Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Cake Man wrote: »
    Was wondering if Hannon was going to be playing. Yer man Shane Dowling is another who's meant to be decent, is he underage?

Limerick Minor Hurling Waterford

Name Club

1. Pj Hall Adare
    2. Shane Irwin Bruff
    3. Barry O Connell Kildimo
    4. Brian Murphy Fedamore
    5. Liam Ryan Doon
    6. Ciaran Keogh Na Piarsaigh
    7. Barry Lynch Feohanagh/Castlemahon
    8. Dan Morrissey Ahane
    9. Diarmuid Dee Mungret
    10. David Reidy Dromin/Athlacca
    11. Shane Dowling Na Piarsaigh
    12. Mark Carmody Patrickswell
    13. Kevin O' Brien Patrickswell
    14. Mike Fitzgibbon Feohanagh/Castlemahon
    15. Jack Aherne Kileedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Wouldn't know much of that Limerick team tbh but I'm sure a few were part of the Ard Scoil Ris Harty team this year.

Makes for a good game, the weather is meant to be grand for tomorrow evening I think. Cracking I'm going to miss it but if it's live on WLR I'll take it. Scant consolation however.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Its pouring rain this evening hope it dries up for tomorrow evening or Walsh Park will be like a bog. The news I'm hearing is that Limerick are favorite to progress to the Munster Final. I think its a 50 50 game with home venue giving us a slight advantage. Both teams look very impressive which is great for the future for both counties I'll be heading down to my home town for this one and I'm really looking forward to it, Come on the baby Deise.

It does look good for both teams, but carrying success at underage level into senior is a total different matter. Galway always have good underage teams but they have a major problem bringing it forward to adult level. Maybe it might have been made a little easier for them if a few years back had Gort Community School been allowed into the Harty Cup when they tried to get involved. They would have more tougher games which would have brought on the players more.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Heard Brick Walsh is being used as full back in training for Waterford this week. A sign of things to come for the Munster final?
    if he plays at full back then were ****ed only one place for him against tipp thats midfield you need someone serious there put stoppers on shane mc grath /prob brendan maher of course brick won ball at full back against limerick sure he would win ball no matter what all that happened against limerick was he put brick in full back and invited the whole limerick team onto us so ill put this 2 ye my team for final is A.Power.D Fives.L.Lawlor.N.Connors.R.Foley.K.Moran.J.Nagle.BRICK.S.Molumphy.P.Mahoney.S.O.Sullivan.E.Kelly.B.O.Sullivan.S.Walsh.J.Mullane now *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody tell me what time the game is on trying to stay off the beer for the weekend and how much is a ticket for the game usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Looks like the winners of tomorrow night will be playing Clare who had a fantastic win over Tipp in Thurles

if he plays at full back then were ****ed only one place for him against tipp thats midfield you need someone serious there put stoppers on shane mc grath /prob brendan maher of course brick won ball at full back against limerick sure he would win ball no matter what all that happened against limerick was he put brick in full back and invited the whole limerick team onto us so ill put this 2 ye my team for final is A.Power.D Fives.L.Lawlor.N.Connors.R.Foley.K.Moran.J.Nagle.BRICK.S.Molumphy.P.Mahoney.S.O.Sullivan.E.Kelly.B.O.Sullivan.S.Walsh.J.Mullane now *

I would say Centre Forward.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody tell me what time the game is on trying to stay off the beer for the weekend and how much is a ticket for the game usually.

Dont you pay at the turn styles. Walsh Park will hardly have its capacity tested.

The draw for the second round of the GAA All-Ireland Football championship qualifiers will take place on Sunday evening next after the Connacht semi-final at McHale Park. It will be broadcast on RTÉ's Sunday Game programme shortly after 6pm and posted on www.gaa.ie afterwards.

The format will be as follows:

2nd Round Football
    Three Bowls

Bowl A - Each of the eight teams defeated in the Provincial Semi-Finals
    Leitrim, Galway/Mayo, Waterford, Limerick, Armagh, Donegal/Tyrone, Dublin/Kildare, Carlow/Wexford

Bowl B - Eight Round 1 Winners

Bowl C– Venues; First Team Drawn (from Bowl C) shall have home venue.

Bowl A

Limerick
    Waterford
    Leitrim
    Galway/Mayo
    Derry/Amagh
    Donegal/Tyrone
    Dublin/Kildare
    Carlow/Wexford.

Bowl B

Sligo/Wicklow
    Offaly/Monaghan
    Louth/Meath
    Antrim/Westmeath
    Fermanagh/London
    Cavan/Longford
    Laois/Tipperary
    Clare/Down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Dont you pay at the turn styles. Walsh Park will hardly have its capacity tested.

I'd say there will be a good crowd there all the same! There was last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

will W.L.R be broadcasting it live

Hslaw wrote: »
    will W.L.R be broadcasting it live

I think so.

M'on the Deise!

It is on Wlr
    should be a good game H'on the Deise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

cracking weather for it now and a nice crowd building here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

KevIRL wrote: »
    cracking weather for it now and a nice crowd building here

Decent crowd from Limerick?? Couldn't go myself.

v good first half. wat 3-7 lim 1-4.

great game it had everything in it Hon the deise

get some payback this year after clare beat us last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

final score?

• Advertisement

we won by 6 points 4 17 to 3 14 i think that was the final score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

we won by 6 points 4 17 to 3 14 i think that was the final score

5 points in the end, I think.

Fair play to ye, held out well in extra time.

it was a great game

Just back fro mthe game, what an absolute cracker. The early goals flattered us but we let Limerick back into it softly. The Limerick goal came after a great save but ultimately was clumsy. In the second half the Limerick half back line were completely on top until the introduction of Cormac Heffernan. From about 5 mins before HT until 10 mins to go I think the score for that period was 2-7 to 0-1 in favour of Limerick. With the introduction of Heffernan however Waterford began to get a foothold and Jake Dillon also began upping his game, Waterford fought back from 3 points down to force a draw, but could have won it in normal time as well.

Normally when a team has been behind by 13 points at any stage in a match and get to extra time they have the momentum and advantage going into the additional period, however I felt that this time was a bit different, Limerick had to chase so hard they were bound to be tired, and remarkably it was Waterford who had to force extra time. Thankfully I was right, Waterford remained on top for the 20 mins of extra time, winning that first half of ET by 0-5 to 0-0. With 5 mins to go however a cracking save from the Waterford keeper which in truth was the game clincher.

Mentions for Stephen Bennet, Darragh Flynn, Jake Dillon, Jamie Barron, Paddy Cooke and supersub Cormac Heffernan who were all good for Waterford. Limerick's Shane Dowling was an absolute colossus.

But hats off to all concerned for an outstanding evenings entertainment. Its a pity for Limerick that they get no 2nd chance despite this being their first loss, not really fair considering both Tipp and Cork for a second chance. Something that should be looked at for next years minor championship I feel.

Seniors and Minors in a Munster final for the third year in a row. We live in good times.

*Sorry for the rambling nature of this report, just a brain dump really

A good match report courtesy of sportsnewsireland

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/waterford-outlast-limerick-in-munster-minor-semi-final/
    Waterford won a thrilling encounter with Limerick by 4-17 to 3-15 in the semi final of the minor Munster hurling championship. A hat trick from Steve Bennett was crucial for the Deise, who needed extra time to see off their rivals.

Waterford made an electric start to the match, scoring 3-3 in a hectic first ten minutes. Steve Bennett scored two goals for the Deise, as they threatened to run away with the match.

Limerick struggled to make an impression on the scoreboard for the majority of the first half, scoring a mere three points in the opening 27 minutes. Two minutes before half time, however, Limerick forward Kevin O’Brien followed up a blocked shot and smashed the sliotar into the back of the Waterford net. Shane Dowling added a late free from 21 yards out to reduce the Waterford lead to 3-7 to 1-4 at the interval.

Limerick were a completely different outfit after the break, while Waterford’s performance fell flat. Limerick outscored the Deise by 1-7 to 0-1 in the opening 18 minutes of the second half to level the scores. Carey scored four points in the period, while Kevin O’Brien scored his second goal of the match.

Waterford responded terrifically, however, as Steve Bennett completed his hat trick in the 49th minute. The Deise forward made a great run from the Limerick 21 yard line and finished with aplomb. The Waterford goalkeeper then made a fantastic save to deny an immediate response.

Limerick weren’t to be denied for long, as Mark Carmody scored a goal to sensationally level the scores again. Limerick took the lead for the first time in the match in the 52nd minute and extended their lead to three points with five minutes left to play.

Limerick were in the ascendency, but Waterford fought back bravely. Substitute Peter Keefe equalised with a 58th minute point to send the game into extra time. Limerick had a couple of late chances, but could only manage to hit two wides.

Stamina became an issue in extra time, as players began to suffer from cramp. Waterford took control of the match and scored five unanswered points in the first period of extra time, with Jake Dillon doing the majority of the damage.

The Deise moved into a six point lead in the second period, as Limerick battled gamely to score a goal. Limerick hit the bar and forward Mark Carmody had a free saved on the line, but limerick could only manage a solitary point.

Limerick can be proud of an impressive comeback, but ultimately, Waterford ran out 4-17 to 3-15 winners. The Deise now face Clare in the Munster final.

it was a great game

Sure was, if there will be a better game this year, i hope i am at it. The two teams have some very serious players.

• Advertisement

Sure was, if there will be a better game this year, i hope i am at it. The two teams have some very serious players.

It sure was Tom. Best value tenner I've spent in quite some time.

It sure was Tom. Best value tenner I've spent in quite some time.

IS that what it cost to get in. I dont think anyone would have a real problem with the price when you get entertainment like that.

What was kind of funny was when there was two or three minutes to go (including the stoppage time) there was people leaving the ground. This is something i have often seen in Walsh Park or when some of the city teams are playing. I hope that they did not get to far from the ground. It always amazes me to see people leave early. When you pay money to watch something i think you should stay to the end. I often wonder if they paid for a pint in a pub would they leave it on the counter and walk away from it, before they had finished it.

IS that what it cost to get in. I dont think anyone would have a real problem with the price when you get entertainment like that.

What was kind of funny was when there was two or three minutes to go (including the stoppage time) there was people leaving the ground. This is something i have often seen in Walsh Park or when some of the city teams are playing. I hope that they did not get to far from the ground. It always amazes me to see people leave early. When you pay money to watch something i think you should stay to the end. I often wonder if they paid for a pint in a pub would they leave it on the counter and walk away from it, before they had finished it.

Yep a tenner. Didnt expect it to be any more or any less tbh, so now quibbles here on that front.

Wow at people leaving early. I think at that stage it was either level or a single point in it. I'd be going nowhere. Personally I'd never leave early, no matter how far in front or behind my team was, but by any reasoning leaving early in that game tonight was madness!

Tom Carlsberg don't make matches like this. Fair play to both teams for an outstanding display, thank god we were'nt on the loosing side. I had a pain in my chest after the game. If it had been the final it would have one of the classiest.Pity Limerick are gone they are a serious side.

I was tempted to leave early in 2008 dont stop believing and all that crap. Did anyone notice young O Gorman getting his photograph taken , no photographer they were using mobile phones. I taught it was disgraceful.

• Advertisement

I was tempted to leave early in 2008 dont stop believing and all that crap. Did anyone notice young O Gorman getting his photograph taken , no photographer they were using mobile phones. I taught it was disgraceful.

I did notice that. The reaction he got from the crowd though was great

There was a few there, one of them was asked over the PA to come to them. Guess none of them were told to be ready. Pity, because i am sure all the papers would have taken the photo for news weeks issue.

I have to say our county board would'nt be the sharpest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Just when you think you've seen all the crazy you can from Waterford, they go and push the bar even higher. My match report here.

deiseach wrote: »
    Just when you think you've seen all the crazy you can from Waterford, they go and push the bar even higher. My match report here.

Great write up as always deiseach although I think Darragh Flynn got the 1st Waterford goal with Bennett completing his hat trick in the second half. T'was crazy enough though that I could be wrong about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

deiseach wrote: »

great report on a great occasion.
    we won't see a better hurling match in the county this year!
    don't forget to put the (0-1) beside donal breathnach's name :)

Christ, I'm sickened I couldn't of made the game, it was a cracker. Was keeping updated on WLR on the game really thought we lost it there at the end 3 points down but managed to pull it back. I'm absolutely over the moon for the lads and it makes July 10th a huge day for us. I'm nearly more looking forward to the minor game than the senior! :pac:
    Well done to all involved, just delighted.

Great write up as always deiseach although I think Darragh Flynn got the 1st Waterford goal with Bennett completing his hat trick in the second half. T'was crazy enough though that I could be wrong about that

It was Flynn that got it, set up by O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Thanks for the heads-up re the goals, lads. I've made the changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thaks for the reports lads, I'd be lost without ye. Delighted with that result, it is brilliant for Waterfird hurling to be competitive year in, year out at this level. The future looks bright. They'll get a second chance now no matter what the result the next day right? Hopefully a day out in Croker for them, no harm for our young lads to be getting a taste for the place.

• Advertisement

Once upon a time it was a man called Flynn done most of our scoring. I taught I would never see his class in a Waterford shirt again how wrong I was. It was my birthday yesterday the lads gave me a smashing surprise last night. I reported a car with its window open to the press box before the game you may have heard it announced during the game when I returned to my car after the game one of my wing mirrors was kicked off. I parked my car in IN Cannon St. thinking it would be safe there, wrong again. Still felt happy going home after the win. Whoever done it is a little bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

flahavaj wrote: »
    Thaks for the reports lads, I'd be lost without ye. Delighted with that result, it is brilliant for Waterfird hurling to be competitive year in, year out at this level. The future looks bright. They'll get a second chance now no matter what the result the next day right? Hopefully a day out in Croker for them, no harm for our young lads to be getting a taste for the place.

Yes. Losers of the munster final play either Galway or Antrim in the quarter final. I was listening to the radio, sounds like the preparation has been awesome this year, they're a really talented team as well. If they do well, Liam O Connor might be a big name in Waterford hurling in the near future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

Wonder was Tom Kelly at the game last night? im waiting for his view on the match. :D

STIG83 wrote: »
    Wonder was Tom Kelly at the game last night? im waiting for his view on the match. :D

Haha, "yeah Sean Cullinane and Brian Greene had good games last night, they're good prospects for the future"!

Clare will be a huge test for the minor final, was listening to their game v Tipp on Friday evening and they were impressive by all accounts. Think they're favs for AI, let alone Munster. But we owe them one from last year so hopefully that'll drive the lads on. Good news tho is that win or lose we'll have another game (and a good chance of either of those being in Croker). Hurling into the summer is what you want, especially for the young lads to get used to doing it every summer.

Lets hope that the whole minor Club championship now is not held up. The sames where no players is involved should go ahead, and maybe so should the games where those that do not have a realistic chance of playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Lets hope that the whole minor Club championship now is not held up. The sames where no players is involved should go ahead, and maybe so should the games where those that do not have a realistic chance of playing.

Agree 100%
    Whatever about next weeks fixture, round 1 fixed for Wednesday should not be affected. Looking forward to it. Should be some good games and a good championship overall.

Agree 100%
    Whatever about next weeks fixture, round 1 fixed for Wednesday should not be affected. Looking forward to it. Should be some good games and a good championship overall.

Games for July 6 are going to be changed, and will not be played at the end of August, I think.

Something to think about,

With 2 weeks to the Munster Senior Hurling Final, in Tipperary the following senior hurling games are some of the games down to be played this weekend.

Loughmore/Castleiney V Holycross.Ballycahill.
    Kildangan V Borris-ileigh
    Lorrha V Templederry,
    Cappawhite V Eire Óg Anacarty
    Drom and Inch V Jk Brackens
    Clonolty/Rossmore V Cashel King Cormacs.

In Waterford, we have a blank weekend and we have one next weekend.

If Counties like Tipperary who have won a number of All-Ireland's since out last success can go ahead and play their games, why cant we. Surley if we want to be successful we have to be playing games up to seven days before inter county games.

For players to be playing with their club, i feel would be better then playing the likes of Wexford in a challenge game which i heard took place yesterday when i was coming out of Walsh Park last night.

Pity we couldnt win the flip for home advantage against London in the qualifier

• Advertisement

Pity we couldnt win the flip for home advantage against London in the qualifier

Would have been nice to have someone in Fraher Field.

London wont be easy to beat. They have gotten very strong in the last year or two with the amount of people that has moved across there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement