Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Ryanair move from Dub-Shannon when M7 is finished

Options
  • 11-08-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭

Yes i know anythings possible...

But think about it...Shannon is not much further away from Dub than Beauvais is from Paris, Reus from Barcelone etc..all popular Ryanair flights

And O Learys been on DAA's ass this last lifetime about what a rip off they are to be associated with.

If he done a deal with Gobus (per example) and could get travellers over to Dublin in 2 hours or so from there... who knows..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

If he done a deal with Gobus (per example) and could get travellers over to Dublin in 2 hours or so from there... who knows..

I know it works in reverse (Irish people flying to Beauvais) but I have my doubts about whether it would work here. I assume (based on the population of Ireland) that about half of his Irish customers live in the GDA. If they had to travel at least two hours from the city centre, it would be more attractive to fly Aer Lingus or another carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Right, so if I wanted to fly to say, Manchester, I'd first have to travel 250km in the wrong direction, only to then fly twice as far, using twice as much fuel back in the direction I first came from. Yes, I could see how that might work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Alun wrote: »
    Right, so if I wanted to fly to say, Manchester, I'd first have to travel 250km in the wrong direction, only to then fly twice as far, using twice as much fuel back in the direction I first came from. Yes, I could see how that might work ;)

Just saying theyve done madder things over the years... Why do you think anyone travels home via Beauvais when Paris has 2 airports up the road from your hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I suppose they might try it for flights *to* Ireland but it would hardly succeed from Ireland.

Shannon should be renamed Limerick Airport (or Limerick Shannon Airport) anyway as that's the nearest major population centre, and Shannon isn't immediately obvious location-wise to those abroad given that the river traverses half the country - without looking at a detailed map of Ireland it's not obvious there's a little town called Shannon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

If ryanair does move down it will only be a protest or if the SAA say how high when michael says jump.
    It would be nice to have some of the routes that dub have, its not as it aer fungus is going to come mid-west.
    Come on mick bring them all down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If the Limerick tunnel bypass was north of the river rather than south of the river they would be fifteen minutes nearer South Dublin. That fifteen minutes could have made all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

I cannot see that happening but I do think Limerick will see good growth when the economy picks up again, due to the infrastructural improvements such as the motorways. Galway probably will too. This is likely to see an increase in destinations and flights to and from Shannon.

In time, I could see them moving their flights from Cork to Kerry.

Gruffalo wrote: »

Good point. Kerry not that far from Cork for such a move. But i dont think he has as big a beef with Cork as with Dublin. Although the DAA does control both so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Rather unlikely i'd say, seeing as Ryanair only fly to London, Dublin and Liverpool from Cork. Move those flights to Kerry and i'm sure some other entrepreneurial Airline will fill Ryanairs place in Cork. Who is going to travel an extra 90+ minutes to Farranfore for short haul flights?.

Kerrys main concern is the imminent abolition of the PSOs i'd say.

• Advertisement

Rather unlikely i'd say, seeing as Ryanair only fly to London, Dublin and Liverpool from Cork. Move those flights to Kerry and i'm sure some other entrepreneurial Airline will fill Ryanairs place in Cork. Who is going to travel an extra 90+ minutes to Farranfore for short haul flights?.

I worded that badly alright. I think he might concentrate growth on Kerry rather than Cork. It would not be an extra 90 minutes for everyone who uses Cork airport. For some of those people, Cork would not be a whole lot closer than Farranfore.

Besides people thought that Girona, Stanstead and Beauvais were mad ideas.
    Kerrys main concern is the imminent abolition of the PSOs i'd say.

I would imagine it is a concern but then so is Cork's massive debt.

Good point. Kerry not that far from Cork for such a move. But i dont think he has as big a beef with Cork as with Dublin. Although the DAA does control both so...

I dont think he cares in the slightest about a beef. Kerry Airport knows it will not keep the PSO forever so they will probably look at low charges to get more flights in.

It also has some strong points e.g. Farranfore has a train station. Which other airport has a train station that close. And it is not that far from Cork. Some parts of Cork are propbably as close to Farranfore as they are to Cork Airport. Some parts of Limerick are probably as close to Farranfore as they are to Shannon. If it was played right, Kerry could do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think the OP asks a perfectly valid and logical question given Ryanair's ability to use a perverse notion of geography in order to flog seats. Sure weren't they in trouble for saying that they flew to "Copenhagen (Malmo)", when not only was the airport not in the same city, it wasn't even in the same country.

Barcelona (Girona) are 100Km apart, for God's sake.

By their logic, they could easily say Dublin (Shannon) or even Dublin (Aldergrove). And I agree with others, for us, it seems a long way. For tourists, (and that includes us abroad) Ryanair have proven that they couldn't care less, if the price is right.

Of course, Ryanair would also love the publicity they would get from making such a suggestion (remember their stupid "no phone chargers in the office" or "passengers standing" stunts - ha ha).

When the M7 is completed, Ryanair probably will use it as a bargaining tool with Dublin to get a better deal.

On thing I reckon will definitely happen is that the PSO review, and the completion of the M18, will see Shannon kill Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I worded that badly alright. I think he might concentrate growth on Kerry rather than Cork. It would not be an extra 90 minutes for everyone who uses Cork airport. For some of those people, Cork would not be a whole lot closer than Farranfore.

Besides people thought that Girona, Stanstead and Beauvais were mad ideas.

Yes i see what you're saying, but would O' Leary provide a low cost base at Kerry when Shannon is literally up the road? i based that 90 minute figure on the AA route planner from Cork City - Farranfore, anything west of that is getting closer to Farranfore then Cork Airport but the N22/72 corridor is rather sparsely populated in comparison.
    I would imagine it is a concern but then so is Cork's massive debt.

Corks debt is onerous but manageable i would guess given its passenger numbers.

Yes i see what you're saying, but would O' Leary provide a low cost base at Kerry when Shannon is literally up the road? i based that 90 minute figure on the AA route planner from Cork City - Farranfore, anything west of that is getting closer to Farranfore then Cork Airport but the N22/72 corridor is rather sparsely populated in comparison.

I think that depends on how the Cork / Kerry region grows once this recession is over. I do think that Cork city will grow to become the city that it should be which in turn will grow the rest of the region. It really would depend on the numbers but it might be possible for him to develop Kerry as a base.

Corks debt is onerous but manageable i would guess given its passenger numbers.

Also given the fact that it was not really Cork's fault that such a large debt built up. I have no doubt that Cork airport will survive. I may be optimistic but I see good things ahead for Cork.

serfboard wrote: »
    I think the OP asks a perfectly valid and logical question given Ryanair's ability to use a perverse notion of geography in order to flog seats. Sure weren't they in trouble for saying that they flew to "Copenhagen (Malmo)", when not only was the airport not in the same city, it wasn't even in the same country.

Barcelona (Girona) are 100Km apart, for God's sake.

By their logic, they could easily say Dublin (Shannon) or even Dublin (Aldergrove). And I agree with others, for us, it seems a long way. For tourists, (and that includes us abroad) Ryanair have proven that they couldn't care less, if the price is right.

Of course, Ryanair would also love the publicity they would get from making such a suggestion (remember their stupid "no phone chargers in the office" or "passengers standing" stunts - ha ha).

When the M7 is completed, Ryanair probably will use it as a bargaining tool with Dublin to get a better deal.

On thing I reckon will definitely happen is that the PSO review, and the completion of the M18, will see Shannon kill Galway.

It really depends on Shannon Airport and the Shannon Region as to how Shannon develops over the coming years. There is huge potential but they will need to market it. For example, once the M18 is built, Athlone will be about the same distance (time wise) from Shannon as it is from Dublin. Anywhere west of Athlone will be closer but will Shannon Airport try and attract customers from there?

The M7 will also bring a lot of other Midlands areas a lot closer to Shannon. Again, what will Shannon Airport do to try and get people from this area using the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I think it will take somewhat from Dublin Airport. Especially anyone who lives near the N7 and south of Naas. As its only C.170km from Naas @ 120KMph average (which is totally possible for the whole Journey) is only 85mins + 30mins to park and get to the gate so 1.45 (2Hrs tops) to the boarding gate.

If you were going to Dublin airport from Naas its C.45Km so around 45mins?? if your lucky off peak? then 1.30 to park (long term) get through security and get to your gate (Say Pier D) thats 2.15. All that is depending on traffic and how busy Dublin Airport is. You could add 1Hr+ if your unlucky. Going to shannon should always take around the same amount of time (as the new road will have a very high capacity).

If it was me I think I would go through Shannon as its SO fast to get from the car park straight to your gate. Never had a delay

irishguy wrote: »
    I think it will take somewhat from Dublin Airport. Especially anyone who lives near the N7 and south of Naas. As its only C.170km from Naas @ 120KMph average (which is totally possible for the whole Journey) is only 85mins + 30mins to park and get to the gate so 1.45 (2Hrs tops) to the boarding gate.

If you were going to Dublin airport from Naas its C.45Km so around 45mins?? if your lucky off peak? then 1.30 to park (long term) get through security and get to your gate (Say Pier D) thats 2.15. All that is depending on traffic and how busy Dublin Airport is. You could add 1Hr+ if your unlucky. Going to shannon should always take around the same amount of time (as the new road will have a very high capacity).

If it was me I think I would go through Shannon as its SO fast to get from the car park straight to your gate. Never had a delay

I am not sure that so many people from as far as Naas would use Shannon but certainly from the midlands Shannon will become a lot more accessible. The point you make about getting through Dublin airport is very valid. It can take a bit of time to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

I'm not too sure on this, been on Ryanair flights 6 times in last year and can safely say the fastest place we were through to the plane was in Dub but maybe I was just lucky. Even with parking in the long term car parks nevre taken 1.5 hrs from leaving cp to gate. Just dont see it add up moving to Shannon given the demographics of Ireland and the vast majority of the pop having to go to Shannon. But could def see Micky getting plenty of publicity about this.

I would even say that Galway (if it ever got properly expanded or Ryanair committed to the airport there) or the possible midlands airport (pipedream but..:D) or even Knock (M17-M6-M4 would make it quicker than youd think) would also give stiff competition for tourist lolly.

I can definitely see O Leary considering at least one of those airports, at least publicly to bargain some concessions out of DAA.

The likes of Girona work because despite their distance, a connecting bus can make it to the city in no time at all - its all about the infrastructure. If you build it, they will come! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

And O Learys been on DAA's ass this last lifetime about what a rip off they are to be associated with.

O'Leary does that with many airports. It's a publicity / bargaining tool. I saw him giving out about a Spanish airport last year and recently he was blaming high fees for cutting routes (like they always do coming into Autumn) in one of the London airports.

He'll keep moaning about airports but he'll fly to where he can make money. If that's Shannon then that's where he'll go. I doubt he'd move there because the DAA charge him to land in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Why is this such a fuss??:rolleyes:

We could all be dead in a few years and your all worrying what O'leary will decide to do with air routes when the M7 is finished.

Good jesus is this even today's hot topic.

mysterious wrote: »
    Why is this such a fuss??:rolleyes:

We could all be dead in a few years and your all worrying what O'leary will decide to do with air routes when the M7 is finished.

Good jesus is this even today's hot topic.

A simple "I agree" or "I disagree" would do. Even no post would be better.

Normally i dont advocate threads started about a users (shall we say) posting style. But i may take an exception today

If the topic is boring to you, dont post in it. Thats what i do when you discuss something cumbersome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Girona city itself has a decent pop of 95k.
    The Airport also serves northern Catalunya - frogbus run a decent service from Perpignan
    Then you have the Costa Brava, this brings a lot of people on holidays using charters and Ryanair.

This is a reasonable amount of pax who aren't going to Barcelona.

And for those going to Barcelona it's ~90 km from the Airport and almost all on Motorway @120 kmh until you get to greater Barcelona when the limit drops to 80 for environmental reasons.

170 is a good bit longer than this, I couldn't see it as being a real option.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

The only way it could happen in my books would be the development of a tgv network from shannon to dublin( so in the medium term highly unlikely) but in the long term it could happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

the gov will give the The bullet to that plan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Zoney wrote: »
    Shannon should be renamed Limerick Airport (or Limerick Shannon Airport) anyway as that's the nearest major population centre, and Shannon isn't immediately obvious location-wise to those abroad given that the river traverses half the country - without looking at a detailed map of Ireland it's not obvious there's a little town called Shannon too.

They could do it Leeds-Bradford or Doncaster-Sheffield style and go with Limerick-Galway Airport.

Shannon is currently only an hour and 15 mins from Galway City Centre on the bus. That journey time will be reduced by up to 20 mins when Gort-Crusheen opens, further again when the Gort-Rathmorrisey motorway gets built and further again when the Galway Bypass gets built (less congestion in Galway City should mean the bus can get out of the City Centre quicker and onto the motorway; the bus wouldn't use the Bypass going to Shannon).
    Limerick is really close and journey times should be improved when the ring road and tunnel open.

It takes between 45 and 56 mins to get from Leeds-Bradford Airport into Leeds City Centre on the bus (depending on what stop you're getting off at in the City Centre). Heck, it can take that long or longer to get from Dublin Airport into Dublin City Centre if traffic is bad!
    serfboard wrote: »

Agree!

PS - If Ryanair want to get some more people using Shannon instead of Dublin then they need to have more early morning and late evening flights to/from the UK. At the moment anyone who wants to do a day return is forced to use Dublin.

Girona city itself has a decent pop of 95k.
    The Airport also serves northern Catalunya - frogbus run a decent service from Perpignan
    Then you have the Costa Brava, this brings a lot of people on holidays using charters and Ryanair.

This is a reasonable amount of pax who aren't going to Barcelona.

This is why I cannot see them moving their Dublin business to Shannon but the new infrastructure i.e. motorways will see Shannon grow and it's catchment area will grow too. It will be interesting to see how the management of Shannon Airport try to take advantage of this.

I agree with other posters, once these motorways are complete, Galway Airport is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

KevR wrote: »
    They could do it Leeds-Bradford or Doncaster-Sheffield style and go with Limerick-Galway Airport.

Not a bad idea either. Unlikely anything like that will happen though - I guess it'll just remain Shannon Airport. Too many parochial interests to accept anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Not EVERYONE who visits Ireland want to go to dublin

Advertisement