Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEPTIC TANK needs love and attention!

Options
  • 11-08-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

A very neglectful septic tank owner here! Having recently read up on the maintenance of septic tanks (after conveniently forgetting for the past few years that we actually had one :eek:), do I just cross my fingers and stick a pin in the Yellow Pages list, or can anyone recommend a reliable outfit for the West Limerick area please? Also, very roughly how much would it cost to inspect and drain it? I think it's a concrete one, about 12 years old and it seems inclined to 'back up' slightly in heavy rain. 'Cessclean' seems to help, but only temporarily. I realise now we should have done something earlier, but a number of other recent household 'emergencies' have been a drain on the finances (before anyone starts shouting at me!).

Anyway, hope I've put this query in the right section? Will be most grateful for any advice or recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

iora_rua wrote: »
    A very neglectful septic tank owner here! Having recently read up on the maintenance of septic tanks (after conveniently forgetting for the past few years that we actually had one :eek:), do I just cross my fingers and stick a pin in the Yellow Pages list, or can anyone recommend a reliable outfit for the West Limerick area please? Also, very roughly how much would it cost to inspect and drain it? I think it's a concrete one, about 12 years old and it seems inclined to 'back up' slightly in heavy rain. 'Cessclean' seems to help, but only temporarily. I realise now we should have done something earlier, but a number of other recent household 'emergencies' have been a drain on the finances (before anyone starts shouting at me!).

Anyway, hope I've put this query in the right section? Will be most grateful for any advice or recommendations.

If it's backing up in heavy rain then I'd guess water is getting back into it through its land drain. If you have heavy, clayey soil that is always a possibility and there's not much you can do about it that I know of. First step, I suggest, is to do a Golden Pages search for someone who does septic tank emptying, as I would expect that it's full of sludge and silt and badly needs cleaning out. Ideally you should do that every two years or so, although most of us don't:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Jeez, I thought I was bad only getting mine cleaned out once a year!!!

When we bought the site, there was an old bungalow and septic tank on it which hadn't been emptied in years. When the guy tried to pump the old sludge out of the tank, it was so thick that he had to use a shovel and then a long pole to break it up while I ran a hose into it to soften up the sludge as it was practrically solid enough to walk on!!!!

Like all things, regular maintenance will prevent problems. Leaving a septic tank neglected for years will end up causing money as I'd imagine the waste pipe leading into it will have large deposits of grease and filth in it that couldn't drain into the tank and this pipe will have to be jetted to clear it (expensive) and a very bad smell :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Jeez, I thought I was bad only getting mine cleaned out once a year!!!

When we bought the site, there was an old bungalow and septic tank on it which hadn't been emptied in years. When the guy tried to pump the old sludge out of the tank, it was so thick that he had to use a shovel and then a long pole to break it up while I ran a hose into it to soften up the sludge as it was practrically solid enough to walk on!!!!

Like all things, regular maintenance will prevent problems. Leaving a septic tank neglected for years will end up causing money as I'd imagine the waste pipe leading into it will have large deposits of grease and filth in it that couldn't drain into the tank and this pipe will have to be jetted to clear it (expensive) and a very bad smell :eek:

OMG! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

iora_rua wrote: »

It sounds like it is all blocked up and the percolation has also broken down. Therefore emptying the Tank will help but only for a short time. The best solution will be to dig out the percolation and replace it . The cost of the pipe work will be about the same as a Company will charge to blow it out and they will only cure it for a short time.
    You will need a Mini Digger or JCB and about 5 to 10 ton of Stone for the percolation. You still have to get the Tank emptied as well.
    I done a similar Job for a friend of mine last year who had the same problem and it worked out very successful.
    Incidentally most Council wont allow these type of Septic Tank anymore.
    You need something like a Klargester or Envirosphere or Bord na Mona now.
    I installed a Klargester treatment plant recently and it is Brilliant. it costs about 5500 Euro to buy.But is an Asset when the House might be sold.
    I hope this helps.

Advertisement