Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Interesting XV predicted by the News and Star. They're going for Kevin Moran at 7, David O'Sullivan partnering Foley in midfield, Seamus Prendergast and Pauric Mahony at wing-forwards and Molumphy at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Is that Paraic Fanning that writes the hurling in the N&S?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

comeraghs wrote: »

No

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

comeraghs wrote: »

I think its his father Phil!

Nah that XV was put together by Ger Lawton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Daysha wrote: »
    Interesting XV predicted by the News and Star. They're going for Kevin Moran at 7, David O'Sullivan partnering Foley in midfield, Seamus Prendergast and Pauric Mahony at wing-forwards and Molumphy at 15.

I'd like to see what Mansfield has for us in the Observer, he usually has the inside track though he may have been warned against revealing too much after past leaks.

I can't see why Fitzgerald would consistently play Moran at midfield and then move him into the backs. Equally, I don't see David O'Sullivan starting, and I don't see both Mahony and Prendergast starting, but if I was to pick one I'd say he'd go for Mahony. He may name Molumphy at 15, but he won't stay there.

I agree about Tommy Ryans pace, it's frightening. I like him and would like to see him get a chance in the championship, particularly with a three man full forward line where you have Shane Walshs ball winning ability and aerial ability which will give Ryan the opportunity to both receive passes and work off the breaking ball too. But, I don't think Fitzgerald will play him. Selections suggest he won't anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wexford beat KK tonight in the Leinster u-21 championship quarter final. Interesting to see KK's stranglehold on underage in Leinster being well and truly broken

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wexford beat KK tonight in the Leinster u-21 championship quarter final. Interesting to see KK's stranglehold on underage in Leinster being well and truly broken

Kilkenny won the minor in 2008 as well so it really is a coup for Wexford. Hope they go on and win the all-ireland, it would be great for hurling. Of all the teams out there, I'd love to see the re-emergance of Wexford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Tony will definitely start, just as much as Kelly will not start. Have heard Kelly still off the pace in training and just not doing anything to warrant a starting place for Sunday. Paudric Mahony I'd say will start, same with Brian O'Sullivan to get the nod over Tommy Ryan. David O'Sullivan too I've been told is making a good claim for no.7.
    Moran will surely partner Foley in midfield and I highly doubt Seamus will start.

I'm delighted for Wexford fair play to them. When we played KK in a U21 challenge 3 weeks ago in Walsh park, KK were very poor by their standards tbh so it actually doesn't really surprise me they were beaten. Funny that we also beat Wexford U21 comfortably a few weeks ago too in another challenge, it's a pity we lost last Weds! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Cake Man wrote: »
    Tony will definitely start, just as much as Kelly will not start. Have heard Kelly still off the pace in training and just not doing anything to warrant a starting place for Sunday. Paudric Mahony I'd say will start, same with Brian O'Sullivan to get the nod over Tommy Ryan. David O'Sullivan too I've been told is making a good claim for no.7.
    Moran will surely partner Foley in midfield and I highly doubt Seamus will start.

Couldn't disagree with a word of that !

I think Hutchinson will be fine. Watched him manacle Shefflin (what else can you do with class like that?) in Tallow and he made a good enough fist of it.
    Just wonder about Paraic Mahony. Clearly a great prospect - he's been solid all year and hit great frees under pressure but if you take that away what impressed you other than him being solid and not being over-awed by senior inter-county hurling (which is a lot to achieve in year 1!) ? Is it too big a jump to start him ? Have to say I agree with the view on Philip too. Hasn't done enough at this level just yet - but will be a fixture before too long.

Isn't it great to have options ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Hear Davy Fitz is not partaking in RTE boycott over Carthy , wonder is it anything to do with his buddy above in Clare Morrissey not doing so bad out of it.

Jeddah wrote: »
    Hear Davy Fitz is not partaking in RTE boycott over Carthy , wonder is it anything to do with his buddy above in Clare Morrissey not doing so bad out of it.

I thought this was a wind-up when I read it in the papers. I don't like him as a commentator at all "The shot from X and the POINT for Y" seems to accompany every action commentary he has ever done, at 3-5 minute intervals. Maybe a lot of the managers are friendly with him and are being supportive but it just seems to me to be misplaced loyalty...

Look at the other commentators , Morrissey is more worried about setting out the location of the pitch and what stand is where and the lovely green mountains in the background rather than commentating on the match , Canning is definatley by far the worst commentator of any sport in RTE (Maybe tied with Hamiliton) and Daragh Moloney knows feic all about the GAA.

Agree that it shouldnt be the managers that have to take the lead on this but it should be Croke Park HQ.

There is no obligation on them to talk to anyone is there.

No contract , only thing that exists is protocols and understandings

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    There is no obligation on them to talk to anyone is there.
    No contract , only thing that exists is protocols and understandings

I understand that its going into the new contract (if it hasnt already gone in) that someone from the mgt team must give an interview within a reasonable time of the game ending

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

ovalu wrote: »
    some of the comments on here are pretty clueless, Declan Prendergast isn't the worlds most skillfull hurler but he certainly has plenty pace

Are you insane?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Interesting proposal from Tim O' Keeffe - does this have county board backing or is it a solo run?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/call-from-waterford-to-cut-sam-maguire-contenders-by-half-2670078.html

A call to halve the number of counties who compete for the Sam Maguire Cup has emerged from Waterford.
    It comes in the week after the Deise footballers lost to All-Ireland champions Cork by 17 points, but county secretary Tim O'Keeffe insists his proposal has nothing to do with one big defeat.
    "The system has always been flawed. Is there any other sport in the world where the strongest and weakest are thrown in together? If it hasn't worked in the 127-year history of the GAA, it's unlikely to start working now," he said.
    O'Keeffe believes it's illogical to have 33 teams competing for the All-Ireland championship when the vast majority are out of their depth.
    "It doesn't happen in hurling or at club level either," he said. "Donegal won the Lory Meagher Cup but nobody would dream of putting them in against Tipperary next year. No county puts a weak junior club team in against the senior county champions either."
    O'Keeffe advocates a system where 16 to 18 counties compete for the Sam Maguire Cup, with the remainder having their own championship.
    The top 16 to 18 would be decided on league placings for the first season, after which relegation/promotion would apply between the first and second tiers.
    He believes it serves no purpose to have counties competing at a level where they are unlikely to achieve anything.
    "Waterford's first game in the championship was against Cork, the All-Ireland and league winners, so what chance had we?" said O'Keeffe.
    "If we were playing someone from the bottom two divisions we'd be in with a decent chance of making progress.
    "Division 3 and 4 counties should be in a competition they have a chance of winning and, after that, they could take their chance at Sam Maguire level."
    Allowing the top 16/18 only to compete for Sam Maguire would mean the end of the provincial championship as part of the All-Ireland scene, but O'Keeffe argues that the current system isn't serving weaker counties anyway.
    "The strong counties are happy with it because it gives them a chance to have an easy game or two to get ready for the bigger tests ahead," he said.
    "We have to think about what's good for the promotion of football and, as far as I'm concerned, the current system is not working.
    "Hurling is much fairer as there's a tier for every county where they have a chance of doing well."

tonc76 wrote: »
    Interesting proposal from Tim O' Keeffe - does this have county board backing or is it a solo run?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/call-from-waterford-to-cut-sam-maguire-contenders-by-half-2670078.html

A call to halve the number of counties who compete for the Sam Maguire Cup has emerged from Waterford.
    It comes in the week after the Deise footballers lost to All-Ireland champions Cork by 17 points, but county secretary Tim O'Keeffe insists his proposal has nothing to do with one big defeat.
    "The system has always been flawed. Is there any other sport in the world where the strongest and weakest are thrown in together? If it hasn't worked in the 127-year history of the GAA, it's unlikely to start working now," he said.
    O'Keeffe believes it's illogical to have 33 teams competing for the All-Ireland championship when the vast majority are out of their depth.
    "It doesn't happen in hurling or at club level either," he said. "Donegal won the Lory Meagher Cup but nobody would dream of putting them in against Tipperary next year. No county puts a weak junior club team in against the senior county champions either."
    O'Keeffe advocates a system where 16 to 18 counties compete for the Sam Maguire Cup, with the remainder having their own championship.
    The top 16 to 18 would be decided on league placings for the first season, after which relegation/promotion would apply between the first and second tiers.
    He believes it serves no purpose to have counties competing at a level where they are unlikely to achieve anything.
    "Waterford's first game in the championship was against Cork, the All-Ireland and league winners, so what chance had we?" said O'Keeffe.
    "If we were playing someone from the bottom two divisions we'd be in with a decent chance of making progress.
    "Division 3 and 4 counties should be in a competition they have a chance of winning and, after that, they could take their chance at Sam Maguire level."
    Allowing the top 16/18 only to compete for Sam Maguire would mean the end of the provincial championship as part of the All-Ireland scene, but O'Keeffe argues that the current system isn't serving weaker counties anyway.
    "The strong counties are happy with it because it gives them a chance to have an easy game or two to get ready for the bigger tests ahead," he said.
    "We have to think about what's good for the promotion of football and, as far as I'm concerned, the current system is not working.
    "Hurling is much fairer as there's a tier for every county where they have a chance of doing well."

Excellent idea. Timmy has brought up a few ideas while he has been secretary and has been behind some of the other things tried in the county before that, but few listen to him. The idea for example last year about using someplace like Nolan Park for home games in the Munster Championship was a very good one, but there was a few people, mostly around the city area i expect could not see past their nose.

for a few years, the G.A.A. ran the Tommy Murphy Cup and got rid of it almost as quickly as they introduced it. Was it Sean Kelly that brought it in and Nicky Brennan that got rid of it. Maybe if he had a few people in Croke Park with a bit of fore-sight to run the competition right, it could well have been a very good competition.

One of the winners (i think, if they did not win it they were in a final) of the competition was Tipperary. Look what has happened since they have won it. Things are starting to turn for them in football. They put together back to back promotions in the National League. Ok they have dropped back down a division since. They beat Kerry last year in the under 21 football championship and this year beat them in the football championship. Who would have said that this would happen a few years back. Success in the Tommy Murphy Cup encouraged players to keep playing football.

Imagine what could happen if the Competition was still there for Waterford. I know there is two sides to every coin. John Kiely was correct in what he said on the radio on Sunday, when he said its in games like against Cork that players from counties like Waterford want to test themselves. But you have to ask what was got out of a beating like the seniors got on Sunday last. It may have done more damage than good, maybe not right now but in the long term. When a young lad of ten, eleven or twelve sees Waterford getting beatings like that he will ask himself do i want to play football and get beatings like that if i get to play for Waterford in the future. And it is not just at senior that this is happening.

For Waterford to play the likes of Clare, Leitrim, Longford, Wicklow, Carlow etc where they would have a chance of winning something is far more beneficial in the long term than playing the likes of Cork and Kerry and getting a hammering. You have to think of the players coming through just as much as the players playing right now.

What will happen now in the qualifiers. There is already a number of very good teams knocked out of the provincial championships. The Likes of Laois and Meath are in the first round of the qualifiers. What if they avoid each other in the first round of draws. you would expect them both to qualify for round two, where they could play Waterford. What if then Waterford get a beating from one of them like what Cork gave us. Where would that leave us.

Waterford playing in a secondary football competition makes sense. People could do a lot worse than listen to what the Clashmore man suggests and to take time to think out the pro's and cons of what he might be saying.

I think Timmy is finally startin to realise that playing football in this county is a waste of time and money. With last weeks result i think the time has come to scrap football in this county altogether or else maybe play it between the months of november and february.

• Advertisement

I think Timmy is finally startin to realise that playing football in this county is a waste of time and money. With last weeks result i think the time has come to scrap football in this county altogether or else maybe play it between the months of november and february.

B.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

You do realise he played intercounty football, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Thats an atrocious attitude. Its not like its Cavan hurling where there is only a few clubs playing. At underage and club level most teams play football and take it seriously. Its the county sides where the problems are. The onus to improve that situation lays with the county board. There has been some improvements in the last few years e.g promotion to division 3 but they are capable of so much more. We should be aiming to compete with the Cork and Kerrys in the long term. There is talent there and it can be done. Just a few years back Waterford won a Munster u21 beating both cork and a Kerry team in the final which included Gooch Cooper. How many of that winning team started last Sunday? One I think.
    One of the stars of that team was brick walsh. Also shane walsh who hit the winning goal. The county board should encourage dual players to keep playing football for the county. If Cork can do it with Cadogen etc why cant waterford?
    The only real way of improving is commitment from the county board. I agree with the proposal of maybe putting the Munster championship on ice for a few years and doing the 2 tier system and see what progress can be made. And then maybe go back in a few years if we are capable of competing with Cork and kerry. However, I think there would be too much objections from counties in the other provinces for to happen, realistically. Waterford football will remain stuck in limbo for a long time to come I fear, until a number of people are willing to change their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The Sci3ntist

I heard that this is going to be the team for Sunday but the information's only 4th hand so I don't know how reliable it is.

1. Clinton
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. Tony
    6. Brick
    7. Nagle
    8. Moran
    9. Foley
    10. Molumphy
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Mahony
    13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

If this is going to be the team, there's no real surprises in it.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Thats an atrocious attitude. Its not like its Cavan hurling where there is only a few clubs playing. At underage and club level most teams play football and take it seriously. Its the county sides where the problems are. The onus to improve that situation lays with the county board. There has been some improvements in the last few years e.g promotion to division 3 but they are capable of so much more. We should be aiming to compete with the Cork and Kerrys in the long term. There is talent there and it can be done. Just a few years back Waterford won a Munster u21 beating both cork and a Kerry team in the final which included Gooch Cooper. How many of that winning team started last Sunday? One I think.
    One of the stars of that team was brick walsh. Also shane walsh who hit the winning goal. The county board should encourage dual players to keep playing football for the county. If Cork can do it with Cadogen etc why cant waterford?
    The only real way of improving is commitment from the county board. I agree with the proposal of maybe putting the Munster championship on ice for a few years and doing the 2 tier system and see what progress can be made. And then maybe go back in a few years if we are capable of competing with Cork and kerry. However, I think there would be too much objections from counties in the other provinces for to happen, realistically. Waterford football will remain stuck in limbo for a long time to come I fear, until a number of people are willing to change their ways.

The biggest problem might be those that are put in charge of hurling teams. I have said this in the past and will say it again, I personally saw two underage hurling selectors a few years ago, drive into an underage football training section with two cars, take i think it was five players off the field and drove them to a training session at the other end of the county, the end that they had travelled from.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

You're almost right. You have 14 out of 15.

I heard that this is going to be the team for Sunday but the information's only 4th hand so I don't know how reliable it is.

1. Clinton
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. Tony
    6. Brick
    7. Nagle
    8. Moran
    9. Foley
    10. Molumphy
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Mahony
    13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

1. Clinton
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. Tony
    6. Brick
    7. Nagle
    8. Moran
    9. Foley
    10. Molumphy
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Mahony
    13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

The team I've heard was:

1. Clinton
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. Tony
    6. Brick
    7. Moran
    8. Molumphy
    9. Foley
    10. Maurice
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Paudric Mahony
    13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

If it does line out that way, I'd be well pleased with it. On paper at least, very strong half back line of Tony-Brick-Moran. Molumphy back to where he plays best. I suppose we'll find out later on tonight (assuming they don't leave it until Sunday morning).

Cake Man wrote: »
    The team I've heard was:

1. Clinton
    2. Fives
    3. Hutchinson
    4. Connors
    5. Tony
    6. Brick
    7. Moran
    8. Molumphy
    9. Foley
    10. Maurice
    11. Shane O'Sullivan
    12. Paudric Mahony
    13. Mullane
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Brian O'Sullivan

If it does line out that way, I'd be well pleased with it. On paper at least, very strong half back line of Tony-Brick-Moran. Molumphy back to where he plays best. I suppose we'll find out later on tonight (assuming they don't leave it until Sunday morning).

Have heard 14 of that team. Heard Seamus Pender was 12.

Was there anything like this set up with the sponsorship deal Waterford have. If not anyone know why. Heard that there is something similar with 3 and Waterford United.

Cork county clubs benefit thanks to their own supporters

Cork, Thursday 9th June, 2011: Cork GAA and O2 are delighted to announce the total generated from O2 Engage, the affinity scheme which gave Cork GAA supporters the opportunity to donate 5% of their monthly mobile phone spend to the club of their choice during the past twelve months. Over €52,000 was generated for clubs throughout the county since launch.

The monies raised will allow clubs such Graham Canty’s Bantry Blues and Shane O’Neill’s Bishopstown support their ongoing needs, all thanks to their own club members and supporters. Thousands of people joined O2 Engage throughout the year which meant that 5% of the cost of their rental, voice and text or top up each month was automatically donated to the club of their choice, at no cost to themselves. Following on from O2’s award winning Be The Difference campaign which allowed rebel fans to give their support to the Cork teams, O2 Engage has shown yet again the passion supporters bring to the GAA in Cork.

Speaking at a function to announce the amount being given to Cork’s clubs, O2’s Marketing Director Jonnie Cahill said: “O2 is delighted to have helped realise these funds for the clubs of Cork. Committed to Cork GAA as a sponsor since 1999, we were keen to support the clubs of the county in a way that directly affects the work being done at grassroots level. Looking at the younger generation already in place in both senior panels this year, this work is thriving, and is a necessary component of Corks’ successes”.

Cork County Board Chairman Jerry O’Sullivan said: “O2 has been a valuable partner of Cumann Luthchleas Gael Corcaigh for a number of years. We are delighted to see the clubs of the county benefit, both from O2 and from their own supporters. The clubs are the lifeblood of everything we do, and these funds will prove useful across the county as we continue through the year.

Limerick team named:

Quaid
    Reale
    Hickey
    Condon
    McNamara
    Geary
    O'Mahony(C)
    O'Grady
    Browne
    Ryan
    McCarthy
    Moran
    Tobin
    Downes
    Mulcahy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Don't be surprised to see Eoin Kelly play some part on Sunday a great player when he is on form , I hope all this talk about him is just that. Cork has a population four times greater than Waterford so its easy to be successful at both codes. It was terrible to see our footballers ship such a big beating last Sunday we have some great players, I remember back in 82 and 83 when our hurlers suffered bigger beatings at the hands of Cork, not any more though. It is up to the county board to try and improve standards, they sacked Jackson and put John Owens in his place ,some improvement there. This is a hurling county first but there are many who love football here also. How did Offaly do it in the 80s is the question we should be looking at. I hope our hurlers win on Sunday or we will start thinking lets concentrate on football, only joking how come that never happens, even after 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Was there anything like this set up with the sponsorship deal Waterford have. If not anyone know why. Heard that there is something similar with 3 and Waterford United.

Cork county clubs benefit thanks to their own supporters

Cork, Thursday 9th June, 2011: Cork GAA and O2 are delighted to announce the total generated from O2 Engage, the affinity scheme which gave Cork GAA supporters the opportunity to donate 5% of their monthly mobile phone spend to the club of their choice during the past twelve months. Over €52,000 was generated for clubs throughout the county since launch.

The monies raised will allow clubs such Graham Canty’s Bantry Blues and Shane O’Neill’s Bishopstown support their ongoing needs, all thanks to their own club members and supporters. Thousands of people joined O2 Engage throughout the year which meant that 5% of the cost of their rental, voice and text or top up each month was automatically donated to the club of their choice, at no cost to themselves. Following on from O2’s award winning Be The Difference campaign which allowed rebel fans to give their support to the Cork teams, O2 Engage has shown yet again the passion supporters bring to the GAA in Cork.

Speaking at a function to announce the amount being given to Cork’s clubs, O2’s Marketing Director Jonnie Cahill said: “O2 is delighted to have helped realise these funds for the clubs of Cork. Committed to Cork GAA as a sponsor since 1999, we were keen to support the clubs of the county in a way that directly affects the work being done at grassroots level. Looking at the younger generation already in place in both senior panels this year, this work is thriving, and is a necessary component of Corks’ successes”.

Cork County Board Chairman Jerry O’Sullivan said: “O2 has been a valuable partner of Cumann Luthchleas Gael Corcaigh for a number of years. We are delighted to see the clubs of the county benefit, both from O2 and from their own supporters. The clubs are the lifeblood of everything we do, and these funds will prove useful across the county as we continue through the year.
    Sounds like a good idea. I never heard of any deal like that for 3 customers. When was that O2 deal announced? I'm sure 3 will get wind of it anyway, but I know a man who knows a man so to speak, so might send this on to him and he might be able to send on to the main man in 3, who is a Waterford man himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Yes, that's the clear implication of what he said :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paddyman123

Have heard 14 of that team. Heard Seamus Pender was 12.

ClubDeise Text,
    Team for Sunday against Limerick as follows:

1 Hennessy
    2 D Fives
    3 Huchinson
    4 Connors
    5 Browne
    6 Brick
    7 Moran
    8 S O'Sullivan
    9 Foley
    10 M Shanahan
    11 Molumphy
    12 P Mahony
    13 Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 Brian O'Sullivan

Lookin good to me, Up the Deise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

Can definitely see a few swaps at throw in

caeser wrote: »
    Can definitely see a few swaps at throw in

Such as?

I think Molumphy and Shane O'Sullivan will swap...kinda. O'Sullivan will be a withdrawn centre forward, like he was against Galway and they'll look to play the ball in front of him and get him to deliver it into the forwards playing further up the field.

The problem with football is underage. As someone mentioned, we beat Kerry in 2003, but that was the height of it. Key players from that team stopped playing. Brick and Shane Walsh both went playing hurling, though Shane played for a few years, Eddie Rockett I see lined out for the juniors last weekend, Niall Hennessey came back last year I believe for the first time in several years, probably because he lost interest. Brian O Halloran is probably the best footballing prospect that we had but he's playing hurling. That's all fair enough, that these guys want to play hurling but I think the main reason some of them do is because the hurlers are better treated, have better prospects, are trained better etc. The fact that these guys have come through on poor teams suggests that a bit of planning, time and work at underage could reap dividends and Waterford teams would not be sneered at by other teams.

By the way, it's important to note taht their are talented players on the senior team at present, and all but in a big effort. The likes of Cork are in a league of their own, bu they didn't get their buy sitting back and one day noticing the suprising emergance of promising young players. They worked at it at underage.

No question but that Hurling gets far greater respect in this County. We only need to take the example of our near neighbours Tipp and we might make some progress. They have fierce teams coming through at undrage in football. In about 6 years time I reckon they'll be a force in both hurling and football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Anyone disappointed to see Moran down for wing back instead of midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Anyone disappointed to see Moran down for wing back instead of midfield?

I'm pretty happy with him at wing back. Think he is better there than midfield. Foley and Molumphy (in all likelihood) is a pretty good midfield

I'm happy enough with Moran wing back, makes for a solid line with himself, Brick and Tony. The only swap will be Sully with Molumphy, we all know that'll happen. I have confidence the two boys making their debuts in the forwards, Mahony and O'Sullivan, will do well. I feel the Limerick backs will be putting a lot of concentration and effort to shackle Mullane and hopefully this might give Walsh and O'Sullivan chances to slip in and do damage.

• Advertisement

Guys I've done up a preview on the game on a new blog I've just got up and running if ye want to take a look: http://waterfordgaa.wordpress.com/. Haven't written properly in a few years so excuse the rustiness and probable errors if you come across them :o.

Really starting to get excited about this now. This time last year I was watching the Clare game via skype in a San Francisco apartment so just being back a Championship game at Thurles is enough to look forward to, even if the weather is basically predicting the apocalypse to arrive by 4pm.

Deise Abu!

Daysha wrote: »
    Guys I've done up a preview on the game on a new blog I've just got up and running if ye want to take a look: http://waterfordgaa.wordpress.com/. Haven't written properly in a few years so excuse the rustiness and probable errors if you come across them :o.

Really starting to get excited about this now. This time last year I was watching the Clare game via skype in a San Francisco apartment so just being back a Championship game at Thurles is enough to look forward to, even if the weather is basically predicting the apocalypse to arrive by 4pm.

Deise Abu!

Similarily i was listening to the Clare game on the radio in Cincinnati an hour before an end of year exam! All these blogs are great, this is the fourth one now is i'm not mistaken after mossys, deiseachs and someone elses. Great work lads, keep it up for us to lazy to write one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Hopefully it will be a good weekend, Waterford beat Limerick and Wexford beat Kilkenny.

deisedude wrote: »
    Similarily i was listening to the Clare game on the radio in Cincinnati an hour before an end of year exam! All these blogs are great, this is the fourth one now is i'm not mistaken after mossys, deiseachs and someone elses. Great work lads, keep it up for us to lazy to write one!
    The 'someone else' is http://deisegaa.blogspot.com who has resumed posting recently after a few months out. It's great to have other people doing it, hopefully we'll bounce off each other. However, the original is surely the best. Right? :D

Oh, and if any of ye boys get the bright idea of cogging the match reports of Giveitfong, forget it - I've got there first!

deiseach wrote: »
    The 'someone else' is http://deisegaa.blogspot.com who has resumed posting recently after a few months out. It's great to have other people doing it, hopefully we'll bounce off each other. However, the original is surely the best. Right? :D

To quote Father Ted "They all have lovely bottoms":D It would be great if we had one website that linked to this thread, all the blogs, waterford gaa twitter feeds and other forums of interest and websites pertaining to all things Waterford hurling

• Advertisement

Have to say I am getting a little edgy. Limerick are an unknown quantity. Either they will be blown away by our experience and Division 1 intensity or they will reveal themselves to be a team of genuine contenders and take the game to us. Not having seen them play at this level (which could be telling) it's hard to know what they will do. I am not concerned about our preparation - there is no way we are taking this lightly. Anyone else feeling the same ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a bad feeling about this. Anyone actually going to the game, the demand has been terrible and then the weather is not helping. Im off in a while to Thurles hopefully the weather mite dry up a bit.

I have a fear Donal O Grady will out smart Davy, he did it to Justin in 2003. Donal is a shrud man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

egpower wrote: »
    Limerick are an unknown quantity. Either they will be blown away by our experience and Division 1 intensity or they will reveal themselves to be a team of genuine contenders and take the game to us.

Pretty much sums it up... well put!

Still raining here in the Déise, but Met Éireann's weather radar is showing Cork and Kerry already clear, so it's looking now as though it will be dry up in Thurles, although it's hard to know whether the pitch will be greasy or not. Hopefully not - there has been a lot of rain, but equally it's been very dry up to now.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a bad feeling about this. Anyone actually going to the game, the demand has been terrible and then the weatheis not helping. Im off in a while to Thurles hopefully the weather mite dry up a bit.

I have a fear Donal O Grady will out smart Davy, he did it to Justin in 2003. Donal is a shrud man

No offence man, but i cant remember a time when you ever had a positive feeling going into a game.

fricatus wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up... well put!

Still raining here in the Déise, but Met Éireann's weather radar is showing Cork and Kerry already clear, so it's looking now as though it will be dry up in Thurles, although it's hard to know whether the pitch will be greasy or not. Hopefully not - there has been a lot of rain, but equally it's been very dry up to now.

im up in the freshford area - here for a function last night and heading onto thurles shortly, no sign of anything clearing but your post is giving me hope.

The team has gotta.be well prepared for today, its a well sign posted ambush waiting to happen so lack of preparation cant be be used later as an excuse. waterford to win after a close first 55 mins or so

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement