Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I know but in fairness, that is largely due to the fact that people would be dubbed moaners otherwise like. Everybody hates somebody who complains about a ref despite winning, and I don't think it detracts from the argument that Kirwan had a bad day, and has had his fair share of those. Up until he made that howler of a decision in 2009 I thought he was refereeing quite well, I remember noting it because I was suprised but it was a bad call. But I think wednesdays was a worse performance, just not as significant.

Anyway point still stands, referees should have more rigorous training and fitness tests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I know but in fairness, that is largely due to the fact that people would be dubbed moaners otherwise like. Everybody hates somebody who complains about a ref despite winning, and I don't think it detracts from the argument that Kirwan had a bad day, and has had his fair share of those. Up until he made that howler of a decision in 2009 I thought he was refereeing quite well, I remember noting it because I was suprised but it was a bad call. But I think wednesdays was a worse performance, just not as significant.

Anyway point still stands, referees should have more rigorous training and fitness tests.

The biggest problems with referees i think is the accessor. There is someone sitting some place in the stand for all the big games, and he marks every call the referee makes. If he makes too many mistakes, then there is the chance that he will not get any more games for the rest of the year. Your man from Tyrone, i cant think of his name, Martin something, after his howler in last years Leinster Final, allowing Meaths late goal or was it a dodgy try, had to wait until well into this years national League campaign for his next inter county game and even then i dont think it was a very high profile game. The biggest problem i think with the accessor is that they do not allow referees to use common sense. Referee's like Dickie Murphy would be under a lot of pressure with some of the assessing. They expect them to referee the game to the letter of the law. The rules are changing the whole times, sometimes it is only a minor change and people dont know that the rule is changed or maybe has forgotten about the change and maybe this leads to confusion, especially with supporters. Many of the calls that a referee makes during the game are in fact correct which is something that frustrates fans.

I have said i was not at the game on Wednesday last, and therefore dont know how good or how bad Diarmuid Kirwan was and have to rely on what i heard or read about the game and his handling of it.

I would love to see the referee's accessors report however and see how he marked Kirwan's performance. These accessors are often former inter county referees themselves, and i dont think they have reason to knock down a referee, i am sure they try and encourage them as much as possible. I am sure if they marked Kirwan as they should, that he may infact have got a good mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I still would not boo or argue after a game. Walking out after the game my friends were giving out to anybody who would listen and a few Tipp supporters said' your always the same. Don't get me wrong I wasn't happy myself but when I taught about it afterwards what did it change we still lost, its nicer coming out having won we always seem to be saying next year. From the start of the game Tipp looked like winners, fair play to the lads in the second half they could have won it if Maurice had been awarded a penalty or if Pauric had dipped instead of the ground stroke we may have won it. Its a pity the last goal went in because 5 points in the end wasn't a fair reflection on the game overall I did say I would only give Kerwin 2 out 10 but I don't hate the man but I get the feeling he doesn't like us this isn't the first or second time he has been unfair to us. I said before the game to my friends we will won't win this one when I saw his name on the program.

Is that the case at club level though? And we see plenty of poor performances at that level.

Waterford v Cork today, team for anyone that doesn't have it:

1.Kieran Cotter (Geraldines)
    2.Maurice O Gorman (The Nire)
    3.Thomas O Gorman (The Nire)
    4.Kieran Connery (Stradbally)
    5.Eamon Walsh (Ballinameela)
    6.Shane Briggs (Ballinacourty)
    7.Tony Grey (Stradbally)
    8.Mick Ahern (Kill)
    9.Brian Phelan (Ballinameela)
    10.Brian Wall (The Nire)
    11.Patrick Hurney (Balliancourty)
    12.Wayne Hennessey (Ardmore)
    13.Gary Hurney (Ballinacourty)
    14.Sean Fleming (Clashmore)
    15.Tommy Prendergast (Killrossanty)

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    I still would not boo or argue after a game. Walking out after the game my friends were giving out to anybody who would listen and a few Tipp supporters said' your always the same. Don't get me wrong I wasn't happy myself but when I taught about it afterwards what did it change we still lost, its nicer coming out having won we always seem to be saying next year. From the start of the game Tipp looked like winners, fair play to the lads in the second half they could have won it if Maurice had been awarded a penalty or if Pauric had dipped instead of the ground stroke we may have won it. Its a pity the last goal went in because 5 points in the end wasn't a fair reflection on the game overall I did say I would only give Kerwin 2 out 10 but I don't hate the man but I get the feeling he doesn't like us this isn't the first or second time he has been unfair to us. I said before the game to my friends we will won't win this one when I saw his name on the program.

Bit rich from them

• Advertisement

Is that the case at club level though? And we see plenty of poor performances at that level.

Waterford v Cork today, team for anyone that doesn't have it:

1.Kieran Cotter (Geraldines)
    2.Maurice O Gorman (The Nire)
    3.Thomas O Gorman (The Nire)
    4.Kieran Connery (Stradbally)
    5.Eamon Walsh (Ballinameela)
    6.Shane Briggs (Ballinacourty)
    7.Tony Grey (Stradbally)
    8.Mick Ahern (Kill)
    9.Brian Phelan (Ballinameela)
    10.Brian Wall (The Nire)
    11.Patrick Hurney (Balliancourty)
    12.Wayne Hennessey (Ardmore)
    13.Gary Hurney (Ballinacourty)
    14.Sean Fleming (Clashmore)
    15.Tommy Prendergast (Killrossanty)

The junior team named is

1. Glen Kelly Tramore
    2. Michael Crotty Rathgormac
    3. Michael Supple Ardmore
    4. Mark Prendergast Kilrossanty
    5. Adam O’Loughlin St. Mollerans
    6. Eddie Rockett (Capt) Stradbally
    7. Trevor Costello Stradbally
    8. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    9. David Kirwan John Mitchells
    10. Darren Guiry The Nire
    11. Craig Guiry The Nire
    12. Edmond Hogan Rathgormac
    13. John Walsh Colligan
    14. Eoghan Walsh Ballinameela
    15. Michael Moore The Nire

I am sure its a mistake at Patrick Hurney was included on the two teams, and that it might be John thats playing with the Juniors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

While it was obvious cork would win today I am fearful for Waterford after only 18mins!!!
    I heard it was 3-15 V 1-8 in the junior match.

Looks like Cork are going to town on our footballers 3. 07 to 02 already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Looks like Cork are going to town on our footballers 3. 07 to 02 already.

looks a bit better now 3-8 V 1-6, pen just before ht

Where ca ya get updates on the match?

• Advertisement

Rte.ie.... also the bro is at it:D

In the lions den thats not to bad hope they can keep it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

http://twitter.com/#!/OfficialCorkGAA
    <3 Twitter

Waterford should really get an official score updates page tho, Im like following nearly every other county in other to find out the Waterford results!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Rte.ie.... also the bro is at it:D

They didn't give the names of the Waterford scorers, that is annoying me!

They didn't give the names of the Waterford scorers, that is annoying me!

They said Gary Hurney got the goal if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

5-14 to 1-6 after 50 mins.. gee

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    5-14 to 1-6 after 50 mins.. gee

they might have been better off not getting so close with the pen just before ht - 20 mins left.....hoping a few subs come in and they take it easy, no need to put the boot in.

Jesus that's disapointing, with a full team as well. Gunna be hard to regroup for the qualifiers.

deise_girl wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/#!/OfficialCorkGAA
    <3 Twitter

Waterford should really get an official score updates page tho, Im like following nearly every other county in other to find out the Waterford results!

Twitter and Face Book

Jesus that's disapointing, with a full team as well. Gunna be hard to regroup for the qualifiers.

at least you would imagine it can only get better in the qualifiers to be fair.

• Advertisement

Yeah hopefully.

Well Tom, maybe the GAA don't fix things after all.

Qualifier draw:

Preliminary Phase – week ending Sat June 18
    Antrim v Westmeath; Laois v Cork

Phase One – weekending Sat June 25
    Laois/Cork v Offaly; Antrim/Westmeath v Carlow.

Means one of Antrim, Wesmeath and Carlow will get a crack at the winners of phase 2 (losers of the provincial semis)

at least you would imagine it can only get better in the qualifiers to be fair.

Sligo, London, Meath, Laois, Clare, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Longford, Wicklow, Offaly, Tipperary, Antrim and last years beaten all-Ireland finalist Down already confirmed as the teams that will play in the first round qualifiers, and with the losers of the Cavan/Donegal, Carlow/Louth, and Wexford/Westmeath games also to join them in the first round of qualifiers there wont be many easy games in the qualifiers.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Sligo, London, Meath, Laois, Clare, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Longford, Wicklow, Offaly, Tipperary, Antrim and last years beaten all-Ireland finalist Down already confirmed as the teams that will play in the first round qualifiers, and with the losers of the Cavan/Donegal, Carlow/Louth, and Wexford/Westmeath games also to join them in the first round of qualifiers there wont be many easy games in the qualifiers.

There are certainly no easy games there but I don't think Waterford will be hockyed by any of them and will surely be in with a chance of beating some of them on their day.

There are certainly no easy games there but I don't think Waterford will be hockyed by any of them and will surely be in with a chance of beating some of them on their day.

If Waterford were to get someone like Clare, Wicklow, Offaly, Tipperary, Carlow or Westmeath at home, i think they would have a good chance of advancing to the third round of qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Deise Tom wrote: »

If we drew any of the bolded teams we have a more than fighting chance.

Qualifers is like a one euro mix up...there's never enough pink and white coke bottles.:)

And, also it's very unpredictable. All those teams on there day are capable of upsetting most other teams in the country...sure London nearly stunned Mayo. But Waterford aren't as bad as people think we are, and we're due one. Bita luck and they might string a few wins together! To be fair, Cork looked to be just diiferent class today. What can you do?

Qualifers is like a one euro mix up...there's never enough pink and white coke bottles.:)

And, also it's very unpredictable. All those teams on there day are capable of upsetting most other teams in the country...sure London nearly stunned Mayo. But Waterford aren't as bad as people think we are, and we're due one. Bita luck and they might string a few wins together! To be fair, Cork looked to be just diiferent class today. What can you do?

Why is that? always písses me off:D

Having watched the highlights tonight, Cork really did look very good.
    Munster final could be a right cracker.

Next Sunday we face Limerick ,what are our chances in this one I'm looking forward to this one hoping for a good one. I think its 50. 50. Any views. Limerick are quiet confident.

flahavaj wrote: »
    If we drew any of the bolded teams we have a more than fighting chance.

London could be tough. They took Mayo who will be one of the faviourites to advance furdest from Connacht this year to Extra time last week.

• Advertisement

I think we'll win by about 5. Fitzgerald is now in his 3rd full year, the assault on Liam McCarthy must be this year. I'm sure it's the aim that's been there all the time, but we're probably best set to do it now.

Possible line-up:

1.Clinton
    2.Darragh Fives
    3.Hutchison
    4.Connors
    5.Tony
    6.Brick
    7.Nagle
    8.Moran
    9.Foley
    10.Molumphy
    11.Shane Sully
    12.Eoin McGrath
    13.Mullane
    14.Shane Walsh
    15.Eoin Kelly

I think that's the strongest team we've had since 2007. I think Hutchison will shade it over Liam Lawlor because Liam hasn't had the game time and Hutchison to be fair has looked solid. I always liked Nagle but I wasn't sure that wing back was his position. I think he improved a lot over the league. Still prone to the odd mistake but pretty good. I wouldn't have Eoin McGrath starting but it looks like he will. The last spot (15) is a hard one to call. In every championship game last year Fitzgerald picked someone different. It's a pity O Halloran missed the league and is still injured. I had hoped he'd get a good run at that spot this year and that he'd be good there but he hasn't gotten the chance, I don't think he'll feature this year. I'd also start Brian O'Sullivan ahead of Kelly. Maybe he'll play Kelly at twelve and start O'Sullivan but I'd be suprised.

The rest of the team bar 3, 12 and 15 I'm certain that's how they'll line up.

Moran is playing out of skin, Brick too having rediscovered his form. Shane Walsh is back in his best position and a real threat, Mullane is Mullane. Shane O'Sullivan looks good at centre forward and is hopefully the answer to a long standing problem. I dunno how Tony still does but the important thing is he does, exceptional athlete. It's a strong team, and it should be too strong for Limerick. It would want to be, as I said this is the year we need to be thinking about that title, other wise Fitzgerald won't be returning (whether he'd come back if we did win an all-ireland or not is another stroy)

I think we'll win by about 5. Fitzgerald is now in his 3rd full year, the assault on Liam McCarthy must be this year. I'm sure it's the aim that's been there all the time, but we're probably best set to do it now.

Possible line-up:

1.Clinton
    2.Darragh Fives
    3.Hutchison
    4.Connors
    5.Tony
    6.Brick
    7.Nagle
    8.Moran
    9.Foley
    10.Molumphy
    11.Shane Sully
    12.Eoin McGrath
    13.Mullane
    14.Shane Walsh
    15.Eoin Kelly

I think that's the strongest team we've had since 2007. I think Hutchison will shade it over Liam Lawlor because Liam hasn't had the game time and Hutchison to be fair has looked solid. I always liked Nagle but I wasn't sure that wing back was his position. I think he improved a lot over the league. Still prone to the odd mistake but pretty good. I wouldn't have Eoin McGrath starting but it looks like he will. The last spot (15) is a hard one to call. In every championship game last year Fitzgerald picked someone different. It's a pity O Halloran missed the league and is still injured. I had hoped he'd get a good run at that spot this year and that he'd be good there but he hasn't gotten the chance, I don't think he'll feature this year. I'd also start Brian O'Sullivan ahead of Kelly. Maybe he'll play Kelly at twelve and start O'Sullivan but I'd be suprised.

Moran is playing out of skin, Brick too having rediscovered his form. Shane Walsh is back in his best position and a real threat, Mullane is Mullane. Shane O'Sullivan looks good at centre forward and is hopefully the answer to a long standing problem. I dunno how Tony still does but the important thing is he does, exceptional athlete. It's a strong team, and it should be too strong for Limerick. It would want to be, as I said this is the year we need to be thinking about that title, other wise Fitzgerald won't be returning (whether he'd come back if we did win an all-ireland or not is another stroy)

Can see the team lining out along that line. However i cant see Kelly playing and see maurice or Mahony playing and coming out as a possible extra half forward.

A lot of people think that Adrian Power should be in goal and they way he has played over the past while he would deserve his place. However Davy in the past when questioned about the goal keepers position quite rightly has answered back, what as Clinton done wrong. The answer, well little and it would be hard to drop him just for the sake of it. We have to remember that last year he was in the running for an all-star.

The number two shirt could also be interesting. Eoin Murphy has made it his own over the past few years. Through no fault of his own he will not see much of it this year. Davy again quite rightly has given Darragh Fives the chance to challenge for it and he has taken that chance. Ringo is also on the way back and he will be pushing hard for a place there. I know that in the past Davy was an admirer of the Tallow man and had hopes for him to fill the full back position but that never really worked out for what-ever reason. Maybe we might see him in the corner again or on the wing.

I wouldn't like to see E McGrath or Nagle or E Kelly starting from the team named above. I'd have Dec Prender or Ringo at wing back, O Sullivan or O Halloran in the corner and I'd have Maurice or O Mahoney at wing forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'd agree with that, it seems all positions bar 3, 12 and 15 are cemented in but I'm not fully convinced Nagle will get 7, could be Dec or Ringo there. Might be a possibility that Ringo will get the nod over Darragh Fives but I think Fives will ultimately start. Hutchy looks odds on to take 3. I just don't like the thought of Eoin McGrath in the starting 15 at all.

That leaves 12 and 15. I reckon Maurice will take 12, either himself or Paudric Mahony it's a tough one to call. Possible that Kelly might even get the nod there. Just have a slight fancy for Shan given his bit more experience than Mahony (not much but you know what I mean) and in fairness to Maurice he played well in the U21 game last Weds night so I think that may shade it for him.

15 is interesting, toss up between Kelly again, Brian O'Sullivan, maybe Paudric Mahony and I wouldn't fully rule out Brian O'Halloran yet either tbh.
    On that basis:
    1.Clinton
    2.Darragh Fives
    3.Hutchison
    4.Connors
    5.Tony
    6.Brick
    7.Dec/Ringo (whoever looks to be in better form)
    8.Moran
    9.Foley
    10.Molumphy
    11.Shane Sully
    12.Maurice
    13.Mullane
    14.Shane Walsh
    15.Eoin Kelly/Brian O'Sullivan/Paudric Mahony (again, whoever is in better form)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What's the story with Eoin Kelly?? Why does no one want him to start anymore? Is it because you've found a new free-taker?

The full-back...is he fast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fireball07 wrote: »
    What's the story with Eoin Kelly?? Why does no one want him to start anymore? Is it because you've found a new free-taker?

The full-back...is he fast?

Questionable attitude and in horrible form are the main reasons. No doubting his talent. He is definately our best free taker but i think this has made him complacent and he doesnt do enough from play

Hutchy shouldnt be caught for pace. I'd worry more about him commanding the square for high balls to be honest

• Advertisement

I dunno. Ringo has had no competitive game time. It's about time Prender was a sub to be honest. Both of them. Deccie was a good corner back in his day but I think that's come and gone. Seamus was a brilliant forward but his legs aren't able for that level anymore in my opinion.

Eoin McGrath will start, I reckon. He's played a lot of games. Mahony was good enough against Tipp in the 21s but not brilliant and Sundays game is an even bigger step up. Maurice to me isn't fit enough. He looked very tired a short way into the second half. Thats why I reckon he'll stick with Eoin McGrath, though it could be Seamus. Brain O'Sullivan has been getting scores consistently and got 1-4 in the 21s game. Would like to see him included and if neccesary play Eoin Kelly at half forward, a position he'd be more comfortable in. But he really does need to shape up, there's replacements there now.

Hutchison has been in good form and I think that is quite a good half back line. They won't concede the goals to Limerick that Clare did, or certainly not if the ball into the forwards is as poor as it was in the divison two league final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Deccie would be more physically stronger and a bit more defensively solid than Nagle but Nagle would have more hurling in him and a bit better skill than Dec. Nagle's distribution is poor though and we saw last year against Clare that Deccie is capable of bursting forward. I'd agree that Ringo wouldn't have the game time under his belt however.
    Wouldn't mind seeing Maurice start, even if he will only last a half or 45mins.
    I'd be a bit more confident with Hutchinson starting, he attacks the ball well and I think is the best option we have for 3.

Are tickets on sale at Walsh park this week anyone know?

I dunno. Against a good wing forward I'd be worried about Prendergast and his notable lack of pace. I think the Clare game was a bit of a stand alone there. We'll see what happens, I'd prefer Ringo to both I suppose but he has hardly played so it's not likely. We have a fair old team though, a team that should be capable of challenging for the All Ireland this year and I expect nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

I'm sorry but it's been long enough we've had Ringo, Dec Pender and Nagle at wing back. All are relatively average players. So can somebody please tell me WHY Philip Mahony isn't in contention nor anybody is mentioning his name? He was the star of the minor team that won Munster, the star of the successful De La Salle college teams, the most promising talent to come out of Ballygunner since Hartley and only last week he was our star performer against Tipp in the under-21. He gave a Brick Walsh-like performance and I thought he was fantastic up in Thurles. Yet he continues to be over-looked.

My team for Limerick would be:
    1. Adrian Power
    2. Darragh Fives
    3. Wayne Hutchison
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Michael 'Brick' Walsh
    7. Philip Mahony
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Richie Foley
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Pauric Mahony
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Maurice Shannahan

I have no problem with admitting that I am bias in wanting younger players picked over older players but that is because I think over the long term we have some fantastic prospects that need developing ASAP in championship hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

johnfarmer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but it's been long enough we've had Ringo, Dec Pender and Nagle at wing back. All are relatively average players. So can somebody please tell me WHY Philip Mahony isn't in contention nor anybody is mentioning his name? He was the star of the minor team that won Munster, the star of the successful De La Salle college teams, the most promising talent to come out of Ballygunner since Hartley and only last week he was our star performer against Tipp in the under-21. He gave a Brick Walsh-like performance and I thought he was fantastic up in Thurles. Yet he continues to be over-looked.

My team for Limerick would be:
    1. Adrian Power
    2. Darragh Fives
    3. Wayne Hutchison
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Tony Browne
    6. Michael 'Brick' Walsh
    7. Philip Mahony
    8. Kevin Moran
    9. Stephen Molumphy
    10. Richie Foley
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Pauric Mahony
    13. John Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Maurice Shannahan

I have no problem with admitting that I am bias in wanting younger players picked over older players but that is because I think over the long term we have some fantastic prospects that need developing ASAP in championship hurling.

Yes he is a fantastic prospect but i dont think he stood out in the league at senior level. Doesnt matter what he did at underage its irrelevant. If a Ballygunner player deserves to play in the half back line at this moment in time it would be David O'Sullivan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

I dunno. Against a good wing forward I'd be worried about Prendergast and his notable lack of pace. .

some of the comments on here are pretty clueless, Declan Prendergast isn't the worlds most skillfull hurler but he certainly has plenty pace

ovalu wrote: »
    some of the comments on here are pretty clueless, Declan Prendergast isn't the worlds most skillfull hurler but he certainly has plenty pace

Harsh. Well, Bonner Maher gave him enough of it last year. I wouldn't start him.

I wouldn't start Mahony. He was very good against Tipp, aminly in the second half, even he didn't stand out in the first half. And in the league he was decent but not brilliant, I wouldn't toss him in just yet. I'd agree about David O'Sullivan but I still wouldn't start him.

IMO Dec Prender has plenty hurling in him. I'd prefer to see him there than Nagle anyway tbh.

Lismore won Sargent Cup this evening. Was a good game. Despite both teams been short a few players, they were still able to field strong teams. Final Score 1-15 to 0-17.

Lismore: S Barry; P Fennessy, M Coleman, S Heaphy; J Prendergast, D O’Gorman, J Bennett; E Quann, P O’Keeffe; P Coleman, D Howard, C O’Gorman; T Walsh, D Shanahan, J Heneghan. Subs: C Tinnelly for P Fennessy, B Bennett for T Walsh.
    Scorers: J Heneghan 1-5 (0-1 frees), J Prendergast 0-3 (0-1 free, 0-1 ’65), E Quann, D Shanahan, C O’Gorman 0-2 each, D Howard 0-1.

De La Salle: J Cody; K Byrne, I Flynn, M Doherty; B Phelan, C Watt, C Clancy; E Barrett, D Twomey; P Nevin, J Keane, T Kearney; J Dillon, E Madigan, L Hayes. Subs: A Sullivan for J Dillon, C Sheehan for T Kearney, S McNulty for L Hayes.
    Scorers: E Madigan 0-6 (0-1 frees), J Keane 0-3 (0-1 frees), E Barrett, P Nevin 0-2 each, J Dillon (free), A Sullivan, B Phelan (free), D Twomey 0-1 each.

Referee: P Casey (Cappoquin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

deisedude wrote: »
    Questionable attitude and in horrible form are the main reasons. No doubting his talent. He is definately our best free taker but i think this has made him complacent and he doesnt do enough from play

Hutchy shouldnt be caught for pace. I'd worry more about him commanding the square for high balls to be honest

But hasn't his attitude always been slightly poor? And I don't think he's been really good from play, bar a couple of performances, in years. One of the most overrated players of the last few years in my humble opinion. As a hurler, not a patch on Mullane.

I think Downes has a real touch of class about him. Great first touch, strong, fast, good in the air and gets scores. Nearly has everything to make a top class hurler, give him a few years and I think he'll be the best forward we've produced in a long time.

I really rate him and if Hutchison is not on top form and Downes gets good ball, then he could be our one chance to really open up the defence. He had a great league, probably our best forward especially in the 2nd half of it. And in the league final he was superb, caused panic in the Clare defence every time he got the ball.

I'm scared of Shane Walsh and Mullane though. We've got no proper full-back and Walsh could exploit that. And Mullane is Mullane. Reale is probably too slow to man mark him now so it means Condon will take him. He was our best player throughout the league but he's still inexperienced at Championship level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If Waterford win then its Either Tipperary or Clare in the Munster final on Sun July 10th.

If Waterford Lose Its either Galway,Dublin,Kilkenny or Wexford in Phase 2 of the All Ireland Quilfers on Sat July 2nd (Tall Ships Saturday, could get moved to Sunday July 3rd if Waterford get a home draw or something).

Fireball07 wrote: »
    But hasn't his attitude always been slightly poor? And I don't think he's been really good from play, bar a couple of performances, in years. One of the most overrated players of the last few years in my humble opinion. As a hurler, not a patch on Mullane.

I think Downes has a real touch of class about him. Great first touch, strong, fast, good in the air and gets scores. Nearly has everything to make a top class hurler, give him a few years and I think he'll be the best forward we've produced in a long time.

I really rate him and if Hutchison is not on top form and Downes gets good ball, then he could be our one chance to really open up the defence. He had a great league, probably our best forward especially in the 2nd half of it. And in the league final he was superb, caused panic in the Clare defence every time he got the ball.

I'm scared of Shane Walsh and Mullane though. We've got no proper full-back and Walsh could exploit that. And Mullane is Mullane. Reale is probably too slow to man mark him now so it means Condon will take him. He was our best player throughout the league but he's still inexperienced at Championship level.

Nice ta get a bit of insight.

Well, your right Kelly never had a great attitude, but there was never really a question of him losing his place. Now there is and we all want him to prove his worth because he is talented and he's shown glimpses of it (Munster Final drawn game last year when he scored THAT goal, replay against Limerick in 2009 when he made a marvellous pick up and drilled it over, 2009 against Kilkenny when he pulled first time was unlucky PjcRyan saved it, 2007 League Final when he scored a point the fist half over his shoulder on the touchline off his weaker side). Again your right like, Mullane is sensational, and was worthy of an all star in 2008 ahead of both Kelly and Canning (still pisses me off, he was the top scorer from play in the championship that year).

I saw a fair bit of that league final, missed the first half saw the goal highlights. They gave Condon man of the match so he must have done something right, because that is a very strong Clare forward line. Ye have players I admire like Hickey and O Mahoney. Ye're midfield looked good too. I'd still fancy Moran and Foley to get the better of them. Shane Walsh is on fire as well, 3-14 in 5 games in the league. Could be a good game, we should win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Certain starters for Sunday are

1. Clinton
    2. Fives
    4. Connors
    6. Brick
    8. Foley
    9. Sullivan
    10. Moran
    11. Molumphy
    13. Mullane
    14. Walsh

Think Hutchy has the adv at full back , Ringo too lose , Nagle is not a back , think that Pender and D O Sullivan will get nod eventhough P Mahoney wont be far off it, Tony on bench , Mahoney will prob be at No.12 and B O Sullivan in the corner

Outsider for a start could be Thomas Ryan. Id say he will probably want to start with the most experienced team he can and if things are going well to introduce a couple of the newer lads.

I would bet my savings on Tony Browne starting. He was class in the league, proving again that age is but a number to him. I think Moran will be midifeld. They won't put him in the forwards after last year, might switch him in game if we're struggling.

Tommy Ryan won't start in my view because Fitz doesnt think hes strong enough (which he probably isn't!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Tony done ok in the league , in the last match against offaly all the backs were poor enough except maybe for Brick. Think this would be a good match to give either O Sullivan or Mahoney a start alongside Brick and Pender. Tonys experience if needed could be used towards the end if things were tight.

Would agree about Ryan and his strenght but its his pace and running at defences which he is excellent at provided he gets the right ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement