If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32LH3000 Competitors

• 11-08-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,

What products would be similar to this LG and which would you recommend?

It's slightly higher than my limit at the moment so anything cheaper would be nice :)

Also, should I accept for now that no TV in this price range will have video playback from a USB key? :(

Also also, if I plugged in my laptop, where does the sound come out of (TV or laptop)? The guy in HN said the TV would do it but does it not connect tru a VGA port :confused:

Cheers!
    Martin

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

mckildare wrote: »
    Hi,

What products would be similar to this LG and which would you recommend?

It's slightly higher than my limit at the moment so anything cheaper would be nice :)

Also, should I accept for now that no TV in this price range will have video playback from a USB key? :(

Also also, if I plugged in my laptop, where does the sound come out of (TV or laptop)? The guy in HN said the TV would do it but does it not connect tru a VGA port :confused:

Cheers!

Martin

Thanks for the post.

We can do the excellent 32PFL5404H at just £349.95.

It's HD ready (of course) has MPEG4 tuner and USB playback as requested- it also sounds way better than the LG!

Re connecting your PC - do you mean your PC does not have a VGA out???? if it, does you can connect it straight into the VGA on the 5404 and connect the audio out from the PC (normally it's a 3.5mm stereo jack - like a headphone jack) into the TV.

Hope that's some help for you and please do drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

johnmc wrote: »
    Thanks for the post.

It's HD ready (of course) has MPEG4 tuner and USB playback as requested- it also sounds way better than the LG!

Re connecting your PC - do you mean your PC does not have a VGA out???? if it, does you can connect it straight into the VGA on the 5404 and connect the audio out from the PC (normally it's a 3.5mm stereo jack - like a headphone jack) into the TV.

Hope that's some help for you and please do drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

Ah right ok, what I normally do is connect my external monitor to my laptop with the VGA and use the speakers off the laptop. I think the guy meant what you are saying that if I connected the audio too then the tv will output the sound (?). I just got confused because I thought he meant the VGA would do it all. Thanks!

Re The TV, I didnt see that one on the website, looks very good for that price! Does the USB only play Mp3 video files? If theres one on display in the philips store on Dame st ill take a look on Saturday

Much appreciated!
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

Mp3 is just for audio. From the doc (vid formats in bold):

Multimedia Applications
    •Multimedia connections: USB
    •Playback Formats: MP3, LPCM, JPEG Still pictures, MPEG1, MPEG2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Ah right ok, what I normally do is connect my external monitor to my laptop with the VGA and use the speakers off the laptop. I think the guy meant what you are saying that if I connected the audio too then the tv will output the sound (?). I just got confused because I thought he meant the VGA would do it all. Thanks!

<Snip>

Laptop VGA port only carries a video signal, no sound comes through it. Most new TV's have a VGA port so the same cable you use to connect a PC to a monitor can be used for your laptop and telly, then what you need a a cable that will connect the 3.5mm (headphone) jack on your laptop to the phono in (red & white) connections on the telly you can get them in any audio type shop here's a cheap example http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=108381 but I'm sure the guys can do one of these for ye

beecee wrote: »
    Mp3 is just for audio. From the doc (vid formats in bold):

Multimedia Applications
    •Multimedia connections: USB
    •Playback Formats: MP3, LPCM, JPEG Still pictures, MPEG1, MPEG2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Cheers for that, pity it doesnt play any of the formats I have. Ah well :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, pity it doesnt play any of the formats I have. Ah well :)

Mc,

what formats do you have and we will do a try out for you in-store (lots of times different formats do work but the manufacturers don't state this as they don't want to pay the licence fees) :eek: (not that I would suggest for a moment that any of the Manufacturers we stock would even think of doing that :D

ATB,

John mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

John,

The formats I have are xvid and divx. Ill drop into the shop on Saturday with my external HD to give it a try. My bro recently bought the 37PFL9604 which plays them fine, great tv too :D

Martin

John,

The formats I have are xvid and divx. Ill drop into the shop on Saturday with my external HD to give it a try. My bro recently bought the 37PFL9604 which plays them fine, great tv too :D

Martin

Thanks Martin,

I'll tell the boys and Girls to look out for that strange man rummaging around the back of the TV's on Saturday......

Keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

Managed to make it to the shop today to test out the USB (thanks saleslady for the help! :) ). Works just fine which is sweet :cool:

Downside is I went in with the 5404 price in my mind but all the specs of the 5604 as a checklist. When I saw the actual price of the 5604 I had to dash back to the office to check what you had written to see if I was getting the deal of the century.....no, my brain just outdid itself yet again :o

Now im in a bind, the 5604 is what I want (especially since you said it sounds way better than the LG :D) but its leapfrogged over my budget by a mile. I'll have to wait for another while and see what happens. At least by then I may have somewhere to put the tv!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭shnaek

johnmc wrote: »
    Sorry for hijaking your thread, mckildare! This Phillips looks like a good deal to me. I had been looking at the sharp lc 32dh57 there this morning in town, on sale at €399. I think this Phillips would be better for the price. I have a couple of those one-for-all gift cards. Do you accept those up in the shop in Dublin?
    Cheers,
    Sean

• Advertisement

Managed to make it to the shop today to test out the USB (thanks saleslady for the help! :) ). Works just fine which is sweet :cool:

Downside is I went in with the 5404 price in my mind but all the specs of the 5604 as a checklist. When I saw the actual price of the 5604 I had to dash back to the office to check what you had written to see if I was getting the deal of the century.....no, my brain just outdid itself yet again :o

Now im in a bind, the 5604 is what I want (especially since you said it sounds way better than the LG :D) but its leapfrogged over my budget by a mile. I'll have to wait for another while and see what happens. At least by then I may have somewhere to put the tv!

M

McKildare,

Thanks for popping in and I'm glad that you were Nicola'ed up to the 5604! (that's my girl! ;)) I have PM'd you a killer price on it to ease the pain.

It's great that the required USB formats worked!

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.