Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reception of TV5 + other French channels - 1 dish or more?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

There's an ancient thread on boards.ie, regarding the reception of french terrestial channels, but I don't want to risk bumping it..

Is it possible, in 2009.. to have just one dish to get the likes of TF1, France 2 (previously Antenne 2) and FR3?

I am shopping around for access to TV5, along with FTA, but I would like the other french channels as well, is more than one dish needed?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Tv5 is free on Hotbird 13.east or Astra1 19east, the rest are on Atlantic bird 5 west
    i would say your choice is 2 dishes or a Motorized dish or even a Tordial dish but i could be wrong about the Tordial dish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cheers scaller. Are the other channels still analogue, or can I get a more modern box to receive them?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

France 24 Français,TMC, TV8 Mont Blanc, KTO TV Catholique, France 2, France 5, ARTE Français,LCP,France 3 are all digital on 5 west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes they are still in analogue. Some are available in digital.

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 farmergiles

I watch the digital French channels on 5W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

The best option if you watch them a lot is to get a TNTSAT or a Fransat receiver. The TNTSAT receiver works with 19e and the Fransat works with 5w.

You can pick them up on ebay. The cards in the TNTSAT boxes will work for four years.

http://www.tntsat.tv
    http://www.fransat.fr

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mod note: Thread moved to Foreign Satellite forum

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Heard Surpin is delivering outside France.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Smeagol wrote: »
    Heard Surpin is delivering outside France.

Looking at their website, yes they deliver anywhere in Europe for €12.00 and they have a good range of boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

Amalgam wrote: »
    There's an ancient thread on boards.ie, regarding the reception of french terrestial channels, but I don't want to risk bumping it..

Is it possible, in 2009.. to have just one dish to get the likes of TF1, France 2 (previously Antenne 2) and FR3?

I am shopping around for access to TV5, along with FTA, but I would like the other french channels as well, is more than one dish needed?

Have you a dish already?
    If you want to receive English language channels then Astra 2 is your satellite with an extra LNB directed at Astra 1 you will get TV5MONDE (formerly TV5) and all the free TNT (eighteen) channels from France. The decoder is available in France as TNTsat and I would suggest going for the one that is MPEG4 enabled (not MPEG2)
    It costs about 200 euros with a card that lasts 4 years and will be renewable for a few euros.

(Sorry, forgot to mention that all the regular French analogue channels are included in TNTsat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭upsilon

According to Lyngsat, France television in digital FTA on Atlantic bird 3.
    http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html
    Can anybody confirm this?
    Also I have a 50cm dish not setup yet is this enough?
    This is a long shot i guess,but has anybody used a francesat card in an Mvision hd200? I have read the TNTsat card is not that reliable with the diablo CAM?

tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Only France 2,3,5 Arte and LCP are fta on digital.

50cm, very small, but you can try it out. I can receive it here with 65cm, but with the first drops of rain it starts breaking up.

Doubt that the fransat card works on the HD200, my swisscard, which is also on Viaccess3, doesn't without a proper cam.

Frisian wrote: »
    Only France 2,3,5 Arte and LCP are fta on digital.

50cm, very small, but you can try it out. I can receive it here with 65cm, but with the first drops of rain it starts breaking up.

Doubt that the fransat card works on the HD200, my swisscard, which is also on Viaccess3, doesn't without a proper cam.
    Many thanks, that all that I am after, Every time I go back home I realise how bad commercial French tv can get....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

5west needs a 1m dish ,,triax td110 recommended

Yes it worked for me for 48 hours with a 50cm dish with 78% reception and 50% quality.
    However the strom moved the dam dish and I lost the signal.
    I am going to try with a Sky dish, first because it is supposed to be less sensitive to wind and it is all Metal brackets, Unlike the crap from lidl.
    I use a HD200 hd receiver, brilliant. Irish DTT is quite good on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Eh? I've gotten 5W easily with a 65cm Sky dish in south Donegal - have set it up temporarily strapped to the edge of a picnic table for my folks for the rugby numerous times.

Yep set it up this morning, Sky Dish works perfect on5W, also the new MK4 design come with a very limited polarization adjustment, so one as to cut out the little plastic latch on the new LNB to be able to rotate it to vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

just going to add my bit, could you add 5 west to an existing 80cm dish aligned to astra 19 and hotbird 13?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

kooga wrote: »
    just going to add my bit, could you add 5 west to an existing 80cm dish aligned to astra 19 and hotbird 13?

You obviously don't share the concerns of the OP . . .
    Amalgam wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You obviously don't share the concerns of the OP . . .

Hi peter, when i did a search re atlantic bird 5 on the forum this was the first thread that came up so just posted here.

can you assist?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

That's at least a 20 degree offset from where your dish is currently aligned. On a Triax TD78, that would leave you 4.5 dB down compared to the signal at the dish focus, according to a graph produced by Triax themselves.

That would leave you with less signal than you would get from a TD54 dish.

Having said that, I watched Liverpool v. Palace from 5W a couple of weeks ago, using a 35 cm dish but the signal was borderline.

Advertisement