Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about a Waterford Kilkenny under 21 game in the sportsfield tonight?? :)

On at 7 as far as I know but its behind closed doors. Gonna head down and chance me arm getting in.

Just back from the U21's challenge game v KK, we had a good 2-12 to 1-13 win. First half was poor and we went in at the break 0-5 to 0-3 ahead and having played with the aid of the breeze. Second half the game opened up more and we played well. Lads, I'd have no fear of Darragh Fives starting against Limerick on June 12th. He was excellent full back, won everything and plucked a few missiles out of the sky. Team (or at least who I recognised) and how they played:

1. S. O'Keeffe-prob at fault for KK's goal, came out from his line chasing a KK forward down the line and was caught out. Didn't have much to do tbh but his puck outs well spot on.
    2. Jamie Barron-solid, very good game
    3. D. Fives-solid out
    4. Noel Connors-again solid
    5. Paudie Prendergast-very effective and won a lot of ball
    6. Phillip Mahony-solid enough although his marker won a good bit of ball
    7. Steven Daniels-excellent game, won everything down his way and distribution was first class, him and Fives top drawer game
    8. Owen Whelan-got through a huge amount of work, good game
    9. Stephen Roche-decent enough
    10. Not sure who 10 was
    11. Adam Brophy-came into game well in 2nd half, few nice scores but his free taking was poor, lot of wides
    12. Not sure who 12 was
    13. Eamonn Murphy-quiet 1st half but better 2nd half, got into good positions and was dangerous on the run with lightning pace but a few bad wides
    14. Brian O'Sullivan-first touch was a bit off but he also got a few good scores and won some ball
    15. Jake Dillon-another excellent game and chipped in with a few scores and won a lot of ball

Subs that came on wer Eoin Madigan, Cormac Curran, Harley Barnes, Martin O'Neill and a few others. KK were poor enough tbh, don't know if they were missing players or what but they were lacklustre. We gave them a taste of their own medicine by playing with high intensity and hassling/harrying/smothering them every time they had the ball and they turned over possession most of the time. Any win over KK is a good win so well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Those 6 backs have a real quality look about them. We look well set for the future in those areas IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone know what the set up is like for the Intermediate county hurlers this year. Many city players on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Cake Man wrote: »
    Just back from the U21's challenge game v KK, we had a good 2-12 to 1-13 win. First half was poor and we went in at the break 0-5 to 0-3 ahead and having played with the aid of the breeze. Second half the game opened up more and we played well. Lads, I'd have no fear of Darragh Fives starting against Limerick on June 12th. He was excellent full back, won everything and plucked a few missiles out of the sky. Team (or at least who I recognised) and how they played:

1. S. O'Keeffe-prob at fault for KK's goal, came out from his line chasing a KK forward down the line and was caught out. Didn't have much to do tbh but his puck outs well spot on.
    2. Jamie Barron-solid, very good game
    3. D. Fives-solid out
    4. Noel Connors-again solid
    5. Paudie Prendergast-very effective and won a lot of ball
    6. Phillip Mahony-solid enough although his marker won a good bit of ball
    7. Steven Daniels-excellent game, won everything down his way and distribution was first class, him and Fives top drawer game
    8. Owen Whelan-got through a huge amount of work, good game
    9. Stephen Roche-decent enough
    10. Not sure who 10 was
    11. Adam Brophy-came into game well in 2nd half, few nice scores but his free taking was poor, lot of wides
    12. Not sure who 12 was
    13. Eamonn Murphy-quiet 1st half but better 2nd half, got into good positions and was dangerous on the run with lightning pace but a few bad wides
    14. Brian O'Sullivan-first touch was a bit off but he also got a few good scores and won some ball
    15. Jake Dillon-another excellent game and chipped in with a few scores and won a lot of ball

Subs that came on wer Eoin Madigan, Cormac Curran, Harley Barnes, Martin O'Neill and a few others. KK were poor enough tbh, don't know if they were missing players or what but they were lacklustre. We gave them a taste of their own medicine by playing with high intensity and hassling/harrying/smothering them every time they had the ball and they turned over possession most of the time. Any win over KK is a good win so well done lads.

Are you sure that was Paudie Prendergast playing at wing back - he usually plays at midfield or in the forwards? Would it have been John Prendergast, who has been playing really well in the half backs for Lismore?

Maurice Shanahan (who I believe might have a chance of making the game against Tipperary), Brian O'Halloran and Paudie Mahony all have to come into the team, so we are likely to have as powerful a forward line as the back line which played last night. And Eoin Madigan and Martin O'Neill are very handy subs to be able to bring on. At full strength and with proper preparation (two big ifs) this team really has the potential to go places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

In fairness the U21 setup is good this year with Hartley,Feeney and Derek McGrath. Not like other years where waterboys were made selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DeiseX

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Are you sure that was Paudie Prendergast playing at wing back - he usually plays at midfield or in the forwards? Would it have been John Prendergast, who has been playing really well in the half backs for Lismore?

Maurice Shanahan (who I believe might have a chance of making the game against Tipperary), Brian O'Halloran and Paudie Mahony all have to come into the team, so we are likely to have as powerful a forward line as the back line which played last night. And Eoin Madigan and Martin O'Neill are very handy subs to be able to bring on. At full strength and with proper preparation (two big ifs) this team really has the potential to go places.

Yea Paudie was wing-back and did relatively well.

When is the Tipp game...the Wednesday after the Seniors play Limerick?

DeiseX wrote: »
    Yea Paudie was wing-back and did relatively well.

When is the Tipp game...the Wednesday after the Seniors play Limerick?

First of June in Thurles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

At full strength and with proper preparation (two big ifs) this team really has the potential to go places.

We heard this before about u21 teams and been literally blown away in the championship. At least this year the challenge game results have been more positive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tanco

Went to Paric Caoimh last year and we were torn apart.
    I think if we get to a munster final this year it would be good going.
    Dont know alot about the Tipp team but they cant be bad, as far as Cork are concerned they have what I would consider to be one of the best u21 teams around.

tanco wrote: »
    Went to Paric Caoimh last year and we were torn apart.
    I think if we get to a munster final this year it would be good going.
    Dont know alot about the Tipp team but they cant be bad, as far as Cork are concerned they have what I would consider to be one of the best u21 teams around.

The main reason why Waterford were torn apart last year was that the game was played five days before the senior championship game against Clare and some (not all) of the senior panellists on the team didn't want to know - and who could blame them? The blame lies with our hopeless county board who agreed to play the game on the date in question. Cork, of course, had played their opening championship game the previous Sunday so their senior panellists were not under the same pressure.

This is the same county board which agreed to the minor hurlers playing their semi-final replay against Cork last year four days before the final. The replay should have been played the previous week but Cork persuaded Waterford to put it back because they had two dual players involved in football that week. Frank Murphy 2 Waterford Nil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

The main reason why Waterford were torn apart last year was that the game was played five days before the senior championship game against Clare and some (not all) of the senior panellists on the team didn't want to know - and who could blame them? The blame lies with our hopeless county board who agreed to play the game on the date in question. Cork, of course, had played their opening championship game the previous Sunday so their senior panellists were not under the same pressure.

This is the same county board which agreed to the minor hurlers playing their semi-final replay against Cork last year four days before the final. The replay should have been played the previous week but Cork persuaded Waterford to put it back because they had two dual players involved in football that week. Frank Murphy 2 Waterford Nil.

I think you are a little hard there to be honest. The Munster council with the past few years have been using the same dates (ie the first sunday in June etc for one munster senior hurling semi final, the second sunday for the other semi final, ie for the winners of the quarter final game) and the same applies in the minor and under 21 grades in both hurling and football. The fault for the conjestion lies with the Munster Council Fixtures Committee, who are the ones who may have had someone on a national committee a few years back that were trying to deal with player burn out, and introduced such rules that you have to be 17 for example to play senior. Until the Munster Council look at their fixtures you are going to have problems with under 21s on senior teams been asked to play two big games in a matter of days.

Yeah was a bit surprised he was wing back too and not in his more used to positions of midfield/half forward. Hopefully Maurice might make it (although he's in a serious race against time to be fit-he has less than two weeks). Saw Brian O'Halloran on the line last night doing water duties, hopefully he's not too far off either, Paudie Mahony was there in his tracksuit too but didn't play-is he carrying a knock or just being rested?

In fairness, the team is undergoing good preparation this year, the team last night looked very together and the players on the same wavelength as each other. Couldn't have gotten a tougher draw though to be fair, away to Munster and AI champs Tipp then away to a strong Cork if we manage to get over Tipp. Some achievement if we even get to a Munster final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 acrossthepond

Hey there readers, I'm living in the states, originally from the Abbeyside GAA club, and I'm putting together a Waterford GAA yearbook for 2011 for the other Waterford hurling and football enthusiasts here in the Big Apple. I'm starting it early so I can keep on track. I'm short a bit of information so I was wondering if any of you guys could give me the following information:

Waterford Under-21 hurling captain 2011
    Waterford Under-21 football captain 2011
    Waterford Minor hurling captain 2011
    Waterford Minor football captain 2011.

Thanks again.

We were blown away due to a number of reasons. The above definetly had an effect, we were also missing some key lads and the management was appalling last year plus there were some players starting last year that wouldnt make junior club teams in some counties. I think this year whether we go far or not the main thing is that we get it right as regards preperation and not come away with the same old excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Waterford Minor hurling captain 2011
    Chris Kervick of Ballygunner

Waterford Minor football captain 2011
    Billy Power of Rathgormack

Waterford Under-21 football captain 2011
    Ronan Cahill of Rathgormack

deiseach wrote: »

But did not play in the championship due to an injury

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Everyone's a critic ;)

• Advertisement

So he never captained the team? Or have they a qualifiers round to play via the back door?

Everyone's a critic ;)

Explain?

Explain?
    Just a figure of speech. Someone who finds it easy to pick holes in other people's work without making anything themselves. But I'm only messing with Deise Tom, I'd rather he corrected me than let me spread duff info

Just a figure of speech. Someone who finds it easy to pick holes in other people's work without making anything themselves. But I'm only messing with Deise Tom, I'd rather he corrected me than let me spread duff info

So he really was injured? Confusing stuff there hehe. Is Power a son of any of the Power's of the good Rathgormack teams years ago?

So he really was injured? Confusing stuff there hehe. Is Power a son of any of the Power's of the good Rathgormack teams years ago?
    I don't know. Just following the links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Waterford Footballers will play Cork in the Munster Senoir Football Championship Semi Final on Sunday June 5th in Pairc ui Chaoimh Cork after todays Quarter final result Cork 1-23- Clare 0-11.

Like bringing Lambs to the slaughter for Waterford Footballers but you never know, Waterford mite shock Cork and get to a historic Munster Football final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Waterford 3-09 Kilkenny 0-26

Eoin Kelly and Tommy Ryan both scored goals.

Shefflin played for Kilkenny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Waterford Footballers will play Cork in the Munster Senoir Football Championship Semi Final on Sunday June 5th in Pairc ui Chaoimh Cork after todays Quarter final result Cork 1-23- Clare 0-11.

Like bringing Lambs to the slaughter for Waterford Footballers but you never know, Waterford mite shock Cork and get to a historic Munster Football final

If Cork are poor and Waterford play to the best of their ability, it might be some way entertaining. But to be fair to the waterford lads I think Cork will respect them and thus put up a healty score.
    Cork got 1-23 and never really worked up a sweat although I think Waterford will put in a better shift than Clare today.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If Cork are poor and Waterford play to the best of their ability, it might be some way entertaining. But to be fair to the waterford lads I think Cork will respect them and thus put up a healty score.
    Cork got 1-23 and never really worked up a sweat although I think Waterford will put in a better shift than Clare today.

I know you say If, but you dont see bad All-Ireland Champions and the game will be tough for Waterford, and anything other that a Cork Win is hard to see, meaning Waterford join the qualifiers in the second round. It would be nice to get someone like Wicklow in that game, who were very poor today. Of course they will have to come through a first round game first, and in the six weeks or so they have till their next game I am sure that Micko will have a hell of a lot of work done.

Looking at the games today, and in a number of recent games, I would love to see someone with an interest in the game of football introduce a rule that would ban or restrict the amount of hand passes a team can use in a movement. Its ruining the games. Football is a fine game when it is played as it should, but we dont see many of these games. Maybe there could be a way that could be found where a catch and kick style would be rewarded in some way.

Disappointing enough result v KK, wasn't at it but judging by the report we didn't seem great. Only a challenge game however and at least it's extra game time under the belts of Kelly, Ringo, Dec Prender etc. Good to see Foley back too. Seems to be persisting with Shane Fives at centre forward, think he'd be better off in defence? Hope Connors came through unscathed, he came on at HT but went off again on 63mins.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny 0-26 Waterford 3-9

Kilkenny coasted to a comfortable victory over Waterford in this tournament game to mark the official opening of Páirc Éamonn de Paor, part of the spendid complex which has been developed in recent years by Tallow GAA Club. Kilkenny fielded a strong team here including Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh and Richie Power, all of whom were returning from significant injuries. Possibly as part of their post-League Final rehabilitation, they were very committed on the night, and more or less dominated the game from start to finish.

Waterford, by contrast, for the most part didn’t look interested. Their reactions were sluggish; they were nearly always second to the ball; they were lazy in picking up their men; their first touch was poor and they regularly fumbled or lost control of the ball; attempted passes regularly went astray.

The attitude of the team management to the fixture was evident from the team put out on the pitch, including a half forward line of Gavin Crotty, Shane Fives and Eoin McGrath whose chances of making any headway against a half back line of Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan and Paddy Hogan were very limited indeed. The one positive development was the placing – for the first time ever in this writer’s experience – of Kevin Moran in his best position at centre half. He started very impressively and generally did quite well, given the constant stream of ball coming from the Kilkenny midfield and halfback line, before being switched out to midfield in the second half with Brick Walsh coming in at centre back.

Unfortunately, the arrangements for the game were not of the same quality as the setting in which it was played. A Waterford starting fifteen was given in the very expensive (€4) programme, but five of those listed didn’t start, and two of those who were both listed and stared wore numbers which didn’t correspond with their positions in the programme. None of the 15 named substitutes had a number.

There was no starting lineout for the Kilkenny panel, which was listed in both numerical and alphabetical order, which meant that none of them wore the number beside their name in the programme. It shouldn’t have been too hard to give each player on both sides a number and then ask the respective mentors to get the players to wear jerseys with the numbers they were given in the programme.

To make matters worse, it was well into the game before the starting teams were announced over the public address system, which had remained strangely silent up to that point. Even after that, it was usually several minutes before substitutions made on both sides were detailed over the PA. Also, there were no flags for the umpires when the game started and again quite some time passed before this oversight was corrected.

As for the game, while Waterford started brightly enough, the Kilkenny half back line quickly came to exert a stranglehold which led to a continuous supply of good ball being made available to their forwards. Excellent mid-to-long range shooting, frequently while unmarked, saw the Kilkenny points total build up. They also set up several goal threatening movements by getting an overlap around the 45 metre line, but none of these came to fruition due to some good last-ditch defending by the Waterford full back line and one magnificent save by Adrian Power from a Richie Hogan piledriver.

With his long puckouts generally coming straight back, Power switched instead to directed puckouts, but in line with the general malaise affilcting his team, these frequently either didn’t reach their intended targets or were fumbled or otherwise messed up when they did.

At the other end, the Waterford inside line made poor use of a meagre supply of ball, although frequently the delivery from out the field was at least as poor. However, they did make one good incision when full forward Seamus Prendergast fielded a long ball in and managed to kick it past David Herity in the Kilkenny goal despite being under intense pressure. However, Kilkenny continued on their merry way and went in at half time seven points up, 0-15 to 1-5.

Waterford strengthened their hand considerably by bringing in Noel Connors, Brick Walsh and Tony Browne for the second half and switching Kevin Moran to midfield, Seamus Prendergast to left half forward and Stephen Molumphy (who started in midfield) to centre forward. However, the replacement of Eoin McGrath and Shane Fives by Eamon Murphy and Shane Casey did little to add to the team’s attacking threat.

Waterford got the best possible start to the second half when Tomás Ryan collected a good ball into the right corner, skinned his marker along the end line and crossed for Eoin Kelly to volley an excellent goal from close range. However, any hopes that this might spark a sustained Déise revival quickly dissipated as Kilkenny continued to dominate the game territorially through their ability to win good primary possession, especially in the air. However, growing inaccuracy (nine wides in the second half compared with four in the first) led to a fall-off in their scoring rate.

Waterford did win more possession in the second half, but they persisted in looking for goals when they had plenty of chances of scoring points from good positions out the field. As it was, most of the balls played into the Kilkenny goal area were poorly directed and, with Waterford having no ball winner inside anyway, these were easy meat for the Cats’ rearguard. However, there was one bright spot near the end when Eamon Murphy (whose previous contribution to the game consisted of the concession of three silly frees) got the ball on the right and took on Noel Hickey before centering to Tomás Ryan who billowed the net with a powerful shot.

Just after that, Eoin Kelly found Seamus Prendergast in front of goal with an excellent crossfield ball from the right touchline, but Prendergast’s shot at goal was beaten out by the scrambling Kilkenny defence. This left the final score Kilkenny 0-26 Waterford 3-9; in addition Kilkenny had 13 wides to Waterford’s seven.

It was difficult to see the play on the far side of the field from our ground-level position, especially on what was an overcast evening, and this may impact on our individual player assessments. Adrian Power dealt competently with all ball that came his way, and his superb first half save confirmed his status as one of the best shot stoppers in the business. His attempts at directed puckouts went awry on several occasions, but this wasn’t always his fault. It was clear that Waterford had no puckout strategy (especially given the half forward line they started with), which is strange in a team managed by a goalkeeper. Power was replaced for the second half by Stephen O’Keeffe who had very little to do except watch Kilkenny shots from out the field go sailing over his crossbar.

Declan Prendergast seemed to struggle a bit against Richie Hogan’s nimble footwork and excellent first touch, but he worked hard and a couple of his late interventions probably prevented Kilkenny goals. However, one wonders what was the point of starting him at corner back at this stage, especially with Noel Connors and Darragh Fives on the sideline. Connors replaced Prendergast at half time (switching over to the left corner) but, worryingly, went over on his leg late in the game and was promptly replaced by Darragh Fives.

I thought Wayne Hutchinson did quite well on Henry Shefflin, especially given the torrent of good quality ball that was being sent in from out the field. Hutchinson lived on the edge a lot of the time, and generally was allowed to get away with it by referee Cathal McAllister of Cork. He combines strength and aggressiveness with good ball skills, although he did have attempted clearances blocked by the opposing forwards, and should always try to drive out in situations like these.

I thought that Aidan “Ringo” Kearney did well in his first full game back after a lengthy bout of illness and injury. He has a particularly good knack of worming his way out of tight surroundings which is invaluable in a corner back.

It was hard to tell how Philip O’Mahony did at right half back in the first half, but at least his opposite number, Eddie Brennan, failed to score. I thought that Tony Browne did well when replacing O’Mahony in the second half. As stated. Kevin Moran acquitted himself more than adequately at centre back in the first half, while Brick Walsh did even better in that position after the change of ends, with his fielding and ability to drive out of defence again to the fore.

Once again, Jamie Nagle was a major source of worry at left half back. As usual, he hit a lot of ball during the course of the game, but he lacks physicality in the tackle and in the air. He was cleanly outfielded by his opposite number on several occasions while his trademark one-handed tap-down regularly gave possession away to gratefully waiting Kilkenny men.

In midfield, Richie Foley put in a hardworking stint following his return from injury, although his first touch frequently left him down. He was replaced during the second half by David O’Sullivan who again impressed me with his ability to get on the ball and run at opponents. He also popped over a lovely long-range point near the end to show to his team mates what they should have been doing throughout the second half.

Stephen Molumphy had his best game for some time, both in midfield in the first half and centre forward in the second, digging out dirty ball and moving it on. Kevin Moran did some good work at midfield in the second half but was not nearly as effective as he was at centre half in the first.

Once again Gavin Crotty failed to get into the game apart from one cross from the end line late in the first half which Seamus Prendergast fresh-aired in front of goal. He was replaced to little effect in the second half by Eamon Murphy whose contribution has been detailed above. Shane Fives looked out of place at centre forward in the first half. He did get on the ball on a number of occasions (which is more than can be said of this half forward colleagues) but his striking was slow and several times his efforts were blocked down.

The mystery of what Eoin McGrath is doing on the panel (never mind the field) continues as once again he made very little impression before being replaced on the wing after half time by Seamus Prendergast. At full forward in the first half, Prendergast did make a couple of good catches (two leading to poor wides) but otherwise struggled to deal with poor quality incoming ball. In the second half virtually all of Waterford’s puckouts were directed to his wing, and while he had little success early on, as the half progressed he seemed to shake himself into life, winning a lot of ball and even making a couple of powerful runs at goal. There were at least some glimpses of his former self here.

In the right corner, Tomás Ryan finished with 1-1 and set up a second goal, which isn’t a bad return for a corner forward. He also had to deal with a lot of poor quality incoming ball, and his inability to compete in one-to-one duels was again in evidence. Shane Casey was stationed at full forward for most of the second half and once again made very little impression, although the quality of incoming ball should also be kept in mind here.

In the left corner, Eoin Kelly looked much more keen to get involved than he has shown in previous recent outings, and although things generally didn’t go his way, the first time shot which brought Waterford’s second goal was a useful reminder of what he is capable of.

For Kilkenny, their full back line was exposed on occasions, both in the air against Seamus Prendergast, and for pace, by the Waterford inside line. As mentioned, their half backs provided the platform for their victory, while at midfield TJ Reid had a fruitful outing which netted five points. Up front, Richie Hogan landed four points from play with King Henry just behind on three and half forwards Michael Rice and Richie Power, along with second half substititue John Mulhall, hitting two each.

Waterford: Adrian Power; Declan Prendergast; Wayne Hutchinson; Aidan Kearney; Philip Mahony; Kevin Moran; Jamie Nagle (0-1); Stephen Molumphy; Richie Foley (0-3, frees); Gavin Crotty; Shane Fives; Eoin McGrath; Tomás Ryan (1-1); Seamus Prendergast (1-1); Eoin Kelly (1-2, two points frees). Substitutes: Noel Connors; Tony Browne; Brick Walsh; Eamon Murphy; Shane Casey (all half-time); David O’Sullivan (0-1), mid second half; Darragh Fives (late second half).

Kilkenny: David Herity; Paul Murphy; Noel Hickey; Jackie Tyrrell; Tommy Walsh; Brian Hogan; Paddy Hogan (0-1); TJ Reid (0-5); Colin Fennelly (0-1); Michael Rice (0-2); Richie Power (0-2); Eddie Brennan; Matthew Ruth; Henry Shefflin (0-8, five frees); Richie Hogan (0-4). Subs: Richie Doyle; PJ Delaney; Conor Fogarty (0-1); Kieran Joyce; Michael Kavanagh; John Mulhall (0-2) (all second half).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Giveitfong can I just say on behalf of myself and the rest of the regular posters here that your match reports are absolutely top-class. Over 2000 words on what was effectively a meaningless friendly is some going! Some brilliant insight as always and it's very much appreciated :)

This result is a bit worrying coming close to championship. I know we weren't at full tilt and missing a few but this wasn't far off our championship team either. I wasn't at the game so maybe it mightened have been as bad as the scoreline suggests?
    Looks like Tommy Ryan has a good chance of a championship start aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DeiseX

Could someone please tell me why the management team persist with Eoin McGrath??? It was a poor performance again last night from him.

Kilkenny still the benchmark and it sounds like we are still along way off competing for the top honours. I know it was a challenge match but you should still be doing the basics right and sending out your team with the right attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Daysha wrote: »
    Giveitfong can I just say on behalf of myself and the rest of the regular posters here that your match reports are absolutely top-class. Over 2000 words on what was effectively a meaningless friendly is some going! Some brilliant insight as always and it's very much appreciated :)

Likewise mossy's blog is a great resource for those of us living outsiude the county. Two great additions to the board. keep up the hard work lads, its much appreciated.

I wouldn't worry hugely about that result, the way the teams lined up positionally and personnel-wise had a very strange look about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Kilkenny 0-26 Waterford 3-9

Kilkenny coasted to a comfortable victory over Waterford in this tournament game to mark the official opening of Páirc Éamonn de Paor, part of the spendid complex which has been developed in recent years by Tallow GAA Club. Kilkenny fielded a strong team here including Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh and Richie Power, all of whom were returning from significant injuries. Possibly as part of their post-League Final rehabilitation, they were very committed on the night, and more or less dominated the game from start to finish.

Waterford, by contrast, for the most part didn’t look interested. Their reactions were sluggish; they were nearly always second to the ball; they were lazy in picking up their men; their first touch was poor and they regularly fumbled or lost control of the ball; attempted passes regularly went astray.

The attitude of the team management to the fixture was evident from the team put out on the pitch, including a half forward line of Gavin Crotty, Shane Fives and Eoin McGrath whose chances of making any headway against a half back line of Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan and Paddy Hogan were very limited indeed. The one positive development was the placing – for the first time ever in this writer’s experience – of Kevin Moran in his best position at centre half. He started very impressively and generally did quite well, given the constant stream of ball coming from the Kilkenny midfield and halfback line, before being switched out to midfield in the second half with Brick Walsh coming in at centre back.

Unfortunately, the arrangements for the game were not of the same quality as the setting in which it was played. A Waterford starting fifteen was given in the very expensive (€4) programme, but five of those listed didn’t start, and two of those who were both listed and stared wore numbers which didn’t correspond with their positions in the programme. None of the 15 named substitutes had a number.

There was no starting lineout for the Kilkenny panel, which was listed in both numerical and alphabetical order, which meant that none of them wore the number beside their name in the programme. It shouldn’t have been too hard to give each player on both sides a number and then ask the respective mentors to get the players to wear jerseys with the numbers they were given in the programme.

To make matters worse, it was well into the game before the starting teams were announced over the public address system, which had remained strangely silent up to that point. Even after that, it was usually several minutes before substitutions made on both sides were detailed over the PA. Also, there were no flags for the umpires when the game started and again quite some time passed before this oversight was corrected.

As for the game, while Waterford started brightly enough, the Kilkenny half back line quickly came to exert a stranglehold which led to a continuous supply of good ball being made available to their forwards. Excellent mid-to-long range shooting, frequently while unmarked, saw the Kilkenny points total build up. They also set up several goal threatening movements by getting an overlap around the 45 metre line, but none of these came to fruition due to some good last-ditch defending by the Waterford full back line and one magnificent save by Adrian Power from a Richie Hogan piledriver.

With his long puckouts generally coming straight back, Power switched instead to directed puckouts, but in line with the general malaise affilcting his team, these frequently either didn’t reach their intended targets or were fumbled or otherwise messed up when they did.

At the other end, the Waterford inside line made poor use of a meagre supply of ball, although frequently the delivery from out the field was at least as poor. However, they did make one good incision when full forward Seamus Prendergast fielded a long ball in and managed to kick it past David Herity in the Kilkenny goal despite being under intense pressure. However, Kilkenny continued on their merry way and went in at half time seven points up, 0-15 to 1-5.

Waterford strengthened their hand considerably by bringing in Noel Connors, Brick Walsh and Tony Browne for the second half and switching Kevin Moran to midfield, Seamus Prendergast to left half forward and Stephen Molumphy (who started in midfield) to centre forward. However, the replacement of Eoin McGrath and Shane Fives by Eamon Murphy and Shane Casey did little to add to the team’s attacking threat.

Waterford got the best possible start to the second half when Tomás Ryan collected a good ball into the right corner, skinned his marker along the end line and crossed for Eoin Kelly to volley an excellent goal from close range. However, any hopes that this might spark a sustained Déise revival quickly dissipated as Kilkenny continued to dominate the game territorially through their ability to win good primary possession, especially in the air. However, growing inaccuracy (nine wides in the second half compared with four in the first) led to a fall-off in their scoring rate.

Waterford did win more possession in the second half, but they persisted in looking for goals when they had plenty of chances of scoring points from good positions out the field. As it was, most of the balls played into the Kilkenny goal area were poorly directed and, with Waterford having no ball winner inside anyway, these were easy meat for the Cats’ rearguard. However, there was one bright spot near the end when Eamon Murphy (whose previous contribution to the game consisted of the concession of three silly frees) got the ball on the right and took on Noel Hickey before centering to Tomás Ryan who billowed the net with a powerful shot.

Just after that, Eoin Kelly found Seamus Prendergast in front of goal with an excellent crossfield ball from the right touchline, but Prendergast’s shot at goal was beaten out by the scrambling Kilkenny defence. This left the final score Kilkenny 0-26 Waterford 3-9; in addition Kilkenny had 13 wides to Waterford’s seven.

It was difficult to see the play on the far side of the field from our ground-level position, especially on what was an overcast evening, and this may impact on our individual player assessments. Adrian Power dealt competently with all ball that came his way, and his superb first half save confirmed his status as one of the best shot stoppers in the business. His attempts at directed puckouts went awry on several occasions, but this wasn’t always his fault. It was clear that Waterford had no puckout strategy (especially given the half forward line they started with), which is strange in a team managed by a goalkeeper. Power was replaced for the second half by Stephen O’Keeffe who had very little to do except watch Kilkenny shots from out the field go sailing over his crossbar.

Declan Prendergast seemed to struggle a bit against Richie Hogan’s nimble footwork and excellent first touch, but he worked hard and a couple of his late interventions probably prevented Kilkenny goals. However, one wonders what was the point of starting him at corner back at this stage, especially with Noel Connors and Darragh Fives on the sideline. Connors replaced Prendergast at half time (switching over to the left corner) but, worryingly, went over on his leg late in the game and was promptly replaced by Darragh Fives.

I thought Wayne Hutchinson did quite well on Henry Shefflin, especially given the torrent of good quality ball that was being sent in from out the field. Hutchinson lived on the edge a lot of the time, and generally was allowed to get away with it by referee Cathal McAllister of Cork. He combines strength and aggressiveness with good ball skills, although he did have attempted clearances blocked by the opposing forwards, and should always try to drive out in situations like these.

I thought that Aidan “Ringo” Kearney did well in his first full game back after a lengthy bout of illness and injury. He has a particularly good knack of worming his way out of tight surroundings which is invaluable in a corner back.

It was hard to tell how Philip O’Mahony did at right half back in the first half, but at least his opposite number, Eddie Brennan, failed to score. I thought that Tony Browne did well when replacing O’Mahony in the second half. As stated. Kevin Moran acquitted himself more than adequately at centre back in the first half, while Brick Walsh did even better in that position after the change of ends, with his fielding and ability to drive out of defence again to the fore.

Once again, Jamie Nagle was a major source of worry at left half back. As usual, he hit a lot of ball during the course of the game, but he lacks physicality in the tackle and in the air. He was cleanly outfielded by his opposite number on several occasions while his trademark one-handed tap-down regularly gave possession away to gratefully waiting Kilkenny men.

In midfield, Richie Foley put in a hardworking stint following his return from injury, although his first touch frequently left him down. He was replaced during the second half by David O’Sullivan who again impressed me with his ability to get on the ball and run at opponents. He also popped over a lovely long-range point near the end to show to his team mates what they should have been doing throughout the second half.

Stephen Molumphy had his best game for some time, both in midfield in the first half and centre forward in the second, digging out dirty ball and moving it on. Kevin Moran did some good work at midfield in the second half but was not nearly as effective as he was at centre half in the first.

Once again Gavin Crotty failed to get into the game apart from one cross from the end line late in the first half which Seamus Prendergast fresh-aired in front of goal. He was replaced to little effect in the second half by Eamon Murphy whose contribution has been detailed above. Shane Fives looked out of place at centre forward in the first half. He did get on the ball on a number of occasions (which is more than can be said of this half forward colleagues) but his striking was slow and several times his efforts were blocked down.

The mystery of what Eoin McGrath is doing on the panel (never mind the field) continues as once again he made very little impression before being replaced on the wing after half time by Seamus Prendergast. At full forward in the first half, Prendergast did make a couple of good catches (two leading to poor wides) but otherwise struggled to deal with poor quality incoming ball. In the second half virtually all of Waterford’s puckouts were directed to his wing, and while he had little success early on, as the half progressed he seemed to shake himself into life, winning a lot of ball and even making a couple of powerful runs at goal. There were at least some glimpses of his former self here.

In the right corner, Tomás Ryan finished with 1-1 and set up a second goal, which isn’t a bad return for a corner forward. He also had to deal with a lot of poor quality incoming ball, and his inability to compete in one-to-one duels was again in evidence. Shane Casey was stationed at full forward for most of the second half and once again made very little impression, although the quality of incoming ball should also be kept in mind here.

In the left corner, Eoin Kelly looked much more keen to get involved than he has shown in previous recent outings, and although things generally didn’t go his way, the first time shot which brought Waterford’s second goal was a useful reminder of what he is capable of.

For Kilkenny, their full back line was exposed on occasions, both in the air against Seamus Prendergast, and for pace, by the Waterford inside line. As mentioned, their half backs provided the platform for their victory, while at midfield TJ Reid had a fruitful outing which netted five points. Up front, Richie Hogan landed four points from play with King Henry just behind on three and half forwards Michael Rice and Richie Power, along with second half substititue John Mulhall, hitting two each.

Waterford: Adrian Power; Declan Prendergast; Wayne Hutchinson; Aidan Kearney; Philip Mahony; Kevin Moran; Jamie Nagle (0-1); Stephen Molumphy; Richie Foley (0-3, frees); Gavin Crotty; Shane Fives; Eoin McGrath; Tomás Ryan (1-1); Seamus Prendergast (1-1); Eoin Kelly (1-2, two points frees). Substitutes: Noel Connors; Tony Browne; Brick Walsh; Eamon Murphy; Shane Casey (all half-time); David O’Sullivan (0-1), mid second half; Darragh Fives (late second half).

Kilkenny: David Herity; Paul Murphy; Noel Hickey; Jackie Tyrrell; Tommy Walsh; Brian Hogan; Paddy Hogan (0-1); TJ Reid (0-5); Colin Fennelly (0-1); Michael Rice (0-2); Richie Power (0-2); Eddie Brennan; Matthew Ruth; Henry Shefflin (0-8, five frees); Richie Hogan (0-4). Subs: Richie Doyle; PJ Delaney; Conor Fogarty (0-1); Kieran Joyce; Michael Kavanagh; John Mulhall (0-2) (all second half).

Spot on with your assessement of Hutchinson. I thought he did well on what was a bombarment of quality balls into Sheffin. We were destroyed midfield. Molmumphy did nothing midfield for me and is a shadow of his All star year form? O'Mahoney at wing back I can't remember hitting the ball. Tommy Ryan did well in the corner against no better a back than Jackie Tyrell. TJ Reid ran the show last night. stroking bars over against a strong wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Looking at the games today, and in a number of recent games, I would love to see someone with an interest in the game of football introduce a rule that would ban or restrict the amount of hand passes a team can use in a movement. Its ruining the games. Football is a fine game when it is played as it should, but we dont see many of these games. Maybe there could be a way that could be found where a catch and kick style would be rewarded in some way.

I think everyone was talking about that shambolic Antrim game 2 weekends ago, was like tag rubgy with all the passing

I think everyone was talking about that shambolic Antrim game 2 weekends ago, was like tag rubgy with all the passing

Who cares its Gaelic Football !!!!!!

• Advertisement

Jeddah wrote: »
    Who cares its Gaelic Football !!!!!!

I do and so do many thousands of others.

I do and so do many thousands of others.

Those thousands that you talk of are definately not in waterford anyway based on attendences at football matchs.

Can we get back to talking about our national game hurling and not that other muck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jeddah wrote: »
    Those thousands that you talk of are definately not in waterford anyway based on attendences at football matchs.

Can we get back to talking about our national game hurling and not that other muck.

May a plague of a thousand locusts decend upon your jocks!!!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    May a plague of a thousand locusts decend upon your jocks!!!

Jasus that would be heaven compared to having to watch a football match.

In fairness ye know im right!!!!

Is anybody else worried about the ball into the forwards?

Particularly in the league game against Kilkenny, the supply was shambolic. Fitzgerald implents this narrow style of play, with an emphasis on being more efficient i.e. less wides. But that won't work unloess the delivery is good, which it doesn't seem to be. The ball should be low and fast into a player like Tommy Ryan, with Shane Walsh it should be in front of him or if he's isolated on the full back it could be higher beacues he's good in the air. Again, Mullane needs fast, low ball he won't catch the ones that come down from the heavens. Also, I dunno can we beat Kilkenny. Any other team I'd say we could (though to be fair to Tipp we may have to prove that again), but Kilkenny seem to be able to read us easily. We have serious difficulties finding space against them.

Is anybody else worried about the ball into the forwards?

Particularly in the league game against Kilkenny, the supply was shambolic. Fitzgerald implents this narrow style of play, with an emphasis on being more efficient i.e. less wides. But that won't work unloess the delivery is good, which it doesn't seem to be. The ball should be low and fast into a player like Tommy Ryan, with Shane Walsh it should be in front of him or if he's isolated on the full back it could be higher beacues he's good in the air. Again, Mullane needs fast, low ball he won't catch the ones that come down from the heavens. Also, I dunno can we beat Kilkenny. Any other team I'd say we could (though to be fair to Tipp we may have to prove that again), but Kilkenny seem to be able to read us easily. We have serious difficulties finding space against them.

I glad to see that there may be someone else other than me that MAY have reservations about out county senior hurling manager and the tactics he uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

I glad to see that there may be someone else other than me that MAY have reservations about out county senior hurling manager and the tactics he uses.

Ha ! I was castigated for stating clear and un-contested facts about the current manager on another forum by some narrow minded twit with his fingers in his ears wanting to hear no evil.
    Look it, though he is hard to love, he is doing his very best - and has achieved a good few decent things - but shur aren't we all doing our best ? I made exactly the same points about the use of space before. Landing a high ball in on top of Tommy Ryan - you might as well tie one hand behind his back... wait ...... Jackie Tyrell did that for most of the first half.

Davy has brought many good things to the team but a use of space and what I call "heads up hurling" and a bit of vision is totally absent. It seems there are 2 or 3 players that would seem to most to be favourites of his that are not up to it, but I suppose we all have blind spots.. Big pluses were the form of Ringo, Molumphy & Ryan as has been stated above by GIF.

It was a great day for Tallow last night and I am sorry for anyone who was discommoded by the PA being a bit slow off the mark and the umpires not having flags. All I can say is that this was a huge event to organise. There were literally thousands of hours put in over the last few months to what you saw yesterday and every one of the lads who did the work deserves great credit. The surface is really good now and Brian Cody said as much after walking the pitch before the match.

Fair play to King Henry - he stayed and signed autographs and stuff on what was a cold damp night. I have a great photo of him with my young fella. A true legend and a gentleman - great to see him back.

I believe that Padraig Fanning said on WLR this morning that the reason Waterford were flat against Kilkenny was that it was their third match that week. Apparently they played Cork earlier in the week as well as Clare in Thurles on Friday night, a game which Fanning said Waterford won with a score of 2-22. On top of that, many of the players played football championship last weekend and Philip Mahony, Noel Connors and Darragh Fives played in the under 21 game against Kilkenny on Wednesday night.

While you might applaud the idea of giving everyone on the panel a decent run before the forthcoming championship game v Limerick, three games in five or six days is a bit ridiculous and it is easy on the basis of this to understand Waterford's flat performance last night (although Fanning apparently did say that they learned a lot from last night's game although how they could have is beyond me). I wouldn't be getting worried about Waterford or Kilkenny on the basis of this game - remember Waterford played some excellent hurling in beating Tipperary well in Holycross two weeks previously, and had no problems about "showing their hand" on that occasion.

The thing is, last night's was the only one of the three games this week that was widely advertised and for a very good cause. It was unfair both on the the big crowd that turned up, and especially the Tallow club, for the Waterford team to take the field in the mental and physical condition they were in. They should remember that most of the enormous sum of money spent on their preparation (and end-of-season holidays) comes from the type of dedicated fans who came expecting to see a good match and left disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Heyyyyyy.Ive been giving out for the last 2 years :pac:

I believe that Padraig Fanning said on WLR this morning that the reason Waterford were flat against Kilkenny was that it was their third match that week. Apparently they played Cork earlier in the week as well as Clare in Thurles on Friday night, a game which Fanning said Waterford won with a score of 2-22. On top of that, many of the players played football championship last weekend and Philip Mahony, Noel Connors and Darragh Fives played in the under 21 game against Kilkenny on Wednesday night.

While you might applaud the idea of giving everyone on the panel a decent run before the forthcoming championship game v Limerick, three games in five or six days is a bit ridiculous and it is easy on the basis of this to understand Waterford's flat performance last night (although Fanning apparently did say that they learned a lot from last night's game although how they could have is beyond me). I wouldn't be getting worried about Waterford or Kilkenny on the basis of this game - remember Waterford played some excellent hurling in beating Tipperary well in Holycross two weeks previously, and had no problems about "showing their hand" on that occasion.

The thing is, last night's was the only one of the three games this week that was widely advertised and for a very good cause. It was unfair both on the the big crowd that turned up, and especially the Tallow club, for the Waterford team to take the field in the mental and physical condition they were in. They should remember that most of the enormous sum of money spent on their preparation (and end-of-season holidays) comes from the type of dedicated fans who came expecting to see a good match and left disappointed.

They I assume meaning the managment? A point well made all the same and I agree, the fans and players should be primary concern, not management or officials.

What we all loved about Waterford hurling was the entertainment. That is definetly lacking during Fitzgerald's reign. Maybe if he just played a 3-3-2-3-3 we might get that.

I want us to win as well...I want us to be like Barca :D

Maybe I need to learn the value of compromise...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Great to see all the moaning that goes on here, it would be a shame if we ever won an all Ireland - no one could complain then. Obviously you are all experts, yes?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement