Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Et Cetera wrote: »
    Great to see all the moaning that goes on here, it would be a shame if we ever won an all Ireland - no one could complain then. Obviously you are all experts, yes?

Sorry Davy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Judging from peoples comments I find it hilarious that everytime we win a game we are potential AI champions and when we lose Davy is a terrible manager and we are useless. The reality is we are ordinary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I believe that Padraig Fanning said on WLR this morning that the reason Waterford were flat against Kilkenny was that it was their third match that week. Apparently they played Cork earlier in the week as well as Clare in Thurles on Friday night, a game which Fanning said Waterford won with a score of 2-22. On top of that, many of the players played football championship last weekend and Philip Mahony, Noel Connors and Darragh Fives played in the under 21 game against Kilkenny on Wednesday night.

While you might applaud the idea of giving everyone on the panel a decent run before the forthcoming championship game v Limerick, three games in five or six days is a bit ridiculous and it is easy on the basis of this to understand Waterford's flat performance last night (although Fanning apparently did say that they learned a lot from last night's game although how they could have is beyond me). I wouldn't be getting worried about Waterford or Kilkenny on the basis of this game - remember Waterford played some excellent hurling in beating Tipperary well in Holycross two weeks previously, and had no problems about "showing their hand" on that occasion.

The thing is, last night's was the only one of the three games this week that was widely advertised and for a very good cause. It was unfair both on the the big crowd that turned up, and especially the Tallow club, for the Waterford team to take the field in the mental and physical condition they were in. They should remember that most of the enormous sum of money spent on their preparation (and end-of-season holidays) comes from the type of dedicated fans who came expecting to see a good match and left disappointed.

Agree about the lack of respect shown by the management to the Tallow Club and the supporters who turned up to watch.

However the excuse that because they played 3 matchs in 6 days some way excuses the performance doesnt wash. What do they think Kilkenny were doing , at home minding themselves for this match??? I dont think so. Hopefully they wont be making excuses after the Limerick match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Heyyyyyy.Ive been giving out for the last 2 years :pac:

I am one year ahead of you. I have voiced concerns about Davy since i heard what was said or as some would say "was supposed to be said" to the Waterford players before the 2008 All-Ireland.

Maybe if he just played a 3-3-2-3-3 we might get that.

I agree 100%.

I dont know who came up with this idea that some coachs have that you must beat teams like Kilkenny at their own game to be successful. I think this is a load of crap. I dont believe you can beat a good team playing them at their own game. Maybe if we were to play a 3-3-2-3-3 formation, and to go back to the swash buckling hurling we played under Justin we might win something. I know we have a Munster Final won in Davy's watch playing his style of hurling, but how lucky were we to win it.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I am one year ahead of you. I have voiced concerns about Davy since i heard what was said or as some would say "was supposed to be said" to the Waterford players before the 2008 All-Ireland.

DT if you look back to when Davy was reappointed last year i think there was only a couple of voices at that meeting who stated their opposition to him being reappointed.

It looks like some of us are all fart and no **** when it comes to it!!

Jeddah wrote: »
    Agree about the lack of respect shown by the management to the Tallow Club and the supporters who turned up to watch.

It is not just to the Tallow Club and to Supporters last weekend that the present Senior Hurling Selectors are showing disrespect to. They show it every weekend that they play. I dont know what or who they are trying to fool with the B***s*** that they have at time. The naming of the team for games is gone beyond the joke.

Every other county can name a team and stick to it by Thursday at the latest, but can Davy and Waterford. Not on your Nellie. Someone somewhere, be it our county board (some of whom does not want a word said against Davy) or at Provincial or National Level should introduce a rule which would make team managers name their team a certain length of time before a game and if they dont hit them personally where it hurts in the pocket and they wont be long start doing things right. There is no reason why it cant done.

I know i was involved with an intercounty team in the past and we were able to have a team named on the Sunday and if not the Monday before a game which often was on a Saturday afternoon, and have the team with the then county secretary and/or PRO for forwarding to the printer of the programme/handout and the local and national papers.

I agree 100%.

I dont know who came up with this idea that some coachs have that you must beat teams like Kilkenny at their own game to be successful. I think this is a load of crap. I dont believe you can beat a good team playing them at their own game. Maybe if we were to play a 3-3-2-3-3 formation, and to go back to the swash buckling hurling we played under Justin we might win something. I know we have a Munster Final won in Davy's watch playing his style of hurling, but how lucky were we to win it.

We were poxed to win it , only for that other jennet Michael Cussen couldny put the ball over the bar from 20 yards. Must be one of the worst munster titles ever won.

DT if you look back to when Davy was reappointed last year i think there was only a couple of voices at that meeting who stated their opposition to him being reappointed.

It looks like some of us are all fart and no **** when it comes to it!!

The Clubs in the county have to take responsibility for this. They have been sending the same people to meetings with years. There seems to be the attitiute that Paddy or Johnny has been going to meetings for us with years, is doing a good job and it would be wrong to take the job of him now. Most of those that attend meetings sit there and not say a word. Some hardly move once they put their bum on a seat, except maybe with the exception to head to the loo to have a few quick puffs on a fag. And when clubs do say something or try something new, as the Saint Saviours Club tried to do this year with the Senior Football Championship, they are often blocked by the amount of votes there is on the various county and divisional boards.

The Clubs in the county have to take responsibility for this. They have been sending the same people to meetings with years. There seems to be the attitiute that Paddy or Johnny has been going to meetings for us with years, is doing a good job and it would be wrong to take the job of him now. Most of those that attend meetings sit there and not say a word. Some hardly move once they put their bum on a seat, except maybe with the exception to head to the loo to have a few quick puffs on a fag. And when clubs do say something or try something new, as the Saint Saviours Club tried to do this year with the Senior Football Championship, they are often blocked by the amount of votes there is on the various county and divisional boards.

Absolutely correct , the clubs need to send more proactive people to these meetings and not some auld sod who will sit there and make no contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Who cares its Gaelic Football !!!!!!

your mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

deisedude wrote: »
    Judging from peoples comments I find it hilarious that everytime we win a game we are potential AI champions and when we lose Davy is a terrible manager and we are useless. The reality is we are ordinary

Agreed. Its laughable what one challenge game defeat to the cats has done to this board! People calling for Davys head & saying; 'I told you so with the last 3 years'. Look it, game over ancient history. We had a reasonable league and Id be more positive about that than judging on a firendly game defeat to the cats.

Admittedly I agree with a lot of what is being said to an extent but I think we are very quick to draw conclusions in this county. We did play 'swashbuckling' hurling under Justin & we were very entertaining. But the reality is that some big names have gone, Flynn, Dan, Ken, Hartley amongst others and we just cant operate like that anymore. The younglads coming arent ripe enough yet and realistically we will still be depending a lot on whats left from the old guard again this year. Davy has got a year left on his contract and were not going changing the horse midstream, so I think just let it be & see where we end up. The position becsme available last year & realitically Davy was the only viable option as he had a backroom team & a plan in place already and the rest were just throwing their hat in the ring.

Munster semi against Limerick is the priority & imo it will be a huge challenge.

Your right Davy was the best of a bad lot.

Doesnt mean that we are not entitled to have an opinion and question tactics and selections.

Limerick will be a huge challenge mainly because of the style of play which Davy enforces and not because of the players we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

I am not "calling for his head" - just pointing out his obvious flaws. But you are right there wasn't a big queue for the job back then. There might be now though if the U21's have a good year....

egpower wrote: »
    I am not "calling for his head" - just pointing out his obvious flaws. But you are right there wasn't a big queue for the job back then. There might be now though if the U21's have a good year....

Three others went for it this year. I am not saying that the three others were any better than Davy and I am not saying that Davy was better than any of them, but why would anyone bother going for the job, especially in 2011 when member(s) of the committee carrying out the interviews had come out in advance of any interview taking place that Davy should get the job. Yes, i know we are all intitled to your opinions and to express them, but if someone is on an interview committee or there is a chance that they are on such a committee, then they should keep their opinions away from the public demain until an announcement is ready to be made. I know in every walk of life, before any interview takes place, for anything there is some involved that have their mind made up as to who should get the job and nothing will change their mind, no matter one.

Three others went for it this year.

Who were they ? Were they credible candidates ?

Who were they ? Were they credible candidates ?

Why did you not highlight the next line of what i had to say.

Discussion for later in the year i think.

Looking forward to Cork v Tipp match. Will be interesting to see how Tipp are going. Know they are missing 1 or 2 but should still have plenty to overcome Cork.

Why did you not highlight the next line of what i had to say.

Sorry Tom I don't understand the question... I just wanted to know who the other candidates were - not a trick question !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sorry Tom I don't understand the question... I just wanted to know who the other candidates were - not a trick question !

Eddie O'Connor
    Michael Ryan
    Jim Greene

Doesnt mean that we are not entitled to have an opinion and question tactics and selections.

Yea just as people who care about Waterford football are entitled to have an opinion without you slagging off Waterford football and degarding it. Dont give me that rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Three others went for it this year. I am not saying that the three others were any better than Davy and I am not saying that Davy was better than any of them, but why would anyone bother going for the job, especially in 2011 when member(s) of the committee carrying out the interviews had come out in advance of any interview taking place that Davy should get the job. Yes, i know we are all intitled to your opinions and to express them, but if someone is on an interview committee or there is a chance that they are on such a committee, then they should keep their opinions away from the public demain until an announcement is ready to be made. I know in every walk of life, before any interview takes place, for anything there is some involved that have their mind made up as to who should get the job and nothing will change their mind, no matter one.

Spot on. It wasn't a fair process, they had their mind made up before it started and that is the truth.

I don't see a long term plan with Davy like, if he won an all-ireland he'd be staight out the door. And I don't like that.

Someone said the youngsters aren't ripe enough yet to play that hurling, well they're not being encouraged. They'll never play good hurling if they don't get trained in that way. If you look at the difference between the hurling the minors play and the seniors, the minors are probably a better team to watch. Obviously, Senior is much tougher, but the fact is the emphasis is on running, and tackling and physical rather than playing hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hope ye dont mind an outsiders view lads ;) but I find this Davy debate very interesting and IMO and I have first hand experience of him, he is a very very good coach and motivator but tbh he is very limited tactically and even worse to make changes during the course of a game, what Waterford should do I think is have Davy as coach but have a seperate manager, not sure whether Davy would be open to such an arangement but from what I have seen he is not upto having full control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Surprised at the negative comments after only losing a challenge game with a starting side that will be nothing like our Championship side:

Adrian Power
    Declan Prendergast, Wayne Hutchinson, Aiden Kearney
    Philip Mahony, Kevin Moran, Jamie Nagle,
    Eoin McGrath, Richie Foley,
    Gavin Crotty, Shane Fives, Stephen Molumphy,
    Thomas Ryan, Seamus Prendergast, Eoin Kelly.

No Hennessy, Mullane, Brick, Tony, Connors, Walsh, some players out of their normal positions, up against a strong enough KK team. And they played 2 other challenges in the same week too.

Surprised at the negative comments after only losing a challenge game with a starting side that will be nothing like our Championship side:

Do people believe that the negative comments towards Davy are based on one result. Maybe its the case with some but not with everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Hope ye dont mind an outsiders view lads ;) but I find this Davy debate very interesting and IMO and I have first hand experience of him, he is a very very good coach and motivator but tbh he is very limited tactically and even worse to make changes during the course of a game, what Waterford should do I think is have Davy as coach but have a seperate manager, not sure whether Davy would be open to such an arangement but from what I have seen he is not upto having full control.

? Surely you can't be good at one without being good at the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

A third of the posts on this thread are people criticising those who criticise Davy Fitz. Another third are from people defending their right to criticise Davy Fitz. The remaining third are me spamming the thread :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

deiseach wrote: »
    A third of the posts on this thread are people criticising those who criticise Davy Fitz. Another third are from people defending their right to criticise Davy Fitz. The remaining third are me spamming the thread :D
    I'm guessing you fall into the latter group;)

Hope ye dont mind an outsiders view lads but I find this Davy debate very interesting and IMO and I have first hand experience of him, he is a very very good coach and motivator but tbh he is very limited tactically and even worse to make changes during the course of a game, what Waterford should do I think is have Davy as coach but have a seperate manager, not sure whether Davy would be open to such an arangement but from what I have seen he is not upto having full control.

Premierstone, I think you made an excellent point! Not so sure the SMB lad would go for it though...

He's not the full package (schilling?) but in his defence he does a lot well. I suppose we are just impatient and yes, it's easier to criticise from the ditch.

Orizio wrote: »

The two are in no way linked, a Coach in GAA is a trainer who is in charge of fitness and training regimes and drills, a manager is responsible for tactics, formation, style of hurling etc.

Most counties have a single guy performing both roles, Tipp for example dont, last year Eamonn O'Shea was coach and Liam Sheedy was manager, this year it is Tommy Dunne as coach and Declan Ryan as manager. My point is Davy performs both roles, he is extremely competent at one but very flawed at the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Do people believe that the negative comments towards Davy are based on one result. Maybe its the case with some but not with everyone.
    Sorry I meant negative comments regarding the performance in the challenge game only, not about Davy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Orizio wrote: »

Of course you can, you can be a great coach on the training pitch but weak tactically on the touchline during games.

I agree with premierstone's assessment. I think Davy Fitz has done an awful lot that should be applauded, like improving the players' physical condition and introducing around ten times the young players to the panel that Justin ever did.

But he is weak tactically, the tactics used against Tipp last year broke my heart, watching Mullane and young O' Halloran battling against 6 Tipp backs wh had the run of Croke Park nearly broke my heart. Great and all as the Munster Final win was we made heavy weather f beating what proved to be a very mediocre cork team. Football tactics can't be applied to the game of hurling. Its almots like he thinks we haven't the forwards to go toe to toe 6 on 6 with the better teams' backline, whih i think is rubbish. If we could get someone who combined the things Davy is good at getting the players motivated, in shape and prepared t fight to the end, with a bit of tactical awareness we'd be flying IMHO.

I'm prepared to back him and support him as long as he's in charge in Waterford and he has done a very good job in many ways but I'd love if he just let the team hurl in the conventional 15 positions on the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I suppose my implied point was that a good hurling coach/trainer gets his team playing a particular way, in a particular style and direction (i.e. tactics) by what he teaches and does on the training pitch. As an example, Donal Og Grady's drills focusing on less loved skills like soloing and handpassing and Cork similarly playing a a short running game with him in charge, or Kilkenny's 'famous' 15 a side no holds barred traning matches giving the Kilkenny team a real physical edge and aggression come championship. From that point tactics and training seem completely linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

In his first year the confidence was low people were saying we were finished for a few years. He got us to the Final, the semi's last year and won the Munsters. For people saying he is a bad manager thats not a bad record with an average enough team. He has freshened things up and brought through some much needed young talent which is an important part of his job. He got rid of the dead wood and brought players through. Thats what a good manager does unlike previous managers who kept calling up the same players. Being honest im not a massive hurling fan but i make sure to watch Waterford games so im not going to discuss tactics etc because im not qualified to talk about it. But i cant understand how people are saying he is a poor manager with his record. The team is shaping up nicely and i think we have a good chance of the Munsters and possibly the All Ireland.

Look lads i think the best way to judge a manager is by results.

First of all to give Davy credit , he took over a bag of sh*te in 08 and got us to an All Ireland final by beating Tipp in a great match in the semi. The following year the Galway win was the highlight getting us to another semi. Last year we won a munster title.

IMO this year we need to be pushing on one further. Dont think we can be satisfied with one big scalp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Look lads i think the best way to judge a manager is by results.

First of all to give Davy credit , he took over a bag of sh*te in 08 and got us to an All Ireland final by beating Tipp in a great match in the semi. The following year the Galway win was the highlight getting us to another semi. Last year we won a munster title.

IMO this year we need to be pushing on one further. Dont think we can be satisfied with one big scalp.

To be fair Kilkenny and Tipp are a level above us. Since he took over we have beat Tipp to get to a final. Beat Galway who people said were better same with Cork. We are in the 2nd tier bracket along with Galwayand Cork teams we have consistently done better than since he took over. Its going to be hard to kick on. People are making it out like we won nothing under him or getting beat by teams we shouldnt. Since he took over besides Tipp and Kilkenny we have beating most teams we were expected to beat while aso beating teams who people said were better than us. Some of the scorelines have been bad against the top 2 but we can improve on that this year. Maybe he got his tactics wrong in the big games but he will learn from these mistakes he is a young and hungry manager. I think he is building a young team capable of competing this year for the All Ireland or maybe next year. Its a building process. What about the fella a few pages back saying winning the Munsters wasnt much of an achievement because of the standard of the Final. Any fan celebrates no matter how you win a game its about results and supporting the team. Would ya not take playing ****e and winning the all ireland this year, would ya still want him out then and would it also feel like not an achievment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How do you think Waterford could do in the Hurling Quilfers if the unthinkable happens June 12th. Could we beat Dublin or are they a superior team now

I may be a lone voice here but Ithink Dublin may have peaked for the year! I don't see them winning Leinster and I don't see them making the AI final. Don't get me wrong - I am a huge Dublin fan - delighted for them. But if you look at the last 10-15 minutes of the League Final, their free taker (Paul Ryan?) missed 3 if not 4 scoreable frees. After a great drive to take command of the match, they were visibly wobbling - and wobbling terribly. They were there for the taking. The thing is KK were really bad that day and couldn't take advantage of it. It was only after the clock turned to 70 minutes (6 minutes of injury time followed) that Dublin really believed and played without the handbrake on as Wenger says. In their heart of hearts do they believe that if KK were operating at even 75% of normal that they would still have beaten them ? Just a thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I may be a lone voice here but Ithink Dublin may have peaked for the year! I don't see them winning Leinster and I don't see them making the AI final. Don't get me wrong - I am a huge Dublin fan - delighted for them. But if you look at the last 10-15 minutes of the League Final, their free taker (Paul Ryan?) missed 3 if not 4 scoreable frees. After a great drive to take command of the match, they were visibly wobbling - and wobbling terribly. They were there for the taking. The thing is KK were really bad that day and couldn't take advantage of it. It was only after the clock turned to 70 minutes (6 minutes of injury time followed) that Dublin really believed and played without the handbrake on as Wenger says. In their heart of hearts do they believe that if KK were operating at even 75% of normal that they would still have beaten them ? Just a thought..

I actually would agree, as good a team Dublin are, I just can't see them pushing on in the championship. Don't get me wrong, they've a very good chance to do something this year, as some might say it's an open enough championship but Dublin have been operating at a very high intensity since the start of the year and the problem with that is when they reach their peak (which I think was the league final) it's very difficult to maintain. I feel that later on in the summer when we and other teams are reaching their peak, Dublin may not be able to match the performances and energy that we've seen in their league games.
    Also, I think the fact that they don't have a great deal of experience in AI quarters/semis etc. will go against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How do you think Waterford could do in the Hurling Quilfers if the unthinkable happens June 12th. Could we beat Dublin or are they a superior team now

Hate to think of not getting there, but I would absolutely hate to end up in the qualifiers against Dublin.

Once again the unfairness of the qualifiers is shown this year with the losing provincial semi finalists getting harder draws than those who lose earlier in the provincial championships

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on Tipp v Cork and Offaly v Dublin.

Dont think Cork will be that far off but Tipp might have a small bit too much for them in Thurles. Cork dont have the same goal threat as they had last year with O Hailpin and also have a good few debutants.

If Dublin have any real intentions this year they will need to get off to a good win here. Offaly are missing a few and the match is on in Croker so Dublin will have no excuses.

Dont think Cork will be that far off but Tipp might have a small bit too much for them in Thurles. Cork dont have the same goal threat as they had last year with O Hailpin and also have a good few debutants.

If Dublin have any real intentions this year they will need to get off to a good win here. Offaly are missing a few and the match is on in Croker so Dublin will have no excuses.

Dublin will have to win. Failing to do so could mean that they play either Cork or Tipperary in the qualifiers. While i know that they have won the league this year, championship is another thing, and you would have to fancy the munster side if they did meet Dublin.

I agree with whats being said about Dublin. League and championship are 2 different competitions and while its big deal to win it, championship is where you will be judged. Remember Dublin were knocked out by Antrim last year, and until they take a big scalp in the championship they will still not get the respect from the traditional hurling counties.
    Dont write Offaly off here, the Dubs can be desperately inconsistent and traditionally Offaly love being written off.
    Cork & Tipp I think there will be little in it. I never remember a Cork team being so written off and I cant see why. A few of the older lads are on the bench and people saying that this team is gone is a discredit to the younglads coming through. The likes of William Egan & Luke O'Farrell are serious operators and the wouldnt be startiung on Sunday otherwise. Youd fancy Tipp to just shade it but if you look at their league form it wasnt actually that great either, considering Cork are being judged on league form

Apparently this is the U21 team to play Tipp next week per Tinkersgate

1.STEPHEN O KEEFE

2.JAMIE BARRON
    3.DARRAGH FIVES
    4.NOEL CONNORS

5.PAURIC PRENDERGAST
    6.PHILIP MAHONY
    7.STEVEN DANILES

8.OWEN WHELAN
    9.MARTIN O NEILL

10.EAMONN MURPHY
    11.PAURIC MAHONY
    12.EOIN MADIGAN

13.BRIAN O HALLORAN
    14.BRIAN O SULLIVAN
    15.JAKE DILLON

Will Brian O' Halloran be fit?? Have heard conflicting stories, some that he'll make it, some saying his hamstring is still fecked and needs more treatment on it. Would be great if he does make it though.
    1-7 will definitely be as above, they all played very well in the challenge game against KK last week, particularly Fives and Daniels. I heard Daniels is meant to be going to America for the summer but is willing to put it off if next Wednesday night goes well up in Thurles.
    Hopefully Martin O' Neill will play like he did in the '09 Munster final v Tipp, good skillful hurler with a lovely strike. Whelan isn't hugely skillful but he's an out and out workhorse and will do a "Molumphy job" so that's a good skill/work combo midfield.
    Wouldn't expect Mahony and Murphy to win much ball in the air half forward so they'll have to use their pace to work some openings, Madigan is capable tough.
    Good inside forward line if that's the way they start, all capable of racking up a good few scores each.
    Good options on the bench too with Curran, Brophy, Owen Connors et al.
    Can't wait for this game.

Tipp -3 and Dublin -5 for me, cant see anything else.

Think Corks midfield and backs will really struggle and wouldnt agree re. the goal threat, Aisake was never a goal threat, more like a threat to himself and the inside forward line Cork have named is the only line IMO that looks stronger than last years.

Dublin are full of confidence and Daly will keep their feet on the ground, they have a bit of steel now with the likes of Keaney and O'Dwyer, this allied to the fact Ofally are missing a few and there are rumours of alot of discontent within the camp, all points to a comfortable enough outing for Dublin.

Apparently this is the U21 team to play Tipp next week per Tinkersgate

1.STEPHEN O KEEFE

2.JAMIE BARRON
    3.DARRAGH FIVES
    4.NOEL CONNORS

5.PAURIC PRENDERGAST
    6.PHILIP MAHONY
    7.STEVEN DANILES

8.OWEN WHELAN
    9.MARTIN O NEILL

10.EAMONN MURPHY
    11.PAURIC MAHONY
    12.EOIN MADIGAN

13.BRIAN O HALLORAN
    14.BRIAN O SULLIVAN
    15.JAKE DILLON

Thats a very strong team in particular from 1-7, if the draw hadnt been so unkind to Waterford - Tipp in thurles, and then Cork in Cork if they win - the 6/1 in PP would be an amazing price, im actually temped by it even allowing for the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Tipp -3 and Dublin -5 for me, cant see anything else.

Think Corks midfield and backs will really struggle and wouldnt agree re. the goal threat, Aisake was never a goal threat, more like a threat to himself and the inside forward line Cork have named is the only line IMO that looks stronger than last years.

Dublin are full of confidence and Daly will keep their feet on the ground, they have a bit of steel now with the likes of Keaney and O'Dwyer, this allied to the fact Ofally are missing a few and there are rumours of alot of discontent within the camp, all points to a comfortable enough outing for Dublin.

Arent Dublin missing a few halfbacks? Mightnt be as easy a game for them as people think

Thats a very strong team in particular from 1-7, if the draw hadnt been so unkind to Waterford - Tipp in thurles, and then Cork in Cork if they win - the 6/1 in PP would be an amazing price, im actually temped by it even allowing for the draw.

The price goes to show what we're up against tbh, we could do with Noel McGrath and a few of yer others having an off day! If we win Wednesday night, I think we'd have Cork at home in the semis since we played them down in the Pairc last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone on here read Big Dan's book? i read it during the week, couldnt put it down, it a good read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement