Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Actually he won 2 harty cups and 2 all ireland schools. DLS won them back to back in 2007/2008.

Did Ken ever win a inter county underage provincial championship? Was he on the minors in 1992? I thought he would have been too young.

Oh and another point. What these young players have had growing up compared to Flynn, Browne ect is inspiration. Obviously watching Waterford compete at the top since 1998 has lit a fire in these young players and they must surely have the hunger to try win the big one over their careers.
    Due to the huge improvement in standards for Waterford underage teams the last 5-6 years, these young players fear no team. They were not involved in 2008 and have never got a beating to the extent that other teams that have gone before them received from the likes of Tipp/Cork ect. (Last years under 21 game against Cork being the one exception that comes to mind)

I would be willing to bet big on Waterford winning an All Ireland over the next 10 years as long as the right managers are appointed. Waterford should find out how much Limerick are paying Donal O' Grady and get him in for even just one year. If they don't win an All Ireland under him he will certainly improve each player and set in place the template that is required for Waterford to achieve All Ireland success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Actually he won 2 harty cups and 2 all ireland schools. DLS won them back to back in 2007/2008.

Did Ken ever win a inter county underage provincial championship? Was he on the minors in 1992? I thought he would have been too young.

Waterford minors reached 3 munster minor finals in a row from 94-96 and Ken would have been on a those teams. Actually, anyone got those teams and post them up? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Look lads we can point at what this fella won and another fella didnt win , but my point is that there is no real exceptional young talent coming through at the moment.Yes there are alot of decent young fellas but dont tell me that any of the new blood are in the same mould as Ken , Hartley or Browne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jeddah wrote: »
    Look lads we can point at what this fella won and another fella didnt win , but my point is that there is no real exceptional young talent coming through at the moment.Yes there are alot of decent young fellas but dont tell me that any of the new blood are in the same mould as Ken , Hartley or Browne.

We don'r need superstars we need strong team from 1 to 15. The talent coming through in practically every position leds me to believe we will have a very strong team in the next 5-10 years with strength in depth across the board. Thats a far healthier position to be in than having 3-4 star players but weaknesses elsewhere on the field and a panel limited to about 18 players like we had under Justin most of the time.

Another aspect to my earlier point is these young lads don't have the inferiority complex the older lads may have had. they've grown up watching the senior team compete at the business end of the championship. They expect to be there themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

Jake Dillon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Daysha wrote: »
    How do you explain that one? Every new young player must start their first Championship game sometime, and some of the guys have had as successful a first senior league campaign as anybody that have gone on to make it big in the last few years.

Btw, Davy has all but ruled out Eoin Murphy being fit for the Limerick game. Darragh Fives pretty much certain to start ahead of him I'd say.

Eoin's own club last weekend were saying that he could be out for up to three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Daysha wrote: »
    Btw, Davy has all but ruled out Eoin Murphy being fit for the Limerick game. Darragh Fives pretty much certain to start ahead of him I'd say.
    Would Darragh Fives not be starting even Murphy were fit? I think this season we've seen at least two players who have stepped up to the inter-county plate in Fives and Shane Walsh - I know he's not new, but his performances certainly are - and a couple of new additions to the senior XV is all you can ever ask of the management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Its way too early to tell. There aren't many 18 or 19 year olds who you could say are at their peak at that age. The likes of Noel McGrath and Joe Canning are the exception rather than the rule. Its a bit condescending to these young lads saying they will never be as good as Ken or Browne. For instance Dan Shanahan had been knocking around the panel from 1998 but really only broke out in 2004 as a top player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

STIG83 wrote: »
    Not a hope he would last in other counties, Brian Cody wouldnt put up with it.

I think serious questions need to be asked of Kilkenny. I know they were missing plenty but they looked like they'd rather be anywhere else than in Croke Park for the league final. And as for discpline, I'd be suprised if we don't see Larkin starting when hes back, and Dalton wont lose his place despite losing the plot against Dublin. One things for sure, the notion that Kilkenny have two teams that could win an all-ireland has been firmly put to bed...I don't see them even having one that will win it this year!

I don't think Kelly's place on the team is guaranteed. If only Brian O Halloran had been fit for the league, I'd say Kelly wouldn't be starting against Limerick.

I'm optimistic about Waterford this year. There's good competition for full back, we have Fives, Connors and Murph in the corners. Tony is still brilliant, Brick looks like hes rediscovering his form that had waned since last years all ireland semi final.

Moran is a great boost to mdfield, and Foley works hard.

Shane O Sullivan was brilliant at center forward against Galway and maybe he'll be the answer to a long standing problem in that position. Molumphy is a key asset. Shane Walsh is flying at full forward (3-14 in 5 league games) his best position which was clear as day to everyone bar Fitzgerald with the last two years. Mullane is terrific.

There is one spot in the half forward line and full forward line that needs to be filled. Paudi Mahony was very impressive during the league, may still be to early to play him in the championship. I would start Tommy Ryan in the corner, his pace causes havoc. Evidence suggests, however, that that won't happen. I reckon Brian O Sullivan and Gavin Crotty seem to have the best claims to fill those positions for the Limerick game.

I reckon Hutchison will start full back, and Nagle wing with Clinton in goal as well.

It's a formidable team. When you look at what they have to face I think there is a defintie oportunity. Kilkenny are faltering; Tipp's resolve will be tested as they will have to win back to back all-irelands in an increasingly competitive competition; Galway are having problems but only for the fact I have a bet on Waterford to win the all-ireland I'd probably be backing them; Dublin aren't ready yet but they might cause an upset this year.

All in all, I would hope that ye'd be optimistic about the year ahead. I'm not a big fan of Fitzgerald's but he does try hard and while he's there all we can do is get behind him and the team, and sure if he wins the all-ireland as manager of Waterford it'll have been worth the past two and half abject years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I think serious questions need to be asked of Kilkenny. I know they were missing plenty but they looked like they'd rather be anywhere else than in Croke Park for the league final. And as for discpline, I'd be suprised if we don't see Larkin starting when hes back, and Dalton wont lose his place despite losing the plot against Dublin. One things for sure, the notion that Kilkenny have two teams that could win an all-ireland has been firmly put to bed...I don't see them even having one that will win it this year!

I don't think Kelly's place on the team is guaranteed. If only Brian O Halloran had been fit for the league, I'd say Kelly wouldn't be starting against Limerick.

I'm optimistic about Waterford this year. There's good competition for full back, we have Fives, Connors and Murph in the corners. Tony is still brilliant, Brick looks like hes rediscovering his form that had waned since last years all ireland semi final.

Moran is a great boost to mdfield, and Foley works hard.

Shane O Sullivan was brilliant at center forward against Galway and maybe he'll be the answer to a long standing problem in that position. Molumphy is a key asset. Shane Walsh is flying at full forward (3-14 in 5 league games) his best position which was clear as day to everyone bar Fitzgerald with the last two years. Mullane is terrific.

There is one spot in the half forward line and full forward line that needs to be filled. Paudi Mahony was very impressive during the league, may still be to early to play him in the championship. I would start Tommy Ryan in the corner, his pace causes havoc. Evidence suggests, however, that that won't happen. I reckon Brian O Sullivan and Gavin Crotty seem to have the best claims to fill those positions for the Limerick game.

I reckon Hutchison will start full back, and Nagle wing with Clinton in goal as well.

It's a formidable team. When you look at what they have to face I think there is a defintie oportunity. Kilkenny are faltering; Tipp's resolve will be tested as they will have to win back to back all-irelands in an increasingly competitive competition; Galway are having problems but only for the fact I have a bet on Waterford to win the all-ireland I'd probably be backing them; Dublin aren't ready yet but they might cause an upset this year.

All in all, I would hope that ye'd be optimistic about the year ahead. I'm not a big fan of Fitzgerald's but he does try hard and while he's there all we can do is get behind him and the team, and sure if he wins the all-ireland as manager of Waterford it'll have been worth the past two and half abject years.

Was surprised to see another KK player hanging up his boots on his inter county career yesterday,(Martin Comerford) when he came on as a sub in the AI final 09(it pains me to say it) he made some impact only for him coming on what way would have the game went? IMHO i think Tipp could be aiming for 3 AI titles this year, cos definitely Tipp should have won the 09 as well as the 10 AI and be aiming for this year's AI.

But is the hunger there with Kilkenny this year? losing 2 finals within 8 months of each other, this year will tell a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

deisedude wrote: »
    Its way too early to tell. There aren't many 18 or 19 year olds who you could say are at their peak at that age. The likes of Noel McGrath and Joe Canning are the exception rather than the rule. Its a bit condescending to these young lads saying they will never be as good as Ken or Browne. For instance Dan Shanahan had been knocking around the panel from 1998 but really only broke out in 2004 as a top player

I think Jeddah makes a fair point. In fairness he is not saying they won't be top class just that there doesn't appear to be any of that calibre on view just yet. Ken McGrath, Paul Flynn, Hartley & Browne all oozed class from their first appearance in the jersey, though others as you say took a bit longer. Anyway, isn't it great and novel to have selection headaches in every line of the field ?

Will Stephen Molumphy start do ye think ? He hasn't impressed the last 2 seasons really but we all know what he is capable of.

egpower wrote: »
    I think Jeddah makes a fair point. In fairness he is not saying they won't be top class just that there doesn't appear to be any of that calibre on view just yet. Ken McGrath, Paul Flynn, Hartley & Browne all oozed class from their first appearance in the jersey, though others as you say took a bit longer. Anyway, isn't it great and novel to have selection headaches in every line of the field ?

Will Stephen Molumphy start do ye think ? He hasn't impressed the last 2 seasons really but we all know what he is capable of.

Stephen Molumphy may not register five, six or seven players in every game he plays, but boy does he put in some amout of work during the course of every game, something that does not always happen with those that we notice getting all the scores. I would say that in most peoples eyes, the Ballyduff Club mans name would be the first to be wrote on the team sheet when it comes to picking a team.

Agree with you about Molumphy , he is one of those players that you only see his real worth to the team when he is not there.

I hear Lawlor could be a doubt following the weekends club football chanpionship round?

I see last night on the Sunday game that nearly all the panelists went for Tipp to win munster and the All Ireland. Tipp are good enough to do it alright but i think that they might still be patting themselves on the back after last years win.

As usual Fennelly from Kilkenny was talking up Tipp/Dublin/Galway and saying that the Kilkenny team this year will be struggling because of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Agree re Molumphy, he may not contribute much to the scoreboard but we all know his strengths are elsewhere in the form of winning the dirty ball, the donkey work etc. His leadership and experience are other valuable tools.

Ah that wouldn't bother me that we're not getting a mention tbh. Nobody expects us to do anything so that'll suit us down to the ground. It can serve as motivation to the lads that everyone has written us off so it takes an element of pressure off.

Any update on injuries lads? How far off are Brian O'Halloran, Richie Foley, Maurice, Murphy (and Lawlor now that Jeddah has mentioned he may have picked up a knock)? Is Darragh Fives also injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I see last night on the Sunday game that nearly all the panelists went for Tipp to win munster and the All Ireland. Tipp are good enough to do it alright but i think that they might still be patting themselves on the back after last years win. .

Yea did anyone see Ken McGrath on the Sunday game?
    He looked to be still really hurting that he's not involved anymore, you could almost tell by the tone of his voice that hed rather be preparing for a Munster championship semi final rather than sitting in a studio giving pre-championship predictions. You'd see fellahs after they retire looking very content with the decision they made but imo Ken is still coming to terms with the fact that hes gone from the senior intercounty scene.
    Also gave very honest prediction that Tipp would win the all-Ireland but said 'I hope I'm wrong', and went on to say that 'maybe we might see the blue and white back in a final again'.

He really is a top fellah.

Yes, I agree re Ken. I also thought he looked very fit and fresh. It must be very hard for him. I wonder will he get involved in coaching after while? He would have great dressing room presence and a real role model for young fellas.

Thought Ken at least was giving an honest opinion not like some of the other panelists.Jasus that Farrell lad is full of sh**e.As for Hiney he thought that Dublin were going to win everything.Sheehy was only talking about Cork match and possible Waterford Tipp Munster Final , barely mentioning that they would have to play Clare in a semi.

Dont know whether Ken would have any interest in coaching but should definately get him involved somewhere in the underage. He is the real essence of what Waterford hurling should be about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd imagine the ones who have retired contentedly are the ones who retire because they've come to end of their playing days naturally.

I'd say Ken feels this is not the case with him and retirement has been forced on him through insurmountable injuries.
    Yea did anyone see Ken McGrath on the Sunday game?
    He looked to be still really hurting that he's not involved anymore, you could almost tell by the tone of his voice that hed rather be preparing for a Munster championship semi final rather than sitting in a studio giving pre-championship predictions. You'd see fellahs after they retire looking very content with the decision they made but imo Ken is still coming to terms with the fact that hes gone from the senior intercounty scene.
    Also gave very honest prediction that Tipp would win the all-Ireland but said 'I hope I'm wrong', and went on to say that 'maybe we might see the blue and white back in a final again'.

He really is a top fellah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

WE MUST I mean Must beat Limerick on June 12th or it will be **** creek for us. If were to be beaten on June 12th than On talls ships saturday July 2nd we will play either Galway, Dublin,Kilkenny Or Wexford.

If were to win the munster semi final than the munster final is on Sunday 10th July.

Imagine the chaos of possibly travelling out of Waterford City on July 2nd :eek: to go to a quilfer and then to get beaten in it.

I work in Limerick and they are quite confident of putting it up to us. There is never much between our two counties and they have 2 players in particular that I have heard a bit about for the last 3-4 years - Downes the full forward and Declan Hannon of Adare. If these guys perform they will really add a lot to Limerick's challenge. Hopefully the lessons of the AI semi in '07 will have been learned and Fitzy will have them ready for the challenge. Looking forward to it now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

What kind of teams should line out on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I think we could be in for another mediocre year. I know we have a lot of young lads coming through and they are all decent hurlers , but what is worrying is that we have no real top class talent coming through to replace the likes of Hartley , McGrath, Flynn, Shanahan and Browne. Until we produce a couple of gems I think all we can aim for is winning a few soft munster titles like we have been doing and depending on the draw getting beat in a all Ireland quarter / semi final.

Wouldnt agree there, Id be very optimistic in fact. 2 Mahonys, Connors, O Halloran, Jake Dillon, M Shanahan, Martin O Neill, D O sullivan. These have the potential to be savage hurlers, perhaps the best we've ever had. Of course time will only tell if they are the real deal or not, but they are still all only 19-20 and they showed very well in the league and recent challenge games.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Wouldnt agree there, Id be very optimistic in fact. 2 Mahonys, Connors, O Halloran, Jake Dillon, M Shanahan, Martin O Neill, D O sullivan. These have the potential to be savage hurlers, perhaps the best we've ever had. Of course time will only tell if they are the real deal or not, but they are still all only 19-20 and they showed very well in the league and recent challenge games.

Hope your right , but of the above would say that Halloran and Dillion are probably best prospects.

thesultan wrote: »
    What kind of teams should line out on Sunday?

Think the team below should be good enough to beat Limerick , based on Limericks performance in the League final.

I think it could come down to the two full forward lines and who comes out on top.

1. Hennessy
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. D O Sullivan
    6. Brick
    7. D Pender
    8. Foley
    9. Sullivan
    10. Moran
    11. Molumphy
    12. Mahoney
    13. Mullane
    14. Walsh
    15. B O Sullivan

Think the team below should be good enough to beat Limerick , based on Limericks performance in the League final.

I think it could come down to the two full forward lines and who comes out on top.

1. Hennessy
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. D O Sullivan
    6. Brick
    7. D Pender
    8. Foley
    9. Sullivan
    10. Moran
    11. Molumphy
    12. Mahoney
    13. Mullane
    14. Walsh
    15. B O Sullivan

I couldnt look at Moran up in the forwards again for another season...

I think Moran would give us a good option for puckouts and is capable of getting a score too. Also a good carrier of the ball running at defences. We have enough cover in the backs and the way Davy sets out his team sure most of our forwards end up in the defence anyway!!!

I couldnt look at Moran up in the forwards again for another season...

Neither can I. I would say he would be in centre field or could even drop back to number 7 in place of Dec Pender, or maybe Richie Foley could be there and Moran would be in the middle of the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

1. Hennessy
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. D O Sullivan
    6. Brick
    7. D Pender
    8. Foley
    9. Sullivan
    10. Moran
    11. Molumphy
    12. Mahoney
    13. Mullane
    14. Walsh
    15. B O Sullivan

Same 15 for me but Moran centre field, Sully centre forward and Molumphy wing forward. Kelly at the moment doesn't warrant a start, keep him as an impact sub.

Possiblity of Ringo pushing Dec Prender at wingback too.

Reports I am hearing suggest that Molumphy is not going well in training and that Kelly is well off the pace. Tony Browne going as well as ever. Brian O'Halloran still troubled by injury and unlikely to feature for a while.

• Advertisement

Reports I am hearing suggest that Molumphy is not going well in training and that Kelly is well off the pace. Tony Browne going as well as ever. Brian O'Halloran still troubled by injury and unlikely to feature for a while.

Wouldnt be too worried about the likes of Molumphy or Browne , they nearly always come good eventhough i think Tony mightened make the startin 15. Pity about Halloran the Limerick game would have been ideal intro for him

I dont know what people expect to see from Molumphy. Face it he is never going to get you five or six points in a game, but what he offers the team in other ways in in-measurable. For example, with the past few years, Eoin Kelly has been the teams top scorer, mostly from frees. How many of them frees were as a result fouls on the Ballyduff man. Opposing teams know, just as in the case of Mullane, that they have to pull him down or let him through and take their chances. Pulling him down is often the easiest option. What he does in falling back as an extra mid fielder or a half back is also vital to the success of the team in recent years.

I would not be too bothered about how he is going in training, because when it comes to a match, you know he will give above and beyond what is asked of him, something you dont always see with other players.

Would agree with you about Molumphy. Gives you everything everyday he goes out. The same cant be said for Kelly. Molumphy total team player and the kinda player would play anywhere on the team and give it his all. What he lacks in skill more than makes up for in determination,workrate and honesty.

Id love to see Molumphy played in position this year. Lar na Pairce, only place for him. Give him the number 9 jersey and lead the troops out properly. This starting at corner forward crap and roaming around the place is a bit silly. It dosent really work and it must be unsettling for a player. Whens the last time he really had an outstanding game in Waterford colours apart from 07 when he won an allstar? Im not denying his phenomenal workrate and fantastic leadership qualities but I think theres so much more than that in him.
    Hes never really able to stamp his authority on a game. I think Molumphy still has untapped potential due to the way he is used by management & hes 27 now so its time to see it.

For his leadership alone - even if not going well coming into it - I would start him every time. Agree too that he needs to be in the middle. He was a key provider of Dan's many goals in '07 with his work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Anyone hear anything from the challenge match v Cork last night??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Connorzee wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything from the challenge match v Cork last night??

According to someone on Anfearrua Cork won it

In fairness to Stephen Hiney, if your captain doesn't believe you can win things what hope have you got!

I thin Tony Browne has to start. One of the best players in the league, and certainly more assured than David Osullivan or Prender, and has had much more game time.

Liam Lawlor picked up an ankle injury don't know to what extent.

By the way, I think Darragh Fives is a serious talent. Think he should be starting in three weeks time.

Mullane hits back at ‘p***heads’ depiction

By Fintan O’Toole
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011
    WATERFORD hurler John Mullane has launched a blistering attack on RTÉ journalist Damien Tiernan’s book ‘The Agony and The Ecstasy’.

The book looked at the travails of county hurling side since 1998 but Mullane claimed there was no substance to the depiction of him and his Déise team-mates as a heavy drinking team.

"We were described basically as a crowd of p***heads," he said.

"We wouldn’t have had the success we’ve had if that was the case. I, for one, can really tell you we trained hard and that goes for all the other lads. When we were allowed enjoy ourselves, we enjoyed ourselves but no different to any other inter-county team in that regard.

"You ask any of the managers we’ve had, the present manager Davy (Fitzgerald), or going back to Justin or Gerald McCarthy, they’ll tell you how hard we trained. Then we’re described that we failed because we’d a couple nights out here or there. I can tell you, we trained so hard."

Mullane stated that he was never in favour of the book being written and revealed a number of Waterford hurlers were upset by its contents.

"I thought there was a lot of invalid information in the book towards the team. It was just a bad description. I just felt that a certain amount of players were upset with stuff that was written in the book. I think it was a bad reflection on what really went on in the last 10 years. I just thought some of the stuff that was written didn’t do us any justice."

When contacted last night by the Irish Examiner, the book’s author Tiernan stated: "John Mullane is an absolutely marvellous hurler and has been for several years for Waterford. I’m very hopeful that he and his Waterford team-mates will do very well in this year’s championship."

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mullane-hits-back-at-pheads-depiction-154962.html#ixzz1MgtqiVqy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Mullane hits back at ‘p***heads’ depiction

By Fintan O’Toole
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011
    WATERFORD hurler John Mullane has launched a blistering attack on RTÉ journalist Damien Tiernan’s book ‘The Agony and The Ecstasy’.

The book looked at the travails of county hurling side since 1998 but Mullane claimed there was no substance to the depiction of him and his Déise team-mates as a heavy drinking team.

"We were described basically as a crowd of p***heads," he said.

"We wouldn’t have had the success we’ve had if that was the case. I, for one, can really tell you we trained hard and that goes for all the other lads. When we were allowed enjoy ourselves, we enjoyed ourselves but no different to any other inter-county team in that regard.

"You ask any of the managers we’ve had, the present manager Davy (Fitzgerald), or going back to Justin or Gerald McCarthy, they’ll tell you how hard we trained. Then we’re described that we failed because we’d a couple nights out here or there. I can tell you, we trained so hard."

Mullane stated that he was never in favour of the book being written and revealed a number of Waterford hurlers were upset by its contents.

"I thought there was a lot of invalid information in the book towards the team. It was just a bad description. I just felt that a certain amount of players were upset with stuff that was written in the book. I think it was a bad reflection on what really went on in the last 10 years. I just thought some of the stuff that was written didn’t do us any justice."

When contacted last night by the Irish Examiner, the book’s author Tiernan stated: "John Mullane is an absolutely marvellous hurler and has been for several years for Waterford. I’m very hopeful that he and his Waterford team-mates will do very well in this year’s championship."

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mullane-hits-back-at-pheads-depiction-154962.html#ixzz1MgtqiVqy

So Mullane is playing right into Tiernans hands here and has just increased sales of the book by god knows how much :rolleyes: and Tiernans response was genius aswell, methinks he won the battle of wits here.

Look i suppose Mullane was asked for his opinion and gave it.Think he is right about having reservations about the book being written. The writer obviously had a select few sources from within the camp and also had to inject some element of controversy to generate a bit of interest.

Hopefully Mullane is focusing on Limerick match and puts aside any distractions.

• Advertisement

I don't think Mullane was saying that to try and decrease sales to be fair. Nor do I think he has a personal dislike to Tiernan, he just was giving his opinion on what was said in the book.

To me, the book is biased. Brian Flannery and Brian Greene to a lot of talking, and we all know how bitter they were towards Justin. There were plenty of mistakes, and to be honest of the things that were true were things everybody in Waterford already knew. It was badly written as well. Pity, I thought it might shed some insight but it really does leave you asking the same questions you originally wanted answered.

Look i suppose Mullane was asked for his opinion and gave it.Think he is right about having reservations about the book being written. The writer obviously had a select few sources from within the camp and also had to inject some element of controversy to generate a bit of interest.

Hopefully Mullane is focusing on Limerick match and puts aside any distractions.

Oh i fully accept this and that Mullane was asked for his opinion, but surely rather than take the bait the correct answer would have been ''I havent actually read the book,nor do I intend to, I have a munster semi final to prepare for'' or something along those lines.

I read the book aswell. While I found it an enjoyable read I thought there was an awful lot of waffle and what I would describe as half truths and exaggeration when it came to the drinking side of things. I dont beleive we were any worse or better than any other county in the 80s or 90s.
    I though that a lot of what the players said were put into a different context to back up the authors own personal views and a lot of quotes from backroom staff and people who weren't really relevant. I also thought there was bias to people from Tiernans own club. Wayne Hutchinson featured prominently and I cant ever remeber him pucking a ball fro Waterford in the championship.

Oh i fully accept this and that Mullane was asked for his opinion, but surely rather than take the bait the correct answer would have been ''I havent actually read the book,nor do I intend to, I have a munster semi final to prepare for'' or something along those lines.

Totally agree , but we know Mullane he wears his heart on his sleeve and he wouldnt be the sort of fella to hold back on or off the field.

To be fair to Mullane he does most of his talking on the pitch where it matters , not like some previous so called "legend of waterford hurling".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I must read Damien Tiernan's book to see what was said and must read Big Dan's book too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I think this book had no business being written, maybe in 5 or 6 years time when when have a new crop of players but not while some of the said players are still performing for us. I think Mullane was right to say what he said he wasn't playing into anyones hands he was just saying it as he sees it, and if he doesn't have a right to that as an inter county hurler, well he may aswell pack it in... constructive criticism is good for a team but this team made our team look like a performing circus

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone know anything about a Waterford Kilkenny under 21 game in the sportsfield tonight?? :)

I think this book had no business being written, maybe in 5 or 6 years time when when have a new crop of players but not while some of the said players are still performing for us. I think Mullane was right to say what he said he wasn't playing into anyones hands he was just saying it as he sees it, and if he doesn't have a right to that as an inter county hurler, well he may aswell pack it in... constructive criticism is good for a team but this team made our team look like a performing circus

I know where your coming from but its called marketing, thats why its released now when the aforementioned players are still involved and not in 5-6 years when most are forgotten, or merely not the headline names they are now, and I just think John played right into the authors hands with he's comments, perfectly understandable and all as they are of course.

BTW someone mentioned that Brian Flannery had a bit to say in the book anyone able to shed abit more on this, as Im sure you know Brian is a Tipp man, however I know a few of hes family who would not be held in the highest regards within hurling circles for loyalty, descretion etc. always thought Brian was a bit better than that but maybe I was wrong, hes actually an ex-club man of my own :o

I think there was an open invite to anyone that had a story or view to express to come forward. Some obviously did, and others did not.

BTW someone mentioned that Brian Flannery had a bit to say in the book anyone able to shed abit more on this, as Im sure you know Brian is a Tipp man, however I know a few of hes family who would not be held in the highest regards within hurling circles for loyalty, descretion etc. always thought Brian was a bit better than that but maybe I was wrong, hes actually an ex-club man of my own :o

Flannery did speak in the book mainly about his differences with Justin McCarthy but that was well documented at the time. Himself, Peter Queally & Brian Greene opted out of the panel at the beginning of 2004 due to their dissatisfaction with the decision to keep the current management system in place but these 3 were only fringe players the previous season (bar maybe Greene who I think started a couple games alright). The general consesus at the time was that they were more or less finished at that stage anyway & were into their 30s so there wasnt much reaction to it.

There was never any questions over Flannerys loyalty to the Waterford cause anyway so I dont know about anything about that, but he got a bit of a setback last week he was sacked as Dungaravan senior hurling manager after only 2 games. They lost their opening 2 games including a heavy defeat against Ballygunner but considering their only a young side up from intermediate it seems a bit harsh & unusual to sack the man so early in the season. Leads you to think that there was more to it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement