Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I don't blame Davy for asking, I blame the County Board for agreeing. At the moment I'm planning holidays and trying to keep any dates Waterford might be playing free. Imagine doing the same at the start of the summer for your club only to be told that no, ye're not going to playing that weekend after all and will have to find the time later on in the summer. I can see lots of sporty types throwing their hat at it and playing soccer instead, and you couldn't blame them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deiseach wrote: »
    I don't blame Davy for asking, I blame the County Board for agreeing. At the moment I'm planning holidays and trying to keep any dates Waterford might be playing free. Imagine doing the same at the start of the summer for your club only to be told that no, ye're not going to playing that weekend after all and will have to find the time later on in the summer. I can see lots of sporty types throwing their hat at it and playing soccer instead, and you couldn't blame them

It was reported last week that Davy and the selectors had asked at the County Board meeting to have next weeks games called off, but were rightly refused. When they did not get what they wanted, it appears a second letter was wrote and a number of players were asked to approach the county board and plead with them to call off the games. This to me is Davy acting a proper baby, throwing their rattle out of their pram till they get what they want.

I can see this happening again in the future unless the board, which is the officers and the clubs stand up and be counted for. To be fair to the clubs this time they made their decision but for some reason was not abided with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Deise Tom wrote: »
    It was reported last week that Davy and the selectors had asked at the County Board meeting to have next weeks games called off, but were rightly refused. When they did not get what they wanted, it appears a second letter was wrote and a number of players were asked to approach the county board and plead with them to call off the games. This to me is Davy acting a proper baby, throwing their rattle out of their pram till they get what they want.

I can see this happening again in the future unless the board, which is the officers and the clubs stand up and be counted for. To be fair to the clubs this time they made their decision but for some reason was not abided with.

Davy Fitz is doing what he thinks is best for Waterford hurlers, which is his job. It is the County Board's job to look out for the overall interests of Waterford GAA, including the club footballers, not Davy's. You should be criticising them for folding on their previous decision not Davy. His job is not to look out for the interests of club footballers in Waterford. But the opportunity to have a cut at him is too easy for you to resist, as per usual.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

PTH2009 wrote: »

interesting that link specifies the following sunday as the replay date if needed.
    none of this saturday night nonsense from last year.
    think waterford will be doing well to come near to getting a draw though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

there is a risk that we will have no team in the Munster Club Championships .

i agree that the county board should have held firm on this one. however, as per your own post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70139359&postcount=2472 - the waterford senior hurling champions are playing munster championship on the 30th of october (19 weeks away); and the waterford senior football champions are playing munster championship on the 6th of november (20 weeks away). no need to worry too much just yet.

My Team for final would be

1 A Power (For his puck outs, shot stopping)

2 D Fives
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 D Prendergast
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran

8 S Molumphy
    9 R Foley

10 P Mahony
    11 S O Sullivan
    12 E Kelly

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 B O Sullivan

Tony Browne could be danger of getting a roasting off the Tipp half forward line and should come on as a sub. IF Eoin Murphy is back training he should also come on a sub

flahavaj wrote: »
    Davy Fitz is doing what he thinks is best for Waterford hurlers, which is his job. It is the County Board's job to look out for the overall interests of Waterford GAA, including the club footballers, not Davy's. You should be criticising them for folding on their previous decision not Davy. His job is not to look out for the interests of club footballers in Waterford. But the opportunity to have a cut at him is too easy for you to resist, as per usual.:rolleyes:

Its Davy's fault the weather is bad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Lads, should we lose the Munster final - perish the thought - when would we be playing next? gaainfo has the game down for Saturday 23/7 but the Indo has it on Sunday 24/7.

Lads, should we lose the Munster final - perish the thought - when would we be playing next? gaainfo has the game down for Saturday 23/7 but the Indo has it on Sunday 24/7.

Id say it will be the Sunday 24th July. Double Header in Thurles or Croke Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

2 D Fives
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 D Prendergast
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran

8 S Molumphy
    9 R Foley

10 P Mahony
    11 S O Sullivan
    12 E Kelly

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 B O Sullivan

Tony Browne could be danger of getting a roasting off the Tipp half forward line and should come on as a sub. IF Eoin Murphy is back training he should also come on a sub

Kind of worried without having Brick full back, we'll leak goals against Tip. A shame to not have him around No6/No8, but we have no one good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Et Cetera wrote: »
    Kind of worried without having Brick full back, we'll leak goals against Tip. A shame to not have him around No6/No8, but we have no one good enough

The danger was not in the full back line yesterday. The gap was in the half backline, exploited by Bonner Maher and Lar. Better to have Brick around there than in FB. Not sure Tony still has 70 minutes but not sure Declan is the answer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Lads I'm working until 1pm the day of the Munster final. Presume it'll still be doable to get to Pairc ui Chaoimh in time yeah? Will be coming from the city.

Its the 24th. The quarter finals are usually a double hearder, aren't they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Daysha wrote: »
    Lads I'm working until 1pm the day of the Munster final. Presume it'll still be doable to get to Pairc ui Chaoimh in time yeah? Will be coming from the city.

Its goin to be on in thurles daysha

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Its goin to be on in thurles daysha

Really?

Yeah Waterford County Board have approached tipp with an offer to hold the game in thurles for a considerable financial exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Yeah Waterford County Board have approached tipp with an offer to hold the game in thurles for a considerable financial exchange

Everyone would be a winner!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I hope it is in Thurles... But tickets will be printed soon so there wont be much time to put the idea forward ot the Munster Council will there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

2 D Fives
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 D Prendergast
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran

8 S Molumphy
    9 R Foley

10 P Mahony
    11 S O Sullivan
    12 E Kelly

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 B O Sullivan

Prendergast better than Tony? Come on in fairness.

Tipp half forward line has seriously undergone a transformation. The one interesting thing about yesterday was Noel McGrath was poor. I think Ringo should be in the halfback line, either instead of Tony or else putting Moran in midfield and maybe moving Foley into the half forward line.

The team I think will start for the Munster Final;

1 C Hennessey

2 D Fives
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 T Browne
    6 M Walsh
    7 K Moran

8 S Molumphy
    9 R Foley

10 P Mahony
    11 S O Sullivan
    12 M Shanahan

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 B O Sullivan

It's hard to see anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'd probably go along with that team Mountainlad put up. Still question marks over Kelly but we'll badly need players in the half forward line that will have to put in a shift and at least try minimise the Tipp half back line's dominance on the game.
    It's hard to see Tipp not scoring at least 2 or 3 goals so I think we'll need a few ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'd probably go along with that team Mountainlad put up. Still question marks over Kelly but we'll badly need players in the half forward line that will have to put in a shift and at least try minimise the Tipp half back line's dominance on the game.
    It's hard to see Tipp not scoring at least 2 or 3 goals so I think we'll need a few ourselves.
    But will Waterford get any though?

STIG83 wrote: »
    But will Waterford get any though?

No, we're going to lose by 100 points and then the world will end!

No, we're going to lose by 100 points and then the world will end!

Im hoping to god that Waterford wont get a severe hammering from Tipp, could be a draw, lose the game by a couple of points or Waterford win!!

Im hoping to god that Waterford wont get a severe hammering from Tipp, could be a draw, lose the game by a couple of points or Waterford win!!

That's a fair range of possibilities :D

I don't think we're going to get hammered but it could be like 2009.

• Advertisement

That's a fair range of possibilities :D

I don't think we're going to get hammered but it could be like 2009.

Or the AI Final 2008, i have a fear of that kind of beating happening to Waterford again by Tipp, they were ruthless at times against Clare yesterday, Lar Corbett cant be getting the space he got yesterday!! He will punish any team when he goes on a run to goal.

Money might be needed before the year is out.

deise_girl wrote: »
    I hope it is in Thurles... But tickets will be printed soon so there wont be much time to put the idea forward ot the Munster Council will there?

Its in Cork, has been fixed there with a while, was talking to a fellow involved in the arrangements a few times in the past week.

Money might be needed before the year is out.

So more money is going to spent by the County Board? And they supposed to be having money problems? :confused:
    Anyone have any idea how much money is involved to have the game in Thurles?

So more money is going to spent by the County Board? And they supposed to be having money problems? :confused:
    Anyone have any idea how much money is involved to have the game in Thurles?

• Advertisement

Madness to just change from venue to another!!

Would Tipp not be paying Waterford?

Or the AI Final 2008, i have a fear of that kind of beating happening to Waterford again by Tipp, they were ruthless at times against Clare yesterday, Lar Corbett cant be getting the space he got yesterday!! He will punish any team when he goes on a run to goal.

Yeah, at the same time you have to remember it was Division 2 opposition. I know we were lucky to beat Limerick but they bet Clare and were riding the crest of a wave. Clare didn't have the same cause for optimism, and thought they played quite well first half they faded completely second half.

Tipp will not hammer us (10 points or more), don't be worrying about that.

Would Tipp not be paying Waterford?

Really?

Its in Cork, has been fixed there with a while, was talking to a fellow involved in the arrangements a few times in the past week.

why were they planning when we didnt know the finalists untill yesterday??

And €100,000 is more than double what Tipp are compensating Waterford with, its a done deal just needs to be cleared with the munster council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

why were they planning when we didnt know the finalists untill yesterday??

And €100,000 is more than double what Tipp are compensating Waterford with, its a done deal just needs to be cleared with the munster council

Well they knew it was going to be two of three teams and neither of them would be Cork so I can see how they could plan it but I really hope you're right about it being changed to Thurles.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Well they knew it was going to be two of three teams and neither of them would be Cork so I can see how they could plan it but I really hope you're right about it being changed to Thurles.

not correct, they announced last tuesday if Clare beat Tipp the final would be in Thurles

Yeah, at the same time you have to remember it was Division 2 opposition. I know we were lucky to beat Limerick but they bet Clare and were riding the crest of a wave. Clare didn't have the same cause for optimism, and thought they played quite well first half they faded completely second half.

Tipp will not hammer us (10 points or more), don't be worrying about that.

The Division two thing with Limerick makes me laugh. They only played in division two this year because of what happened in Limerick in 2010, when they had was in effect a third team even if it was a third team in the league, and after that in the championship. Its probably fair to say that they played there this year as a division one team. They were always going to come out of that division this year.

nkay1985 wrote: »

The Munster Final is in Cork, barring that the Munster Council switch it at a late stage, something Frank Murphy and co in Cork will not be happy about if it was.

The Division two thing with Limerick makes me laugh. They only played in division two this year because of what happened in Limerick in 2010, when they had was in effect a third team even if it was a third team in the league, and after that in the championship. Its probably fair to say that they played there this year as a division one team. They were always going to come out of that division this year.

Really? I seem to remember them been very fortunate to win in Ennis and they were certainly not ''always going to come out of that division''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

The Munster Final is in Cork, barring that the Munster Council switch it at a late stage, something Frank Murphy and co in Cork will not be happy about if it was.

Ya, thought all that home and away craic was done away with. Much prefer it be in cork anyway. I think it would suit us more than Tipp

I think people's problem with having the Munster Final in Cork is getting there, i said in an earlier post it's a lot easier to get to Cork now since Youghal Bypass was built.
    If it does go ahead in Cork, just put up with it for a day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think people's problem with having the Munster Final in Cork is getting there, i said in an earlier post it's a lot easier to get to Cork now since Youghal Bypass was built.
    If it does go ahead in Cork, just put up with it for a day!!

Getting to Cork has never been a problem, it's getting out of Cork after a game in Páirc Uí Caoimh. Nightmare.

In some respects a change of scenery would be nice. We've only played 1 Munster Championship game outside Thurles in the last 5 years. It'd just be nice if that scenery wasn't a complete dump and took 4 hours to get away from it when it's over.

deisedude wrote: »
    Ya, thought all that home and away craic was done away with. Much prefer it be in cork anyway. I think it would suit us more than Tipp

The only time there is a home and away arrangement in the Munster hurling final from now on according to some law made by the Munster Council earlier this year or the end of last year is if Limerick, Cork or Tipperary were playing each other. Of course this could change next year when Kerry come back into the Munster Championship. I know, its unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gradster1

waterford minor team v limerick as follows, paddy cooke, jamie barron, damien ahearne, colin walsh, stephen o neil, shane roche, ray barry, shane mc nulty, gavin o brien, jake dillon, adam o sullivan, cein chester, darragh flynn stephen bennet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gradster1

i left out darren foley centre back

Gradster1 wrote: »
    waterford minor team v limerick as follows, paddy cooke, jamie barron, damien ahearne, colin walsh, stephen o neil, shane roche, ray barry, shane mc nulty, gavin o brien, jake dillon, adam o sullivan, cein chester, darragh flynn stephen bennet

Two changes to the team v Tipp, Gavin O'Brien and Shane McNulty come in for Jim Power and Chris Kervick. A few positional changes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Chris Kervick was the captain for the Tipp game, wonder who will be captain on Saturday now that he's not starting. Good to see Gavin O'Brien back, he played well for Roanmore yesterday in senior championship against Dungarvan. Best of luck to the lads,would be great for another minor/senior double for the third year running.

• Advertisement

Wayne Hutchinson has just said on Twitter he's out of the final. Waiting for more info...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement