational focal point of which the club and its members can be proud.
    The project, which began as a dream some years ago, is now very much a reality in St Michael's GAA grounds, thanks to the hard work and dedication of the working group established to oversee the development - their dedication to the cause and determination to do things right, has seen the club leap forward by decades and the facilities being catapulted headlong into the 21st century.
    The addition of an extra full size playing pitch adjacent to the current one having purchased the necessary land, enhances the clubs position further still and with the Ballycahill end of the parish also receiving attention in the form of an up-grade to the dressing rooms and facilities, the club is facing into the next era of the GAA's distinguished history in the parish in a very positive and progressive frame of mind.
    A substantial portion of the development work undertaken has been achieved on a voluntary basis with teams of volunteers from the parish converging on the facilities at appointed times to tackle various aspects. This has helped to further cement the GAA's volunteer ethos within the club and has fostered and renewed a pride of place in members.
    The John Doyle Centre now contains four large dressing rooms; referees and officials rooms; meeting rooms; store rooms; kitchen facilities; indoor handball alley/ hurling wall; fully equipped gymnasium and sauna; treatment room; large upper floor viewing area and leisure space; all-weather ball wall; 1km perimeter track; and extensive car parking facilities. It is a fitting tribute to a Legend and will enshrine the memory and spirit of John Doyle within.
    Tipperary and Waterford will clash swords in what promises to be an entertaining and interesting spectacle as both Davy Fitzgerald and Declan Ryan come closer to choosing their starting fifteen for their respective championship outings. Both are expected to field strong teams for the tournament to honour one of the games greats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

someone PM me with the Eoin kelly story please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

All's well according to the Indo:

Kelly back from the brink

Davy Fitzgerald appears to have averted a major crisis in Waterford hurling by persuading Eoin Kelly to remain a member of the squad, writes Colm keys.

Kelly trained with Waterford last night after a meeting with Fitzgerald earlier in the evening at which he signalled his intention to quit inter-county hurling.

The player is believed to have become disillusioned with the game in recent weeks and that feeling spiked after a club match at the weekend when he featured for Passage against his old club Mount Sion.

Rumours swept Waterford yesterday that Kelly was preparing to walk away, but his presence at training last night, confirmed to the Irish Independent by Waterford chairman Tom Cunningham, appears to have quelled all doubts.

Waterford sources said Fitzgerald was confident he could convince the prolific free-taker to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

deiseach wrote: »
    All's well according to the Indo:

Kelly back from the brink

Davy Fitzgerald appears to have averted a major crisis in Waterford hurling by persuading Eoin Kelly to remain a member of the squad, writes Colm keys.

Kelly trained with Waterford last night after a meeting with Fitzgerald earlier in the evening at which he signalled his intention to quit inter-county hurling.

The player is believed to have become disillusioned with the game in recent weeks and that feeling spiked after a club match at the weekend when he featured for Passage against his old club Mount Sion.

Rumours swept Waterford yesterday that Kelly was preparing to walk away, but his presence at training last night, confirmed to the Irish Independent by Waterford chairman Tom Cunningham, appears to have quelled all doubts.

Waterford sources said Fitzgerald was confident he could convince the prolific free-taker to stay.

Fitz should have left him walk, kelly will never settle for only club hurling, his ego won't allow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Great news that Kelly is staying Im delighted. We need him hes a class act.

Quite frankly I find some of the comments posted above about him quite disgraceful. People have short memories.

People claim that were better off without him and he wouldnt walk away anyway because of his ego.

People forget that were talking about an ameteur sportsman with a young family and like many in this country has struggled to find regular employment over the last few years. Then take in the commitment thats needed to play intercounty hurling... and the constant abuse on top of it.

Ive never been a huge fan but Im with Kelly on this one. Fair play to him for staying with it cos I know where Id have told the GAA where to stick it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If it is true that he's come back, then I'd be happy enough. I'd rather even have him there as an option than not to have him there at all. The hope is that he'll want to prove a point now and let his hurling do the talking and please God we'll see the best of EK. My only concern is what kind of effect this will have on the dressing room. Would the other players respect him and/or be willing to play with/for him? Would it disrupt the team spirit and togetherness? Would other players feel they'd get the same attention if they were in Kelly's situation and be persuaded to come back if they declared they were packing it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Folks,

In relation to players leaving the panel, we need to start being realistic here. While many people would love to have the opportunity to play at the highest level, few know the level of commitment which is required to do so.

The level of physical conditioning in particular is light years ahead today in comparison to say 15 years ago. You are looking at training most days per week, for nearly every month of the year. On top of that you've got to focus on your diet, and a lot of guys have to spend more money on food and supplements than most other people, which they will go out of pocket for.

There was a thing called the 'Celtic Tiger', which guaranteed work for every person in Ireland who wanted it. Cushy jobs were available for lads who wanted to dedicate a lot of their time to GAA. Thats nearly all gone now. You've got to be worried about going in with a sprained ankle, sore hand, even a black eye. Employers are now cautious about hiring lads who plays intercounty.

So, personally I don't feel that any of these guys owe me anything. If a guy decides he doesn't want to play anymore, good luck to him. The only reason you'd be doing it is if you enjoyed doing it. If you stop enjoying it whats the point? Its an amateur sport after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Deisebhoy I came here to post the exact same thing. The fact is Waterford are a weaker hurling team without Eoin Kelly on the panel. We all know his temperment is questionable at times, but to repeat what was said earlier he also happens to be one of the most naturally talented hurlers in the country. How would last years Munster final turn out if he hadn't banged in that screamer from 20 yards after Corks 2 quick goals for example?

Personally I think if he's fit then he should still be starting against Limerick, just not with free-taking duty on top of it. Play him in his natural position and he can give us those much-needed points from the half-forward line. If he's not playing well, he should be dropped just like any other player would.

But this whole 'Waterford doesn't need Eoin Kelly' business is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Great news that Kelly is staying Im delighted. We need him hes a class act.

Quite frankly I find some of the comments posted above about him quite disgraceful. People have short memories.

People claim that were better off without him and he wouldnt walk away anyway because of his ego.

People forget that were talking about an ameteur sportsman with a young family and like many in this country has struggled to find regular employment over the last few years. Then take in the commitment thats needed to play intercounty hurling... and the constant abuse on top of it.
    Ive never been a huge fan but Im with Kelly on this one. Fair play to him for staying with it cos I know where Id have told the GAA where to stick it

Deiseboy, I agree that Kelly is a fine hurler....skillful, strong and a deadly finisher. One thing he is not is a "Class Act".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

deisedude wrote: »
    Subbed against Tipp at half time in an All Ireland semi final of 2008 i think and left the ground straight away. Think i read somewhere he was sick of being first player hauled off in many games, felt he wasnt getting a fair deal

i would say the game you're thinking of was the 09 munster final.
    kennedy came on as a sub in the 08 all-ireland semi and took eamonn corcoran to the cleaners.
    waterford wouldn't have won that game (the only semi-final victory in eight attempts since 98) without kennedy.
    he played well when he came on as a sub in the 04 semi as well.
    pity he's not on the panel cos waterford could do with puck-out options at 10 and 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

kennedy came on as a sub in the 08 all-ireland semi and took eamonn corcoran to the cleaners.
    waterford wouldn't have won that game (the only semi-final victory in eight attempts since 98) without kennedy.
    pity he's not on the panel cos waterford could do with puck-out options at 10 and 12.

Yep you are right, my mistake

And if needed he could also play in defence. A few versitile players in the panel is always handy, especialy say if you have a back sent off and rather than waste a sub putting on a recognised back to make sure you have your full complement of players at that end of the field, if you hade someone like Kennedy playing you could switch him back.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    And if needed he could also play in defence. A few versitile players in the panel is always handy, especialy say if you have a back sent off and rather than waste a sub putting on a recognised back to make sure you have your full complement of players at that end of the field, if you hade someone like Kennedy playing you could switch him back.

i felt bad for kennedy alright, was a bit of a james murray character, always the first to go in signs of trouble, didnt always have a great game but at this stage some of our forwards havent had a decent game in the championship in about 3 years. The 08 semi final he was unreal, remember one point he scored was unreal.
    Also in the same game lads eoin mcgrath scored a point, now im not a big fan of his hurlin wise but jesus it was the best point id ever seen, out on the sideline, over his shoulder, without looking. amazing.

Great win for the lads up in Holycross tonight against Tipp, 2-21 to 1-17 the final score. They lined up like this in the programme but heard Eoin Kelly ended up starting:

1. Clinton Hennessy
    2. Jerome Maher
    3. Wayne Hutchinson
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Michael Walsh
    7. Jamie Nagle
    8. Eoin McGrath
    9. Kevin Moran
    10. Gavin Crotty
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Pauric Mahony
    13. Tomas Ryan
    14. Seamus Prendergast
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

That's a good result for us, pleased with that. Preparations continuing to go well ahead of June 12 with another win under the belts.

From what I've read, Tipp had Cummins, Paul Curran, Coughlan, Conor O Mahony, Padraic Maher, David Young, Shane McGrath, Noel McGrath, Woodlock, Kerwick, Callinan and their Eoin Kelly playing so that was a strong enough team they fielded too. Encouraging result so well done to the lads.

Heard Mullane came on near the end and Paudric Mahony played quite well too, anyone have a breakdown of the scores, match report or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lismore had a 4 point win over Ballyduff Upper today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cake Man wrote: »
    That's a good result for us, pleased with that. Preparations continuing to go well ahead of June 12 with another win under the belts.

From what I've read, Tipp had Cummins, Paul Curran, Coughlan, Conor O Mahony, Padraic Maher, David Young, Shane McGrath, Noel McGrath, Woodlock, Kerwick, Callinan and their Eoin Kelly playing so that was a strong enough team they fielded too. Encouraging result so well done to the lads.

Heard Mullane came on near the end and Paudric Mahony played quite well too, anyone have a breakdown of the scores, match report or anything?

Curran and Young didnt play, Waterfords Eoin Kelly very poor was well beat by Lee Mackey who has never even played a competitive game for Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Deise Tiger

Tipperary 1-17 Waterford 2-21
    Tipperary Team
    1 Brendan Cummins
    2 John Coughlan
    3 George Hannigan
    4 Lee Mackey
    5 John O’Keeffe
    6 Padraig Maher
    7 Conor O’Mahony
    8 Shane McGrath
    9 James Woodlock
    10 Pat Kerwick
    11 Seamus Callinan
    12 Noel McGrath
    13 John O’Neill
    14 Eoin Kelly
    15 Shane Bourke
    The scorers were James Woodlock 0-01, Seamus Callinan 1-01, John O’Neill 0-02, Eoin Kelly 0-08, Shane Bourke 0-03, Pat Kerwick 0-02
    Waterford Team
    1. Clinton Hennessy
    2. Jerome Maher
    3. Wayne Hutchinson
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Declan Prendergast
    7. Jamie Nagle
    8. Eoin McGrath
    9. Kevin Moran
    10. Gavin Crotty
    11. Shane O’Sullivan
    12. Pauric Mahony
    13. Eoin Kelly
    14. Seamus Prendergast
    15. Brian O’Sullivan
    The scorers were Pauric Mahony 0-09, Brian O’Sullivan 1-02, Shane Walsh 1-02, Kevin Moran 0-02, Eoin McGrath0-01, Shane Casey 0-01, Noel Connors 0-01, John Mullane 0-02

Waterford played with the aid of a strong breeze in the opening half and led by 1-11 to 1-09 at half time. Pauric Mahony was very impressive and probably cemented his place in the Championship team after tonight. Brian O’Sullivan also impressive. Unfortunately Declan Prendergast looked a good bit off the pace in the back where he was tested on a few occasions by Seamus Callinan. It gives me no pleasure to say that Eoin Kelly was completely off the pace of the game and it looks like he will have to make do with a place on the bench come June if the team is picked on current form. He was many yards off the pace while his touch seemed to have completely deserted him. I would love to see him regain his form of old as a player of his ability in top form would be a huge asset to our forward line.

A good few changes in the second half. Brick came in for Declan and solidified the whole back line. Got bet for the first ball by Callinan but that was it, dominated from there on in and set up many plays as only the Brick can do. Philip Mahony came on for Tony (Tony hurled alot of ball in opening half and Championship place is Guaranteed in my opinion). Ringo came in and was also very impressive. A dark horse for a June start!!
    Noel Connors was again outstanding. A brilliant point after coming up the field after some team passing and finished brilliantly. His second half block to stop a certain goal from Shane Bourke just verified his position as one of the top 2 corner backs in the game.

Shane Walsh is certain to start full forward come June. Top class again when introduced at half time. Tipp introduced Paul Curran (as per the programme) at full back, Walsh won virtually every ball that came his way. Although Padraig Maher was dominant for periods of the game especially in the opening half, Shane O’Sullivan is now our best option at NO. 11. He’s good in the air, he knows where the posts are as shown by the excellent point he scored tonight but he is also an excellent play maker which can only suit the likes of Mullane, Walsh, Mahony etc.

Moran made a few surging runs up the centre, scoring 2 points in the process. Made one or 2 school boy errors in the handling of the ball but overall he had a fine game. He’s a handful for any defence when he gets on them runs.

Clinton could easily have seen red tonight, if it was a Championship or league match, the officials might have taken a different view of things. Got involved with Eoin Kelly after a melee and seemed to push him away by putting his hurley to Kelly's throat. It was a bit like the Larkin incident in League final in terms of the force of impact, nothing major but a very stupid thing to do as a referee could easily given him a red card for it.

Overall it was a typical challenge/tournament match. Tipperary supporters will probably feel it was a poor game while Waterford supporters will draw the positives from it and feel it was a decent game and workout. Declan Ryan and Tommy Dunne won't be losing any sleep as they were missing a good few regulars due to injury and a round of club games in the North Tipp Championship this weekend. It will certainly give Davy and the Waterford management plenty to think about (in a positive way) as they prepare for the Limerick showdown. The young guns are making great progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Deise Tiger

Correction to make: it was Ciaran Cowan from Borris illeigh that came on at full back from Tipperary, not Paul Curran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I really think Shane Walsh is going to surprise quite a few people outside the county this Summer. He seems to be playing very well everytime he lines out for club and county these days. What a transformation. We haven't had a legit threat at FF for manys a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford senior hurlers cruised to a comfortable seven-point victory tonight in a tournament game to mark the opening of the Holycross-Ballycahill club’s impressive new club centre. The game was spoiled to an extent by a very strong and blustery wind which blow diagonally across the pitch but generally favoured Waterford in the first half.
    Tipperary started with quite a strong team apart from a rookie full back line which came under a lot of pressure as Waterford dominated the early exchanges, with a neat finish by corner forward Brian O’Sullivan from a pass by Seamus Prendergast giving them a good early platform. However, Tipperary eventually developed a good foothold in the half forward line where the strong running Seamus Callinan and Noel McGrath began to exert an influence and they threatened several times before Callinan finally ran through for a goal to put the home side ahead 1-8 to 1-7 after 30 minutes. Waterford’s response was impressive with three quick points cancelling out the Tipp goal and the visitors went in two points ahead, 1-11 to 1-9, at half time.
    Waterford brought in Brick Walsh, Philip Mahony, Shane Casey and Shane Walsh (for Declan Prendergast, Tony Browne, Eoin Kelly and Seamus Prendergast, respectively) for the second half and these were to have a major influence on the game’s outcome. Walsh scored Waterford’s second goal seven minutes into the half when he fired home after Paudie Mahony’s 20-metre free had been blocked out.
    Tipp appeared to lose their shape and strength from a series of second half substitutes some of whom were from the home club. Waterford, by contrast, were able to bring on high-quality reserves in the shape of John Mullane, Aidan Kearney and Liam Lawlor all of whom did very well, and at one stage in the second half the Waterford forwards were toying with the Tipp defence.
    Tipp made a big effort late on to work a goal, but while they did threaten seriously on several occasions, good defending and poor finishing were to deny them. Tipp only managed eight points playing with the wind in the second half to Waterford’s 1-10, leaving a final score of 2-21 to 1-17.
    Looking in more detail at the Waterford team, Clinton Hennessy performed reliably in goal. However, he appears now to be trying to place most of his puckouts and, while allowance has to be made for the swirling wind, his success rate in terms of hitting targets was not great. Jerome Maher played the full game game at corner back and I thought he did okay.
    Noel Connors looked back to his best in the other corner (he has fantastic technique) and although he went off in the second half after a typically brave last-ditch tackle to stop a likely goal, it did not look as though the injury was serious. Before that he scored one of the points of the game, running maybe 50 metres to take a good pass from Brian O’Sullivan following an excellent passing movement to fire over the bar on the run. Connors was replaced by Liam Lawlor who did really well in an unfamiliar corner back position.
    Although his opposite number, Eoin Kelly, got four points from play I still thought Wayne Hutchinson did very well at full back with his strength, first touch and good use of the ball. Tony Browne played the first half at right half back and I thought he did really well. He was replaced for the second half by Philip Mahony who I also thought did well, although he did allow himself to be turned too easily on a couple of occasions.
    Declan Prendergast started at centre back which was a peculiar decision, as he has neither the ability in the air or the physicality for this position at intercounty level. A couple of early mistakes may have undermined his confidence, but he struggled badly against Seamus Callinan, a player who tends to disappear against physically intimidating opponents. This was an obvious opportunity to try Kevin Moran out in the pivotal position and Davy Fitz’s cussedness on this issue may come back to haunt him if Brick gets injured. The change when Brick came on in the second half was remarkable, as he repeatedly won primary possession and cleaned up loose ball to drive out and set up Waterford attacks.
    Jamie Nagle is another favourite of Davy’s who I do not think is up to the job, at least at wing back. As usual he hit a lot of ball but struggled in the air and his lack of physicality will always tell against him at the top level, as was again evident here. He moved to midfield early in the second half to replace Eoin McGrath with Ringo Kearney coming in at wing back. It was great to see Ringo back, apparently to the full of his health, with his distinctive high-stepping running action, and I thought he did really well.
    Whatever about Jamie Nagle, Davy’s persistence with Eoin McGrath verges on absolute stupidity or madness, as it essentially leaves Waterford playing with 14 men. McGrath did get one neat point but otherwise his contribution was minimal. Kevin Moran did a lot of good work, knocked over two fine points and his ability to drive through defences was demonstrated on several occasions here.
    Gavin Crotty was completely anonymous and was replaced early in the second half by John Mullane whose impact was immediate as he helped himself to two points. Shane O’Sullivan put in another good hour on the forty and must surely have tied this position down for the championship. Paudie Mahony did very well on the frees, given the windy conditions, and converted eight in all. He also did okay in general play and scored a good point. He was replaced late on by Eamonn Murphy.
    Eoin Kelly started at right corner forward and made no impact at all against a rookie corner back before being replaced by Shane Casey at half time. Casey had a lively enough half and landed a point, but I don’t think he has the pace to take defences as he is inclined to do.
    Seamus Prendergast started promisingly, winning some good early ball against another rookie at full back and setting up Brian O’Sullivan’s goal. However, thereafter he faded out despite a lot of high incoming wind-assisted ball. He appears to have become more sluggish than ever and was never likely to get there first when balls were played into the corners for him to chase.
    Again, the change when Shane Walsh came in at full forward for the second half was immediate and remarkable, as Walsh had the full back at sixes and sevens.. He helped himself to 1-2 and definitely should have got a penalty when he got inside the Tipp rearguard midway through the second half.
    Brian O’Sullivan never got a chance to run at the defence with his blinding pace, but he still notched a tidy 1-2 from play, and it is this ability to score which I have always liked about him. He was replaced near the end by Tomás Ryan.
    A noticeable feature of the game was its tetchiness, despite being supposedly a “friendly”. Numerous yellow cards were dished out on both sides and a couple of these might have been red had it been a competititive game. Wayne Hutchinson and Tipp captain Eoin Kelly in particular seemed to be involved in an ongoing war from beginning to end.
    Waterford: Clinton Hennessy; Jerome Maher; Wayne Hutchinson; Noel Connors (0-1); Tony Browne; Declan Prendergast; Jamie Nagle; Eoin McGrath (0-1); Kevin Moran (0-2); Gavin Crotty; Shane O’Sullivan (0-1); Paudie Mahony (0-9, eight frees); Eoin Kelly; Seamus Prendergast; Brian O’Sullivan (1-2).
    Subs: Philip Mahony for Browne; Brick Walsh for Declan Prendergast; Shane Walsh (1-2) for Seamus Prendergast; Shane Casey (0-1) for Kelly [all half time]; John Mullane (0-2) for Crotty; AidanKearney for Eoin McGrath; Liam Lawlor for Maher; John Mulllane for Crotty; Eamon Murphy for Paudie Mahony; Tomás Ryan for Brian O’Sullivan.
    Tipperary: Brendan Cummins; John Coughlan; George Hannigan; Lee Mackey; John O’Keeffe; Pádraic Maher; Conor O’Mahony; Shane McGrath; James Woodlock (0-1); Noel McGrath; Seamus Callinan (1-3, one free); Pat Kerwick (0-1); John O’Neill (0-2); Eoin Kelly (0-7, three from frees); Shane Bourke (0-3).
    Subs: Couldn’t keep track, but they included Paul Curran, Stephen Lillis, Michael Gleeson; Niall O’Meara, and Pat Carey.

deisedude wrote: »
    Lismore had a 4 point win over Ballyduff Upper today

Good game last night. Lismore had a tonic start scoring 1-1 inside sixty seconds of the game starting, the goal coming from Peter O'Keeffe ten seconds into the game. I might be correct in saying it was his first championship start for the Club. Paudie Prendergast was outstanding for Lismore and Dan also played well hitting three points. Ray Barry and Paudie shared free taking in the absence of Maurice. For Ballyduff Stephen Molumphy was again outstanding hitting two points from play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

i am interested to know what happened with eoin kelly if anyone would mind pm'ing me?

great result for waterford. will surely keep the spirits high in the camp. are they playing a challenge match against kilkenny within the next couple of weeks?

kkdela6 wrote: »
    i am interested to know what happened with eoin kelly if anyone would mind pm'ing me?

great result for waterford. will surely keep the spirits high in the camp. are they playing a challenge match against kilkenny within the next couple of weeks?

Much ado about nothing really KKdela6. Whatever doubts there was about his involvement have been put to bed anyway and were moving on. As usual things were blown out of proportion a bit, he was apparantly a bit disillusioned with things but he'd a one on one with management and made aware of where he stood so hopefully its onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

well thank god for that. he may be climbing up a slippery slope but hopefully he'll get past the adveristy surrounding him at the moment and once again entertain us with the hurling skill we all know he has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I could see Eoin Kelly retiring after this year TBH

STIG83 wrote: »
    I could see Eoin Kelly retiring after this year TBH

Please God he will

• Advertisement

I heard the U21's had a good 7pt win against Wexford in a challenge game up in Wexford yesterday too. Good result considering the team was without any of the U21's on the senior team (as they would have been involved in the Tipp challenge game) and without any from Lismore/Ballyduff Upper.

If Eoin Kelly put his mind to it, he be a great hurler.
    Every year i hear rumours about him been seen drinking in certain places around Waterford.

If Eoin Kelly put his mind to it, he be a great hurler.
    Every year i hear rumours about him been seen drinking in certain places around Waterford.

I believe he is a great hurler but discipline is a problem, unfortunately I think his presence in the camp can be negative at this stage, and I couldn't see him getting away with his strops and erratic behavior in other teams

I believe he is a great hurler but discipline is a problem, unfortunately I think his presence in the camp can be negative at this stage, and I couldn't see him getting away with his strops and erratic behavior in other teams

Not a hope he would last in other counties, Brian Cody wouldnt put up with it.

Not a hope he would last in other counties, Brian Cody wouldnt put up with it.

Cody shmody... everything has to come back to; 'would cody do this would cody do that'. Its pretty pathetic. I know KK have raised the bar over the past few years but in fairness we have to do things our own way aswell. Kellys on the panel for the coming year so lets talk positive. Its this kind of negative mentatlity is why its taking us years to catch up with the bigger counties. We need to have trust in our management and the decisions they make as this year you have to admit that our form has been impressive so far.

Cody shmody... everything has to come back to; 'would cody do this would cody do that'. Its pretty pathetic. I know KK have raised the bar over the past few years but in fairness we have to do things our own way aswell. Kellys on the panel for the coming year so lets talk positive. Its this kind of negative mentatlity is why its taking us years to catch up with the bigger counties. We need to have trust in our management and the decisions they make as this year you have to admit that our form has been impressive so far.

I agree totally that our form has been impressive, I am excited about the mix of youth and experience coming into the championship and the fact that we have a selection headache, I just find this player in question could lead to disharmony is all...... I'll stop going on about it anyway, its just my 2 cents lol

Cake Man wrote: »
    I heard the U21's had a good 7pt win against Wexford in a challenge game up in Wexford yesterday too. Good result considering the team was without any of the U21's on the senior team (as they would have been involved in the Tipp challenge game) and without any from Lismore/Ballyduff Upper.

And Darragh fives was playing with Tourin against Cappoquin

Lads whats the news on Noel Connors how bad is the injury? Will he be there for the Limerick game?
    Not good news for the u21s either they play Tipp in 3 weeks. Looks like there will be no Connors, Maurice Shanahan or Stephen Daniels either who I believe is going to the States.

Lads whats the news on Noel Connors how bad is the injury? Will he be there for the Limerick game?
    Not good news for the u21s either they play Tipp in 3 weeks. Looks like there will be no Connors, Maurice Shanahan or Stephen Daniels either who I believe is going to the States.

I heard that too, going on the J1 i guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-star-connors-gets-clean-bill-of-health-after-tipp-challenge-2643160.html

WATERFORD'S All Star corner-back Noel Connors has dismissed injury fears after last Sunday night's seven-point win over Tipperary in an inter-county SH challenge.
    Connors (21) appeared to be carrying an injury as he left the Holycross/Ballycahill pitch, but assured Deise followers that his late substitution was down to nothing more serious than fatigue.
    He had played an U-21 championship match with Passage the previous day, when his club overturned a six-point deficit with seven minutes left to beat Mount Sion by seven points, 3-11 to 0-13.
    Connors lined out from the start against Tipperary, but was substituted in the closing minutes. "It was to give me a break. We'll have a few more challenge matches and training coming up, so I don't want to be burned out before the match against Limerick (June 12)," he said.
    Connors also revealed that Richie Foley, who has been in high-scoring form from play and placed balls this year, is working his way back to fitness after the versatile Abbeyside star tore a hamstring against Offaly in early April. "Richie should be back in the next week or two. He'll be okay for Limerick," he said.
    Connors will complete his third-year business studies course at Waterford IT with his final summer examination in Human Resources Management this afternoon.
    Already this year, he was honoured with WIT's Business student of the year. And the double Harty Cup and Croke Cup medallist with De La Salle is conscious of bringing a similar work ethic to his studies. "The only way to look at it is take every day as it comes. If you look too far into the future, you'll put yourself on a downer," he said.
    "The way things have gone with jobs, you have to make your own luck. Put your effort into study and you will get the results."
    And Connors believes that Dublin's win in the recent Allianz NHL Division 1 final against Kilkenny will bring "a different dimension" to this year's championship, but he believes Kilkenny can bounce back.
    "Dublin are bringing a different dimension to it with physicality and fitness," he said. "Kilkenny got the brunt of it, but their sights are set on September and they'll get back on track in Leinster. There's no better team to do that or no better manager than Brian Cody."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Sunday May 22nd will dawn as a proud day for Tallow GAA club. It marks the unveiling of a bronze statue of Ned Power and the official opening of the new GAA field and all-weather facilities named in his honour, Páirc Eamonn de Paor. The occasion will also be marked by a senior hurling challenge match between Waterford and Kilkenny which comes at a significant juncture for both teams.

The magnificent bronze sculpture, located at Tallow Bridge, is a fitting tribute to Ned Power whose every thought and energetic moment was dominated by the development of the game of hurling in Tallow. Pairc Eamonn de Paor has been in development since 2004 and the new playing field, all-weather pitch and dressing rooms are a monument to the foresight and ambition of then chairman John Mc Donnell.

Timetable for Sunday May 22nd:
    5:00pm Official unveiling of Ned Power statue.
    6.15pm Official opening of Pairc Eamonn de Paor.
    7:00pm Throw in for Waterford-Kilkenny.

tonc76 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/waterford-star-connors-gets-clean-bill-of-health-after-tipp-challenge-2643160.html

WATERFORD'S All Star corner-back Noel Connors has dismissed injury fears after last Sunday night's seven-point win over Tipperary in an inter-county SH challenge.
    Connors (21) appeared to be carrying an injury as he left the Holycross/Ballycahill pitch, but assured Deise followers that his late substitution was down to nothing more serious than fatigue.
    He had played an U-21 championship match with Passage the previous day, when his club overturned a six-point deficit with seven minutes left to beat Mount Sion by seven points, 3-11 to 0-13.
    Connors lined out from the start against Tipperary, but was substituted in the closing minutes. "It was to give me a break. We'll have a few more challenge matches and training coming up, so I don't want to be burned out before the match against Limerick (June 12)," he said.
    Connors also revealed that Richie Foley, who has been in high-scoring form from play and placed balls this year, is working his way back to fitness after the versatile Abbeyside star tore a hamstring against Offaly in early April. "Richie should be back in the next week or two. He'll be okay for Limerick," he said.
    Connors will complete his third-year business studies course at Waterford IT with his final summer examination in Human Resources Management this afternoon.
    Already this year, he was honoured with WIT's Business student of the year. And the double Harty Cup and Croke Cup medallist with De La Salle is conscious of bringing a similar work ethic to his studies. "The only way to look at it is take every day as it comes. If you look too far into the future, you'll put yourself on a downer," he said.
    "The way things have gone with jobs, you have to make your own luck. Put your effort into study and you will get the results."

And Connors believes that Dublin's win in the recent Allianz NHL Division 1 final against Kilkenny will bring "a different dimension" to this year's championship, but he believes Kilkenny can bounce back.
    "Dublin are bringing a different dimension to it with physicality and fitness," he said. "Kilkenny got the brunt of it, but their sights are set on September and they'll get back on track in Leinster. There's no better team to do that or no better manager than Brian Cody."

Young Connors comes across as a fierce decent hard working young fella doesn't he? Fair play to him, I hope he gets a decent job for himself when he graduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

flahavaj wrote: »
    Young Connors comes across as a fierce decent hard working young fella doesn't he? Fair play to him, I hope he gets a decent job for himself when he graduates.

Hopefully so! I'd say he will as he'll be wheeled out in front of the cameras for whoever he works. Its a small benefit for a leading county player these days and I wish him (and the others) all the best with it!

I think we could be in for another mediocre year. I know we have a lot of young lads coming through and they are all decent hurlers , but what is worrying is that we have no real top class talent coming through to replace the likes of Hartley , McGrath, Flynn, Shanahan and Browne. Until we produce a couple of gems I think all we can aim for is winning a few soft munster titles like we have been doing and depending on the draw getting beat in a all Ireland quarter / semi final.

Jeddah wrote: »
    I think we could be in for another mediocre year. I know we have a lot of young lads coming through and they are all decent hurlers , but what is worrying is that we have no real top class talent coming through to replace the likes of Hartley , McGrath, Flynn, Shanahan and Browne. Until we produce a couple of gems I think all we can aim for is winning a few soft munster titles like we have been doing and depending on the draw getting beat in a all Ireland quarter / semi final.

In fairness now, look where those players got. I mean no disrespect to them just maye the players around them were not as good. Browne still plays, we have mullane, Connors is right little solid rock of a player, foley seems to be developing into a decent hurler and Lest we forget mr Michael the Brick Walsh, absolute class through and through. If Shane Walsh has a good championship this year thn maybe he can be added to the last too.

Agree that they did not reach the pinnacle but they were all real top class players .The forward line we had as a unit that time Kelly , Shanahan , Brick , Mullane , Prendergast & Flynn , we are nowhere near as strong now. Looks like this year we will be relying on mullane again and hopefully Shane Walsh will keep up his league form and give us another scoring option.Hope one or two of the younger fellas really take the championship by storm but no signs of it yet.

Jeddah wrote: »
    Agree that they did not reach the pinnacle but they were all real top class players .The forward line we had as a unit that time Kelly , Shanahan , Brick , Mullane , Prendergast & Flynn , we are nowhere near as strong now. Looks like this year we will be relying on mullane again and hopefully Shane Walsh will keep up his league form and give us another scoring option.Hope one or two of the younger fellas really take the championship by storm but no signs of it yet.

How do you explain that one? Every new young player must start their first Championship game sometime, and some of the guys have had as successful a first senior league campaign as anybody that have gone on to make it big in the last few years.

Btw, Davy has all but ruled out Eoin Murphy being fit for the Limerick game. Darragh Fives pretty much certain to start ahead of him I'd say.

O Riain wrote: »
    In fairness now, look where those players got. I mean no disrespect to them just maye the players around them were not as good. Browne still plays, we have mullane, Connors is right little solid rock of a player, foley seems to be developing into a decent hurler and Lest we forget mr Michael the Brick Walsh, absolute class through and through. If Shane Walsh has a good championship this year thn maybe he can be added to the last too.

Agreed. We can say that the young players coming through aren't as good as the old guard but how can we tell yet?

Also, I agree with what you say. In my opinion we are still in the top 3 in the country and thats as far as we ever got with the players mentioned above eg shan, flynn, McGrath, hartley ect. I reckon weve as good a chance of getting to an all-ireland final this year as we ever had with those lads. Remember those fellahs couldnt get past an all-ireland semi final. Lost god knows how many and won only one, the one year where we werent actually fancied at all. These young lads are fearless and are coming through with a winning mentality having come through the excellent underage structure thats now in place in the county.

Also, while we are going through a transition period, with older lads pushing on, I think were lucky that the younger lads are coming at just the right time. These lads are now playing alongside legends like Brick Walsh, John Mullane, Tony Browne & Ken & Dan last year among others which means we are still competitive while restructuring. You see counties like Clare who have fine young players coming through but with none of the old leader still around pointing the way and its a long road ahead for them.

If anything, mentally, the new crop of players will be stronger than the old breed. You alwys got the impression we got a mental blockw ehn it came to the big game and the numerous semi-finals we lost over the years. Then you look at the likes of Noel Connors coming through, lots of Munster and All irelans success at schools and WIt level, has reached major finals with the minors as well. The new crop are better prepared for the big stage than the lies of Ken and Flynn ever were.

• Advertisement

I hope you are right about the younger players but I think generally we have a lot of the same type younger players coming through. All good decent hurlers but no exceptional talent. By the way I think you are exaggerating Noel Connors experience, he has won 1 Munster title and 1 all Ireland schools. Flynn, Browne, Hartley and Co had as much experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement