Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Daysha wrote: »
    Ah 2003 against Limerick, probably the greatest game nobody will ever know about. Even though I was at it there's very little I can remember about the game tbh. The one memory that does stand out was Mullane hand-passing the ball into an empty net :D We were able to laugh about it when we eventually qualified in the replay, but if we ended up losing that game he'd probably never forgive himself.

But apart from that nothing really stands out. I hadn't even realised we were so far up in the game, and I only have a vague recollection of one camera being allowed on pitch-level for extremely brief highlights that night.

I watched it on Youtube a couple years back, the entire game. Ametuer footage someone recorded it with commentary from Limerick local radio. I dont know if its still up. It was an incredible game I remember the day well. Sweltering heat and Thurles packed to the rafters. finished 4-13 each a game that had everything. I remember the atmosphere in Thurles that day it was as good as Ive ever seen. Just makes you realise how much the crowds have gone back when you think of 15000 in Thurles for the recent Munster semi final. Down the square before hand you' hardly realise there was a game on.
    Then again those were different times, economically and it was 2 counties with huge expectations at the time. Limerick after 3 u21s in a row apparantly on the brink of greatness and Waterford were favourites for the AI the same year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

To be fair lads, minor hurlers, things like this happen.

Agree 100%, its all part of the learning process.

Ah 2003 against Limerick, probably the greatest game nobody will ever know about. Even though I was at it there's very little I can remember about the game tbh. The one memory that does stand out was Mullane hand-passing the ball into an empty net :D We were able to laugh about it when we eventually qualified in the replay, but if we ended up losing that game he'd probably never forgive himself.

But apart from that nothing really stands out. I hadn't even realised we were so far up in the game, and I only have a vague recollection of one camera being allowed on pitch-level for extremely brief highlights that night.

I was in the South of France for the replay, and could not find any place that was showing the game, would it have been on Tara TV at the time. I know one of the games was not shown because of some dispute. A group gathered around a phone and someone rang home, the phone was left near a radio and a summeray of Kieran's commentry was given. There was Euro coins been looked for everyplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

That was a great game not for the faint hearted, I remember I had a broken foot and was on crutches so was like a dog I had to go in the stand and not the terrace.... Mullane was after serving a 9month ban and this was his first game back, ppl didnt even think he'd start on the day (he may have been AN.Other in the lineup),Alan Kirwin full back/corner back aswell.... from the throw in the game was 90 miles an hour amazing,
    Then during the game maybe 14 mins in I seen the best goal of my life, words can't describe it, amazing is all I can say, Browne sent ina sideline or a cross and flynn rose above the two defenders on the edge of the box to one handedly hook it into the net over Houillihan in the goal....

Mullane got the ball at the 45 at the sideline and sprinted all the way in for a goal, absolutely amazing what a way to mark your comeback, strike of lightening with his pace and then a thunderbolt of a shot -
    INPHO_00093878.jpg

Brick walsh announced his name on the scene at the death of the game, Limerick had possession and Moran was winding up for a shot 45 yards out in front of the goal, surely a point guaranteed and Brick less hurley sprinted for him, propelled himself forward and bloacked the ball as it left the hurley with his helmet, amazing stuff altogether, Brill if your a neutral!

INPHO_00093900.jpg

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I was in the South of France for the replay, and could not find any place that was showing the game, would it have been on Tara TV at the time. I know one of the games was not shown because of some dispute. A group gathered around a phone and someone rang home, the phone was left near a radio and a summeray of Kieran's commentry was given. There was Euro coins been looked for everyplace.

the first game was not shown but the second game was, the second game was a bit of a borefest but a victory none the less..... I listened to it on an online radio in Krakow, Poland!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Having seen the TG4 highlights of Saturday's minor match, I want to make two changes to my match report. The mistake I attributed to goalkeeper Paddy Cooke for Limerick's first goal was actually the fault of one of the full backs. Sorry Paddy! And Dónie Breathnach's point was scored in extra time, not in normal time. Dónie was also unlucky when he broke through the middle and slipped the ball past the keeper but it just rolled the wrong side of the post. It would have been a great goal.

A key feature of the 2003 senior match between Waterford and Limerick was the dreadful refereeing of Pat Aherne of Carlow. I don't think he every refereed a big game after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Excellent point. Also, while we always like to see every Waterford team do well and win trophies, the important thing here is the development of adult players. What we don't want is to overburden and burn out kids. Look at Galway's example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Oh, I'm not having a go. I'm not even having a go at the Seniors. It's all part of the rich tapestry that is following Waterford. But Jesus, it can be stressful on the old ticker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

,Alan Kirwin full back/corner back aswell....

Pity Kirwan is still not there. Best man marker in Waterford club hurling. Over the last few years he has marked all of the big name forwards on our county team, while playing for Ballygunner, and any time I have seen him he has always comes out on top. Remember a county final from a few years ago. Jamie Kearney from Ballyduff Upper was having the game of his life, roasting Tommy Power first and then Wayne Hutchinson. After about 40 minutes of action he had 7 points from play. Peter Queally then moved Kirwan onto Kearney and Kearney barely touched the ball for the rest of the match. Could have been the answer to our full back problem if given time to settle into the position. Fell out with Justin in 2003, was dropped from the panel at the end of that year and has never played for the county team since.

• Advertisement

Ah 2003 against Limerick, probably the greatest game nobody will ever know about.
    I wrote a keyboard-eroding 3,874 words on that one which must be worth about four frames of TV coverage. It was that good/I was that boring/all of the above. And alas, as Giveitfong notes, it was one of only two occasions where I've felt the need to give the ref a bollocking (the other being Aodhan Mac Suibhne against Cork in 1999). People often bang about 'letting the game flow' and Pat Aherne certainly did that, only giving nine frees in the entire second half. But I'm of the school of thought that if it's a foul it's a foul, and being lenient played into Limerick's more (ahem) robust hands. Still, Paddy Joe Ryan's comments about refs from weaker counties was crass.

deiseach wrote: »
    I wrote a keyboard-eroding 3,874 words on that one which must be worth about four frames of TV coverage. It was that good/I was that boring/all of the above. And alas, as Giveitfong notes, it was one of only two occasions where I've felt the need to give the ref a bollocking (the other being Aodhan Mac Suibhne against Cork in 1999). People often bang about 'letting the game flow' and Pat Aherne certainly did that, only giving nine frees in the entire second half. But I'm of the school of thought that if it's a foul it's a foul, and being lenient played into Limerick's more (ahem) robust hands. Still, Paddy Joe Ryan's comments about refs from weaker counties was crass.

Your match reports and website is very interesting and good.... I enjoy havinh a read of old match reports on it from good games years ago!! Hopefully you will be writing a good one Sunday Night/Monday Morning Week!!!

Giveitfong wrote: »
    A key feature of the 2003 senior match between Waterford and Limerick was the dreadful refereeing of Pat Aherne of Carlow. I don't think he every refereed a big game after that.

Correct. He had an absolute nightmare. Paul Flynn was bearing down on goal and was blatantly pulled down. Amazingly the ref waved play on and Limerick went down the other end and scored a goal straight away. It was comical stuff but to be fair he made awful decisions for both sides. The pace of the game was unbelievable and he'd never took charge of anything like that before, or after for that matter! There was uproar and he was lucky the cameras werent there!
    Im not sure what became of Limerick afterwards but if Im not mistaken, Waterford lost the Munster final to Cork after (threw away another big lead) Mullane got a hat trick. Lost in the qualifiers to Wexford up in Nowlan Park, we were blown away out of it and no one saw it coming.

Your match reports and website is very interesting and good.... I enjoy havinh a read of old match reports on it from good games years ago!! Hopefully you will be writing a good one Sunday Night/Monday Morning Week!!!
    I'm dreading that. It's become a bit of an addiction, and getting TWO match reports up, especially seeing as I'm in work first thing the following morning . . . :confused:

Lost in the qualifiers to Wexford up in Nowlan Park, we were blown away out of it and no one saw it coming.
    That was a hard lesson, that Wexford game. One of the Larrys - can't remember if it was Murphy or O'Gorman - was quoted as saying that "you always feel you have a chance against Waterford" or words to that effect. His candour in world of with-all-due-respect bull**** was refreshing. Although the mood was lightened by my wife's reaction to her first experience of sharing a terrace with supporters of the opposition - Wexford was "a county full of village idiots!" Guess where she works now? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm dreading that. It's become a bit of an addiction, and getting TWO match reports up, especially seeing as I'm in work first thing the following morning . . . :confused:

I hope you keep it up anyway, I've had a great time the last few weeks looking over it. iuts an amazing resource really, fair play to you for all the hard work.

If its becoming a chore then don't put yoursef under as much pressure to have them up straight away on the Monday, give yourself a few days' breathing space.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind words, flahavaj. I'm away on holidays the following Saturday (back in time for the quarter-finals) so I'll probably suck it up the Sunday night after the matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Deiseach, did you do a write up for that Munster Final in 2004? If so could you put a link here. I tried searching on your blog but couldn't find it.

Deiseach, did you do a write up for that Munster Final in 2004? If so could you put a link here. I tried searching on your blog but couldn't find it.
    I was wondering when that'd come up! I didn't get to any matches in 2004, generally because I was living in England and couldn't afford to be jaunting back home for matches. That particular weekend I was on my honeymoon at Glastonbury. Got congratulated loads :p

I was wondering when that'd come up! I didn't get to any matches in 2004, generally because I was living in England and couldn't afford to be jaunting back home for matches. That particular weekend I was on my honeymoon at Glastonbury. Got congratulated loads :p

Wearing your jersey I hope!

Its slack on the footballers having to play at 6.30pm in london the evening of the night... Id imagine they would have liked to go the game the next day and their family if some are travelling to Ruislip..... its not impossible that they wouldn't make it but its a lot of rushing around cathching planes etc

hardybuck wrote: »
    Excellent point. Also, while we always like to see every Waterford team do well and win trophies, the important thing here is the development of adult players. What we don't want is to overburden and burn out kids. Look at Galway's example.

Spot on. It maddens me at times to see some people as soon as they see a good minior player coming through calling for him to be put straight into the senior set up, and even into the starting team. We have to remember these are young lads with plenty of other things going on in their lives. We have to let them develop a bit before we see them as first team regulars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ah 2003 against Limerick, probably the greatest game nobody will ever know about.

It was an absolute disgrace that cameras couldn't be put in because of safety regulations. They should have had that sorted, and one of the best games in the munster championship in the last decade was lost due to that.
    That was a great game not for the faint hearted, I remember I had a broken foot and was on crutches so was like a dog I had to go in the stand and not the terrace.... Mullane was after serving a 9month ban and this was his first game back, ppl didnt even think he'd start on the day (he may have been AN.Other in the lineup),Alan Kirwin full back/corner back aswell.... from the throw in the game was 90 miles an hour amazing,
    Then during the game maybe 14 mins in I seen the best goal of my life, words can't describe it, amazing is all I can say, Browne sent ina sideline or a cross and flynn rose above the two defenders on the edge of the box to one handedly hook it into the net over Houillihan in the goal....

Mullane got the ball at the 45 at the sideline and sprinted all the way in for a goal, absolutely amazing what a way to mark your comeback, strike of lightening with his pace and then a thunderbolt of a shot -
    INPHO_00093878.jpg

Brick walsh announced his name on the scene at the death of the game, Limerick had possession and Moran was winding up for a shot 45 yards out in front of the goal, surely a point guaranteed and Brick less hurley sprinted for him, propelled himself forward and bloacked the ball as it left the hurley with his helmet, amazing stuff altogether, Brill if your a neutral!

INPHO_00093900.jpg

I remember Flynners over his shoulder goal sensational.
    Giveitfong wrote: »

Was going to say it when I saw all this, the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen without question.
    Correct. He had an absolute nightmare. Paul Flynn was bearing down on goal and was blatantly pulled down. Amazingly the ref waved play on and Limerick went down the other end and scored a goal straight away. It was comical stuff but to be fair he made awful decisions for both sides. The pace of the game was unbelievable and he'd never took charge of anything like that before, or after for that matter! There was uproar and he was lucky the cameras werent there!

Remember that vividly. I was outraged, and then a few Limerick fans said 'yeah but he awarded ye a dodgy free at the end to draw it'. Sure if he had given Flynn the penalty thats a six point turn around, we would have won by 5!
    Wearing your jersey I hope!

Its slack on the footballers having to play at 6.30pm in london the evening of the night... Id imagine they would have liked to go the game the next day and their family if some are travelling to Ruislip..... its not impossible that they wouldn't make it but its a lot of rushing around cathching planes etc

Yeah that is harsh. Probably didn't even cross the minds of those who scheduled the match.

For sure. They have their own lives and they have no obligation to even remain playing if they don't want to. I make a point of trying not to talk about those who aren't on the Senior panel. It's unfair to place so much expectation on them, and might be part of the reason they lost to Galway in 2009, all the hype, though Galway did go on and win it.

And I agree the most important thing is not winning all-irelands (though it's no bad thing) underage its developing as players. If you look at the list of players we've produced from unsuccesful underage teams (Brick, Moran, Ringo, Foley, Shane O'Sullivan, Shane Walsh, Stephen Molumphy, Eoin Murphy, John Mullane, Eoin Kelly) it just shows that it doesn't matter when looking at Limerick and Galway underage.

any guys here every watched a GAA game in Prague, Id imagine some of the Irish bars out there will be showing the munster final..... It says on their websites they cover GAA so Id say we're safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

any guys here every watched a GAA game in Prague, Id imagine some of the Irish bars out there will be showing the munster final..... It says on their websites they cover GAA so Id say we're safe enough
    Never watched one there but go there quiet often probably the best irish pub is the dubliner off old town square! really esy to find and i think they have a website and there is a man in the square directing you to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah 2003 against Limerick, probably the greatest game nobody will ever know about. Even though I was at it there's very little I can remember about the game tbh.

Mullane's handpass goal - the minute he did it, he put his hands to his head.

3 things i remember: Eoin Kelly scored a point in the second half where himself, Ken and i think Peter Queally played a hurling version of keepy uppy with the sliothar where they kept flicking it over advancing Limerick men to avoid a challenge. A Cork man in front of me stood up to applaud it and said it was the best score he ever saw. Steve McDonagh came on, did a big loop from midfield to the goals and wondered over to Mullane and floored him. Booked before he even touched the ball.

Crazy game but brilliant. Would love to see the game on youtube, any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Doesn't seem to be anything on YouTube on it. Jesus, that was some game, didn't know whether to laugh or cry coming out of it. The replay a week later was dire.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Looks like they had a good session down in Cork last night - training in PUC to the tunes of Elton John who was playing Live in the Marquee! Had a full training game for quite a while as well, tough hitting

Hard training session by the looks of it - only caught snatches of it, but got one or two new drills from Davy Fitz. Very good banter at the end, when two were out practising frees and that - won't say anymore about things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Paul Flynn was bearing down on goal and was blatantly pulled down.
    Remember it well, it was Damien Reale.

The pace of the game was unbelievable
    On the way out, myself and a fella I was at the game with counted 11 clear goalscoring opportunities for Waterford!

Im not sure what became of Limerick afterwards .
    Lost to Waterford in replay (obviously), scraped past Kerry in their first back-door game, then lost to Offaly in a Thursday-night game and were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Lost to Waterford in replay (obviously), scraped past Kerry in their first back-door game, then lost to Offaly in a Thursday-night game and were gone.

:eek: Thursday night?! What in the name of jaysus gave them that mad idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

:eek: Thursday night?! What in the name of jaysus gave them that mad idea?

think it was to facilitate limerick's dual players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

Lads any idea of the following,

1.If Waterford win,what date are we next out(obviously in croker)

2.If Waterford lose,what date are we next out(will that game be in croker?)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

brian2614 wrote: »
    Lads any idea of the following,

1.If Waterford win,what date are we next out(obviously in croker)

2.If Waterford lose,what date are we next out(will that game be in croker?)

Cheers

Win - August 14th

Lose - July 23rd possibly 24th (likely Thurles double header) with likely semi on August 7th if win again.

The highlights of the Minor game are on YouTube courtesy of someone who might just be from Waterford. Thanks to him, thanks to TG4 and thanks to Nemeton, great friends of CLG Port Láirge that they are

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Looks like they had a good session down in Cork last night - training in PUC to the tunes of Elton John who was playing Live in the Marquee! Had a full training game for quite a while as well, tough hitting

Hard training session by the looks of it - only caught snatches of it, but got one or two new drills from Davy Fitz. Very good banter at the end, when two were out practising frees and that - won't say anymore about things

Outta curiosity ho long roughly were they out there for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

How will the footballers get on in London ?

Is there any interest around in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

The highlights of the Minor game are on YouTube courtesy of someone who might just be from Waterford. Thanks to him, thanks to TG4 and thanks to Nemeton, great friends of CLG Port Láirge that they are

There is a user on you tube called tallowmanirish. He has a great archive of Waterford games (amongst others) saved under his user name. very useful if you miss the sunday game or the TG4 show.

And i have since noticed that tallowmanirish is responsible for the above link

tatoo wrote: »

You would be hoping that Waterford will win. However it wont be easy. Waterford played division three of the National League this year and despite loosing more games than they won, they played remarkably well, and with a bit of luck here and there could have actually been promoted instead of relegated. In many games there was less than a kick or two of the ball between the sides.

London played in Division Four again, and struggled somewhat, i think their only win was their annual one against Kilkenny, but i stand to be corrected on this.

Since the league however, they have surprised many. Mayo needed extra time to beat them, but how good are Mayo. Not great going on last weeks showing against Galway on the television. London then beat Fermanagh last weekend, something many would have said was a surprise, but Fermanagh never improved on the form they showed a few years back when they reached an All-Ireland quarter final or semi final.

London it has to be pointed out have gained massivly from out economic down turn, as a lot of good footballers from all over the country has gone over there in the search of what work they can find there, including a few that it is believed to have won Munster and All-Ireland under 21 medals with Kerry and a few other counties as well.

tatoo wrote: »

Pat Spillane said he'd take any money on the bet that London would lose. Doesn't give Waterford any chance. Have been trying ta get hold of his number all week! :D

Waterford will be well aware of London's threat. The fact their being written off will surely be serious motivation and they are certainly not as bad a team as everyone thinks, the day against Cork they were just playing an outstanding team and also the wind was taken out of their sails when that long ball dropped into the goal, that kinda thing would always knock the stuffing out of the underdog.

I think they'll win anyway provided they have their full team, and that would be a massive two fingers up to Pat Spillane, Joe Brolly and anybody else who has the neck to question the commitment of the players and ability, which they do have.

Pat Spillane said he'd take any money on the bet that London would lose. Doesn't give Waterford any chance. Have been trying ta get hold of his number all week! :D

Waterford will be well aware of London's threat. The fact their being written off will surely be serious motivation and they are certainly not as bad a team as everyone thinks, the day against Cork they were just playing an outstanding team and also the wind was taken out of their sails when that long ball dropped into the goal, that kinda thing would always knock the stuffing out of the underdog.

I think they'll win anyway provided they have their full team, and that would be a massive two fingers up to Pat Spillane, Joe Brolly and anybody else who has the neck to question the commitment of the players and ability, which they do have.

Shane Briggs wont be playing according to reports during the week. A massive loss as he is a very good centre back. Luckly for Waterford there is a few players that could slot in there quite easy.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Shane Briggs wont be playing according to reports during the week. A massive loss as he is a very good centre back. Luckly for Waterford there is a few players that could slot in there quite easy.

That is a big loss to be fair.

Waterford have every chance of winning. I mean its still only London we are division 3 this year they are division 4. True they are stronger than other years and it not easy to go over there but hopefully we can go with the belief to win. Would be a great start to a great weekend in Waterford GAA if we could win our first ever football qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What's the best Waterford footballers have ever done? Have they ever won a Munster title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What's the best Waterford footballers have ever done? Have they ever won a Munster title?

Lost to Dublin in All Ireland Final 2-8 to 0-4.
    17 aside back then.

Munster Finals
    Lost the 1891 Final V Cork
    Lost the 1896 Final V Limerick
    won the 1998 final V Cork
    Lost the 1904 final V Kerry
    Lost 1908 Final V Kerry
    Lost 1911 Final V Cork
    Lost 1940 Final V Kerry
    Lost 1946 Final V Kerry
    Lost 1957 Final V Cork
    Lost 1960 Final V Kerry

All-Ireland Finals
    Lost 1898 Fnal V Dublin in Tipperary Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Got an email from the Season Ticket office, tickets for the Munster Final will be in section C of covered stand. A far cry from the promised centre of the pitch tickets.

Strongly considering not renewing the season ticket for next year, had it since they launched 3 years ago but the service has gotten steadily worse each season :mad:

• Advertisement

I think the best success would have been at U21 level. They reached 3 U21 Munster finals in the 1990's, and three in the noughties.

They won in 2006, beating a very strong Kerry team which included Gooch Cooper, Declan O'Sullivan, Seamus Scanlon, Declan Quill, Brian Sheehan, I think Brosnan was playing as well. A lot of the Kerry team went on to become legends of the game, a lot of the Waterford team never lined out with the seniors even.

I can remember Justin McCarthy at the time was supposed to have tried to force lads not to tog out etc and to concentrate on hurling. Shame to waste a lot of good players over the last few years.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Got an email from the Season Ticket office, tickets for the Munster Final will be in section C of covered stand. A far cry from the promised centre of the pitch tickets.

Strongly considering not renewing the season ticket for next year, had it since they launched 3 years ago but the service has gotten steadily worse each season :mad:

Such an outrage....

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭deise man

KevIRL wrote: »

Dead right. And people going to their first match of the year will probably end up in the centre of the stand.

I think the best success would have been at U21 level. They reached 3 U21 Munster finals in the 1990's, and three in the noughties.

They won in 2006, beating a very strong Kerry team which included Gooch Cooper, Declan O'Sullivan, Seamus Scanlon, Declan Quill, Brian Sheehan, I think Brosnan was playing as well. A lot of the Kerry team went on to become legends of the game, a lot of the Waterford team never lined out with the seniors even.

I can remember Justin McCarthy at the time was supposed to have tried to force lads not to tog out etc and to concentrate on hurling. Shame to waste a lot of good players over the last few years.

2003. Think Donaghy was playing. Stars of the Waterford team included Shane Walsh and Brick Walsh. Liam O Lionain was captain, I think?

deise man wrote: »
    Dead right. And people going to their first match of the year will probably end up in the centre of the stand.

I'll be going to my first match of the year. I live too far away to get down most of the time. Luckily just attending games isn't the only barometer of how strong a GAA person you are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement